homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
xXxPriestessxXx
One Among the Fence

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Outburst during Obama's speech.

Rep. Wilson shouts to Obama during speech: 'You lie' - CNN.com

This is one of the most blatant display of disrespect for a president that I have seen in quite a while. Did Dems disagree with Bush on almost everything? Yes. Did they ever resort to name calling outbursts in the middle of a speech to a joint season of congress or in the middle of any of his formal speeches? No. The GOP is sure not helping its case with people like this filling the seats in both the Senate and Congress. Not to mention if he had actually read the bill he would know that offering health care to illegal immigrants is addressed in the bill much as Obama mentioned.
For reference here is a link: Twenty-six Lies About H.R. 3200 | FactCheck.org

Stash the trash, beautify SS.org. Do your part to keep this place great. To learn more about the forum rules; CLICK HERE.

"You are the music, while the music lasts"- T.S. Eliot
xXxPriestessxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Randy
‡‡INITIALIZING‡‡
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I guess he had to shout "you lie!" because "President's got a big butt! Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah!!!!" was too passe.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLC©
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Adam Of Angels
The GAS Man

Feedback Score: 116 reviews
I watched the speech and found the blatant disrespect terrible. What's worse is that Obama addressed all of the fear-mongering claims that have been spread in opposition to health care reform and specifically pointed out that nobody would need to give up their current plan, making public health care and OPTION... yet, after the speech, the Republican response (a very plastic address, mind you) was that "Forcing you and your family to change their health care is wrong," blah blah... its such a ridiculous and unnecessary uphill battle.
Adam Of Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
halsinden
it's a british thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
because "President's got a big butt! Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah!!!!"
does he though? has anyone thought to check? i'd appreciate knowing as this could admittedly change a few things. for instance, it could affect his tone.

H

http://www.talanas.org
death metal's gentlemen
halsinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
AySay
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Good Republicans are like moderate Muslims. The insane ones thrust themselves into the spotlight and give the rest of them a bad name. Really, all these idiots do now is make a fuss about everything Obama says and does, because they are whiny bigot losers. I mean, the school speech "controversy". Come on. Did you see that speech? How can those retards defend their claims of "brainwashing" and "the republic being under attack" after that?
AySay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
synrgy
Ya ya ya I am Lorde

What a ....ing joke.

Wilson, much like so many of his crybaby comrades, needs to die in a fire to spare the population from any more spreading of his genes.
synrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Konfyouzd
Dread-I Master

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by halsinden View Post
does he though? has anyone thought to check? i'd appreciate knowing as this could admittedly change a few things. for instance, it could affect his tone.

H
you're ....in' ridiculous

that was awesome. and to be honest i can't say i'm surprised people act the way they do about obama. i've noticed lately in some of the threads people have been mentioning how some members try to "out mature" each other inadvertantly revealing themselves to be much less mature than the image they seek to project.

likewise, i think that although the country tries to act like it's past racism (a lot of us are, but the older folks i think still haven't quite let it go completely) it's very much still alive and well. a lot of the unfounded claims that get made about obama more than likely have nothing to do with people thinking he's unable to perform his job. to me i don't think they trust a black man to do the job regardless of how well he presents himself. but they can't flat out say we don't want a black guy in office. that's what i think.

flame if you will, but it just seems to me that if they had a legitimate issue with the man they'd go through the trouble of educating themselves on the situation rather than taking pride in being loud and wrong...

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
SpaceDock
Shred till your dead

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
It's so weak that we pay these guys so much of our own money and they spend their time fighting instead of helping us.

None of these guys could give a .... about passing a health insurance bill because we are paying for their insurance already

SpaceDock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Konfyouzd
Dread-I Master

^ haha... that's generally how i feel about politics. every time i turn on the news the democrats and republicans look like children pointing fingers at each other all day and worrying more about getting some dirt on the other side than actually getting anything done. i mean i'm sure something gets done, but it just looks terrible that the so-called leaders of the free world act like a bunch of ....in' children.

everything has turned into reality tv... even politics

...Idiocracy?

Old 09-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
minusthemonkey
ss.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Let's play Devil's advocate for a moment and see if we can deduce some logic out of this. Follow along as I leap into the abyss.

If I understand the proposal for universal health care accurately, and using the Canadian/British systems as an example the following events would need to take place for Wilson's outburst to be seen as factual:

Policy regarding illegal immigrants would have to be changed, granting them an amnesty, through which they could achieve legal land immigrant status through what i can only assume would be a long and probably arduous process. Having now achieved legal status, they would be afforded some level of care as would any other legal resident.

Of course, now that they would be legal residents the notion it being health care for illegal immigrants is moot, but it takes a certain leap of faith to follow irrational thought.

On that note, and at the risk of incurring the wrath of opposite side, I find the opposition to universal health care utterly perplexing. I don't get it one bit.
minusthemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
phatfil
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxPriestessxXx View Post
Did they ever resort to name calling outbursts in the middle of a speech to a joint season of congress or in the middle of any of his formal speeches? No.
apparently you missed Bush's state of the union address in which the entire Democrat party booed throughout the speech.

RealClearPolitics - Video - Flashback: Democrats Boo Bush At 2005 State Of The Union

don't let either side fool you. neither are saints.
phatfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
Randy
‡‡INITIALIZING‡‡
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfil View Post
In fairness, I'm a Democrat and a candidate for sainthood... so just give me a few centuries and that might change.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLC©
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
Adam Of Angels
The GAS Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfyouzd View Post
^ haha... that's generally how i feel about politics. every time i turn on the news the democrats and republicans look like children pointing fingers at each other all day and worrying more about getting some dirt on the other side than actually getting anything done. i mean i'm sure something gets done, but it just looks terrible that the so-called leaders of the free world act like a bunch of ....in' children.

everything has turned into reality tv... even politics

...Idiocracy?

Old 09-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
xXxPriestessxXx
One Among the Fence

Quote:
apparently you missed Bush's state of the union address in which the entire Democrat party booed throughout the speech.

RealClearPolitics - Video - Flashback: Democrats Boo Bush At 2005 State Of The Union

Boos are a part of life. Obama has been booed. Was it wrong of the dems to boo the president? Yes. I can deal with decent but out right yelling out that the president is lying to the american public is something else entirely.

Neither side is perfect. I totally understand that but I just think the whole "fingers in our ears we aren't ....ing listening" bull.... that the Republicans are pulling is ridiculous. It is pulling this country apart and leading to the massive misinformation of the masses.

Stash the trash, beautify SS.org. Do your part to keep this place great. To learn more about the forum rules; CLICK HERE.

"You are the music, while the music lasts"- T.S. Eliot
xXxPriestessxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
Konfyouzd
Dread-I Master

Quote:
Boos are a part of life. Obama has been booed. Was it wrong of the dems to boo the president? Yes. I can deal with decent but out right yelling out that the president is lying to the american public is something else entirely.

Neither side is perfect. I totally understand that but I just think the whole "fingers in our ears we aren't ....ing listening" bull.... that the Republicans are pulling is ridiculous. It is pulling this country apart and leading to the massive misinformation of the masses.
if you let them tell it, it's *Obama* that is dividing the country...

so really both sides are saying the same thing

and i'm sure both feel like they're being the bigger person.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #16
phatfil
ss.org Regular

Quote:
...but I just think the whole "fingers in our ears we aren't ....ing listening" bull.... that the Republicans are pulling is ridiculous.
both sides are extremely guilty of partisan politics and have been for a very long time. they pit us against each other.

there used to be a time when debates could happen and afterward representatives would go for a round of golf or something. now it's just crazyness from both sides.
phatfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #17
Adam Of Angels
The GAS Man

Yeah, but what you're not mentioning, and maybe not even acknowledging, is that Obama is striving for bipartisanship.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #18
phaeded0ut
droooooneeeeeeeee!

At least he didn't try to recreate a few of the scenes from "Blazing Saddles."
I'm still rather amazed at the levels of churlishness from our elected officials, who were too busy to actually listen to what President Obama had to say and spent more time on their Blackberries (and other PDA's). I'd be more than a little upset if my representative(s) weren't paying attention for this issue.

I remember seeing a few Democrats committing similar antics during the Bush years, but never to this extent; quite frankly the level of vitriol wasn't in them. I have to agree, neither side are being completely civil.

At least no one got into a fist fight during the assembly last night.

The rebuttal from Louisiana was horrid, and borderline incoherent other than the message of "our political party is incapable of compromise." Rather hoping that Charles Boustany will not remain in office and someone willing to further gains for his constituents could be put into his office.

"All the World's a stage, ... and the rest is Vaudeville..."
-Allan Moore
phaeded0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #19
Adam Of Angels
The GAS Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaeded0ut View Post
The rebuttal from Louisiana was horrid, and borderline incoherent other than the message of "our political party is incapable of compromise." Rather hoping that Charles Boustany will not remain in office and someone willing to further gains for his constituents could be put into his office.
It was as if he hadn't even listened to Obama. Its just unbelievable.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #20
JBroll
Hard-On For Freedom™

Both sides suck.

What we're seeing is that the majority of people who say anything about politics are more than happy to ignore bad behavior out of their favorite party provided the 'other guys' do something worse. This is no surprise, and pretending that our 'political system' is anything more than fake reality-TV-style drama is getting pretty old.

Jeff
JBroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #21
Adam Of Angels
The GAS Man

Agreed, and I blame both parties. I don't blame Obama, because he doesn't seem to give into this behavior as much, but its a childish fued.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:18 AM   #22
ChrisPcritter
SS Contributor

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Too Funny....
One politician called another one a liar so we're supposed to be upset.. Obama should have said "so are you and a Darn good one or you wouldn't have made it as far as you did in politics"
ChrisPcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #23
The Atomic Ass
Redefining Sound

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
there used to be a time when debates could happen and afterward representatives would go for a round of golf or something. now it's just crazyness from both sides.
That is still the case, it's just that nowadays, politicians are no more than actors for our viewing pleasure, much like a 3-piece suit and tie version of WWE.

When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations,
the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic. — Dresden James

Buy my album, My Titanic Grave, at whatever price you choose on Bandcamp!
SoundClickMySpaceTwitterFacebookYouTube - My music, my Let's Plays, and my anarchist home build.
The Atomic Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #24
JBroll
Hard-On For Freedom™

Yeah, debates have to happen in areas where people commonly think about more than their Starbucks order after everyone with a party affiliation and everyone without a grasp of elementary reasoning has been stabbed in the eyes.

Jeff
JBroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:32 AM   #25
DavyH
Elderly juvenile

Quote:
This is one of the most blatant display of disrespect for a president that I have seen in quite a while.
I'm not so sure.... he kept his shoes on throughout the entire incident.

Heckling is part of the parliamentary game.. "You lie!" simply shows a lack of imagination on the part of the heckler.
DavyH is offline   Reply With Quote