homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Movies, Books, TV & Media
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
Movies, Books, TV & Media Read or watch something new? Discuss it here.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:03 AM   #1
petereanima
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
George Martin - A Song Of Ice And Fire

for those of you still reading books (real ones, with pages, paer and stuff), and also liking epic fantasy novels - i can only recommend you to read George Martins "A Song Of Ice And Fire" - Saga.

first: this is a bit "less fantasy" than some might be used to. so at the moment (i'm at the beginning of part 2 at the moment) - no Orks, Elves etc. appeared, and also it is much more "realistiv" when it comes up to brutality and sexuality. which i like, because it fits the characters perfect, and as it is pretty much "medieval" and the Middle Ages were brutal and harsh times...i dont really get the point of the critics on this. of course its not a childs book.

anyway: while the first half of part 1 (A Game Of Thrones) was an introduction to the characters mostly, it got more and more exciting. the second half / book [*] - i've read through 500 pages in less than 3 days (the last time i did this was the first time i've read LOTR), couldnt stop reading, even as it was 3:00 a.m. and i had to work the next day.
[*]I'm reading the german translatione, where every part is split into 2 books, and i'm at book 3 at the moment (A Clash Of Kings Part 1), so if anybody already read everything - spoiler me and i'll impale your head on my lance!

the whole saga is still not finished, but so far are released:

1.) A Game Of Thrones
2.) A Clash Of Kings
3.) A Clash Of Swords
4.) A Feast For Crows

the fifth part, "A Dance With Dragons", has been announced to be Sept./Oct. this year. there will then be 2 more parts follow.

what i wanted to say: fantasy fans, book readers - buy this, you wont regret it! the best thing i've read in years. highly recommended
petereanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-08-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
arktan
Icnomptenent

*noted*

Forward.
arktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Sang-Drax
God is dad

Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I finished A Feast For Crows a couple of months ago, and I'm dying to know what's coming next. The best thing is how all characters are in a somewhat gray area - everyone is a little bit of a hero and a little bit of a villain. My favorite book ever so far

Curious fact: while I was reading that book, I dreamed of it EVERY FREAKING DAY.
Sang-Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
st2012
Texas CEO / RHLC

One of my favorite series of fantasy books. Can't wait for the next one. I didn't know that they had finally announced the date for it though, thanks for the info.
st2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Sang-Drax
God is dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by st2012 View Post
One of my favorite series of fantasy books. Can't wait for the next one. I didn't know that they had finally announced the date for it though, thanks for the info.
Well, it's not the first time a date is announced. Let's hope GRRM doesn't postpone it again...
Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
petereanima
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang-Drax View Post
The best thing is how all characters are in a somewhat gray area - everyone is a little bit of a hero and a little bit of a villain.
exactly! very good point and one of the things i really love about it.

i still have A LOT to read fortuneately, but i'm afraid of the point when i have to wait for GRRM to release the next stuff.

by the way: HBO is making a series out of it. not sure about my thoughts on this.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
Sang-Drax
God is dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by petereanima View Post
by the way: HBO is making a series out of it. not sure about my thoughts on this.
Well, GRRM has been a screen writer for quite some time, and he'll write one of the episodes himself. I suppose he will be part of the rest, though, which means that some degree of fidelity should remain =)
Old 03-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #8
petereanima
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

for the few that are interested: HBO greenlighted the pilot to go into production, filming starts in June, first season will be on air aprox. March/April 2011!

and: GRRM has apssed the 1300 pages count on the "Dance", end is in sight!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #9
Demeyes
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I read the series a few months ago. It's a really great read, easily one of my favourite series ever. The tv show could be hit or miss, I hope it cimes out right.
Demeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #10
petereanima
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

yeah, it could be either the most epic thing in the universe, or total ........but meanwhile i am really looking forward to it - George Martin was very deeply involved in the production of the pilot, and also will be involved for the whole series - the producers meanwhile joined the westeros-fan-community, getting hints and tips and all that - so they got an ARMADA of nerds in their back.

i recently ordered all books again, this time in English (first read was german only), so i dont have to wait for the synchronisation of the series (which will propably be pretty bad, as always).
Old 03-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
Sang-Drax
God is dad

Hell yeah! I've just finished AGOT for the second time yesterday, and can't help but start ACOK all over again as well
Old 01-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #12
petereanima
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

Time for a bumpage, because the HBO-series starts in April and badass trailers are badass:

And i'm currently re-reading the books - amazing how many details you miss if you are not used to the characters already. I know much much more than after the first time i read it.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
SirMyghin
The Dirt Guy

A dance with dragons has had at least 5 speculative releases before now, is this one actually real? (noticed this thread was 2009 , point in case I suppose)

While I really enjoyed the series, I have really lost touch with it reading other stuff (Malazan the fallen was much better imo, as is Dark Tower but it is still great). I am also concerned he is just going to cock off and die long before he finishes, so I don't want to read it until he is done.

The HBO series looks interesting, but I am worried they followed through on removing the supernatural portion which while wouldn't affect it for a while would definitely dull it up in the long run.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #14
ShadyDavey
7ibrarian

Now a mini-series is in the offing I'll have to go back and re-read the originals I suppose

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:56 AM   #15
The Reverend
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'll have to read the whole series before the show comes out, I guess. It seems to be a hit with you guys, and I love me some fantasy.

Also, was that ....ING BOROMIR!? Recycling actors from notable fantasy movies may not be the best decision in the world, but .... it, I'm sold.

If you're going to 'like' my posts, give me some rep instead.

"
i just laughed at my own reflection, not sure if ugly or drunk" -Murmel

http://www.robmura.com/pics/djodsig.jpg
The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:15 AM   #16
petereanima
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
A dance with dragons has had at least 5 speculative releases before now, is this one actually real? (noticed this thread was 2009 , point in case I suppose)
Yeah, he really knwo show to ....w ith his fans haha Altough - you know: I prefer to wait jsut a bit more, if the result (book) is then better. I dont need a book thats 3/4 awesome, and the end is just written in a hurry to get it done. (Despite the fact that he had more than enough time already)

Quote:
While I really enjoyed the series, I have really lost touch with it reading other stuff (Malazan the fallen was much better imo, as is Dark Tower but it is still great). I am also concerned he is just going to cock off and die long before he finishes, so I don't want to read it until he is done.
I can see why - i almost got lost throught the last book, which was....uhm..."strange". I wont go in detail because of spoilers, but folks who read it know propably what i mean. Nonetheless - the new book shoul/will leave all that aside. And i currently re-read the whole series, its still as awesome as before, if not even more!

Quote:
The HBO series looks interesting, but I am worried they followed through on removing the supernatural portion which while wouldn't affect it for a while would definitely dull it up in the long run.
Hm, i dont think they are going to do that - esp. as George Martin is also heavily involved in the making of the series.

And we oculd already see one of the eggs in the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
Also, was that ....ING BOROMIR!? Recycling actors from notable fantasy movies may not be the best decision in the world, but .... it, I'm sold.
Yep, Sean Bean play Ned Stark in the HBO series.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #17
Daiephir
likes peanut butter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I bought those for my dad and I for Christmas along with the Wheel of Time series, he's so occupied reading them I don't even have time msyelf (so I read WoT instead )

- Give it a rest. Do you really think that this thread is of a serious nature? 8Fingers is reeling you in. He didn't even have to put any ....ing bait on the hook. - CIAM in the 5 Bands you can't stand thread - saying this to toolsound
- It would just be like "BWOMP BWOMP BWOMP" vs the "VRuuuuOOOOmmmmMMRRRROooomRRR" of the engine. - A subwoofer vs. engine sound, by ESP Griffyn
- New used car fund: 0$, I bought one
Daiephir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #18
SirMyghin
The Dirt Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by petereanima View Post

I can see why - i almost got lost throught the last book, which was....uhm..."strange". I wont go in detail because of spoilers, but folks who read it know propably what i mean. Nonetheless - the new book shoul/will leave all that aside. And i currently re-read the whole series, its still as awesome as before, if not even more!
Exactly there were a few nuggets that won't be resolved until book 6 , which I doubt will ever be released (I doubt this one will ever be released). Oh well, finale to Erikson's Malazan is next month! (Now if only Glen Cook would write those other 2 black company books he has been putting off due to wanting to finish contract stuff, albeit I am not sure I want to read them at all. I kind of thought he could have stopped after 7 and left it, as a lot of stuff had been revealed. If you haven't read it, it is quite good, it is kind of where Erikson and Martin draw a lot of their non hero character type. Just people.)
Old 01-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #19
Ckackley
SS.org Regular

I've read them and totally lost interest since it's been SO freakin' long since he's put another book out. The trailers look good, but I'd rather have the next book. lol
Ckackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #20
sakeido
Is a Pastafarian

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I just started on this series now.. these look like they'll be long and interesting reads. Hopefully by the time I'm caught up he'll have another book out.. I hate waiting for new installments in anything, and with books the wait can be excruciating
sakeido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #21
MrGignac
Sonderkommando

This looks to be one of the better HBO shows ever, The guy who plays tyrion lannister is like the john malcovich of midgets. Love all the books.

Im so sick of hearing the new books coming out soon, then it isnt. it looks like Martin is heavily involved in the show ( he wrote shows for HBO back in the day) So if i have to wait a bit for the book so the show is better, I dont mind.

Always wished they had made a belgarad & mallorean movie instead of that harry potter .....

though it would not at all surprise me if he died before the book was finished. like robert jordan
MrGignac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 AM   #22
petereanima
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

As for the release date of the next book... i meanwhile relly could imagine that it IS ready and done, but they wait with the relase for jsut beofre the series starts...it would at least be a selling-argument.

Also i've read that they re-release all previous books like 2 weeks before the show starts..

Yes, i'm still hoping.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:31 AM   #23
petereanima
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

Update - A Song of Ice and Fire - George R. R. Martin's Official Website

JULY 12TH MOTHERTRUCKERS!!!

(yes, i am STILL optimistic )
Old 03-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #24
Richie666
SS.org Regular

Jesus icefishing christ! I've been waiting since 2006 for this. Wow, huge news.

However, I feel like I should wait until the series is complete and start from the beginning again. It's all sort of fading by now

EDIT: Then again if it's comparable to the brilliance of A Storm of Swords, which it probably will be, I just may have to stow myself away for a week and plow through the damn thing
Richie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #25
SirMyghin
The Dirt Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie666 View Post

EDIT: Then again if it's comparable to the brilliance of A Storm of Swords, which it had better be seeing as it took 5 years, I just may have to stow myself away for a week and plow through the damn thing
FTFY

I too feel like waiting to see how quickly he gets the book after it out. I don't want another unfinished series on my shelf. I was excited to see this a few days ago though.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.