homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

matt-in-mn is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
25.5" string gauge for drop b

What is the best brand and gauges for drop b tuning? Its a 25.5 inch scale. Thanks in advance
matt-in-mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The ones that you like the best.

Try a 54 or bigger for the Low B, and go from there.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
E♭M7(♭5)

TheHandOfStone is a name known to allTheHandOfStone is a name known to allTheHandOfStone is a name known to allTheHandOfStone is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'd probably try like a 60 if you were looking to match the 46 low E that comes with most 10-gauge sets. 56 would be good for a more 9-gauge feel, and if you like 11's try 64 or so.

"Food to help some wolf that eats your ass generate enough sperm to impregnate their mate. Right there.... boom. Your energy was literally used to create a baby wolf...so in some way you are apart of the wolf.
Non of this 'ima come back as a mighty shark and rule the sea or some shit' just death as we know it. You and all your youness totally gone. But your death is totally required for the rest of existence to thrive."
-BadStarWanderer on reincarnation
TheHandOfStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
Beef jerky kid

JerkyChid is a jewel in the rough
I'm currently using a 58 D'Addario on a 13 set of Dean Markley but I do tend to go bigger.

Eat beef jerky and save the chidren!
JerkyChid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

Breakdown is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
11-52 and up dude
I got a 25.5 hellraiser and the 52 isn't tight or loose in drop B
Id say a 52 in drop B feels kinda like a 42 in standard

but the 10-17 teble strings a little to loose for drop B so id go 11-18 iwith the treble strings
Breakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 02:21 AM   #6
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
I'd recommend 10-14-18-26-36-52 for a nice balanced set. Or perhaps a standard 11-49 set but with a 52-56 replacing the 49. I personally like a .052-.054 in B with 25.5 scales.

The Axe Palace <-- Dealer for: BKP, DiMarzio, Ibanez, Mayones, ENGL, Diezel, Orange, Fryette, ESP, Caparison, PRS, Vigier, Dean, Parker, Flaxwood, G&L, Schecter and many more.

NEW WEBSITE IS NOW LIVE: www.axepalace.com

zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
54-56 seems to work real good with a low B. 52 works fine, but some players, like myself, hit the strings slightly too hard for it to work well enough, hence why I go for 54s personally.
Try anything between 52 and 60, just experiment and see what works
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 03:49 AM   #8
Rivethead Magnate.

Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^ Very true. Honestly (and this is probably a touch silly), but I actually have an 11-70" set on my 7 at the moment in drop B. The low B is nice enough, but when I replace the strings i'll be getting something a touch smaller on the rest (maybe 8-70"

Like Harry said though, it really depends on what you like personally

Give some different strings a try
Daemoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 04:02 AM   #9
can't bend....

Necrophagist777 is just really niceNecrophagist777 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The one time I played in Drop B I used 12-62. Even then the low b was a little sloppy for my taste. But I like a lot of tension. 64 would have been just right I think.
Necrophagist777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:18 AM   #10
ss.org Regular

Ionei is on a distinguished road
I have/had Dunlop 12's(with the wound g) on all of my guitars in Drop B, feels pretty good, not floppy at all really.

Just recently put some Ernie Ball 12's on my LTD, bit odd going from the wound g to non wound but they feel alright, havent had much time to really play it yet though.

So i reckon 12's.
Ionei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Duke318 is just really niceDuke318 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Go baritone.
Duke318 is offline   Reply With Quote