homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Site Updates & Support > Site News & Support
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Site News & Support Contests, updates, additions & otherwise. If you have problems/suggestions, this is the place as well.

Like Tree23Likes
  • 5 Post By JamesM
  • 1 Post By Konfyouzd
  • 5 Post By djpharoah
  • 2 Post By Konfyouzd
  • 5 Post By ian14892
  • 3 Post By CooleyJr
  • 1 Post By tacotiklah
  • 1 Post By Hemi-Powered Drone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

somniumaeternum is just really nicesomniumaeternum is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
What's the point of these "super mega threads"??

I've joined the forum fairly recently and I'm noticing a few of these "super mega every about xxx band threads " kind of thing. I have to say, what's the point?

For example, the Periphery thread. I like them and wouldn't mind reading more about them and what they do but I'm not going read thorugh 40 pages of 80% random comments just to hunt down the one or two unique comments that say something interesting. I'm not complaining about this ration.. it's just the nature of forums, they're not web sites that you can organize things well.

Wouldn't it make more sense to split the topics to individual threads so you can query based on thread title and not be forced to go through all the incredibly huge threads? (I would imagine most people that are new won't even bother with those.. I know I don't have time to go through all of them so I don't bother).

I don't know.. thoughts?
somniumaeternum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somniumaeternum View Post
...but I'm not going read thorugh 40 pages of..
make that 119 pages?! Damn.
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
There's a search feature that allows you to search the thread itself...

The point of the super mega threads--to my knowledge--is explained in the title... "Discuss all things ____ here"

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It eliminates a good deal of clutter.

JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by somniumaeternum View Post
make that 119 pages?! Damn.
The deal with Periphery is that Bulb (Misha) is a forum member and the forum is very supportive of member's projects. I guess basically, we're all eachother's biggest fans.

/EDIT - I also just noticed that the first post is the Mod edit that explains that its a merge of tons of disparate threads about Periphery.

So basically, when a subject gets too many threads, it gets condensed for clutter reduction.

I like my first response though

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordacain View Post
The deal with Periphery is that Bulb (Misha) is a forum member and the forum is very supportive of member's projects. I guess basically, we're all eachother's biggest fans.
Mordacain likes this.

Unread 04-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 136 reviews
It's there so we mods don't have to deal with 6.02E23 threads about the same topic/band/person/guitar especially when a lot of it is repetitive.

Time saved via less thread culling => happy mods
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
It's there so we mods don't have to deal with 6.02E23 threads about the same topic/band/person/guitar especially when a lot of it is repetitive.

Rep for scientific notation.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Dread-I Master

WTF @ Mesh for using scientific notation...

EDIT: WTF @ Armada 'ing me
Prydogga and JamesM like this.

Unread 04-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:

Its like whack-a-mol(e) threadstyle!

/EDIT - I couldn't resist

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

UnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
While this may not be the perfect solution, it sure beats a zillion topics on one band
You could use the search function in the threads if you're looking for anything specific, though search has failed me a number of times.

SPEEDGURU - fuzz/doom/death
http://www.facebook.com/speedgurudoom
UnderTheSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
Dread-I Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheSign View Post
While this may not be the perfect solution, it sure beats a zillion topics on one band
You could use the search function in the threads if you're looking for anything specific, though search has failed me a number of times.
Nerd alert: Depending on how this search engine actually functions, you may be able to narrow down your search by using things like quotation marks, parentheses and boolean operators. I'm not sure if the latter 2 have any effect on searches run here, but I've known them to make a difference in other search engines.

Unread 04-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

I understand there's a search functionality but I was basically just after a reason of the organization. If no one else thinks this isn't so great, then I guess it's a non-issue for the forum.
Unread 04-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
ss.org Regular

ian14892 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post
Rep for scientific notation.
Avogadro's numbuh
ian14892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 01:50 AM   #15
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I look at it this way:

I can have that many pages in a thread, and can skim through if the subject interests me.

I can have that many threads in a particular forum, and have to wade through them whether that subject interests me or not.

I choose the former. I might occasionally feel up to knowing all about one or another subject, or I might just hit a few current pages.

That's just me, though. I've never felt I had to be a completist, because I have other things in my life than SS.org.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 01:52 AM   #16
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Quote:

Good lord, last thing I want to see is scientific notation. I thought I could get away from math here
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
Banned

CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Someone should make a DJENT megathread so we don't have to see a thread called "HOW DU I GIT DJENT ON POD PLZ HALPZ?!" pop up every few hours.
CooleyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #18
Djenderbender

tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordacain View Post

This.

My band wouldn't even have half the fans it does if it wasn't for this site. And we're still only at 36 fans.
Bigfan likes this.

"Statement 1: Animals of two different species (not to mention entirely different orders) is now considered natural.
Statement 2: Man is an animal.
Statement 3: I'm booking a flight to Antarctica.
Statement 4: None of your damn business why." -Xaios
tacotiklah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #19
Quintessentially So

Kairos is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooleyJr View Post
Someone should make a DJENT megathread so we don't have to see a thread called "HOW DU I GIT DJENT ON POD PLZ HALPZ?!" pop up every few hours.
It really hasn't been that bad lately.
Kairos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
It really hasn't been that bad lately.
With the Guitar World article, it will definitely get worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfyouzd View Post
Nerd alert: Depending on how this search engine actually functions, you may be able to narrow down your search by using things like quotation marks, parentheses and boolean operators. I'm not sure if the latter 2 have any effect on searches run here, but I've known them to make a difference in other search engines.
I don't think this site will pay attention to any symbol or boolean operators.
I just use Google site search when I want to search this site.
CooleyJr likes this.
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #21
Banned

josh pelican has much to be proud ofjosh pelican has much to be proud ofjosh pelican has much to be proud ofjosh pelican has much to be proud ofjosh pelican has much to be proud ofjosh pelican has much to be proud of
Most superhypermega threads don't last very long unless it's about Misha, Devin Townsend or a band on Sumerian Records.

EDIT: Or the new Necrophagist album.
josh pelican is offline   Reply With Quote