homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Korea -We're not doing anything naughty, honest!

North Korea missile launch: a look at the country's weapons programme - Telegraph

So N. Korea recently launched a long-range missle capable of carrying a warhead, and it violates their 2007 ballistics agreement with the UN. Bespire numerous warnings, they launched it and the 3 stage missile fell into teh pacific ocean.

N. Korea say it was purely to test lanch satellites, but US officials say it is a cover for a ballistic missile development.

What you guys think?

I think N. Korea definately want to improve their weapons, and their complete unwillingness to negotiate makes me think they want to provoke other countries or soemthing.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
auxioluck
Metal Teddy Bear

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I think it was best put by another member on here that North Korea has always done this "rattling the sabers" technique. They are notorious for getting people stirred up and on edge, possibly just to see what happens. I think what they don't understand is that there is a large possibility that should they decide to actually launch a warhead at someone, it won't be just America that sticks their nose in it this time.
auxioluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Daemoniac
Rivethead Magnate.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It definitely seems that way. They're one of very few countries that i honestly think are just plain aggressive, and also one of few countries whose leaders really aren't willing to compromise...

I shudder to think about how this will end though... but, by the same token, i have been accused of being a cynic and a pessimist, so im probably wrong
Daemoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Stealthdjentstic
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
N. Korea just pisses me off alot because they spend loads of money on weapons and then none to help their starving population.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
Tiger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ive got this strong feeling that Im going to be in North Korea in just a few short years if I get assigned to that team.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Daemoniac
Rivethead Magnate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Ive got this strong feeling that Im going to be in North Korea in just a few short years if I get assigned to that team.

Something about that country gives me shivers down my spine...

EDIT: Mainly the government... to be fair i dont know any of the actual people.

Last edited by Daemoniac; 04-07-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Daemoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
troyguitar
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I find the whole situation somewhat ironic.

The North Koreans do whatever they want - .... the rest of the world...

That attitude is very familiar!
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:32 AM   #8
yingmin
Parker über alles

North Korea makes the Chinese communist party look sane and rational. It's kind of awesome how completely unhinged they are.

Kidnapping Japanese actresses because your leader is a movie fanatic? Check!

Keeping spotlights shining 24/7 on a huge statue of your leader while thousands of people starve to death? Check!
yingmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #9
arktan
Icnomptenent

Yeah. North Korea is not what i would call a nice country to visit.

But i highly doubt that there will be a war or something similar.
You know why? Kim has all the weapons that Saddam "had".
Just imagine a North Korea without the weapons and capability to start nukes... how many times do you think it would have been invaded?

I (edit: )absolutely(/edit) don't like North Korea but i see why they're doing this. Like an animal that's pushed in a corner (edit: )and afraid of getting attacked(/edit).
We're running out of enemies in the West here after all...

Forward.
arktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:08 AM   #10
Korbain
Stay negative!

lol typical north korea. Always trying to stir the pot. Though, its always possible through time they'll do something dumb as time goes on. Lets hope not. They just like a bit of attention every now and then, thats my view on it.

http://soundcloud.com/korbaink7 New song added 14/2/16
Korbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:47 AM   #11
DDDorian
Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator

North Korea doesn't have jack .... in the way of WMD's but they do have fifty years' worth of entrenched artillery pointed directly at Seoul. There's no way any conflict with North Korea wouldn't end with hundreds of thousands of casualties. It's irrelevant, really, as North Korea just does this .... to extort more aid from countries like America and will keep doing it for as long as the countries they share borders with, namely China and Russia, have veto power with the UN.
DDDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:39 AM   #12
Scar Symmetry
Ex Whiny Bitch

the way I see it, North Korea are acting like a teenager who's realised the consequences of his actions aren't too severe, so is pushing his limits to see what he can get away with.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bull.....
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #13
RenegadeDave
Huge nerd

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Supposedly the satellite is to track weather and broadcast patriotic songs.

How romantic :P

I think Team America: World Police did the best job profiling Kim Jong Il's instability.

Do you have any idea how ....in' bisy I am?

"No it doesn't surprise me you know origami. You know origami and play speed metal on 7 string guitars."

- my former boss
RenegadeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:49 AM   #14
Scar Symmetry
Ex Whiny Bitch

^ absolutely!

Team America = win.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bull.....
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:56 AM   #15
hairychris
Hairy Old Bloke

Well pretty much the only reason that they're still in one piece is because of funding and support from China, and I think that China will pull the plug if they become a danger to them directly rather then a distraction for the rest of the world.

Crazy as the leaders are I'm not sure that they would overstep the mark because they rather like being in power.

And +1 to the view that it's ironic that NK has the weapons that Iraq was supposed to but, gee, have they been trodden on in the same way? We know this, and they most definitely do so it's obvious why they're giving the world the finger. China, by the way, will be enjoying this immensely (unless NK piss them off as I mentioned earlier)...

GADZOOKS AND ODDS BODKINS!!!!!
Not a hipster: Blackmachine, Paul Reed Smith, EBMM, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Gibson, Boss, Diezel, Framus, VHT, GK, Barefaced, TC, Electro Harmonix, Korg, Alesis, MFB, Doepfer, Moog, Arturia, Waldorf, Access.
hairychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #16
E Lucevan Le Stelle
in love with Judas

North Korea won't actually do anything, because they know they'll get the most epic beating since Fred Durst decided he could cut it in the UFC sometime in 2011 (), and their leadership doesn't want to be "removed".

However, they will certainly go on trying to see what they can get away with...
E Lucevan Le Stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #17
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

Korea aren't dangerous by international standards, same as Russia and Iraq, their weapons are kept in mystery because they don't want to look. However, their geographical placement means they could definately cause damage to neighbouring countries, and they do have a large army. They definately need to be dealt with, and their missile launch was a mistake for 2 reasons; 1. we know how reckless they are and their disregard for international law. 2. their missile launch failed, so if it was a ballistic missile they clearly aren't as developed as they'd like us to believe. Same mistake Russia made when they paraded their 'new' weapons.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #18
Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoniac View Post

Something about that country gives me shivers down my spine...

EDIT: Mainly the government... to be fair i dont know any of the actual people.
Ive got a few countries in mind I'd like to be deployed to, North Korea is definitely on the list.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #19
arktan
Icnomptenent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Ive got a few countries in mind I'd like to be deployed to, North Korea is definitely on the list.

I heard that they don't like "tourists" that much, they seem to be afraid of them

You should also put Zimbabwe on your list.

Forward.
arktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #20
PlagueX1
Banned

North Korea is definitely just trying to push the boundaries I believe. Doubt it will escalate into anything further, who knows though. I find it hilarious that Kim Jung Ill is a huge movie fanatic and James Bond is one of his favorite series. lol

Apparently any tourists who go over there are treated like movie stars, as long as you treat them with the up most respect and don't go anywhere your not supposed to. lol
PlagueX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #21
troyguitar
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I don't quite understand how it's unacceptable for them to do whatever the hell they want - that is exactly what the USA has been doing for 60+ years.

We are the ONLY country who was actually used nuclear weapons as an act of war - if anything we have shown that we should not be allowed to have such weapons.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #22
PlagueX1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
I don't quite understand how it's unacceptable for them to do whatever the hell they want - that is exactly what the USA has been doing for 60+ years.

We are the ONLY country who was actually used nuclear weapons as an act of war - if anything we have shown that we should not be allowed to have such weapons.
Really by them standards no one should be allowed to have nuclear weapons, which is true. They are after all made for war.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #23
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post

Heed the age old saying 'two wrongs don't make a right'.

Britain has not got the most illustrious hostory either, but thats in the past. Korea are the only country that I know of that honest to God flaunt the fact they don't give a ..... Hey, maybe it is a stab at the way the Western world has been doing things, but that doesn't make it right. As MEDCs, we have the obligation to restore balance where others are unable to do so themselves. Hence the war in Iraq was a good thing (to an extent, there were a lot of .... ups there), political stability was needed for the people's sake. Eventually they'll have it. Korea need to sort themselves out, and start working as a government should do rather than opressing. We shouldn't stand by and let them continue, just because we may be hypocritical.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #24
PlagueX1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
Heed the age old saying 'two wrongs don't make a right'.

Britain has not got the most illustrious hostory either, but thats in the past. Korea are the only country that I know of that honest to God flaunt the fact they don't give a ..... Hey, maybe it is a stab at the way the Western world has been doing things, but that doesn't make it right. As MEDCs, we have the obligation to restore balance where others are unable to do so themselves. Hence the war in Iraq was a good thing (to an extent, there were a lot of .... ups there), political stability was needed for the people's sake. Eventually they'll have it. Korea need to sort themselves out, and start working as a government should do rather than opressing. We shouldn't stand by and let them continue, just because we may be hypocritical.
So we should what, go to war with them?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #25
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlagueX1 View Post
So we should what, go to war with them?
No no I'm not saying that, I'm simply saying we need to resolve things with Korea, hopefully purely in a political way, without going to war. However, as this thread proves, they are less than inclined to listen. Hopefully it never comes to war, but Korea are a loose cannon.