homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

View Poll Results: Guitar options
Purpleheart with set-neck 5 18.52%
Dyed Ash with set-neck 5 18.52%
Prupleheart with bolt on neck 6 22.22%
Dyed Ash with bolt on neck 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
One Among the Fence

xXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
New Custom in the works...need some advice on wood selection

I am going to be the owner of a beautiful guitar from J Cedric Customs (Randy on here) , and I am trying to decide on the body wood. The guitar modeled after an Explorer, but with a much thinner neck for my small hands. I want the finished guitar to be a purplish-pink. I was thinking of going with purple heart because it is really nice but kinda pricey and hard to work with. There is also the option of dying it using Transtint on Ash to get the same result.
So SS.org what do you think would be best?

Also we are at a toss up on the neck. Set-neck or bolt on?

Stash the trash, beautify SS.org. Do your part to keep this place great. To learn more about the forum rules; CLICK HERE.

"You are the music, while the music lasts"- T.S. Eliot
xXxPriestessxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Too bad you aren't doing a quilted top. You could have done a purple base with pink thrown over it.

I say ash and set neck.
pink freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
SS Contributor

ohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnate
Ash body but the neck joint I don't think is that big a deal really. As long as it's well-constructed and comfortable it's all good.
ohio_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
SS.org-er

caughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have to say "dyed ash with bolt on neck." Ash is tried and tested (cliche fail ) as a body wood, and bolt-on necks offer great reversability.
caughtinamosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'd go for ash too, but would only go for bolt-on out of personal preference... That one's really up to you!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
One Among the Fence

xXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to behold
Thanks guys for the input. I am really excited since my template is finished and we are moving into actually getting it made. I will be sure to post the pics when it is done.

Stash the trash, beautify SS.org. Do your part to keep this place great. To learn more about the forum rules; CLICK HERE.

"You are the music, while the music lasts"- T.S. Eliot
xXxPriestessxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 02:41 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

Scythe001 will become famous soon enough
Dyed ash, but most importantly, set neck!
Scythe001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 03:08 AM   #8
Crazy Finn that is

Heeboja is a jewel in the rough
I'm with Ohio_eric on this one. The neck joint doesn't really matter. I'd go with a neck through my self but bolt on is always my second favorite. Call me crazy but I don't like set necks. As long as it's comfortable for you and your hands it really doesn't matter if it's a set or bolt. Ofcourse if you break a neck bolt on is good for replacing it. But breaking a neck without intending to do so is quite hard.

If you want more resonance: Bolt on
If you want easier playability: Set neck

ofcourse those two depend completely on the heel.

Do post us pictures of the making of. We like to see some luthier in action shots :P

Is Top Gun a gay movie?
Heeboja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
A purpleheart explorer body is going to be heavy as hell, but would look awesome. A veneer or a top-plate (with weight relief underneath if needed) could get you the same look without the need for back surgery later in life.

Regarding bolt-on vs. set neck, it's a matter of preference, I guess, but I'm thinking that a set neck joint could be sculpted a whole lot more for upper-fret access.
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
Stupid, apparently

The Echthros is a jewel in the rough
if youre just looking to have a guitar that looks like an explorer then the ash body with I'm assuming to have a maple neck is a good articulate combo of woods. However, if you want a guitar that is going to actually SOUND like an explorer you should go all mahogany. I'd also suggest a set neck over a bolt on. Still want something a bit more articulate you could have a maple set neck/bolt on and mahogany body. that is actually my favorite combo.
The Echthros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
Classy
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
I'm thinking that a set neck joint could be sculpted a whole lot more for upper-fret access.
My thoughts exactly.

Also, the suggestion about the veneer/top is really ingenious. I could do something like a 50/50 (ash->purpleheart) or 1/2" PH top->1 1/2" ash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_echthros_777 View Post
Still want something a bit more articulate you could have a maple set neck/bolt on and mahogany body. that is actually my favorite combo.
Tis' an epic combination indeed.

One of the motivations in this build, though, is to try something "different". I haven't posted a lot of my project just yet (I'm waiting until I have a few more completed), but one of the things I've been trying to brand myself doing is experimenting with different wood combination and construction methods. Lots of padauk, walnut, bloodwood, wenge, and even some purpleheart. I'm still feeling things out, but I like working outside of 'the-norm'; so, a purpleheart explorer seems within that theme.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLCİ
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote