homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
The Crimson Comedian

sepherus is just really nicesepherus is just really nice
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Upgrading my Epi LPC (ideas welcome)

I've had my LPC since summer time. I got it because I believe every guitarist should own a LP style guitar. I got this specific one because it was the best feeling and sounding one in my price range when I was hunting. This included the real Gibson LP studios. It just so happens it is my favorite LP finish to boot, silverburst.

When I got it I got a tone pros bridge soon after realized it won't take much to make it go from good to awesome. I'm going to grab a new stop tail or at least locking studs. Thinking about swapping the grovers for some heavier preferably locking tuners.

Next is going be pickups though. Ideally it would be BKP Black Dogs or Gibson 57 Classics. However, I can't justify that kind of cash for a 6er. I want a hot PAF sound, not a high output monster.

Some other ideas I had were either replacing the board with real ebony, though more likely I'll just dye it and oil the hell out of it. I'll pick up a white studio some time for ebony goodness.

Anyone else have some ideas I should think about?

sepherus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Graphtech nut and saddles.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
SS Contributor

xtrustisyoursx is just really nicextrustisyoursx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Gibson Burstbuckers sound really good, as do BKP Mules.
xtrustisyoursx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
The Crimson Comedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Graphtech nut and saddles.
Graphtech saddles are a definite, good call. I was thinking going with an Earvana nut for the sake of intonation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrustisyoursx View Post
Gibson Burstbuckers sound really good, as do BKP Mules.
Burstbuckers aren't my style. Only real Gibson pickups I like are the 57 Classics, or the 500t/496r (in all mahogany no maple cap ala SG.) Mules are a straight up PAF sound by what Zimbloth and Tim have told me, they both recommended Black Dogs over them for what I want. With all the other upgrades I plan on doing though, and the fact that it is a 6er (thus not used that often) I didn't want to go quite that high in price straight away. We'll see though. It may become a non issue if I don't find a better option.

Unread 12-31-2009, 02:06 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

trenolds39 is just really nicetrenolds39 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I dyed the fretboard on my LPC and I think it came out pretty well. You need to be careful that it doesn't get in the binding though. As far as pickups go, have you considered Dimarzio PAF Pros?
trenolds39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
The Crimson Comedian

I have. I'm having a huge internal debate about keeping it stock looking or not. The biggest issue with that being the pickups. There are plenty I love that I think would work well, like the PAF Pro but don't have covers. I've also debated things like a Norton in the bridge and PAF 36th anniversary bridge in the neck, Pearly gates/59(or AII Pro), Mo' Joe/PAF Joe. Then Stew Mac has those Golden Age pickups that I've read some really nice things about and are like $50 a pop. The only problem, I haven't seen enough to trust them yet.

Edit: This may all be a moot point. I just noticed that Gibson 57 Classics at MF went down by like $30 from the last time I checked. \w/

Unread 12-31-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
APEX

Esp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepherus View Post
I got it because I believe every guitarist should own a LP style guitar.
Why do you think that?
Esp Griffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Because it will make you approach your playing differently, and give you a different sound?

That's why I think everyone should at some point in their playing career have a: tele, strat, LP, SG, superstrat.

Seph, I'd just JB/'59 the thing, put locking tuners on it, replace the nut with a bone or tusque one, and leave the rest alone - $100 in pickups, $50? in tuners if you get 'em used, not sure about the nut... killer guitar!

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Guitar Popcicle

AK DRAGON is just really niceAK DRAGON is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by budda View Post
Seph, I'd just JB/'59 the thing, put locking tuners on it, replace the nut with a bone or tusque one, and leave the rest alone - $100 in pickups, $50? in tuners if you get 'em used, not sure about the nut... killer guitar!
+1
As soon as I get my maple Top refinished on my LP I will go this route
AK DRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
The Crimson Comedian

The reasons I think every guitarist should have a LP are pretty much what Budda mentioned, and also recording. I know not everyone is a recording musician, but nothing else sounds like a LP style guitar except another LP style guitar. I wish my other guitars could at least have that neck pickup sound, but they can't.

I had a JB/59 combo before. I'm not a huge fan of the JB. It is a decent pickup but it just gives me a case of the blahs. It is far to high output for what I'm looking for to boot. Pickups are going to be the most subjective thing on my list.

As far as the rest of it though I think I have a decent list with the addition of the nut. Do they make long shaft push/pull knobs? I'm thinking of putting coil splitters and a phase switch in too now.

Unread 12-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepherus View Post
The reasons I think every guitarist should have a LP are pretty much what Budda mentioned, and also recording. I know not everyone is a recording musician, but nothing else sounds like a LP style guitar except another LP style guitar. I wish my other guitars could at least have that neck pickup sound, but they can't.

I had a JB/59 combo before. I'm not a huge fan of the JB. It is a decent pickup but it just gives me a case of the blahs. It is far to high output for what I'm looking for to boot. Pickups are going to be the most subjective thing on my list.

As far as the rest of it though I think I have a decent list with the addition of the nut. Do they make long shaft push/pull knobs? I'm thinking of putting coil splitters and a phase switch in too now.
They sure do.

Look into the Jimmy Page Mod, it gives you coil tapping and phase splitting without any addition holes being drilled.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #12
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What about a seymour duncan Alnico II, whatever Slash uses? used, of course

'59 in neck = secks

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote