homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
Thrashmanzac
plays in 69/42

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What do you beleive happens when you die?

this subject has always been really interesting to me, i love hearing other peoples opinions on the subject.
my veiws on it are not very optimistic.
i beleive that when you die, you rot in the ground and become worm food. it may sound a tad rough, but i cant beleive that life is just one big test. i think when you die there is just nothing. although nothing is impossible to imagine.
so please, discuss

...Each guitarist has an evil fat 40 year old blueswankler trying to get out, If you give in to temptation you'll be sitting next to a fender playing john lee hooker while trying to keep your combover in place.

-Desecrated

being black and enjoying watermelon, i think this thread needs more watermelon.
budda
Thrashmanzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
TimSE
SS Contributor

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
u know when u sleep but dont have a dream
pretty much that
TimSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
MrJack
Paha Arkkitehti

You cease to exist, not physically of course but mentally. The closest thing to an afterlife that I believe in is that you still live in people's memories of you.
MrJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
Thrashmanzac
plays in 69/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSE View Post
pretty much that
i always have dreams
but yeah thats what im thinking, time would fly, but there would be no time, but you wouldnt know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJack View Post
You cease to exist, not physically of course but mentally. The closest thing to an afterlife that I believe in is that you still live in people's memories of you.
ah man!
couldnt have put it better myself!
as you can read

...Each guitarist has an evil fat 40 year old blueswankler trying to get out, If you give in to temptation you'll be sitting next to a fender playing john lee hooker while trying to keep your combover in place.

-Desecrated

budda

Last edited by Thrashmanzac; 09-02-2008 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
hairychris
Hairy Old Bloke

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Worm food.

Hence make the most of being alive and not worry about what happens after you die. I imagine that immortality in any form would be really ....ing boring.

GADZOOKS AND ODDS BODKINS!!!!!
Not a hipster: Blackmachine, Paul Reed Smith, EBMM, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Gibson, Boss, Diezel, Framus, VHT, GK, Barefaced, TC, Electro Harmonix, Korg, Alesis, MFB, Doepfer, Moog, Arturia, Waldorf, Access.
hairychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
Thrashmanzac
plays in 69/42

^ yeah exatcly man, thats how i look at it. more motivation to live a good life

-Desecrated

budda
Old 09-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
Naren
OldschoolGhettostyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSE View Post
pretty much that
That's pretty much the way I've always thought of it.

Another comparison is that your brain is like a computer that will be completely erased and unusable if it is ever turned off. When you sleep, your brain is in "sleep mode" and still okay. But when you are not breathing, your heart isn't beating, and your blood isn't pumping, your computer is off, effectively erasing everything and making your hardware (body) useless.

Of course, this is something that can never be proven because once you're dead, you no longer exist, so you can't be like "Yeah, I was dead for a few days and there was this Satan dude." or "Yeah, I was dead for a year, but there really was nothing there."
Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
Diogene303
ss.org Regular

Hi Guys,

Read though this and wanted to ask a different question, why is it then that when you die / or the people you loved die that ....some people don't bother with that persons grave .....the reason i ask is so many times i've visited my mother grave and i look around and see all these's people's grave in a mess ...or people just don't bother i find the whole thing very sad ......

Oh trust me guys memory's never fade !
Diogene303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
MrJack
Paha Arkkitehti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogene303 View Post
Hi Guys,
Read though this and wanted to ask a different question, why is it then that when you die / or the people you loved die that ....some people don't bother with that persons grave .....the reason i ask is so many times i've visited my mother grave and i look around and see all these's people's grave in a mess ...or people just don't bother i find the whole thing very sad ......
In some cases it's cause they don't live in the area and can't go there often. We usually go to my grandparents graves around 4 times a year and my uncle and cousins go there too.
MrJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
forelander
you fail me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren View Post
Of course, this is something that can never be proven because once you're dead, you no longer exist, so you can't be like "Yeah, I was dead for a few days and there was this Satan dude." or "Yeah, I was dead for a year, but there really was nothing there."
While true that it can't exactly be proven, people can certainly be dead for minutes and be revived. Someone I know has been clinically dead for a few minutes (not in an operation, after an electrical accident) but is currently doing just fine. I've never asked him if he 'saw' or 'remembered' anything but it's certainly interesting.

I'd be especially curious to know if the 'visions' people report are just dreams that happen in the instant they're revived (I dunno if anyone's been knocked out or choked out but mates have said they swore they were asleep for hours as they had 'long' dreams but were only out a few seconds) or if they do have memory of something that can't have been a dream.

Jetzt liegst du hier, ganz regungslos, in meiner hand und meinem schoß, du bist so kalt...
forelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #11
thesimo
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
it goes black and you cease to exist, your body is dead and assuming its a siwft death your brain stays alive in a state of ecstacy before it dies too, you would be in shock so you wouldnt be in pain, quite a happy death really (assuming a swift decapitation or the like).
thesimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #12
Desecrated
Dirty Lurker

You cease to exist. your body gets cremated, end of story.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #13
TomAwesome
I LIKE JUICE!!!

I believe that I don't know what happens! I personally find it difficult to believe without a doubt in either side without some kind of evidence. I'd like to think there's more to my existence than being an animated blob of carbon and water, but I'm not going to believe in something just because I want it to be true. I generally try to just live a good life as a good person without worrying too much about it. I'll find out when I get there.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #14
Drew
Fear the Polo!

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I don't feel I've got a grasp on what happens to you when you live yet - as such, I haven't bothered too much about what happens when you die. Obviously it'd be nice if there was some sort of afterlife, but worring about what happens to you when you die while you're in the middle of figuring out how to live sort of seems like a misplaced focus to me.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Check out my debut album, Zero Mantra, on iTunes!
http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #15
ohio_eric
SS Contributor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You die and get a definitive answer on who's right about the afterlife.
ohio_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #16
Zepp88
Arktanian Diplomat

I have no idea, and I won't speculate.
Zepp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #17
playstopause
President / RHLC ©

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wow, THE question.

People can say whatever they think, humans been looking for that answer forever (and forever will).
Many people that have been clinically dead for a couple of minutes always talked about "seeing the light", "feeling relief, happiness, endless love...", etc.

I don't know. I think it's just your brain quickly "downloading", erasing everything as it is slowly turning off. That might be the feeling it gives while doing so. I don't think "seeing the light" really happens. Tough, i'd like some kind of event to happen...

I think that rooted deeeeeep down in our culture, we've always been brought to think there's an after life (ex.: the Bible / catholic religion, etc.) so there's a little left of that in our collective conscience. But these beliefs will slowly go away in the future.

I'd like to believe there is something after... It would be far more "romantic"...
But my rational side says it's just like falling asleep : bye-bye.

Become one of us or die, ....ers. / Rick

RIP Garcia3441
playstopause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #18
Zepp88
Arktanian Diplomat

The "seeing the light" and the warmth and happiness thing might be a quick DMT trip, since that stuff is in our brains.
Zepp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #19
Thomas
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desecrated View Post
You cease to exist. your body gets cremated, end of story.
I am not religious, and I still have issues accepting that.

I am personally hoping for some kind of spiritual enlightenment in a realm that transcends the material world as we know it.

Don't tell me what I can't do.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #20
Naren
OldschoolGhettostyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by forelander View Post
While true that it can't exactly be proven, people can certainly be dead for minutes and be revived. Someone I know has been clinically dead for a few minutes (not in an operation, after an electrical accident) but is currently doing just fine. I've never asked him if he 'saw' or 'remembered' anything but it's certainly interesting.
Well, there is a certain length of time before brain death. After that point, the person is dead and the person CANNOT come back because their brain cells have physically died and are no longer there. It's like formatting a computer drive and then expecting to get the data back. It's dead.

Before brain death, I don't consider the person dead, even if the heart has stopped and breathing has stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forelander View Post
I'd be especially curious to know if the 'visions' people report are just dreams that happen in the instant they're revived (I dunno if anyone's been knocked out or choked out but mates have said they swore they were asleep for hours as they had 'long' dreams but were only out a few seconds) or if they do have memory of something that can't have been a dream.
That's how dreams work. You can have a "dream"/"hallucination" that seems to last for hours or days, but really only lasted for 1-2 seconds. The truth is that ALL dreams are only a few seconds long, no matter how long they seem to last. The reason for this is that they are inside your mind. Trauma can cause hallucinations. You cannot guarantee that it couldn't have been a dream. If that were true, then someone who believed they saw Jesus when they "died" and someone who believed they saw Allah when they "died" and someone who saw "Buddha" when they died would all be right. I subscribe to "hallucination" in such a case.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #21
Vince
Vince is X!!!

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm hopeful that Yoda was right.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #22
ohio_eric
SS Contributor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I revise my answer to this.

ohio_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
Naren
OldschoolGhettostyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstopause View Post
I don't know. I think it's just your brain quickly "downloading", erasing everything as it is slowly turning off. That might be the feeling it gives while doing so. I don't think "seeing the light" really happens. Tough, i'd like some kind of event to happen...
That is how it works.

For me, when my blood sugar gets lower and lower, my body starts shutting off functions that it deems unnecessary. It first gets rid of smell and taste. Then weakens perception and reason. Then it erases parts of my memories. I've woken up not knowing where I am or even who I am. Then it weakens and gets rid of touch. Then it weakens and gets rid of hearing. Then next is sight. And lastly it shuts off the most essential: your heart, lungs, brain. The hallucinations I've had with really low blood sugars SEEM real. They seem deathly real. If I was a religious person, I could say that I went to hell for a few seconds/minutes, but it seemed to last an eternity. Last year, I wandered around in this delusion that I could control reality and had the ability to change the cosmos. At the time, it made perfect sense, but when I came to and realized what had happened, it was absolutely ridiculous. And I've had dreams influenced by low blood sugars that literally seemed to last for thousands and thousands of years and that I can remember as if they had happened to me in real life yesterday even though they were just dreams that happens 1-2 years ago. I could go into crazier things I've thought, like where I was on a train to the netherworld that was passing through nothingness. This was not reality. This was my weakening brain's state of distress and illogicality.

I think it is this kind of near-death state that gives the body these hallucinations of seeing light and being in a tunnel. I know the "tunnel" feeling. I saw no light, but I've been in the tunnel.

I'm not saying that there is definitely no afterlife. There may be and I absolutely hope there is. I doubt it. But what I am saying is that these "near-death experiences" are not proof or even suggestions to proove life after death.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #24
st2012
Texas CEO / RHLC

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I try to live life as fully as I can and try to do right by other people. If there is an after-life I'd like to think that I lived the right way. But if there's not an after-life then I dont think that would change much as far as how I live and treat others. Logic tells me that this life is all I have but I kinda hope I'm wrong.
st2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #25
Naren
OldschoolGhettostyle

^Same here. It would be awesome to find out there is an afterlife after I die, but I'm not counting on it. I try to live as a good person because I think it's what I should do. Some people say that "Well, if there's no God, then there is no right and wrong." But I disagree. I think there is right and wrong, regardless of whether there is a God or not. And I try to live the way I think is right.