homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
code_red
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Question What do you think of metal bands with 2 singers?

Not like a frontman and a guitarist that sings but 2 full blown frontmen?

Me and my bf finally got a band going and our singer that we have now if really good at singing and high screams, but has no lows what-so-ever. Our music really calls for it. We were thinking of trying to find another guy that has great lows and mids. If it's done right do you think it will work? We're suppose to talk about it today at practice. We haven't brought it up to our current singer yet. I would think it would make it more diverse or more complicated depending on how it's done.

So, opinions?

Thanks

code_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
auxioluck
Metal Teddy Bear

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well, Despised Icon, Into Eternity, Sikth, and Origin do it, and those are 4 of my fav bands. I say go for it, it adds a lot of layering and versatility to the sound.
auxioluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
code_red
SS.org Regular

Cool, thanks for the reply. The hard part is finding someone...lol.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
a7stringkilla
ss.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
it all depends on what you guys like, not other people. i personally have never heard a band i liked with two vocalists. bands like that usually try to do waaaayyy too much. if your band calls for lows and mids, why dont you just get that style of vocalist and leave it at that. plus, you gotta worry about the two butting heads.
a7stringkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Triple7
The Decepticon

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I think it would definitely work. It would open up new doors for vocal harmonies and layering. There are plenty of bands that do it, just make sure both vocalists don't end up sounding the same like Fellsilent, I still like that band but from what I have read a lot of people don't like either of their vocalists.
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
code_red
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7stringkilla View Post
it all depends on what you guys like, not other people. i personally have never heard a band i liked with two vocalists. bands like that usually try to do waaaayyy too much. if your band calls for lows and mids, why dont you just get that style of vocalist and leave it at that. plus, you gotta worry about the two butting heads.
That's what I'm worried about. I don't want them to over complicate things or butt heads. We haven't talked to him yet either so he may not be into it at all so we'd have to say "see ya."

I do think if it's done right it would be awesome. But, like mentioned it could be too much... I'm mixed.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Mazzakazza
SS.org Regular

I think SikTh!
Mazzakazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Petef2007

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Go for it i say, theres plenty of bands who have 2 vocalists, as well as plenty who experiment with more then 1 vocalist too. As a7stringkilla said though, be wary of overcomplicating things, or on the other side of the scale, dumbing them down to the extent where a second vocalist would be unnecessary.
Petef2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
a7stringkilla
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzakazza View Post

I think SikTh!
i think ....!!!! song was great till the chorus hit, or didnt. if you want your music to go from heavy as hell to smooth jazz and back then yeah, do that. i personally like songs that stay within themselves and keep the same mood. lets put it this way. if heavy .... pumps you up and your sparring or something while that song is on, you might get yourself knocked out when the chorus plays. see what im getting at.....sorta?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

I like dual vocal melodies myself
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #11
darbdavys
ss.org Regular

Quote:
i think ....!!!! song was great till the chorus hit, or didnt. if you want your music to go from heavy as hell to smooth jazz and back then yeah, do that. i personally like songs that stay within themselves and keep the same mood. lets put it this way. if heavy .... pumps you up and your sparring or something while that song is on, you might get yourself knocked out when the chorus plays. see what im getting at.....sorta?
You're not cool enough for prog

The whole image is that eternal suffering awaits anyone who questions God's infinite love. That's the message we're brought up with, isn't it? Believe or die! Thank you, forgiving Lord, for all those options.
darbdavys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
svart
Far Beyond Metal

even though I like Sikth, and really love mercenary, if you need two singers... you got two singers that are not good enough IMHO. a decent singer can do it all on his own...
svart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
skinhead
Manager / RHLC

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
That's called variation, and I doubt that a lot of the new users here in the forum can get it

This forum turned out on a breakdown metal/deathcorish discussion

Maybe you can get this: If you neg rep me, I'm going to rip your ....ing face!

Back to da 'hood (sevenstring.org)
skinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #14
code_red
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svart View Post
if you need two singers... you got two singers that are not good enough IMHO. a decent singer can do it all on his own...
True. That's the whole reason we are doing it. The singer we have now doesn't have the range we need. (metal) Vocalists are hard to come by here. I would be happy with 2 decent singers.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
DaveCarter
Melowiddler

I love seeing metal bands with 2 vocalists, doeant really matter how heavy or melodic the band is, every time Ive seen a metal band with 2 frontmen it totally works.

UK Guitar Teacher and Session Guitarist

DaveCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #16
hufschmid
Banned

I find the idea killer!

Switchback is currently recording their new album and they have 2 singers now!

Its going to be epic ....ing brutal win!
hufschmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #17
Mazzakazza
SS.org Regular

Quote:
I wouldn't call the chorus of that song 'smooth jazz' by any measure. It retains the attack of the rest of the song, highlighted by the blasts on down-tuned guitars, then plunges back into the mechanical sonic frenzy that is (was ) Sikth.

If you wanna trade blows, I couldn't listen to unvaried stuff for very long, after a few tracks I'd get bored, so pumping out a chorus which is very similar to the song would be boring.
Mazzakazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
D-EJ915
<3's Tsukasa

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbdavys View Post
try to keep personal comments like this to yourself or word it in such a way to not be insulting to other members
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinhead View Post
calm down man geez

The band I think pulls off 2 actual singers the best is Showbread, not really sure how that style would work in a metal band. Most bands I've seen do 2 vocals have a guy scream and a guy do cleans but it could be cool with a screamer and a growler...just make sure they know their place and don't think one is the main singer you know.

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #19
code_red
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplinteredDave View Post
I love seeing metal bands with 2 vocalists, doeant really matter how heavy or melodic the band is, every time Ive seen a metal band with 2 frontmen it totally works.

Sweet.

We we're thinking about when we play live too. It doesn't hurt to have one more guy getting the crowd going.

I think we are definitely going to talk to him about it. If it's a yes, then we'll go for it. No, then we're replacing him. At least we're giving him a chance.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #20
a7stringkilla
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbdavys View Post
is this cool enough for you?
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=42860351

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinhead View Post
That's called variation, and I doubt that a lot of the new users here in the forum can get it

This forum turned out on a breakdown metal/deathcorish discussion

ripping my face isnt as easy as you might think. so yeah, i neg repped you n ill be waiting i guess.

Last edited by a7stringkilla; 04-21-2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #21
Metal Ken
Hates the Air

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxioluck View Post
Well, Despised Icon, Into Eternity, Sikth, and Origin do it, and those are 4 of my fav bands. I say go for it, it adds a lot of layering and versatility to the sound.
Into Eternity and Origin only have one frontman. Which isn't what OP was talking about.

Personally, i think its pointless as hell in a metal context.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #22
thinkpad20
plays guitar??

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxioluck View Post
Not sure about the others but Origin doesn't have two frontmen; it has James Lee as a singer and Ryan/Turner/Flores doing backup.

When I saw The Ocean live they had two singers. Seemed to work fine. Although their goddamn blinding light show kind of detracted from the performance as a whole (spent 75% of the show with my eyes closed )
thinkpad20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #23
Anthony
Banned

A Farewell To Legs has 2 singers, it sounds great. The bassist sings and the drummer growls.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #24
a7stringkilla
ss.org Regular

the best advice i can give you is to do what comes out of you naturally. if you gotta think to hard about that or complicate it somehow then youre going away from who you really are as a guitar player. people can tell when youre faking the funk so just play. if its really in you then youll do well n i hope it goes well for you.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #25
MerlinTKD
ERG Drummer!

2 singers can be done - and done well - but first of all, you have to have two singers that get along and can work together. After that, everything can fall into place pretty easily. Granted, as has been said, it'll be more effective on recordings if the two voices either sound different, or are doing different things. Live, it won't matter, because there's the visual aspect which will make up the difference.

You didn't mention the possibility of adding a female singer; she'd be unlikely to add low pitched vocals, but it would definitely give you a variety. Interlock did that, and did it well.

Let us know what you end up deciding to do!
MerlinTKD is offline   Reply With Quote