homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Sports Talk
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sports Talk Shower Tom Brady with praise, and debate which is the real football here.

Like Tree217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #1076
ss.org Regular

smueske is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
The T-Wolves weren't going to win a championship with Garnett anytime soon. I think they made the right choice by getting rid of him while he was still valued and investing in young talent. It'll take a few years, but Al Jefferson's already on his way to being a great center. With Randy Foye back and a few lottery picks in the coming seasons they'll be a contender in the near future.
I'd like to think so, but I'm not counting on it. I'm not convinced that Garnett was the problem and he's one of the best players in the league. Hell, with the addition of Sprewell they made it to the second round of the playoffs. The year after Flip leaves, he brings the Pistons to the championship series, so you can't blame the coach either. It just seems that we always get rid of the best players on whatever team they play on. I mean, look at the Vikings. Getting rid of Moss was the dumbest thing they ever did. I mean if anyone can make Jeff George look like a quarterback ...
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #1077
Resident Gangsta

GH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smueske View Post
I'd like to think so, but I'm not counting on it. I'm not convinced that Garnett was the problem and he's one of the best players in the league. Hell, with the addition of Sprewell they made it to the second round of the playoffs. The year after Flip leaves, he brings the Pistons to the championship series, so you can't blame the coach either. It just seems that we always get rid of the best players on whatever team they play on. I mean, look at the Vikings. Getting rid of Moss was the dumbest thing they ever did. I mean if anyone can make Jeff George look like a quarterback ...
Actually with the addition of sprewell and cassell the wolves made it to the conference finals- which is the third round to be exact. They beat denver in 5 and the kings in 7 before falling the the eventual western conference champion lakers in 6.
GH0STrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #1078
ss.org Regular

smueske is a jewel in the rough
Shit, yeah, I forgot about the Kings. Still, I think the point is that the problem was not Garnet or "the supporting cast". The problem is consistency. The Wolves need a core line-up that remains in place for several years. I hope that will be the case this time, but I don't think so. I guess we'll just wait and see. I'd like to be proven wrong.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 07:23 PM   #1079
Resident Gangsta

GH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud of
Eh... I think it is the supporting cast in addition to consistency. They never stick around long enough to find consistency. Kg was the only wolve loyal enough to stay put it seems.
Unread 11-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #1080
Triad Hitman

Azyiu is a name known to allAzyiu is a name known to allAzyiu is a name known to allAzyiu is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0STrider View Post
His missed FTs were never the result of a bulls lose.
Of course, he never got to play in the final minutes in the 4th in a close game! Then again, I don't blame him for missing FTs either. So many other things could've been done in the duration of a game to avoid a loss, those miss FTs are just some of them.

Quote:
The guy can't shoot FTs. so what? A good part of the nba can't defend and give up a lot more points then ben misses out on with FTs.
And thanks for bringing up a good point here. See, the Euro League or the Chinese CBA might be boring or much LESS intense in comparison to the NBA; but all those players can shoot! Either at the line or from the perimeter. See, IMO, this is a much deeper issue than just the NBAers missing shots or can't shoot to save their lives.

Coaches at the college level or even in the high school level just don't seem to teach or stress shooting anymore. They seem to focus more on playing team D (which is good) and player's individual athleticism and stuff.

IMHO, when you are getting paid playing ball, I think you should at least work on your shooting; especially when you are in the NBA. I mean, come on, you can't even make a 15-ft shot from the foul line with NO defender on you?

Off topic

With the US dollars getting weaker by the week, I bet owners like Michael Heisley wishes he didn't move the Grizzlies to Memphis, huh? Man, it used to be like CAD $1.5 or more to USD $1, and now it is mere CAD 98 cents to USD $1!!!!!

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010
Azyiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #1081
Resident Gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azyiu View Post
Of course, he never got to play in the final minutes in the 4th in a close game! Then again, I don't blame him for missing FTs either. So many other things could've been done in the duration of a game to avoid a loss, those miss FTs are just some of them.
That's not funny. I just explained to you why skiles hasn't been playing ben. It serves no point when the game is pretty much already decided by the fourth quarter. Ben typically is the last guy pulled from a game, he usually is always in the 4th quarter.

Quote:
And thanks for bringing up a good point here. See, the Euro League or the Chinese CBA might be boring or much LESS intense in comparison to the NBA; but all those players can shoot! Either at the line or from the perimeter. See, IMO, this is a much deeper issue than just the NBAers missing shots or can't shoot to save their lives.

Coaches at the college level or even in the high school level just don't seem to teach or stress shooting anymore. They seem to focus more on playing team D (which is good) and player's individual athleticism and stuff.

IMHO, when you are getting paid playing ball, I think you should at least work on your shooting; especially when you are in the NBA. I mean, come on, you can't even make a 15-ft shot from the foul line with NO defender on you?
yeah, and how well do those guys play d when they come over here to the nba? The game is different here. It is dependent on athelticism, defense, passing, and yes shooting. Some guys aren't great shooters. it's that simple. They offer something else to the game other than shooting. The nba is not just about shooting. Ben was never drafted. he was given a shot at the nba because of his rebounding and defense. There is no way you can tell me he is not one of the most effective players out there. Outside of shooting this guys does everything else, including stuff that does not show up on the stat sheet.
Unread 11-28-2007, 08:58 PM   #1082
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 49 reviews
Wang Zhi Zhi > *
zimbloth is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 09:56 PM   #1083
Triad Hitman

Azyiu is a name known to allAzyiu is a name known to allAzyiu is a name known to allAzyiu is a name known to all
Mr.Blackcock, I really cannot agree with you on your last point there, man.

First of all, I made my point very clear, and I said you should at least make your FTs, it is that simple.

Second of all, I understand the NBA is a totally different game and all, but at the end of the day, how many shooters are there in the L? I am simply saying, when you are paid to play ball, you better try to work on your shooting, that's all. I ain't singling out Ben or anyone, especially I like Ben too.

Way back in the days, if you can't shoot, you won't last long in the L...

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010
Unread 11-28-2007, 10:11 PM   #1084
???

ibzrg1570 is a glorious beacon of lightibzrg1570 is a glorious beacon of lightibzrg1570 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
yeah, and how well do those guys play d when they come over here to the nba? The game is different here. It is dependent on athelticism, defense, passing, and yes shooting. Some guys aren't great shooters. it's that simple. They offer something else to the game other than shooting. The nba is not just about shooting. Ben was never drafted. he was given a shot at the nba because of his rebounding and defense. There is no way you can tell me he is not one of the most effective players out there. Outside of shooting this guys does everything else, including stuff that does not show up on the stat sheet.
I saw Luis Scola in action for the first time last week and the guy is a beast on the offense but he has a lot to learn about playing D in the NBA. But you have to admit, if Ben could make those FTs he'd be a much more complete player. You can't say no to free points.
ibzrg1570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 10:21 PM   #1085
Resident Gangsta

How often does the guy actually get to the line though? He hardly shoots other than a few put backs. of course free points help, but if you have a player like ben or shaq who is so dominant in other areas it shouldn't matter. If it came down to a few points or whatever than the other team wanted it more. You can't blame big ben or shaq is their team got beat by a few points just because they missed some free throws. It goes without saying they most likely did a lot to help their teams. Every nba player has a role, not every player's role is to score, make free throws, be a great offensive player, blah,blah,blah... If your claiming ben doesn't work at it guess again. The guy works very hard, we see it a lot here in chicago. Like shaq- he just isn't a great ft shooter. oh well, he does many things in the nba that other players don't work at, like defense.

azyiu- with your point of a nba player gets paid lots of money so they should work on their shot- every nba player should be playing both ends of the court. There are entire teams in the nba that don't do that yet they all collect checks at the end of the day. Take a look at the golden state warriors. there are 15 players there who literally only play half the time and still get paid full time.
Unread 11-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #1086
Triad Hitman

Quote:
azyiu- with your point of a nba player gets paid lots of money so they should work on their shot- every nba player should be playing both ends of the court. There are entire teams in the nba that don't do that yet they all collect checks at the end of the day. Take a look at the golden state warriors. there are 15 players there who literally only play half the time and still get paid full time.
I do not disagree with you on this at all.

That is why I hate certain teams like the KNICKS! And as a fan it does bother me sometimes when I can just tell some guys or even teams simply get paid millions for showing up and do nothing. Luckily such kind of teams or players are few and far in between.

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010
Unread 11-28-2007, 10:35 PM   #1087
Resident Gangsta

Quote:
I do not disagree with you on this at all.

That is why I hate certain teams like the KNICKS! And as a fan it does bother me sometimes when I can just tell some guys or even teams simply get paid millions for showing up and do nothing. Luckily such kind of teams or players are few and far in between.
How 'bout reggie miller's comments about the knicks?

I really wish that guy would have made a comeback with the celtics- He trully is one the all time nba greats. Woulda loved to see him get a ring.
Unread 11-28-2007, 10:38 PM   #1088
Triad Hitman

Quote:
How 'bout reggie miller's comments about the knicks?
Oh, I missed that, fill me in, please.

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010
Unread 11-29-2007, 12:15 AM   #1089
Resident Gangsta

I don't remember his exact words- but he called them a the joke of the nba pretty much.
Unread 11-29-2007, 01:28 AM   #1090
Triad Hitman

I think Reggie is being nice about it... the Knicks and its management is beyond a joke, man. I have never seen a company, let alone a sports club being mis-managed like this for so many years, and its upper management is still employed!!!

It's too bad it ain't baseball, and Stern can't just take away that team or something.

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010
Unread 11-29-2007, 01:07 PM   #1091
???

ibzrg1570 is a glorious beacon of lightibzrg1570 is a glorious beacon of lightibzrg1570 is a glorious beacon of light
As long as the Knicks keep making money the owners don't have to care about how well the team's actually doing. Although I'm not exactly sure how overpaying guys like Jerome James and Eddy Curry factor into the profit margins.
Unread 11-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #1092
Resident Gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibzrg1570 View Post
As long as the Knicks keep making money the owners don't have to care about how well the team's actually doing. Although I'm not exactly sure how overpaying guys like Jerome James and Eddy Curry factor into the profit margins.
You are correct about everything except eddy curry. He is NOT overpaid. He is one of the last legit back to the basket centers in the nba today. His skills aren't found in many other players or teams. He deserves the money he is making. If he could just get his rebounding going (which it is getting better) he would trully be dominant. I felt he could have been an all star last season with averages of 19ppg and 7 rebounds. Not overpaid my friend. Let me tell you I was pissed as hell about pax dealing him and then everything turning out fine. Do you have any idea how unstopable the bulls would be with eddy at center right now??? hah. The east would be won for sure. Just imagine with our shooters/perimeter/slashers and a low post center in curry to go inside out. ....ing deadly. Let me tell you about overpaid- ben ....ing gordon asking for 14 mil a year. .... you ben that is all I can say. Thank ....ing god pax did not give him that. inconsistent and shooting 34 percent this year. NO thanks.
Unread 11-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #1093
Triad Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibzrg1570 View Post
As long as the Knicks keep making money the owners don't have to care about how well the team's actually doing.
That is the thing here. The Knicks ain't making money at all, I don't think. When you no longer sellout every home game, not making the playoffs at all, and not even on national tv schedule regularly anymore; with a 90 plus million dollars payroll (and having to pay for luxury taxes), HOW do you make money? If anything at all, James Dolan only keeps pumping money in the Knicks like it is nobody's business. I sincerely hate that kind of owner in pro sports.

BTW, Phil Jackson has agreed to a 2-year extension. So I guess two things can pretty much be put to rest, at least for now.

A) Kobe would be traded this season. He could still be traded in the summer of 2008, but I don't see him being traded this season now with Jackson's extension. Hell, if I read things correctly, maaaaybe privately things have been settled between all parties.

B) Jackson won't be coaching the Knicks... likely ever!

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010
Unread 11-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #1094
Tone Whore

garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.
Celtics demolish Knicks by 45, 104-59 - Yahoo! News

"Im sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth. "
John Lennon
garcia3441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 01:37 AM   #1095
???

Just got back from the Rockets-Warriors game about an hour ago and I am pissed. T-Mac was pretty much a non-factor throughout the game, as was Yao. I honestly thought Steve Francis was the best Rocket on the court aside from the fact that he fouled out. A sad, sad day. I'll upload pics later, right now I have to write an essay.
Unread 11-30-2007, 02:25 AM   #1096
Triad Hitman

Man, the Knicks are beyond just a joke! Firing Thomas won't solve the problem. I'd say keep him until the end of the season... guys like him needs to be mentally tortured by being forced to stay on the job.

Yo, Derek, don't blame the Rockets, they are NEVER a consistant team, you should know better. Why not praise the Warriors? After a bad 0-6, they went 8-1 since. I know I know, the only real quality team they beat during that time was the Suns. Still, you do not win that many games in the L by luck.

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010
Unread 11-30-2007, 05:23 AM   #1097
???

Yea I know the Rockets are incredibly inconsistent. I was even expecting them to lose. I'm just pissed that they lost by so much. I was hoping for a game that was competitive throughout all 4 quarters, especially since I don't know when I'll have a chance to see them again. I don't hate the Warriors, I admit they're a well-knit team that's made a very nice turnaround from the start of the season. The fans at Oracle Arena were so intense though, they were having so much fun. I was extremely jealous of my friend that I went with.

Ok, since I'm not making progress on my essay I might as well upload the pics now. I took a lot more, but I think this is enough. Most of them didn't come out great because I was shooting with a P&S from the top level.

Last edited by ibzrg1570; 11-30-2007 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 11-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #1098
Sign Your Neg Rep Posts!

Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia3441 View Post
I happened to go by the game on tv and was like It was like 75-30 something
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 12:13 AM   #1099
Triad Hitman

Man, things sucked ass here in Hong Kong this morning. Of all the games tonight (7 games), my cable carrier decided to show the 76ers @ Nets.

I didn't even bother to watch the first half, and I wasn't even paying much attention to the second half when I finally turned my tv on either. Man, what a boring game that was. The Sixers didn't know how to close out the Nets after being up by 18 pts, and the Nets didn't seem like they were interested in winning it either... man oh man, all I can say is, what a boring game!!! That's all, end of venting...

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010
Unread 12-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #1100
Resident Gangsta

Quote:
Man, things sucked ass here in Hong Kong this morning. Of all the games tonight (7 games), my cable carrier decided to show the 76ers @ Nets.

I didn't even bother to watch the first half, and I wasn't even paying much attention to the second half when I finally turned my tv on either. Man, what a boring game that was. The Sixers didn't know how to close out the Nets after being up by 18 pts, and the Nets didn't seem like they were interested in winning it either... man oh man, all I can say is, what a boring game!!! That's all, end of venting...
Yeah both those team suck. I often wonder why jason kidd wants to let his career end so crappy. He can still play, he should be asking for a trade to a
contender. The nets aren't going anywhere and won't be winning a tittle in the duration of kidd's career with or without him. Can you imagine him with lebron james or kobe bryant??? Can you say championship? Jefferson is nice but he works much better as a second option, and carter is just ....ing lazy. Jason do yourself a favor and opt out, demand a trade, something buddy. Please.