homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
TravisMontgomery
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good poweramp for Axe-Fx??

I'm getting one of these soon, and was wondering what type of poweramp I should get. I can't spend a whole lot on one, so I was thinking maybe a SS poweramp would work?
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Minoin
Scientist

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My first choice would be a VHT 2502 I guess. But if don't have that much to spend, I'd say a Peavey 50/50.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
thebhef
KingShitof....Mountn

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would think you'd want a hi-fi amp. You're modeling the power amp with axe-fx, too. No reason to bother with tubes as far as I can imagine. It'll just color your tone more. Same with guitar speakers. PV, QSC and Crown are all pretty good amps. The RMX series from qsc seems pretty solid to me. There are some inexpensive QSCs and PV's on MusiciansFriend.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
Crucified
Deathgrind Maniac

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
if you're spending big money of the preamp, don't skimp on the power side. tube power is where it's at.

------------------------

Don't talk .... about total.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
eegor
Theoretical Reality

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Carvin?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Anton
Death Squad

Stupid quetion: I'm thinking of getting the Axe Fx aswell, can I just connect it to a cab and that's it? Or I need a power amp?

SikTh
Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
7 Strings of Hate
Mid-Level Asshole

Feedback Score: 36 reviews
if your doing solidstate i'd go with a mackie, if your doing tubes a peavey 50/50 would be fine

Confront and Destroy!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
7 Strings of Hate
Mid-Level Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton View Post
Stupid quetion: I'm thinking of getting the Axe Fx aswell, can I just connect it to a cab and that's it? Or I need a power amp?
you have to have a power amp

Confront and Destroy!
Old 11-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
TravisMontgomery
SS.org Regular

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll check out Mackie and Carvin power amps. I've read about a lot of people using Carvin with their Axe Fx's, so I'm leaning towards those.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
Anton
Death Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Strings of Hate View Post
you have to have a power amp
Sorry for the newbie question but why do I have to have a poweramp? for the AxeFx or for the cab?
If I have a amp head I dont need the power amp right?

SikTh

Old 11-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #11
7 Strings of Hate
Mid-Level Asshole

^ an amp head has a pre amp AND a power amp in the same box, when you buy the axe fx your just getting a pre amp, you have to have a power amp to amplify the signal to the cabinet. you could still plug into the axe and listen through headphones if it has a jack for it but thats all you could do with out the power amp

so yea, if you have an amp head you'll probably have a jack that lets you bypass its preamp and use an outboard pre amp and us the power section of the head

Confront and Destroy!
Old 11-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
march
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton View Post
You can go straight from the AxeFx to active speakers, or you can hook it up to either a solid state/tube power amp, through either regular guitar speakers cabinet or FRFR* passive speakers.

Depending on the setup you will either have to activate the mic modeling and cabinet simulation (in a FRFR setup), or deactivate it (with guitar speakers).

So, afaik:

AxeFx > PA FRFR active speakers
AxeFx > FRFR tube-driven speakers (ex: Traynor K2)
AxeFx > tube power amp > guitar speakers cab
AxeFx > solid state power amp > guitar speakers cab
AxeFx > solid state power amp >passive FRFR PA speakers

* FRFR - Full Range Flat Response. This means the combined amp and speaker system covers the full range of hearing (20Hz to 20KHz) and that the response is flat over this range. Guitar tones only produce sound over a range of about 50HZ to 10KHz.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #13
mnemonic
Custom User Title

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
if i had an axe fx i would probably go with clean solidstate poweramp. the axe fx models the poweramp as well as the preamp, so i would try to get a poweramp that doesn't color the tone.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #14
Anton
Death Squad

Ok this is clear,So another question I see for example someone is using a invader 100>axe fx>Cab
Why would some one want 2 preamps(head+axe fx) and is it possible to connecet and use both the same time from the same cab?(or the head power amp is powerfull enough for both)
I confused couse I see people use preamps and heads toghether I want to understand how do they work together and how does it contribute to sound?

Thanks for the explenation

Quote:
^ an amp head has a pre amp AND a power amp in the same box, when you buy the axe fx your just getting a pre amp, you have to have a power amp to amplify the signal to the cabinet. you could still plug into the axe and listen through headphones if it has a jack for it but thats all you could do with out the power amp

so yea, if you have an amp head you'll probably have a jack that lets you bypass its preamp and use an outboard pre amp and us the power section of the head

SikTh

Old 11-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #15
7 Strings of Hate
Mid-Level Asshole

^ if you really like the tone of the preamp your head has in it and you want to use of effects(because most amp head pre amps dont have effects in them), then you can plug a pre like the axe fx into your effects loop(or the front of the amp but most people dont care to do that) and just use the axe for effects and get your distortion and clean guitar tones from the actual amp heads' pre amp still.

Confront and Destroy!
Old 11-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #16
Anton
Death Squad

Quote:
^ if you really like the tone of the preamp your head has in it and you want to use of effects(because most amp head pre amps dont have effects in them), then you can plug a pre like the axe fx into your effects loop(or the front of the amp but most people dont care to do that) and just use the axe for effects and get your distortion and clean guitar tones from the actual amp heads' pre amp still.
Ok this start to make some sense,If I have a head and a preamp and the heads distortions isnt heavy enough or whatever for me,I can add some heavines and boost to it throw a preamp right?

SikTh

Old 11-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #17
7 Strings of Hate
Mid-Level Asshole

basically, OR, if you didnt like your distorted tone out of the head, you could just put your head on its clean channel, put that channels eq flat(12 o'clock) and use the other pre's distortion and just use the power from the head.
in the situation i just described it would make more sense to sell the head and just buy a power amp.

is that you in your avatar pic? if so your a big mofo man

Confront and Destroy!
Old 11-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #18
Anton
Death Squad

Yeah that's me LOL

Well everything makes sense now,Thanks!
I see that alot of people on the forum use Invaders and axe fx...I thought they use seem both together the same time...and not each separately that's why I had a big mess in my head

SikTh

Old 11-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #19
Shannon
Lord Super Awesome

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
For SS amps, check out Carvin. Reasonably priced & tons of clean power. I'm using a DCM1500 power two 2x12 cabs (300w @ 8 ohms per side).
Old 11-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #20
TomAwesome
I LIKE JUICE!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I think there has been a little bit of misuse of the word "preamp" here. In a head, the preamp is the part of the amp that shapes the tone (including adding gain) before it's amplified by the power amp and sent to the speakers. A preamp isn't really an effect per se. The Axe-FX isn't a preamp really. It's a multi-fx unit with amp modeling. Of course you can turn off the effects and power amp and cab sims to use it in effect as a preamp, but to refer to the Axe-FX as a preamp is a little misleading. It's more along the lines of a GT-X or a POD, only much better.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
Old 11-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #21
7 Strings of Hate
Mid-Level Asshole

if they had a splitting hairs emotocon, i'd use it here tom

Confront and Destroy!
Old 11-17-2008, 01:32 AM   #22
TomAwesome
I LIKE JUICE!!!

I dunno, I'd consider that to be a pretty big, shaggy, pubey hair. :P

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
Old 11-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #23
Christopher
Total Rondo Addict!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I started out with a Classic 50/50 with mine. Got a Carvin DCM 600 and sold the Peavey. The 600 was cheaper, lighter, more consistent and sounded better. If I were to go tube, I'd do with a VHT or a Randall RT2/50.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #24
sakeido
Is a Pastafarian

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAwesome View Post
I think there has been a little bit of misuse of the word "preamp" here. In a head, the preamp is the part of the amp that shapes the tone (including adding gain) before it's amplified by the power amp and sent to the speakers. A preamp isn't really an effect per se. The Axe-FX isn't a preamp really. It's a multi-fx unit with amp modeling. Of course you can turn off the effects and power amp and cab sims to use it in effect as a preamp, but to refer to the Axe-FX as a preamp is a little misleading. It's more along the lines of a GT-X or a POD, only much better.
It says right on it that it is a preamp

It also does everything a preamp does, so it is a preamp and effects processor. Like it says on the box.

To the OP, I'd go with a tube power amp... the Axe's preamp simulations are fantastic, running into the power amp of my Invader it sounds phenomenal, but the power amp sims have an unusual quality about them. I really don't like the cab sims either, so I'd advise against a FRFR setup.

A VHT 2/50/2 is probably the way to go.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #25
Zepp88
Arktanian Diplomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucified View Post
if you're spending big money of the preamp, don't skimp on the power side. tube power is where it's at.
I'm really close to agreeing with this. I have both a Mesa 50/50 and a QSC GX-3 power amp, the Mesa of course is tube and the QSC is solid state.

I still need to try the QSC in a band environment but what I'm finding so far is that the solid state amp cannot do what tubes do, not at all. While the QSC sounds good it does not have that room filling all enveloping effect that tubes have, it also does not have the feel. No matter how good the AxeFx is, it's only as good as what you run it into.

Even with the coloration of the Mesa poweramp it sounds and feels great, so ultimately it leads me to an ultra clean hifi tube poweramp. The VHT amps seem to be a popular choice for this. How I'm going to snag a VHT? I have no idea.
Closed Thread