homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
What guitar am I describing?

I'm about at my wits' end trying to find a guitar that'll do. I know whatever I get I'll be happy with, but I can't satisfy myself enough that I want something to let go of the money.

I play a lot of very jazzy music, but like to rock out every now and again, I do have a UV though so it doesn't need to cover any extreme territory.

Here's what I like...

High end, don't want a Schecter or something, it'll most likely be USA made, but I haven't ruled out the Japanese brandfs
Double cut, strat-like shape (not SG type).
Ideally bolt on, but not crucial.
Rosewood or Ebony boards, generally Rosewood. Not Maple though.
I'm not fussed by 22 or 24 frets, I'd probably take 22 if I was doing a custom build, but it's not crucial.
It has to have a trem, this is essential.
Mahogany or Alder body.

I've thought of
PRS Customs (which I'm revisiting), but they're pricey
Jackson USA Soloists but they're very bright, I already have an RR1 and they're pretty hard to find around here
Ibanez JEM's, one of which I've already had and as cool as they are, they're not for me and I have a UV
Music Man, Morse or Petrucci, but I've had a Petrucci and just didn't clck with it, I can't for the life of me find a standard Morse with a trem that isn't blue. I hate blue!
ESP, been there, done that, had 2 standards and got bored of them. Don't like the 'image' they carry, as gay as that sounds.

Anybody? I'd appreciate any sensible suggestions...

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Orange Vigilante

AvantGuardian is a glorious beacon of lightAvantGuardian is a glorious beacon of lightAvantGuardian is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Carvin? They've got a number of bolt-on models and I'd say the quality is pretty high-end.

Metameric - "Sneaky prog rock" straight outta Seattle
(Our EP is now streaming for free!):
www.facebook.com/metamericband

www.twitter.com/metamericband

www.reverbnation.com/metameric
AvantGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
I couldn't try one, too risky. Very very good suggestion though, i'll see if there's anything Carvin for sale around London.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

Unread 02-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jazzy, but rock out... I'm with the above. Carvin. Holdsworth model in particular.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Sweet Pickle

stryker1800 is a jewel in the rough
Suhr, just bought a pro modern, since you don't want maple you can get them with Pau Ferro which I understand is similar to rosewood. I don't know what their pickups are like for really jazzy stuff but they certainly aren't high output.
stryker1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
xeL
SS.org Regular

xeL has a spectacular aura about
PRS CE series, theres a particularly nice CE22 on eBay right now that shouldn't go for a whole load.
xeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

motomoto is a jewel in the rough
^what he said + a set of P-Rails for ultimate versatility
motomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

davidb1986 is a jewel in the rough
What about a Music Man Silhouette? They're American made, Strat-like shape, bolt on neck, can have rosewood or ebony fretboard. Sounds like the guitar you described to me.

1986 Lotus MIJ '62 RI Stratocaster Copy-Lake Placid Blue All Stock
1988 Takamine EF349 all Mahogany Acoustic/Electric-Dark Mahogany all stock
2001 Gibson Les Paul Custom-Black Gibson Burstbucker 1 & 2 PUs
2011 Raven West RM300DX LP Custom copy-Green Lizard Quilt/Satin Gold HW PRS #7 PUs
2011 Paul Reed Smith Singlecut SE-Scarlet Red/Gold HW PRS VB and HFS PUs 5 Way Rotary Knob
2011 Paul Reed Smith Tremonti Tribal SE-Black, Tremonti Tribal decal PRS Dragon II B and #6 T PUs
davidb1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Underworld is a name known to allUnderworld is a name known to allUnderworld is a name known to allUnderworld is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
+1 to the Musicman Silhouette these are awesome guitars.

<a href=https://www.facebook.com/pages/Progenies/452143194873352 target=_blank>https://www.facebook.com/pages/Proge...52143194873352</a>
Underworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvantGuardian View Post
Carvin? They've got a number of bolt-on models and I'd say the quality is pretty high-end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post
I couldn't try one, too risky. Very very good suggestion though, i'll see if there's anything Carvin for sale around London.
Carvin bolt ons are quite excellent, they are about as good as you can do for a reasonable price without going full custom. They are often overlooked due to the low USA price (I know they gouge internationally unfortunately), but are on par with their other builds, they do not have less awesome, just easier to build so cheaper.

I have a contour, you have seen the mods I did to that guitar so I thought it was worth while (those mods on whole are around 500+$) on a guitar that was 1300 USD at the time or something (+ shipping etc)

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

ItWillDo is a jewel in the rough
How about a Caparison TAT/Dellinger/Horus? If I had money this is what I'd go for.
ItWillDo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

jl-austin is a jewel in the rough
Never mind, didn't see the no ESP at first, sorry.

Although, it sure does sound like you want an ESP (except without what ever image you have of them)!

Revelation 20:12
jl-austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #13
Some call me... Tim

Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.
Don't forget to look in to G&L.

EDITED TO ADD: Like maybe a Legacy Deluxe.

Grand Moff Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
OP- you're looking for high-end, but the PRS SE Torero at about $1k looks like it would match most of your criteria. They are sharp-looking and I've heard good things.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #16
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Moff Tim View Post
Don't forget to look in to G&L.

EDITED TO ADD: Like maybe a Legacy Deluxe.

A very good point, I overlooked them (shame on me) but those should be available to try in the UK. That onei s ridiculous. They have a knew steel saddle/steel block trem out too the "DFS" (dual fulcrum steel) as well as added SS frets as an option (but wouldn't do it for me in August...)

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
SS Contributor

jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Tom Anderson guitars are super nice, but they have a hefty price tag for the most part, but they have some of the most unbelievable tops I've ever seen.

Beard Sound Machines Jazzmaster
Beard Sound Machines Jazzcaster
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender AVRI '52 Reissue Telecaster
First Act Custom Shop Delia/Delia LS Hybrid

Dr. Z 6545
Orange PPC412

Instagram: @beardsoundmachines
lostswimmer.bandcamp.com
jordanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #18
Some call me... Tim

Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
A very good point, I overlooked them (shame on me) but those should be available to try in the UK. That onei s ridiculous. They have a knew steel saddle/steel block trem out too the "DFS" (dual fulcrum steel) as well as added SS frets as an option (but wouldn't do it for me in August...)
I'm GASing pretty damned hard for an SC-2 these days.
Grand Moff Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #19
ss.org Regular

Dvaienat is a jewel in the rough
I think you want a USA Jackson DK1. It's exactly what you want. It can be had for just over £1200. Comes in loads of different finishes. You're bound to find one you like. Plus, Jackson quality is top notch. Amazing guitars.

Jackson® Guitars : The Bloodline

If you like neck-thru and mahogany, maybe an SL2H-MAHQ:
Jackson® Guitars : The Bloodline

I'd personally recommend the SL2H-MAHQ or the SL2H-MAH.
Dvaienat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #20
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
ibanez S - series?
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #21
Electrifying

Mmmm lots to think about...

Amazing response thanks.

I've always digged the Jacksons, they're definitely right up there in the list.

PRS I like the idea of, but have played literally hundreds of the buggers and have never quite connected with one. Then again, I've never been playing one with the intention of buying, just noodling. My shop was a pretty big PRS stockist until recently...

I really really really really like Tom Anderson, but new they're just way out of my price range, and trying a used one has proven pretty tough. One of Tom Andersons I tried I absolutely fell in love with but it belongs to a friend of mine and me loving it makes him love it even more because he knows I don't have it!

Suhr are too expensive I think, unless a good used one comes up in the states. Nice on paper, but again the ones I've tried I've never quite bonded with. I'd probably take an Anderson over one anyhow and they're cheaper used...

I was planning on picking up an SSS Silo in the near future anyway, so that doesn't come into this. I like them, but not for my everyday stuff.

I hate G&L, don't ask me why, I don't know lol.

I unfortunately associate Vigier with cheap shit, they sold some pretty awful imports around the EU for a long time and I've never gotten that image out of my head, I'll have a look for one though. They do seem to be in that Anderson/Suhr kinda boat, which again I'd probably take an Anderson from. Good thought though.

If I were swayed by a Caparison, I'd save myself a couple of grand and buy a 1995 Japanese Dinky, nicer headstock, same build, sold. Some japanese guitars just lack soul...

I've never played a J-Custom and I'm not taking a gamble that expensive. I've definitely seen some I'd love to own for not too bad money though.

I think that covers it.

Thanks dudes, I'll rep some folks and get back onto google/ebay.

Unread 02-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #22
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
How about a Mayones Setius Pro?

Setius PRO 6
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #23
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno is deemed true by Crom himselfBloody_Inferno is deemed true by Crom himselfBloody_Inferno is deemed true by Crom himselfBloody_Inferno is deemed true by Crom himselfBloody_Inferno is deemed true by Crom himselfBloody_Inferno is deemed true by Crom himselfBloody_Inferno is deemed true by Crom himselfBloody_Inferno is deemed true by Crom himselfBloody_Inferno is deemed true by Crom himselfBloody_Inferno is deemed true by Crom himselfBloody_Inferno is deemed true by Crom himselfBloody_Inferno is deemed true by Crom himself
There's plenty of used J-Customs that go for a fraction of the price of a new one. They usually turn up on the bay or the other Japanese stores like Ikebe.

Some other suggestions:

James Tyler Guitars Tyler Guitars

Valley Arts Guitars pre-Gibson, pre-Samick Valley Arts Guitars
They do insist on being pre-Gibson and pre-Samick...

I was going to suggest G-Life guitars but the price tag is pretty steep.
Bloody_Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #24
ss.org Regular

Elmoman is on a distinguished road
Suhr Modern? Or classic. Great quality guitars. You're looking for humbuckers or singles?
Elmoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #25
ss.org Regular

kevyp12 will become famous soon enough
youve dissmissed every good guitar out there... maybe what youre looking for.. is a new instrument. just quit haha

\m/ Cauterization envelops your soul as all joy drains from your body \m/
kevyp12 is offline   Reply With Quote