homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
PRS SE Inspector

Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This is what I do to rejected PRS SE guitars (It sucks but someone has to do it)

So it's near the end of the year here at PRS and me and the other SE Inspector have decided to do something we havent done in about 3 years. And that is break all the SE guitars that had stuff wrong with them. I look forward to this because it's a crazy sight to see guitars just laying around and smashed. We take all the parts off of them and catalog them into our parts rack. These guitars have bad truss rods, cracked neck joints, tuner holes drilled off center, bad CNC body and neck carves, or shipping damage from Korea. They are all structral flaws. I figured I'd show you guys how it works. These guitars were collected over the last 3-4 years and have been sitting around waiting for a week to catalog all of them.

This is just a little pile we had going today that needed to be broken.

Here's another pile that we still have to strip all the parts off of.

These are the bodies after we broke the necks out of them. We just lean the neck on the edge of a wooden pallet and stomp on the body and the neck breaks out. We then take the bodies and lay them diagonally on the pallet and the ground like a ramp and stomp on the bodies to break them in half. (I dont have a picture of that.)

These are the necks after we break them out of the bodies. We write down every model that we destroy and the serial number on the headstock and why is was destroyed.

We still have some guitars left to do for the rest of the week. I know alot of people will be heartbroken or angry that we do this but it has to be done. Hope you guys like a little inside look at what I do from time to time.

"It's a long way, to the top, if you wanna rock n' roll" - Bon Scott

BE A MAN AND SIGN THE NEG REP YOU GIVE ME, PLEASE.
Riffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
ss.org Regular

Shashing will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
ΩGJ :3

Alberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to behold
It definitely does break my heart to see this, but at the same time it's actually interesting to take a peak behind the scenes. Like you said, someone has to do it. You actually have a job I envy . Can't you take one of those quilted-topped bodies as a souvenir?

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Awesome! So that the pile from 3 years? Holy shit thats not many guitars at all.

Also you can cut a body in half by curb stomping it? I imagine that has to be really hard.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Glad you are doing, too many companies don't. Carvin posted a video of a near completion carved top being chopped up with a bandsaw. This stuff is nothing to be upset over, it is the sign of a good company.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
PRS SE Inspector

Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto7 View Post
It definitely does break my heart to see this, but at the same time it's actually interesting to take a peak behind the scenes. Like you said, someone has to do it. You actually have a job I envy . Can't you take one of those quilted-topped bodies as a souvenir?
Maybe every once in awhile they will let someone take a guitar body. I have acouple that my girlfriend is suppose to make into a clock or something.

Unread 11-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

motomoto is a jewel in the rough
*tear*

but at least the faulty ones, don't end up for sale in a music store...like some Schecters i've seen
motomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
PRS SE Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customisbetter View Post
Awesome! So that the pile from 3 years? Holy shit thats not many guitars at all.

Also you can cut a body in half by curb stomping it? I imagine that has to be really hard.
I didnt take a picture of all the guitars we have to do. The total amount of guitars is probably 3-4 times what it is in the pictures. Which still isnt very many considering how many guitars we get a year. Our rejection rate is less than .5% actually. And yes you can break a guitar in half (length ways, from neck joint to bottom strap button) my doing what we do to it. I'll take a picture of how we do it so you can see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
Glad you are doing, too many companies don't. Carvin posted a video of a near completion carved top being chopped up with a bandsaw. This stuff is nothing to be upset over, it is the sign of a good company.
Thanks man

Unread 11-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Awesome insider pics, shame, but it has to be done, QC FTW
Zombie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
LowCrushingMetal

Evil7 is a glorious beacon of lightEvil7 is a glorious beacon of lightEvil7 is a glorious beacon of light
I bet it kinda feels good to destroy something that looks so nice ... A guitar people drool over and would love to have..... I bet you feel naughty when you do it dontcha!

Check out my band SPINE EXTRACTION
MIXED METAL!
Clear understandable Vocals
www.reverbnation.com/spineextraction

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spine-...52390211438377
Add us!
Evil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

jl-austin is a jewel in the rough
You all could have just re-labeled them Agiles and sold them!

Revelation 20:12
jl-austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
LowCrushingMetal

Evil7 is a glorious beacon of lightEvil7 is a glorious beacon of lightEvil7 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl-austin View Post
You all could have just re-labeled them Agiles and sold them!

Check out my band SPINE EXTRACTION
MIXED METAL!
Clear understandable Vocals
www.reverbnation.com/spineextraction

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spine-...52390211438377
Add us!
Evil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
PRS SE Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil7 View Post
I bet it kinda feels good to destroy something that looks so nice ... A guitar people drool over and would love to have..... I bet you feel naughty when you do it dontcha!
It's a good stress reliever for sure. I dont feel good because other people want these guitars though. I feel good because I like knowing that I work for a company that cares a lot about the product and that the other inspector and I were able to catch these before they went out the door.

Unread 11-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
U gonna eat that?

Deadnightshade is a glorious beacon of lightDeadnightshade is a glorious beacon of lightDeadnightshade is a glorious beacon of light
Are there any guitars that are still functional?I mean with small blemishes but are still functional?

Die.Get cremated.Laugh your ash off..
Deadnightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
Turd Ferguson

yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Man it looks like there were a lot of bad 25th anniversary Cu24's. Mostly all scarlet red and royal blue ones. Glad I got a vintage yellow
yellowv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #16
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
I feel like I could have utilized at least one of those...
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #17
PRS SE Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnightshade View Post
Are there any guitars that are still functional?I mean with small blemishes but are still functional?
The ones that aren't structural damage we will look at and decide whether or not to fix them. Sometimes we fix them and use them as give away guitars or promotional stuff. And other times we junk them or use them for mockups for different hardware/eletronics/paint combos.

Unread 11-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #18
ss.org Regular

Gameboypdc will become famous soon enough
*cries* This is horrible! You are a sick sick man for posting such horrific imagery. To me this is no worse than taking pictures of a pile of dead bodies on the floor ready to be burned. I know these were just SE models, but I don't think my heart can handle the sight of anymore guitars destroyed. So don't get any crazy ideas! *Gently pats my PRS custom. It's okay baby the mean man wont hurt you, your in a good home.*
Gameboypdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #19
[10]

Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameboypdc View Post
*cries* This is horrible! You are a sick sick man for posting such horrific imagery. To me this is no worse than taking pictures of a pile of dead bodies on the floor ready to be burned. I know these were just SE models, but I don't think my heart can handle the sight of anymore guitars destroyed. So don't get any crazy ideas! *Gently pats my PRS custom. It's okay baby the mean man wont hurt you, your in a good home.*
Razzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #20
Consumer Whore

XeoFLCL is a splendid one to beholdXeoFLCL is a splendid one to beholdXeoFLCL is a splendid one to beholdXeoFLCL is a splendid one to beholdXeoFLCL is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Whats up with the 6 string with what appears to be an EMG707 in it on the last pic? Just curious

Check out my band, 1371:
www.facebook.com/1371band

¯\(゜Д゜)

¯\(゜Д゜)/¯

¯\(゜Д゜ 三゜Д゜)/¯

"North Korean women in uniforms waving at the traffic, raining from the sky on platforms, hold by giant umbrellas. Scary... just wait until they invent electricity and traffic lights. Imagine traffic lights falling from the sky and just confusing everyone..." - SD83
XeoFLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #21
String Theorist

AcousticMinja is just really niceAcousticMinja is just really nice
Win.
AcousticMinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #22
[10]

Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeoFLCL View Post
Whats up with the 6 string with what appears to be an EMG707 in it on the last pic? Just curious
I count seven strings.
Razzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
That's a P90 shape.

troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #24
PRS SE Inspector

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
I count seven strings.
It is the other inspectors SE One guitar. It came with a single soapbar but he took it out and installed a EMG 81 soapbar in its place. Sorry guys, it's not a 7, though that would be insanely awesome if it was.

Unread 11-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

Tristoner7 is a glorious beacon of lightTristoner7 is a glorious beacon of lightTristoner7 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Being a huge PRS fan, its always cool to see a "behind-the-scenes" look at how the company functions. Which SE model had the most problems and what was the most common problem with that model ? Also, what do you do with all of the necks/bodies ?
Tristoner7 is offline   Reply With Quote