homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food Exercise plans, recipes & general healthy living discussion here.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
MikeH
Bring the gain

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Straight Edge

So I'm completely surprised that noone has made a thread about this. Then again, I don't exactly know who is and who isn't edge on here.

But anyways, I recently claimed edge and alot of people have been giving me .... about it. "Oh you're just a stupid scene kid," " You're just being trendy," etc.. But in all honesty, I'm not doing it for any reason but my own personal benefit. I am friends with a bunch of stoners, and a bunch of kids who are borderline alcoholics. I still hang out with them all the time and I'm not going to stop. It's just pissing me off that so many people think I'm just in it to be "cool". I mean I hate the taste of alcohol, I don't like pot and am smart enough to never go any further than that, and I'm with a girl who I can have sex with and not feel guilty about it because we've been dating for 3 months now. What reason do I have not to?

So if anyone is edge, hates edge, isn't edge, but supports it, etc., here's the place to discuss it.

KEEP IT GRIM IN THE GYM
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
ZeroSignal
Appreciates Kwolity

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I don't drink, smoke, do drugs or whatever and I'm not "straight edge" or do I ever claim to be. I mean, I don't move in "scene" circles, paint Xs on the back of my hands or was a punk in the 80s or 90s or whenever the straight edge thing was.
ZeroSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
hufschmid
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
dude, i tought you where talking about this....
hufschmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
MikeH
Bring the gain

Cool.

KEEP IT GRIM IN THE GYM
Old 12-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Brendan G
What is this then?

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
I don't drink, smoke, do drugs or whatever and I'm not "straight edge" or do I ever claim to be. I mean, I don't move in "scene" circles, paint Xs on the back of my hands or was a punk in the 80s or 90s or whenever the straight edge thing was.
Same with me, I don't consider myself straight edge, just a...uh what do you call it? Law abiding citizen .
Brendan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
m3ta1head
2[H]4U

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Straight edge? Whats that?

Seriously though, I have no problem with people who live a straight edge lifestyle-I do find it annoying, however, when these kinds of people proclaim themselves as the next coming, and act all high and mighty and put others down for using substances. There's very little wrong with most drugs in moderation
m3ta1head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
MikeH
Bring the gain

Which is exactly what I'm not. I don't care that people do drugs. It's fine by me. I just choose not to.

KEEP IT GRIM IN THE GYM
Old 12-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
jymellis
Talk To DeWalt

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibz_rg View Post
alot of people have been giving me .... about it. "Oh you're just a stupid scene kid," " You're just being trendy,".
so come hang out with me, well play 7s and they can fuk off

one question though. what the hell is claiming edge?
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #9
ZeroSignal
Appreciates Kwolity

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ta1head View Post
Seriously though, I have no problem with people who live a straight edge lifestyle-I do find it annoying, however, when these kinds of people proclaim themselves as the next coming, and act all high and mighty and put others down for using substances. There's very little wrong with most drugs in moderation
Heh, yeah, I don't care what people do and I most certainly don't take a high and mighty approach, hell, I usually don't even tell people unless they ask. Anyway, my point is I also find it irritating when people put people down for drinking but I also find it even more irritating when people who do (and this is mostly stoner hippies) put you down for not abusing drugs.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
shadowgenesis
Yarrrrrr

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
"Straight Edge" has become a bad word, like Dave Matthews or "emo." As in each of these cases, I think it's more of a negative association with the type of people who identify as such. People who identify themselves as straight usually have an agenda. Because if you (and I'm not meaning YOU specifically but you in the general sense) wanted to not use drugs and not drink then you just wouldn't have to do it. But if you decide to identify yourself as something by giving a title, it comes across as you're trying to make a statement - which I think most people are. So yeah, most people who claim edge are usually calling attention to it and have something to prove, which is why so many of those people come of as high-n-mighty self righteous judgemental douchebags. I used to be one of those. gotta love highschool...
I'm not saying you're doing it for those reasons, but look at it this way. Its a term that has really strong associations with a particular scene, style, and persona. Do you really want to put that label on yourself?
Most people I know these days who live by that lifestyle, as I myself did until recently, will say exactly what ZeroSignal said.
"I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or .... around, but I don't consider myself straight edge."

"I have a koala bear infestation in my apartment. It's the cutest infestation ever. Way better than cockroaches..."
shadowgenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #11
m3ta1head
2[H]4U

Quote:
Anyway, my point is I also find it irritating when people put people down for drinking but I also find it even more irritating when people who do (and this is mostly stoner hippies) put you down for not abusing drugs.
Completely valid point-I hang out with some people like that and it's very annoying at times. I'm not a big drinker (I like to sip and ENJOY my beer, not chug it), and can't really hold my booze that well, and I get made fun of by my college buddies all the time. .... em'
Old 12-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
thedownside
SS.org Regular

i dont drink, do any sort of drugs, and only some cigs. i hang out with mostly people that do all those things, and i have no problem with that, and most of tthem have no problem with me. but i wouldnt go around sying i'm this or that, i just dont do it. the only time it becomes an issue is if someone is trying to pressure me into doing it (i'm 30, come on). and i've had a few people that didnt like that i said no blow pot smoke in my face, that didnt end well.
thedownside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
ZeroSignal
Appreciates Kwolity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownside View Post
the only time it becomes an issue is if someone is trying to pressure me into doing it (i'm 30, come on). and i've had a few people that didnt like that i said no blow pot smoke in my face, that didnt end well.
Oh man! If anyone ever did that I'd get medieval on their asses!

So far I've only ever had one or two people try to pressure me and it really didn't last long until they got the picture.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #14
thedownside
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Oh man! If anyone ever did that I'd get medieval on their asses!

So far I've only ever had one or two people try to pressure me and it really didn't last long until they got the picture.

trust me, them, and most people around them would never attempt it again
thedownside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
telecaster90
Smokestack Lightning

Well, I'm pretty far from straight edge, but I'm a big Minor Threat fan so I guess I'm straight with straight edge.

telecaster90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #16
Marv Attaxx
ಠ_ಠ

I've been straight edge for almost 20 years without even knowing the term
Yeah, but I've started drinkin about half a year ago but I still don't drink that often..maybe once in the month or something
Marv Attaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #17
Tiger

Eh, being self important enough to refer yourself with that term just seems like vanity to me.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #18
renzoip
I Am the Table

Dude, i totally respect you for claiming edge. I know that SxE has negative connotations to a lot of people but if you know why you are doing it and don't care what other people think then I support you. I used to be a major straight edger myself back a few years ago. I have never like hardcore. I was a punk rocker and hung out with a bunch of other punks, crusties and hippies who did tons of drugs because it was encouraged in the scene; I could not stand it. I got .... from tons of people because I did not want to conform to what the media and the scene said was the thing to do. I have seen friends and family destroy their lives due to drugs. I am not a SxE anymore since I do drink sometimes (in moderation). However, I am still strictly against drugs only not because of what they has done to people close to me but also because all the illegal drug money goes to fund street gangs, guerrilla groups and drug cartels; all of these terrorize towns and villages all over the world (specially third wold countries). I know drug addicts don't care about anyone's suffering as long as they can get high, but I do.

So thanks for posting a thread about this and up the SxE!

DARK LEGACY - Progressive Power Metal from South FL!
renzoip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #19
Misanthropy
Kebab Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Eh, being self important enough to refer yourself with that term just seems like vanity to me.
I agree, the whole " straight edge" thing is just silly and TRENDY, we need a name for being wild and drunk/stoned, "not straight-edge" for life!!.

OLD youtube Channe(No longer updated):
http://uk.youtube.com/DeathcoreDude

Black/Death symphonic metal side project :
https://www.facebook.com/Darkritualuk
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHS...isZiJKJXSWDrSw
Misanthropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #20
lobee
vicioustabbing

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgenesis View Post
"Straight Edge" has become a bad word, like Dave Matthews or "emo." As in each of these cases, I think it's more of a negative association with the type of people who identify as such. People who identify themselves as straight usually have an agenda. Because if you (and I'm not meaning YOU specifically but you in the general sense) wanted to not use drugs and not drink then you just wouldn't have to do it. But if you decide to identify yourself as something by giving a title, it comes across as you're trying to make a statement - which I think most people are. So yeah, most people who claim edge are usually calling attention to it and have something to prove, which is why so many of those people come of as high-n-mighty self righteous judgemental douchebags. I used to be one of those. gotta love highschool...
I'm not saying you're doing it for those reasons, but look at it this way. Its a term that has really strong associations with a particular scene, style, and persona. Do you really want to put that label on yourself?
Most people I know these days who live by that lifestyle, as I myself did until recently, will say exactly what ZeroSignal said.
"I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or .... around, but I don't consider myself straight edge."
lobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #21
m3ta1head
2[H]4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzoip View Post
Dude, i totally respect you for claiming edge. I know that SxE has negative connotations to a lot of people but if you know why you are doing it and don't care what other people think then I support you. I used to be a major straight edger myself back a few years ago. I have never like hardcore. I was a punk rocker and hung out with a bunch of other punks, crusties and hippies who did tons of drugs because it was encouraged in the scene; I could not stand it. I got .... from tons of people because I did not want to conform to what the media and the scene said was the thing to do. I have seen friends and family destroy their lives due to drugs. I am not a SxE anymore since I do drink sometimes (in moderation). However, I am still strictly against drugs only not because of what they has done to people close to me but also because all the illegal drug money goes to fund street gangs, guerrilla groups and drug cartels; all of these terrorize towns and villages all over the world (specially third wold countries). I know drug addicts don't care about anyone's suffering as long as they can get high, but I do.

So thanks for posting a thread about this and up the SxE!
Your allegations are pretty far fetched, man...
Old 12-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #22
Se7enMeister
*Likes Basswood*

I dont poison my body or shorten my life span by drinking caustic chemicals or inhaling burning vegetation

"There's a party in Zepp's mouth and everyones coming"

Origanally posted by Variant - Pulled from the river Styx, the mighty black oar of doom in hand! I certainly would not call this particular guitar an "axe" more like a club. Noodles' KxK would run through an emo, spilling his insides for a quick death, this blunt mace would bludgeon the unfortunate effeminate soul, breaking bones, and causing internal bleeding to lead only to a slow, painful death
Se7enMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #23
ZeroSignal
Appreciates Kwolity

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ta1head View Post
Your allegations are pretty far fetched, man...
People, lets NOT turn this into a ....-flinging "Drugs are bad/good, m'kay" competition. I've seen WAAAAYYY too many in my short time here to know they don't end well. This isn't just directed at you Mr. Head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enMeister View Post
I dont poison my body or shorten my life span by drinking caustic chemicals or inhaling burning vegetation
Nice way of putting it.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #24
ohio_eric
SS Contributor

I don't drink, smoke or do drugs.

Though not drinking around this forum puts you in a tiny minority.
ohio_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #25
abysmalrites
---

Not straight edge myself, but I've got nothing against being straight edge unless you're flaunting the fact las if it makes you better than everyone else.
abysmalrites is offline   Reply With Quote