homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Movies, Books, TV & Media
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Movies, Books, TV & Media Read or watch something new? Discuss it here.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Chris
metalguitarist.org

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Official What Are You Reading Thread:

For those of you that can read.

I just finished:

State of Fear by Michael Crichton. Loved it, total page-turner, never a slow moment, cool plot and tons of actual facts about global warming worked into the storyline. Highly recommended.

/ 5

Prior to that, I picked up:

Whiteout, by Ken Follett, an author I'd never heard of. To be honest, I was in the market for something to read since I'd finished up something the night before and read about 2 hours a night before I go to bed every night. Really good book, cool story, more nifty-science-facts mixed into it and an all around solid read.

/ 5 for this one as well.

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #2
Shannon
Lord Super Awesome

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
I recently checked out "Rock N Roll Gearhead" by Billy F Gibbons (ZZ Top). Cars and guitars = awesome.
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
Chris
metalguitarist.org

And since I'll start it tonight, I'll be reading:

Dean Koontz's Forever Odd, the sequel to Odd Thomas which was absolutely awesome.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
The Dark Wolf
Canis lupis obscurus

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm reading-

FICTION
'River of Blue Fire', by Tad Williams. Book 2 in his 'Otherland' series. A series of 4 books set in the near future where a huge, incredibly realistic Virtual Reality network is contructed, so that the creators, who somehow steal the minds of children to ... feed... the VR network's sentient AI Operating system, may live forever in a completely realistic simulated world. Awesome. Like a modern, epic, cyber Alice in Wonderland-meets-The Wizard of Oz-meets-TLotR.

I'm also reading 'The Young Caesar', by Rex Warner. And I'm reading book one of 'The Complete Calvin and Hobbes', by Bill Watterson- a Christmas present from my fiance. EVERY C&H strip, all collected into a beautiful hardbound collectors edition.

NON-FICTION
I'm also reading 'Economic Literacy: What Everyone Needs to Know About Money and Markets', by Jacob DeRooy; 'Out of Eden: An Odyssey of Ecological Invasion', by Alan Burdick (a book about how non-native species of plants and animals get brought into new areas, and wreak havoc on the local ecosystem there, typically through human accident or misplanning); and 'A+ Certification for Dummies', by Ron Gilster.

http://www.wolf.org
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
Vegetta
SS.org Regular

Here is a list of the better stuff i read last year:

China Mieville - Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council
Nice dystopia here excellent characters and great plot highly reccomended

Neal Stephenson The Baroque Cycle - Quicksilver, The Confusion, System of the World

Ouststanding historical fantasy very long but well worth the read.

this space for rent
Vegetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Chris
metalguitarist.org

If you're at all into new age thinkings/indian philosophy and hell, books about a guy on peyote absorbing native american culture written by a gentleman that can write like a ............:

Read Carlos Castenada's Don Juan Series

They're abso-....ing-lutely astounding.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
Chris
metalguitarist.org

And of course, I have to mention my alltime favorite series:

The Dark Tower Kicks Absolute Ass.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
Drew
Fear the Polo!

I'm in the middle of re-reading Fyodor Dostoeyvsky's "Crime and Punishment." It's a seriously mentally disturbing book, I read it right after "Notes from Underground" while in college, and by the time I was finished with this one I found myself becoming indrawn and distrustful and not really talking to people. It completely draws you into its world. And, Svidrigalov is probably the greatest tragic villian in the entire world literary canon.

Prior to that, Vonnegut's "A Man Without a Nation," a short nonfiction work (i hesitate to call it a collection of essays, but I don't know what else fits) I got for christmas. Fascinating read.

Immediately before that, David Foster Wallace's new essay collection "Consider the Lobster," which was also excellent.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Check out my debut album, Zero Mantra, on iTunes!
http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #9
Drew
Fear the Polo!

Here I will also insert my stock exhortation for the readers on the board to read David Foster Wallace's "Infinite Jest" and Thomas Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow," and the non-readers to read Joseph Heller's "Catch-22."

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Check out my debut album, Zero Mantra, on iTunes!
http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
eaeolian
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hmm. Just started The Republican War on Science, and I just finished 1491, which was excellent. It certainly changed my view of the Americas before Columbus.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
Metal Ken
Hates the Air

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

....ED UP Book. Pretty enjoyable read. Read it all in like, 2 sittings total (its almost 300 pages).

I've been meaning to read more of the Crowley books i've recently acquired as well...
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
Roland777
SS.org Regular

The Karamazov Brothers, by Fjodor Dostojevskij.

Quite entertaining, eventhough Dostojevskij is reknowned for running in circles around his readers with ludicrous amounts of details.

I can highly recommend Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. I read the book in 5 days, the number of pages read in each day grew exponentially. Tremendously addictive book - pick it up, read it and PLEASE do comment on what you thought about it!
Roland777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #13
giannifive
Occasional Poster

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'm reading "Notes From a Small Island" now by Bill Bryson. As a travelogue about the UK it's a pretty entertaining read for an American.

Before that I read "A Devil's Chaplain" by Richard Dawkins. Great book for getting one thinking critically about science. With the exception of the chapters of book reviews and forewords it's also fun to read.

Admittedly I'm not a fan of fiction. The only fiction I seem to like is Vonnegut, but I think that's because it's more a vehicle for portraying his mental condition.
giannifive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:21 AM   #14
Regor
Double Edge FTW

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm reading...

This thread.

/me can't believe nobody said it yet.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:48 AM   #15
garcia3441
Tone Whore

I iz frum Arkansaw, an I ain't leanrt how to reed yet.

"Im sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth. "
John Lennon
garcia3441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:12 AM   #16
Naren
OldschoolGhettostyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland777
The Karamazov Brothers, by Fjodor Dostojevskij.
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (as it's called in England and the US) is one of my all-time favorite books ever. Dostoyevsky possibly may be my favorite author. The first time I read "The Brothers Karamazov", I read it in 2 weeks (like 200 pages in the first week and 800 in the second week).

Right now I'm reading Kyuuketsuki Hantaa D by Kikuchi Hideyuki. It's about vampires in the future. I haven't read a novel in English in about 8 months now (although I've read lots of Lovecraft short stories)... I finished reading "Nejimakidori Kuronikuru" by Murakami Haruki about 2 months ago. That was a bizarre and interesting book (actually 3 seperate books, but one novel. A total of over 1,100 pages).
Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #17
giannifive
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren
I finished reading "Nejimakidori Kuronikuru" by Murakami Haruki about 2 months ago.
I'm not sure which one that is. Do you know the English title? I loved "Hard-Boiled Wonderland". That book is so odd you have to read it twice!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #18
Shawn
Ibanez Guitars

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
I recently checked out "Rock N Roll Gearhead" by Billy F Gibbons (ZZ Top). Cars and guitars = awesome.
Shannon, I finally checked this book out too recently -very cool book. ZZ Top=

My Guitar Videos My Band/Project

Guitars~

1991 Ibanez UV7PWH (Dead Mint),
1991 Ibanez UV7BK (Mint),
1998 (F97) Ibanez RG7620BK (refinished in Arctic White),
1999 Ibanez S7420FMTT (silver dot),
2013 Ibanez RG8WH,
1999 Fender Made in Mexico Strat (white, maple fretboard)
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #19
mazafaka
Relentless Bastard

I am currently reading "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris, which is a very worthwhile read. It will certainly not be to everyone's taste, though, as it delves into the problems with all forms of religion and all beliefs that are not based on evidence. Also, I think I have a pretty extensive vocabulary, but I have to look up words in this book on a pretty regular basis.

So while it's not an "easy" read, it's definitely worth your time, especially if you have an opposing viewpoint.

Amazon page for the book
mazafaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #20
nitelightboy
I poop in shoes.

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm reading CLive Barker's The Books Of Blood for like the 50th time. Some of the best horror short stories I've ever read!!
nitelightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #21
Naren
OldschoolGhettostyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannifive
I'm not sure which one that is. Do you know the English title? I loved "Hard-Boiled Wonderland". That book is so odd you have to read it twice!
Well, it translates to something like "The screw-winding bird chronicle." I don't think there'd be a good English name for it, because it refers to this mysterious bird in the story that the main character never sees, but its song/chirping sounds like it's winding the screws of the world (to make the world work properly), so he nicknamed the bird "neji-maki-dori" (neji = screw, maki = winding, tori = bird).

And yeah, I read "Sekai No Owari To Haado Boirudo Wandaarando" ("The End Of The World And A Hard-Boiled Wonderland"). That was a good one.

I'm not sure whether I like "Nejimakidori kuronikuru" or "hard-boiled wonderland" better. They are bother very good books. Although both are bizarre. And I was a little disappointed by the ending of "nejimakidori kuronikuru"... Now to mention it, I was a little disappointed by the end of "sekai no owari to haado boirudo wandaarando" too.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #22
giannifive
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren
Well, it translates to something like "The screw-winding bird chronicle."
It's called "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" on my copy. I just got it for a gift and I can't wait to read it. People claim it's his masterpiece.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #23
Naren
OldschoolGhettostyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannifive
It's called "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" on my copy. I just got it for a gift and I can't wait to read it. People claim it's his masterpiece.
That's a very inappropriate title. Sounds like a bird-shaped machine that is getting wound up. The bird is supposed to be a "real bird" that winds the screws of the world. I know "Nejimakidori kuronikuru" is kind of a hard title to translate, but "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" is just plain wrong.

I've also heard that it's his "masterpiece." It was good, but not a masterpiece by far. It seems like Murakami himself doesn't know where he's going with the story at many times. There was one time, near the end of the first book, where the main character goes off into this long story about when this old guy went to Mongolia during World War II and I was thinking "what the hell does this have to do with anything?" He manages to tie everything together, but a lot of it seemed forced to me. Like he thought up an idea to tie it together AFTER writing something. Also, he'd have an interesting thing going on, then the chapter ends and the next two chapters are long 40-60 pages of completely unrelated stuff. And at the end of the book, he leaves you wondering what the hell he meant by a lot of the stuff in the novel. I doubt he knows half of the unanswered questions himself. Like, why... I shouldn't go into it since you haven't read it. I hope it's a good translation because a bad translation can ruin a great book. One reason why I never read Japanese novels in English. I have read good translations and bad translations before. I read "Kitchen" by Yoshimoto Banana 2 years ago and someone asked me to compare it to the English translation and it made me so glad I DIDN'T read the English and had read the original Japanese instead.

Back to the subject at hand, I liked the book, but I wouldn't call it his "masterpiece" by far. A friend of mine who is a Murakami Haruki fan said that "Sputnik no koibito" is his best work. But that might just be his opinion.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #24
thepunisher
just another hairy viking

the brothers karamazov

definaty a good read so far, of course im only 300 pages into it out of over 700

it's true there were better ones that led their people
it's true there were better ones to lead their country
it's true there were better ones who cared for this world
but who are we to change
-unearth
thepunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #25
teelguitars
Sean

American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
teelguitars is offline   Reply With Quote