homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

esdreas is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for a very versatile guitar...

now I know that it's all about preference etc etc. but I'd like to get some of your guys' opinions on what some good ideas would be. I'd prefer something with a tremolo, but really thats it, nothing too specific. sorry for no help from me, but anyways, shoot away!

esdreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 133 reviews
Versatility comes at a cost and preference

I'd say Jackson Soloists are great and very versatile.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
Versatility comes at a cost and preference

I'd say Jackson Soloists are great and very versatile.
haha yea thats what I forgot to mention... I'd have to say 2000$ is about the max I'd like to spend on this. I do like the few Jacksons I've played though, maybe cause thats my name...

Unread 04-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Versatility comes more from the pickups in the guitar and the rig you're using then the actual guitar itself.

I'd go with a guitar with an H-S-H pickup arrangement with two coil-tappable humbuckers in the bridge and neck position. All controlled by a 5-way switch, as well as push pull knobs for tapping on the volume and tone controls.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #5

Nick1 is a name known to allNick1 is a name known to allNick1 is a name known to allNick1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would suggest checking out Ernie Ball Music Man guitars. Amazing guitars at a good price. Im using a EBMM Silhouette model. Alder body maple neck (RW is an option too) with Dimarzios in an HSH config. It has a 2 point trem (option as well) with push in bar that stays wherever you put it. As well as a brass trem block for massive sustain. Schaller locking tuners, comp nut and a 5 bolt contoured neck joint. And I spent WAY less than 2Gs on it.

When the world flips you a Jeffery, stroke a furry wall
Nick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1 View Post
I would suggest checking out Ernie Ball Music Man guitars. Amazing guitars at a good price. Im using a EBMM Silhouette model. Alder body maple neck (RW is an option too) with Dimarzios in an HSH config. It has a 2 point trem (option as well) with push in bar that stays wherever you put it. As well as a brass trem block for massive sustain. Schaller locking tuners, comp nut and a 5 bolt contoured neck joint. And I spent WAY less than 2Gs on it.
yea, I have heard of those. any idea where I could try one/ how much they go for now? thanks guys all the advice is awesome

Unread 04-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esdreas View Post
yea, I have heard of those. any idea where I could try one/ how much they go for now? thanks guys all the advice is awesome
They go for about $1500 here in the US, though the price varies depending on the options.

For dealers, just go here: Ernie Ball Music Man Dealer Locator

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
They go for about $1500 here in the US, though the price varies depending on the options.

For dealers, just go here: Ernie Ball Music Man Dealer Locator
wow why didnt I think of that... thanks man

Unread 04-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Used Parker MidiFly

Trem that is easy to lock and unlock, piezos, and an actual MIDI output instead of that Roland garbage.
troyguitar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
Used Parker MidiFly

Trem that is easy to lock and unlock, piezos, and an actual MIDI output instead of that Roland garbage.
Do they really go for that cheap used?

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
They're extremely rare, but the last one I saw went for like $1500 IIRC.
troyguitar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
Carvin Fanboy

NickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Carvin DC135 or any Carvin.. hell if you want real versatility, AE185 (semi-hollow with piezo bridge, two humbuckers)

used can be had for anywhere from $450 to 800, new around 900-1400.
NickCormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCormier View Post
Carvin DC135 or any Carvin.. hell if you want real versatility, AE185 (semi-hollow with piezo bridge, two humbuckers)

used can be had for anywhere from $450 to 800, new around 900-1400.
how would a hollowbody do with heavier types of metal though... I mean nothing tooo insane but would feedback be an issue?

Unread 04-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
how would a hollowbody do with heavier types of metal though... I mean nothing tooo insane but would feedback be an issue?
Semi's aren't too bad, as long as you gate your signal pretty good.

Guys like Ted Nugent have been pouring on the gain with semi, and even full hollows for quite some time, so it can be done.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #15
LowCrushingMetal

Evil7 is a glorious beacon of lightEvil7 is a glorious beacon of lightEvil7 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Versatility comes more from the pickups in the guitar and the rig you're using then the actual guitar itself.

I'd go with a guitar with an H-S-H pickup arrangement with two coil-tappable humbuckers in the bridge and neck position. All controlled by a 5-way switch, as well as push pull knobs for tapping on the volume and tone controls.
The coil-tappable humbuckers will give you the most versatility
edit. The op should read up on the different sounds this setup would give you... This is pretty much "the works".

Check out my band SPINE EXTRACTION
MIXED METAL!
Clear understandable Vocals
www.reverbnation.com/spineextraction

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spine-...52390211438377
Add us!
Evil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #16
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Semi's aren't too bad, as long as you gate your signal pretty good.

Guys like Ted Nugent have been pouring on the gain with semi, and even full hollows for quite some time, so it can be done.
wow I wonder how it would sound... :O

while looking at the musicman site, I took a look at the JP6's... how are they? any of you have good/bad experiences? I mean I've only heard that they're a great shredders guitar, but for cleaner or blues type tones how would it be?

Unread 04-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #17
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
wow I wonder how it would sound... :O

while looking at the musicman site, I took a look at the JP6's... how are they? any of you have good/bad experiences? I mean I've only heard that they're a great shredders guitar, but for cleaner or blues type tones how would it be?
The JP6's are really versatile. Might not be the most versatile guitar money can buy, but considering the Piezo option they can do a lot. The stock pickups might not be the best for bluesier playing, but with the right amp settings I'm more than confident it can be done.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #18
BTBAM!?

Selkies will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I absolutely love my JP6. I can pull any kind of tone I want out of that and my dual rec with a few pedals (boost chorus and delay). Neck is absolutely amazing. And the crunchlab/liquified combo is also great. I'd deffinatly say try one out. I play in a death metal band, deathcore band, and a jazz trio and I use it for them all.
Selkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #19
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkies View Post
I absolutely love my JP6. I can pull any kind of tone I want out of that and my dual rec with a few pedals (boost chorus and delay). Neck is absolutely amazing. And the crunchlab/liquified combo is also great. I'd deffinatly say try one out. I play in a death metal band, deathcore band, and a jazz trio and I use it for them all.
nice stuff! will have to check them out, closest musicman dealer is 3 hours away so will have to wait a while. thanks for all the opinions guys

Unread 04-02-2010, 12:04 AM   #20

Nick1 is a name known to allNick1 is a name known to allNick1 is a name known to allNick1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Even a Guitar Center (or a Guitar Centre) is 3 hours away?

When the world flips you a Jeffery, stroke a furry wall
Nick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #21
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1 View Post
Even a Guitar Center (or a Guitar Centre) is 3 hours away?
As far as I know, there's no Guitar Centers in Canuckistan.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #22
ss.org Regular

Quote:
As far as I know, there's no Guitar Centers in Canuckistan.
hey hey no puttin down canada! haha nah there aren't any, I'm quite certain

Unread 04-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #23
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
hey hey no puttin down canada! haha nah there aren't any, I'm quite certain
Not a put down at all man. Just a funny way of saying Canada that I picked up from here.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:48 AM   #24
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Not a put down at all man. Just a funny way of saying Canada that I picked up from here.

haha allright, sorry bout that, I'm still pretty new here, haven't posted much though I joined like a year ago

Unread 04-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #25
Untilted

Hosenbugler has a spectacular aura about
HSH Strat with coil tap and 22 frets. Pretty much as versatile as you can get.
Hosenbugler is offline   Reply With Quote