homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-21-2006, 03:26 AM   #1
Carvin Fanboy

NickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Are there any hobbyist builders around??

Im looking to speak with afew hobbyist guitar builders.. I am curious about afew things and would like to talk some things over with someone hopefully.

I already spoke to Elysian, but anyone else who builds guitars and wants to possibly help me out, Gimme a PM!

(sorry, it does involve a 6 string though hehe)
NickCormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-21-2006, 04:13 AM   #2
Dis ....in' guy...

JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
talk to DPM he's a builder also Jim Soloway is a builder too.
JPMDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 04:17 AM   #3
dpm
Oni Guitars

dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
PM or email me with your questions and I'll do my best to help, though I am freaking busy these days
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I am looking at building my own guitar, once I can afford tools (I've been saying this for awhile now so I'm not holding my breath). I've been doing research and hopefully will some day be able to afford to pick up tools.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
prototyping...

Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'm currently in the prototyping phase for some very experimental guitar designs. I obsess over this stuff all day - be happy to offer any helpful info I can.
Durero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
metal is forever

rogue will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Rodriguez
I am looking at building my own guitar, once I can afford tools (I've been saying this for awhile now so I'm not holding my breath). I've been doing research and hopefully will some day be able to afford to pick up tools.
what things you after?

im planning on building an acoutic as part of my A level course, i'll b able to use the schools tools. jsut started to chat ideas over with my teacher and he recons he'll let me do it

if its too loud, your too old
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
prototyping...

Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Nick, I'll bet if you post your questions here you'll get plenty of helpful info!
Durero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
still got my no-no

RISKY has a spectacular aura about
i built some Saga kits but thats it, i'd suggest them, it's pretty neat, but they tell you not to solder. I soldered. they have some rubber tubing connectors that i had seen before but never seen on a guitar, so i soldered.

you can get them for under 100 bucks

they took our jyawbs
RISKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 02:34 AM   #9
Fiddich or Morangie???

Chris D is a jewel in the rough
I'm what you'd call a hobbyist builder, I've put together about 10 guitars over the years...

I say "put together" cos they mostly I use premade parts, I've made a few bodies from scratch, but I've only built guitars with premade necks.
I just haven't got the room/tools/time to build from scratch.

I'd suggest this, at least to start with, as the most daunting part to make is the neck/fretboard.
Try Warmoth/Allparts/WD Music Products for necks.
You can get some with "paddle" (unshaped) headstocks, so you get to choose your own headstock shape, tuner configuration etc. You should be able to find one with the fretwire-size & fretboard radius/material that you're after.

Then cos the "complicated" bit's already sorted you get to concentrate on stuff like body shape & material, pickup type & placement, bridge type, hardware spec, finish & the like...

This way you can get some finished guitars & experience & move on to making your own necks later when you're workshop's better equipped.

If you start out like this ( using premade necks ) all you need is:
Workbench with vice & clamps
Router
Pillar drill (you can get pillar attachments for regular handheld electric drills)
Regular woodworking tools (rasps/files, sander, Tsquare, steel rule etc)

As for cutting the body shape you may find a helpful hardware/lumber shop or carpenter's workshop that will bandsaw the basic shape for you for a few quid.

What do you have planned?
Chris D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 03:32 AM   #10
ss.org Regular

Bassies7string is on a distinguished road
I'm in the same league as Beelzebloke, but i have a builder build half fabricate necks custom to my order. That makes it more flexible for me to build strange things like 8 string guitars or basses. Post your questions here, ill think everyone will gladly answer them.
Bassies7string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 09:33 PM   #11
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue
what things you after?

im planning on building an acoutic as part of my A level course, i'll b able to use the schools tools. jsut started to chat ideas over with my teacher and he recons he'll let me do it

For my first guitar, I wanted something simple. Limba neck, so the tone would be similar to mahogany without the weight, and mahogany body. I wanted a smaller body (similar to the Oni in size, not quite shape) so I chose Limba for the neck to make sure it wouldn't get neck heavy. 6 string, neck through, Kahler trem, blank ebony fret board, stainless steel frets, floyd rose locking nut, 25.5 inch scale. No binding or fancy inlay work to complicate my first guitar. I was thinking of just doing an RG shape for starters. Would paint it a solid color, probably white.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2006, 02:39 AM   #12
Carvin Fanboy

NickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Well, I don't think my "creation" could be as simple as just a warmoth neck and body..

I probably am going to get the neck custom made, with a custom inlay.. and headstock. Also I want a neckthru, I really dislike bolt ons, so its not so easy as if you mess up the body, you can just start over..

I was asking if it was possible to do shaping with just a router alone.. but I really don't want to get into it because I have very little experiance, the whole bit.. I guess i'll just have to wait and see what becomes available to me, in terms of possibly finding someone who can do a body blank for me for a good price.. I already have all the parts, just a matter of getting the body routed and made up.
NickCormier is offline   Reply With Quote