homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #51
ss.org Regular

alfaphlex is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
awesome first post and awesome guitars Chaz
alfaphlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #52
ss.org Regular

Lucas_061287 is a jewel in the rough
I like it. Alot. Very good ideas. I'd love to play one. Also, I kinda like that Explorer shaped one. Very unique.

"To lead and to fulfill the plebeians' desires, to corrupt and subvert.
I need but to despise the very substance of truth and define what is right."
-Sybreed, A.E.O.N
Lucas_061287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #53
Taokaka BOOM!

asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I personally actually really liked that Explorer shape and that paint job, too.
asher is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #54
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Welcome to the forum Chaz! Any chance we could hear how those babies sound? I was pretty sad that we didn't get to hear it in that video from the first post, would love to see how your guitars sound plugged into something, sir!

Guitars: PRS (lots <3), Suhr, Parker, Schecter, Carvin
Rigs: Kemper + Atomic CLR, Invader 100, H&K GrandMeister 36 + Port City and Mojo cabs w/ Scumback M75's/Hellatone 60's

HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #55
SS.org Regular

splinter8451 is a glorious beacon of lightsplinter8451 is a glorious beacon of lightsplinter8451 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Like I said in the other thread that was up about these guitars, I really like the ideas and I really like the strat-ish body shape. Those cavities in the back are pretty genius. Especially the one for the trem bar. Id love to have that in my RG's I misplace trem bars a lot.

I'm excited to see some 7's and 8's

"And I want a blowjob from Emma Watson, but sometimes we just gotta deal with what we're given!" -The Armada

my youtube channel- http://www.youtube.com/user/vitreusMD?feature=mhum SikTh, Cyclamen After the Burial covers. More on the way!
splinter8451 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #56
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
All of those ideas are ....ing awesome. Great job Chaz.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #57
SS.org Regular

vanhendrix is a jewel in the rough
I wanna get on board with this. I like the idea of somebody taking it upon themselves to put some of the better advances out there into one sick package.

My million dollar question: what's the story about lefties?
vanhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #58
SS.org Regular

edsped is just really niceedsped is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter8451 View Post
Like I said in the other thread that was up about these guitars, I really like the ideas and I really like the strat-ish body shape. Those cavities in the back are pretty genius. Especially the one for the trem bar. Id love to have that in my RG's I misplace trem bars a lot.

I'm excited to see some 7's and 8's
Yeah, I could see a 7 string Shark possibly being next on my list of guitars to buy, depending a little on the price.
edsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #59
ss.org Regular

10-32 Guitars is a jewel in the rough
Thanks again for the good words guys.

Lefty is no problem. Perhaps the easiest major change from a standard right handed setup actually.

I'm planning on getting some video from NAMM of a great player named Max Carlisle up tomorrow. In the mean time, there is sound from the Hank Shermann signature up on the HSV page Hank put together - Sound

That particular axe has a custom wound Nordstrand set called the "overlord" in it. The guy that made those for us no longer works there so not sure if theyre actually even available anymore!

Keep the questions comin! I love talkin' shop wil fellow axe slingers
10-32 Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #60
ss.org Regular

Hi guys...

I kinda jumped into the conversation (and the forum) over at this thread - 10-32 guitars - innovative stuff

perhaps we could get a mod to merge the threads?

Stealthtastic - I didnt completely annihilate a FR every 6 months by any means, but the knife edges wore down enough to eliminate any chance of a consistent return to zero. In my mind, a trem without a consistent return to zero is no longer a useful piece of hardware. Whats the saying? Great tone dont mean sh*t if youre not in tune
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #61
Taokaka BOOM!

asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I wonder what thoughts about making more use of the magnetic cavity plates on the back to cover some of the new routes would be? Like, if you bunched the wrench and trem arm cavities together as "utility routing" and gave them a snap off cover, too, just to keep the back more uniform. This might not be much of a priority, though, and I have no idea how well that'd work with a wireless unit.
asher is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #62
ss.org Regular

There are some potential issues there, but plenty of options to make it work.

Instruments with heavily contoured tops have limited available cavity depth. The only model I make that doesnt have a contoured top standard is the HSV. The Shark, BTG, and CGV all have coutoured backs as well, so theyre even more limited. Of course, the contours arent required by any means, so you could do this with any of the models, youd just have to give up at least a portion of the contours. Other alternatives would be using a 2" thick blank. I start with 1.75" for everything currently.

I plan to do builds for each model without contours just to create more options and give people more aesthetic variety to choose from. A "contourless" CG6 is an instrument I plan to do for myself at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher View Post
I wonder what thoughts about making more use of the magnetic cavity plates on the back to cover some of the new routes would be? Like, if you bunched the wrench and trem arm cavities together as "utility routing" and gave them a snap off cover, too, just to keep the back more uniform. This might not be much of a priority, though, and I have no idea how well that'd work with a wireless unit.
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #63
ss.org Regular

Lucas_061287 is a jewel in the rough
^Welcome aboard man. And SWEET guitars BTW. I'd love to get one some day.

"To lead and to fulfill the plebeians' desires, to corrupt and subvert.
I need but to despise the very substance of truth and define what is right."
-Sybreed, A.E.O.N
Lucas_061287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #64
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-32 Guitars View Post
Hi guys...

I kinda jumped into the conversation (and the forum) over at this thread - 10-32 guitars - innovative stuff

Stealthtastic - I didnt completely annihilate a FR every 6 months by any means, but the knife edges wore down enough to eliminate any chance of a consistent return to zero. In my mind, a trem without a consistent return to zero is no longer a useful piece of hardware. Whats the saying? Great tone dont mean sh*t if youre not in tune
I see what your saying, but my I've played tons of year old or older guitars with OFR's that stay perfectly in tune. I feel like your statement is more than slightly exaggerative.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #65
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:

I didn't realize there were too.

Welcome to the forum man. I love Ibanez hardware so it's great to see a builder use it.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #66
POSTING ON INTERNET

Miek is just really niceMiek is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post

I didn't relise their were too.

Welcome to the forum man. I love Ibanez hardware so it's great to see a builder use it.
Ibanez made me a believer in the magic of double locking trems.
Miek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:58 PM   #67
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
I see what your saying, but my I've played tons of year old or older guitars with OFR's that stay perfectly in tune. I feel like your statement is more than slightly exaggerative.
I suppose it depends how they're used. I tend to abuse the shit out of mine, and more than a couple of my first FRs were probably the licensed variety and made with inferior materials. I've broken aluminum drumsticks on a vdrums kit on 3 separate occasions to give you an idea of how violent I tend to be on stage
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #68
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Fair enough then
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #69
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I love the guitars, and I love the chops.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:59 AM   #70
Pronounced "FEE"

BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
I've broken aluminum drumsticks on a vdrums kit on 3 separate occasions to give you an idea of how violent I tend to be on stage
HOW THE HELL?!?!?!?! Aluminum vs. Mesh and Rubber?

Self-appointed member of the Sevenstring.org Welcoming Committee
(alongside Bloody_Inferno, Zealous, Shawn, Apophis, AliceAxe, M3CHKILLA, Fred the Shred, Explorer, and Sebastian) ROFL

My Policy: If you make me laugh in a post or offer something interesting/thought-provoking, you get Rep +1. Pretty simple, right? Waiting now for incoming barrage of funny jokes.

BigPhi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #71
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhi84 View Post
HOW THE HELL?!?!?!?! Aluminum vs. Mesh and Rubber?
Mostly due to exceptionally poor drumming skills. They keep telling me to play with my wrists...its just not as much fun as the full range power hammer stroke

Let me ask you guys a question....Im considering testing this new Edge Zero II trem (replaceable knife edges!) to see how it compares to the ZR. I doubt anyone has their hands on this latest version yet, but does anyone own an axe with the original Edge Zero in it? Thoughts on it?
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #72
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Mostly due to exceptionally poor drumming skills. They keep telling me to play with my wrists...its just not as much fun as the full range power hammer stroke

Let me ask you guys a question....Im considering testing this new Edge Zero II trem (replaceable knife edges!) to see how it compares to the ZR. I doubt anyone has their hands on this latest version yet, but does anyone own an axe with the original Edge Zero in it? Thoughts on it?
The older Edge designs had removable knife edge plates as well, it's just REALLY hard to find the replacements anywhere. I've only seen Rich Harris get them in stock a few times over the course of the last ten years or so. I guess you could get custom ones made, but that'd be pretty pricey to do in a small batch with some high quality steel.

I like the Edge Zero, maybe not as much as the Lo-Pro Edge, but it's still a solid unit. The movement feels like half way between the Lo-Pro Edge and Edge Pro, so it's slightly on the stiffer side most of the time. Imagine a ZR but without that "bouncy" ball bearing feel and with that slight "angular" feel knife edge systems are known for.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #73
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
The older Edge designs had removable knife edge plates as well, it's just REALLY hard to find the replacements anywhere. I've only seen Rich Harris get them in stock a few times over the course of the last ten years or so. I guess you could get custom ones made, but that'd be pretty pricey to do in a small batch with some high quality steel.

I like the Edge Zero, maybe not as much as the Lo-Pro Edge, but it's still a solid unit. The movement feels like half way between the Lo-Pro Edge and Edge Pro, so it's slightly on the stiffer side most of the time. Imagine a ZR but without that "bouncy" ball bearing feel and with that slight "angular" feel knife edge systems are known for.
I figured they were hard to come by...those new locking nuts that dont require the retaining bar are as well, but I did snag one on ebay for a ridiculous $25 yesterday. Rich might get 2 of em a year, & he wants like $60 bones if I remember right.

If I try out the Edge Zero I may try to reproduce the knife edges with my CNC. Wonder what kind of market there is for them...

Thx for the feedback on the trem. They seem to be easier to find and cheaper than the ZR, at least for now.
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #74
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
I figured they were hard to come by...those new locking nuts that dont require the retaining bar are as well, but I did snag one on ebay for a ridiculous $25 yesterday. Rich might get 2 of em a year, & he wants like $60 bones if I remember right.

If I try out the Edge Zero I may try to reproduce the knife edges with my CNC. Wonder what kind of market there is for them...

Thx for the feedback on the trem. They seem to be easier to find and cheaper than the ZR, at least for now.
If you're willing to make inserts for the Ibanez/Gotoh trems, you may find a decent market for them over on Jemsite. I know a few guys who would love to breath some life into their old, beaten, abused trems, myself included.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #75
Death Metal™

cwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of lightcwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of lightcwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrock View Post
this. i wasn't too impressed honestly...

i'm impressed

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

cwhitey2 is offline   Reply With Quote