homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
  
General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
sevenstringj
Banned
 
sevenstringj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ny
Posts: 3,061
Thanked: 55
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Lightbulb The anti-melodic metal thread!!!

Seems metal these days is dominated by "melodic" metal. So let's throw out some of the more atonal stuff, as well as some of the more groove-oriented stuff (i.e., not melodic metal "breakdowns"). Some of my faves:

Suffocation
Dying Fetus
Cephalic Carnage
Broken Hope (RIP)
Cryptopsy (RIP, for all intents and purposes)
Candiria (RIP, for all intents and purposes)
Irate (RIP)
Cipher

NEED MORE!
sevenstringj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
shredfreak
SS.org Regular
 
shredfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ghent, Belgium
Posts: 716
Thanked: 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gorguts
shredfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
gatesofcarnage
The Canada
 
gatesofcarnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bourbon,MO
Posts: 1,003
Thanked: 19
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Cannibal Corpse
Behemoth
Pyscroptic
Gojira
Nile
Cattle Decapitation

gatesofcarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Dr. Von Goosewing
SS Contributor
 
Dr. Von Goosewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 222
Thanked: 5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Demilich
Dr. Von Goosewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Metal Ken
Hates the Air
 
Metal Ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 21,010
Thanked: 82
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Morbid Angel
Malevolent Creation
Deicide
Immolation \m/
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
JakeRI
 
JakeRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 759
Thanked: 38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Definitely Candiria!

JakeRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Imdeathcore
noob bear
 
Imdeathcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chilpancingo, Guerrero, Mexico
Posts: 256
Thanked: 6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
close mind
Imdeathcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
awesomeaustin
hates neck pickups.
 
awesomeaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: buttville, US ov A
Posts: 2,096
Thanked: 29
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Ackercocke

awesomeaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
eaeolian
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator
 
eaeolian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 13,368
Thanked: 60
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenstringj View Post
Seems metal these days is dominated by "melodic" metal.
Seems to me you have a 100% different definition of "melodic" from me. A little breakdown with some dude whining over it does not "melodic" make.

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
sevenstringj
Banned
 
sevenstringj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ny
Posts: 3,061
Thanked: 55
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaeolian View Post
Seems to me you have a 100% different definition of "melodic" from me. A little breakdown with some dude whining over it does not "melodic" make.
I never said melodic metal is some dude whining over a breakdown. Usually, they whine after the breakdown.

I'm just looking for some more atonal stuff, like Suffo and Broken Hope, as well as slam-worthy grooving like Candiria and Dying Fetus. I'm sure we can agree that none of those bands are melodic metal.

HAILS to the contributors thus far. I got some homework to do! Keep 'em comin!
sevenstringj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #11
Colton165
Resident burnout.
 
Colton165's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 250
Thanked: 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the only melodic metal i can think of is progish stuff like Pagans Mind, Vanden Plas, Dreamscape, and Circus Maximus.

or do you mean melodeath? im confused.

either way, i love Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Gorguts, Akercocke, Agalloch, and stuff like that.

the most atonal band i can think of is either Behold the Arctopus or Psyopus, the latter is so atonal i cant really listen to it.
Colton165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
Ildtid
ss.org Regular
 
Ildtid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
blood red throne
emeth
necrophagist
faceless
the last two are more technically interessting
Ildtid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #13
Lankles
Fuelled by Chicken alone.
 
Lankles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 705
Thanked: 9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ildtid View Post
necrophagist


Incantation
Hate Eternal


... 7-string Australian Tectonic Doom Metal ...
Lankles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
butcheredatbirt
ss.org Regular
 
butcheredatbirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 35
Thanked: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
any good death metal band
butcheredatbirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #15
Brendan G
What is this then?
 
Brendan G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Frederick Maryland
Posts: 1,270
Thanked: 10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blotted Science maybe?
Brendan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #16
Raoul Duke
This is bat country
 
Raoul Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SYDNEY
Posts: 1,139
Thanked: 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Five star prison cell

FIVE STAR PRISON CELL on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

All over the shop crazy ....

I don't think it's nice, you laughing. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. Gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #17
groph
surrounded by chairs
 
groph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 2,748
Thanked: 58
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DEVOURMENT
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #18
thinkpad20
plays guitar??
 
thinkpad20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 631
Thanked: 22
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ildtid View Post
blood red throne
emeth
necrophagist
faceless
the last two are more technically interessting
nooooooooo (well yeah they are more technical but they are also a bit boring...)

Besides the obvious (Deeds of Flesh, Decrepit Birth, Malevolent Creation, Immolation, Decapitated, Morbid Angel, Gorguts, Hate Eternal, Origin, Skinless, etc... I could go on) a few you'd almost certainly like, some you've probably heard of:


Kronos (CHECK THEM OUT NAO if you like your brutal death metal super catchy/groovy)
Defiled (very neat, very atonal!)
Intestine Baalism (ok, it's melodic at times but listen to it and you'll see why it doesn't ....ing matter)
Genna Apo Kolo (also super groovy)
Benighted (very groovy but a little more experimental/tech)
Ulcerate (super Gorguts-esque tech)
Gorgasm (RIP somewhat standard but lots of fun brutal death)
Infected Malignity (now a sort of metalcore-ish band, but their first album The Malignity Born From Despair is straight up high quality Suffo worship )
Infernal Revulsion (great brutal death/slam)
Soreption (tech stuff, haven't listened to much but it's pretty cool)
Inhuman Devotion (very techy brutal slam death... cool stuff)
Woundeep (somewhat Origin-esque... very fast brutal death)
Disconformity (SLAM! ....ing catchy)
Terminally Your Aborted Ghost
Swarrrm (super weird grindcore/death metal... their vocalist is ....ing insane)
Visceral Bleeding (very spastic tech-death, gets a little repetitive/boring at times though)
Yattering (brutal tech death, somewhat experimental)
Atheritic
Hate Plow
Sinners Bleed
Hyonblud
Internecine
Jasad
Karnak
Animals Killing People
Torso....
Mithras

so many more but I'll leave it at that... sorry I stopped typing descriptions but it was getting a little tiresome


Also... feel free to check out my brutal death metal project Kuroi:

Kuroi on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
thinkpad20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #19
Stealthdjentstic
Banned
 
Stealthdjentstic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canadia
Posts: 21,256
Thanked: 338
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Gorguts is awesome, its super atonal but really melodic at the same time.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #20
groph
surrounded by chairs
 
groph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 2,748
Thanked: 58
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad20 View Post
nooooooooo (well yeah they are more technical but they are also a bit boring...)

Besides the obvious (Deeds of Flesh, Decrepit Birth, Malevolent Creation, Immolation, Decapitated, Morbid Angel, Gorguts, Hate Eternal, Origin, Skinless, etc... I could go on) a few you'd almost certainly like, some you've probably heard of:


Kronos (CHECK THEM OUT NAO if you like your brutal death metal super catchy/groovy)
Defiled (very neat, very atonal!)
Intestine Baalism (ok, it's melodic at times but listen to it and you'll see why it doesn't ....ing matter)
Genna Apo Kolo (also super groovy)
Benighted (very groovy but a little more experimental/tech)
Ulcerate (super Gorguts-esque tech)
Gorgasm (RIP somewhat standard but lots of fun brutal death)
Infected Malignity (now a sort of metalcore-ish band, but their first album The Malignity Born From Despair is straight up high quality Suffo worship )
Infernal Revulsion (great brutal death/slam)
Soreption (tech stuff, haven't listened to much but it's pretty cool)
Inhuman Devotion (very techy brutal slam death... cool stuff)
Woundeep (somewhat Origin-esque... very fast brutal death)
Disconformity (SLAM! ....ing catchy)
Terminally Your Aborted Ghost
Swarrrm (super weird grindcore/death metal... their vocalist is ....ing insane)
Visceral Bleeding (very spastic tech-death, gets a little repetitive/boring at times though)
Yattering (brutal tech death, somewhat experimental)
Atheritic
Hate Plow
Sinners Bleed
Hyonblud
Internecine
Jasad
Karnak
Animals Killing People
Torso....
Mithras

so many more but I'll leave it at that... sorry I stopped typing descriptions but it was getting a little tiresome


Also... feel free to check out my brutal death metal project Kuroi:

Kuroi on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads


Ok, first off your band kicks ....ing ass, and your taste does equally as much. Discovered Kronos like last week and fell in love.
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #21
Cadavuh
Bounce The Tits
 
Cadavuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,521
Thanked: 77
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenstringj View Post
I never said melodic metal is some dude whining over a breakdown. Usually, they whine after the breakdown.

I'm just looking for some more atonal stuff, like Suffo and Broken Hope, as well as slam-worthy grooving like Candiria and Dying Fetus. I'm sure we can agree that none of those bands are melodic metal.

HAILS to the contributors thus far. I got some homework to do! Keep 'em comin!
slam-worthy grooving eh? Decapitated or Aeon
Cadavuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:45 AM   #22
thinkpad20
plays guitar??
 
thinkpad20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 631
Thanked: 22
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by groph View Post
Ok, first off your band kicks ....ing ass, and your taste does equally as much. Discovered Kronos like last week and fell in love.
Thanks dude! Glad you like it! And props on being a fellow appreciator of Kronos... seriously one of the funnest bands out there imo
thinkpad20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:54 AM   #23
Harry
Doom man of Doom.
 
Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Melbourne, Aus
Posts: 8,109
Thanked: 61
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I've become pretty obsessed with Behold..The Arctopus for non melodic stuff.
It took me a while to get into, but after a while it fits my ears.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #24
harkonnen8
SS.org Regular
 
harkonnen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Latvia
Posts: 340
Thanked: 5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've just checked out SOREPTION and it's really awesome!!! Thanks man!

YouTube - Part 4 SOREPTION SOLO Guitarrecording-09
harkonnen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #25
Wi77iam
Ibanez fanboi
 
Wi77iam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,216
Thanked: 20
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
I've become pretty obsessed with Behold..The Arctopus for non melodic stuff.
It took me a while to get into, but after a while it fits my ears.
Same here, the guy has a mad yellow RG565 prototype, (i think that's what it's called)
Wi77iam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.


Our Network: PRS Guitar Forum | Luthier Forum | SG Guitar Forum | Les Paul Forum | Marshall Amp Forum | Acoustic Guitar Forum

SS.org proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2004-2016, SevenString.org. All Rights Reserved.