homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

View Poll Results: Ibanez or PRS?
Ibanez 47 47.00%
PRS 53 53.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

sevenstringgod is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Question PRS Vs Ibanez?

Just wondering which brand is superior in terms of build quality, and building a better instrument overall Ibanez or PRS? Think CE, Standards and Customs, both 22 and 24's Vs S, SV and RG prestige models.
sevenstringgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
As far as build quality goes, a Custom 24 or 22 will be better than a Prestige RG, S, or SV, though you certainly pay for it.

Though, you do realize those guitars are vastly different, on just about every single level possible?

I will say that a J-Custom Ibanez is on par with PRS, easily.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
As far as build quality goes, a Custom 24 or 22 will be better than a Prestige RG, S, or SV, though you certainly pay for it.

Though, you do realize those guitars are vastly different.

I will say that a J-Custom Ibanez is on par with PRS, easily.
Yeah, it's like comparing apples to oranges really, but my question really is about which are better built, and feel more like an instrument as a whole. I'd go with Ibanez all the way, the vibe is completely different to that of a PRS, but in a good way.
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
LRRG

asphyx123 is just really niceasphyx123 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'd say it pretty much depends on what you are planning to play with it. While PRS makes great sounding guitars with great playability and I truly love my Custom 24, I would highly recommend to go Ibanez or other brands, if you are planning to play stuff that involves a lot of whammy use, as the PRS tremolos aren't really designed for huge divebombs and will be out of tune rather quick.

asphyx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenstringgod View Post
Yeah, it's like comparing apples to oranges really, but my question really is about which are better built, and feel more like an instrument as a whole. I'd go with Ibanez all the way, the vibe is completely different to that of a PRS, but in a good way.
As far as build quality (fit/finish, woodworking, fret work, quality of woods used, quality of components, etc.) PRS, on average, are of a higher standard, concerning their genuine USA built instruments such as the Custom, Standard, and Eagle series guitars. While the Japanese made Ibanez Prestige series, simply can't match the American PRS'. It's not about vibe or preference. It's pretty much fact.

As far as "feel more like an instrument as a whole", that's about preference. I've never played a PRS that really offered me much of what I want in a guitar, regardless of amazing quality. On that level, I'm an Ibanez guy all the way.

In essence, your poll is flawed. Why? Because half of it is fact, and the other is simply down to personal preference.
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Well I guess now the question should be which do you prefer Ibanez or PRS? lol.

And looking at the poll, I'm guessing people are voting by preference. That's good keep the votes coming.

Last edited by sevenstringgod; 12-29-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
In the high end PRS vs. Ibby Prestige lines? PRS. This really doesn't require a poll. Private Stock vs. J-Customs might be another thing entirely, and probably would prove a wash... but so far as regular quality lines go: Mr. Smith.

Thing is, if you want fast feel, double-locking trems, seven & eight string options, etc. on your models... well... there's a reason Ibanez is so popular here.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

I_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Different beasts, but I voted PRS.

Extended Scale Destroyer of Worlds

Still searching for the perfect cab...
I_infect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 12:46 AM   #9
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Totally different guitars; but I've played Ibanez high-end, and PRS SEs through higher-end stuff, and there's no comparison. PRS provides a higher quality product, with better woods, attention to detail, finishing, and electronics.

I also prefer the wide-fat neck to the Wizard, but that's a personal preference.
TemjinStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

Bleak is just really niceBleak is just really nice
I vote for PRS on quality standpoints. Whether or not that works for you is your choice. Both are fantastic in that range - do what you can to try out both.
Bleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 01:03 AM   #11
Уродливый, но честны

JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I've never played an Ibanez that compared to any of the PRS's I've played. But I've also never been able to afford any of the PRS's I've played.
JeffFromMtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 05:24 AM   #12
APEX

Esp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud of
As far as fit and finish goes, I couldn't honestly vote PRS, whatever the price. Some of the stuff I've seen on guitars they charge upwards of 2300 for is shocking.
Esp Griffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 06:25 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

_velkan is just really nice_velkan is just really nice
i voted Ibanez! i love their high end RGs =) and i've played a Custom 24 from the 20th anniversary and it felt like nothing special...
_velkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #14
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Probably because you've been playing ibby's for a while, and prefer everything about ibby's

"which one feels more like an instrument" - what? That's ludicrous dude, both brands products will feel like instruments...

I'd probably go PRS. I don't plan on voting, because this is one of our million "which do you prefer? let's make a preference vote to prove which is "better"!"

They both make good guitars. They're both overpriced. They both appeal to various players. End of story.

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 07:59 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Ckackley is just really niceCkackley is just really nice
I can't even vote on this unfortunately. I've had both and depending on what I'm playing each is great. I've had great Ibbys and bad ones, though even the bad ones weren't THAT bad. My SE Santana was a great guitar, thought it had some sharp fret ends.
Ckackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #16
The GAS Man

Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 102 reviews
I'm one of the biggest Ibby fans around and I'm still going to vote for PRS, haha.. I just get Ibanez guitars more often because of the price, but as long as a PRS is set up properly, everything about it is amazing. The tone is just... its got it going on.
Adam Of Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #17
Ambiente Savante

signalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to all
TBH i dont like either hahaha. none of the above option ?
signalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 08:56 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

Phlegethon is a jewel in the rough
well I'll attempt to use logic and my knowledge to give a scorecard or sorts with reasons as to who wins what argument, starting with the headstock and working my way down to the other end. for comparison purposes I'm using each respective brand's best known instrument (the PRS custom 24 and the Ibanez RG)

headstock/tuners: ibanez has a straight string path over the nut, but has a larger headstock (resonance killer IMO) and if you want locking tuners you'll need to purchase aftermarket ones. but an ibanez headstock is a three/five piece laminate while the prs is single piece (warping resistance due to the laminate construction is better due to this).

prs has a better design and locking tuners, but the ibanez has a totally straight string path with a better construction method. this one's a draw

necks: prs has options on what neck carve, ibanez does not (any RG neck profile is based off of one shape and doesn't have distinct differences). however, ibanez necks have multi ply construction making them superior (warp resistance/stability . .etc). ibanez also has some form of AANJ leading to superior upper register access while the block heel on the prs is cumbersome and hinders it.

while prs has more than one neck profile available, ibanez has multi ply neck construction and better access to all registers (not here to debate if it's used or not, it's something tangible that can be objectively scored) so one point for ibanez

bodies: if the two being compared were to have identical necks, then the prs has more total frets completely clear of the body.

while the neck heel would normally hinder the fret access as I stated for the necks, if I eliminate that from the comparision and give the guitars the same neck then the frets being clear of the body is an advantage to the prs. point for them

hardware (pickups, switches, trems, bridges. . that sort of thing): both have proprietary hardware but ibanez hardware is more familiar and is closer to what normally goes on guitars (edge trem can be worked on like an OFR, and can be used like an OFR without having to learn anything new). prs takes a hit because they introduced something proprietary that didn't catch on (their rotary pickup selector) and requires a second thought on how to use (even if it's not a very big second thought)

in regards to pickups the ibanez HSH setup is better as it gives you more options but the V series pickups aren't well matched to the guitar's bodywood. prs may have fewer options but their pickups are much better suited to the guitar that they're in. this one's even

in regards to trems (or hardtails as the case may be) ibanez wins big here. in the trem department, a double locking trem will always win out over something more vintage in design as it can stay in tune better and allow a far greater useful range. in addition, you can't get the custom 24 with a hardtail brige (to the best of my knowledge).

ibanez offers a superior trem as well as the option of a hardtail so they get the point here

in the end, ibanez scored more points ergo they're the better guitar. I did put personal preferences aside and tried to be as objective as possible so if there's anything that might see a hint of personal bias then let me know so I can adjust this
Phlegethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #19
Banned

Koshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of light
This has to be a joke thread, given Ibanez' horrible QA issues and incredibly flawed design compromises.

PRS is orders of magnitude superior to any of Ibanez' regular lines. J-Custom and LACS are probably equivalent, but nothing else that Ibanez offers will come close in terms of build quality, attention to detail, wood quality, etc. It's like comparing a Dodge to a Rolls Royce.

If you're looking for something that's at the PRS level, but still offers a ton of player options, I suggest Carvin. In this case, the comparison becomes Rolls Royce vs Maybach, which is at least in the same ballpark.
Koshchei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

stuz719 is pretty damn metal.stuz719 is pretty damn metal.stuz719 is pretty damn metal.stuz719 is pretty damn metal.stuz719 is pretty damn metal.stuz719 is pretty damn metal.stuz719 is pretty damn metal.stuz719 is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshchei View Post
This has to be a joke thread, given Ibanez' horrible QA issues and incredibly flawed design compromises.

Quote:
PRS is orders of magnitude superior to any of Ibanez' regular lines. J-Custom and LACS are probably equivalent, but nothing else that Ibanez offers will come close in terms of build quality, attention to detail, wood quality, etc. It's like comparing a Dodge to a Rolls Royce.
PRS are also orders of magnitude more expensive, generally speaking, so I guess your argument holds some water - but perhaps we should compare the lower-end Ibanez to the SE series, and the Prestige to the Customs? We'll leave Private Stock aside...

Quote:
If you're looking for something that's at the PRS level, but still offers a ton of player options, I suggest Carvin. In this case, the comparison becomes Rolls Royce vs Maybach, which is at least in the same ballpark.
Not sure about this... the whole nature of the Carvin "player options" is that until it's delivered you can't know if you've bought a pig in a poke.

I think you could have put your post more succinctly by saying "I like Carvin guitars".
stuz719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #21
ss.org Regular

james is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
in regards to pickups the ibanez HSH setup is better as it gives you more options but the V series pickups aren't well matched to the guitar's bodywood. prs may have fewer options but their pickups are much better suited to the guitar that they're in. this one's even
Hey Phlegethon, just wanted to chime in and point out how many different pickups and pickup configurations PRS offers now:

humbuckers
humbuckers with coil taps
humbuckers with a fralin single coil
high output rock humbuckers, low output jazzy humbuckers, vintage late 50's sounding humbuckers
soapbars
starla pickups (new pickups that I like a lot...bright in a cool way)
regular singlecoils (305)
new narrowfield pickups
513 pickups (heavy humbucker, clear humbucker and singlecoil in one guitar)
3-way toggles
5-way blades
5-way rotary

Not trying to defend my company here, I just have to keep track of these things and when I read that, I had to chime in!
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #22
Banned

Koshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuz719 View Post

PRS are also orders of magnitude more expensive, generally speaking, so I guess your argument holds some water - but perhaps we should compare the lower-end Ibanez to the SE series, and the Prestige to the Customs? We'll leave Private Stock aside...
SE are not PRS guitars in the same way that LTD is not ESP - there's no comparison, really. Comparing a cheap Ibanez to a cheap "PRS" is comparing a Cort to a Cort, and what you're getting is in no way representative of what made either company famous.

With respect to design compromises that Ibanez seems to love screwing the player over with, check out the VERY well designed trems made from mystery metal that crack in half because of the cheap casting, the misaligned saddle inserts, the trem holders that shear apart from regular use, the awful stock pickups, the neck joints that creak because they're slightly out of alignment, etc.

I *do* like Carvin. I got one, figuring that I'd just return it if I hated it, because of the compromises I'd been forced to swallow over and over again by Ibanez AND PRS/Gibson, actually. As a long-time Saber player, Ibanez had brilliant designs, but they couldn't get their shit together on quality or good materials, and PRS produced brilliant instruments that I didn't like very much. Long story short, the Carvin came out perfect (imagine an Ibanez built by PRS and you're not far off), so I kept it.
Koshchei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #23
NDG
SS Contributor

NDG is just really niceNDG is just really nice
HSH does have the potential to offer more tonal possibilities, but a stock Ibanez RG isn't going to have more tonal possibilities than a stock Custom 24. In either case, you're getting 5 different tones.

Also Custom 24s have the option of coming with a 5 way blade switch or 3 way with a push/pull tone control.

To be fair to Ibanez, any prestige RG that isn't a 15xx comes with Dimarzios or EMGs (for the U.S. line anyway).

I agree this is more an apples to oranges comparison.
NDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #24
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
SE are not PRS guitars in the same way that LTD is not ESP - there's no comparison, really. Comparing a cheap Ibanez to a cheap "PRS" is comparing a Cort to a Cort, and what you're getting is in no way representative of what made either company famous.

With respect to design compromises that Ibanez seems to love screwing the player over with, check out the VERY well designed trems made from mystery metal that crack in half because of the cheap casting, the misaligned saddle inserts, the trem holders that shear apart from regular use, the awful stock pickups, the neck joints that creak because they're slightly out of alignment, etc.

I *do* like Carvin. I got one, figuring that I'd just return it if I hated it, because of the compromises I'd been forced to swallow over and over again by Ibanez AND PRS/Gibson, actually. As a long-time Saber player, Ibanez had brilliant designs, but they couldn't get their shit together on quality or good materials, and PRS produced brilliant instruments that I didn't like very much. Long story short, the Carvin came out perfect (imagine an Ibanez built by PRS and you're not far off), so I kept it.
Well that explains it.

Though, of the some 30 odd Ibanez guitars I've had I've never expirenced most of those problems you listed, and of those I have, it's always been on the lower end models, which, like you said, are made by Cort.

What Japanese made Ibanez guitars that you own, have had these problems?
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #25
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Damn...they're like my two fave companies

I'd say PRS win in terms of build quality and whatnot, so I voted for them. However, Ibanez are another creature and have their own merits (leads and faster riffs obsviously being more comfortable on the thinner necks) and a wider range of specs than PRS. If one PRS covers all the bases for you, then thats that, but without going custom, I find there are some things they don't offer which I'd really like to see on a production model.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote