homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

View Poll Results: Do you miss that newbie satisfaction feeling?
Yes. Ahh...good times good times...staying up until 1 in the morning trying to get that lick down 14 27.45%
No way! I wouldn't go back and experience that even if I had a timemachine. 18 35.29%
Sometimes. 19 37.25%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
Mastodon
Songs about My Cats

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do you miss that newbie satisfaction feeling?

I was just flipping through my music binder and I went way to the back. I started playing through the songs really slowly like I did when I was first learning and this question popped into my head.

It has only been 2 years but I remember when I had trouble transitioning from the single notes to the power chords in the opening of Master of Puppets.

I'm sure you still get a cool sensation of satisfaction when you nail something down but it was different when you were first learning. It was more of a feeling of "Yes, holy crap I'm doing it! I'm learning the guitar!"

Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
maskofduality
Brandeis Sophomore

When I finally start shredding i'm pretty sure i'll have that newbie satisfaction. i'm pretty tired of only being able to do jazz/blues solos.
maskofduality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
David
je t'aime

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskofduality
When I finally start shredding i'm pretty sure i'll have that newbie satisfaction. i'm pretty tired of only being able to do jazz/blues solos.
you know... it kind of just comes to you along the way. One day, you'll notice how far you've come, especially if you make video's of yourself. Sweeping has been the most rewarding technique for me so far.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
maskofduality
Brandeis Sophomore

lol i've already noticed how far i've come (believe me going from soloing only on the high e and b back in 2004 to soloing up and down the neck hear and 2006 is a big accomplishment for me at least. my desire for shred is just where i want to go next)
maskofduality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:24 AM   #5
Naren
OldschoolGhettostyle

Don't miss it. Personally I like the feeling of figuring out a whole song easily by ear. When I was a newbie, I'd struggle through a tab getting the rhythm wrong and it would take a while to get it down and, even then, oftentimes I still couldn't play it right. Now, it's like
Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:47 AM   #6
David
je t'aime

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskofduality
lol i've already noticed how far i've come (believe me going from soloing only on the high e and b back in 2004 to soloing up and down the neck hear and 2006 is a big accomplishment for me at least. my desire for shred is just where i want to go next)
I was just talking with Elysian about that. The switch to shred, is amazing. There's 6 months of frustration, then it kind of comes to you. Not just that, but understanding the guitar as a voice. Instead of vocals telling you a story, you can interpret the guitar, you can feel it because you play it, and it shakes you to your core. Crazy things happen like you start listening to Mandy Moore because her vocals make you tear up, haha, and you realize that opera interests you all of a sudden. Notes become words.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:54 AM   #7
Shannon
Lord Super Awesome

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Dude, I've been playing 22 years now & I still get those feelings of accomplishment. I love it when you just have one of those days when your playing is firing on all cylinders. To surprise even yourself is a wonderful feeling. You just pull this BADASS nugget of musical gold from your ass! I especially love it when this happens onstage. You get that "Whoa!" expression on your face & then you start wondering, "How the hell did I do that?!?!?"
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:42 AM   #8
Naren
OldschoolGhettostyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
Dude, I've been playing 22 years now & I still get those feelings of accomplishment. I love it when you just have one of those days when your playing is firing on all cylinders. To surprise even yourself is a wonderful feeling. You just pull this BADASS nugget of musical gold from your ass! I especially love it when this happens onstage. You get that "Whoa!" expression on your face & then you start wondering, "How the hell did I do that?!?!?"
I get that when I'm jamming all the time. For example: There was this one time where I was playing with a drummer and bass player that I usually played with and we were waiting for this guitarist to get here, who none of us had ever played with. When he got here, he set up his stuff and said "ok, let's play" and I just started riffing this pretty cool song I was making off the top of my head and the bass player started to follow me and the drums came in right at the perfect moment. After another bar or so, the other guitarist came in with this great lead guitar over it. The quality of the sound in the room sounded more like something off a digitally mastered CD with great production than live stuff. The other guitarist is doing this crazy finger-tapped shredding that sounds great over my riffs, the bass, and the drums. Then the other guitarist switches into the main riffs I was playing and I, at the same time, switch into lead mode, playing a very different style of lead than he was playing.

Those are the kinds of experiences where you suprise yourself. I was thinking, "That main thing I was playing in the lead was awesome. How did I do that...? How did that go, anyway...?"
Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:01 AM   #9
Michael
No More Mr. Nice Guy

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I can still be really stoked by getting a new lick/riff down, but not as much as when I first started. It makes me want to learn more and more. When I see what I can accomplish with a little bit of practice, I just think "Hmmm, I wonder how many things I can get down if I practice for a little longer", and I'm always better for it when I finish practicing.

That's the great thing about playing guitar!
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:17 AM   #10
Mark. A
gang* 4 lyfe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It never really clicked when I got a song down, I just remember looking back and thinking how I thought I'd never be good and how terrible I was.

Mark. A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:28 AM   #11
abyssalservant
Ascaris

Shannon and Naren: +1.
We actually have this song in KHAZM that at least at one point felt that way every time we played it . . . I think the main reasons I haven't gotten that recently have been a combination of the loss of our other guitarist and me just being depressed and non-creative.
*overacting*
Oh my gods my life is misery. Stupid little goth . . . must kill myself yaaaaargh.
*/overacting*
I do get that every time I play something and my guitar teacher (Dave Shankle) likes it . . . *shrugs* it's all fun. If the "newbie satisfaction" feeling went away, why would I keep playing?

"Abyssalservant is so grim, he bleeds black and sweats chainmail. Surrender all your virgins!" -quartie
abyssalservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:37 PM   #12
David
je t'aime

damn shannon... 22 years... now I feel REALLY new... 3 years.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #13
The Dark Wolf
Canis lupis obscurus

Short answer - no.
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
FredGrass
Serial Chiller

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
LoL, I'm constantly getting that feeling, because I still AM a noob. I basically learn something new every day. It'll just be a little tiny thing every day, but the progress feels great. There's plenty more to come too cause I've been playing since last June or so and still haven't learned a whole song. Mad riffs, and little pieces of stuff, but I can barely play through this Chapter Four song, just the rhythm part. Aside from that I haven't learned a whole song. ....ed up, but when I make little baby steps it feels like I won the lottery so I love playing.

-Fred Grass
Serial chiller.
FredGrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:06 PM   #15
distressed_romeo
F'king ............

Only from the point of view of realising how much I've improved these past few years. It's nice to imagine the buzz I used to get from figuring out Sabbath riffs, but the buzz from watching my fingers doing exactly what I want is better.
Shannon expressed it perfectly in his post.

Define 'well-adjusted'...

http://farsideguitars.blogspot.com/
distressed_romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:36 PM   #16
SS.Org's Irish Guy

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
im just having immense amounts of trouble trying to speed up.......im my own worst critic butr god damn im slow, technique not v good either I think, ill be posting a video in like an hour look out for it and let me know what you think
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:35 PM   #17
Luan
SS.org Regular

No way, I choose to be right here where I am with the guitar.
You always have better objetives
Luan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:06 PM   #18
rogue
metal is forever

when i first learnt killswitch engage - end of heart ache (the descent on the D string after the chorus) i couldnt for the life of me do it any where near speed. then now i can do it perfect with the palm muting and alternate picking no problem, its cool but theres still so much left to do that i do feel like a newbie

if its too loud, your too old
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #19
distressed_romeo
F'king ............

That's the great thing about music; there's always something new to learn! As far as I'm concerned no musician should ever have any excuse for being bored...

Define 'well-adjusted'...

http://farsideguitars.blogspot.com/
distressed_romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:01 PM   #20
Your Majesty
Ibanez Goddess

I remember when I started out, I was really excited when I did get my first riff down and therefore, I do miss that feeling. But in all honesty, I would never want to go back and feel as if Iam a newbie to this all over. The learning curve was big for me and now that feel I do have a grasp on it, I would never want to give up that knowledge.

I remember my first guitar teacher was a complete asshole to me. Gave him the one finger salute and moved on to another guitar teacher. My second teacher was pretty cool. Very informative, very technical, very patient - all the qualities I look for and like, moreover, I try to bestow those qualities onto my students.

The only thing I never liked was his negative opinion of playing a 7 string. He challenged me a few times as to why I felt, I needed to play a 7 string, when a 6 string did the same thing. I remember debating and disagreeing with him, that I then began to think..... 'maybe I shouldn't play a 7?"

I didn't want to be influeneced and that's when it was time for me to grab my gear, pick my 7 and get the .... out! Thank god!

I'm still playing a 7 and I wouldn't want it any other way!

Yes, I'm a PROG METAL SNOB!
Your Majesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:54 AM   #21
Dive-Baum
Bite Me Fan Boy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
Agreed. I have never had the sence of acomplishment quite like the first time I read tab and learned to play a song (Welcome Home Sanitarium) but the feeling never truly goes away. We all love what we do. We have a passion for guitar and for music. When you have that golden moment and things just click, no matter what you level of playing, it just feels great. When that run you have been working on fits in with the riff you want to tie into it or you finally figure out the melody for that song you have had in your head. Those are great moments and the felling doesn't go away..unless you can't duplicate it again..DOH!!

Original EVH 5150 Head
Marshall 4x12 Cab
Ibanez RG440
Gibson Explorer
Custom Warmoth 7
Dive-Baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:11 AM   #22
nitelightboy
I poop in shoes.

The longer I play, the less frequently that happens, however I still get that awsome sense of "Holy mother of God". Before, I would get that feeling everytime I could pick a passage cleanly, or figuresomething out that was cool. Now, I'm a little less amazed with myself, however, that doesn't stop me from pushing myself to see if I can get that feeling again, and again.

I am the mask you wear.
nitelightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:16 AM   #23
Drew
Fear the Polo!

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The "Wow, I'm making music" thing was kind of cool initially, especially since prior to picking up the guitar I always considered myself very UN-musical, but do I miss that? No. The feeling of jamming out with a band or a backing or something, and ripping of a wild legato run and then a detached part of you stopping and thinking, "wow, that was actually a legitimately good run, something that wouldn't sound out of place on someone else's CD" is at least as rewarding as the first time I nailed the "Come As You Are" riff.

Guitar's the sort of thing where you never stop learning - there's always something to find rewarding, it's just the stakes get progressively higher as you go along.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Check out my debut album, Zero Mantra, on iTunes!
http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #24
Your Majesty
Ibanez Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Guitar's the sort of thing where you never stop learning - there's always something to find rewarding, it's just the stakes get progressively higher as you go along.
I agree. I experienced that when I stopped playing a 6 string guitar and moved to playing a 7 string guitar. Best decision and a rewarding one at that.

Yes, I'm a PROG METAL SNOB!
Your Majesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:19 AM   #25
nitelightboy
I poop in shoes.

I think one of the best things for me was when I finally landed my HD147. I plugged in, played around a bit and thought "OMG, that's MY TONE!!!" That alone inspired me to spend many hours jamming until my fingers were dead!

I am the mask you wear.
nitelightboy is offline   Reply With Quote