homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
ohio_eric
SS Contributor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tiger escapes at San Francisco zoo, kills visitor

Escaped tiger kills visitor at S.F. zoo - Life - MSNBC.com

Quote:
Investigators trying to determine how a tiger escaped its enclosure at the San Francisco Zoo killing one visitor and mauling two others on Christmas planned a thorough sweep of the zoo grounds Wednesday to look for clues.

Authorities did not believe more people were attacked, but they wanted to inspect the area in the daylight. Zoo officials were still uncertain how long the Siberian tiger, the same one that mauled a zookeeper almost one year earlier, had been loose before being killed by police.

The three men who were attacked while visiting the zoo Tuesday were in their 20s, police spokesman Steve Mannina said. The attack occurred just after the 5 p.m. closing time, on the east end of the 125-acre grounds.

ohio_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Jongpil Yun
SS Contributor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
<_<

The police killed it? We need more nonlethal weapons for police for a lot of reasons.

Whether it's laughable or irrational, this is the path that ALL great men walk!
If there's a wall in our way, we'll destroy it!
If there's no road, we'll pave it with our own hands!
The magma in our hearts is blazing like flames!
Who the hell do you think we are?
Jongpil Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Apophis
Banned

it sucks
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
Jason
Sign Your Neg Rep Posts!

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongpil Yun View Post
<_<

The police killed it? We need more nonlethal weapons for police for a lot of reasons.
I agree BUT in this case the ....ing tiger had mauled a zookeeper a year earlier.. That cat was ....ed up IMO.

"I wish TV had a knob so you could turn up the intelligence. The one marked Brightness doesn't work."

Gallagher
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
Apophis
Banned

Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Jongpil Yun
SS Contributor

In that case you're probably right.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
7StringofAblicK
SS Contributor

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Wow

I mean how awful would it be to die at the hand of ....ing siberian tiger?

.... that

Ramen!
7StringofAblicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #8
Nick
Stop the Madness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I agree BUT in this case the ....ing tiger had mauled a zookeeper a year earlier.. That cat was ....ed up IMO.
i dont agree with this at all.

Its a Siberian tiger not a house cat. Its pretty much got 4 things on its mind hunt, kill, eat, reproduce.

This animal should 100% not have been killed. If people want to keep killing machines as tourist attractions they need to not expect them to stop being killing machines because thats what they do.

The animal should have been tranquilised and kept in a more secure enclosure.

I feel bad for the person that got killed but this was a revenge killing against something which was only doing what it was born to do.

This was the zoos fault for having poor security measures.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
Psychoface
SS.org Addict

that would suck ass.....
Psychoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
Apex1rg7x
Agent of Chaos

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Its a Siberian tiger not a house cat. Its pretty much got 4 things on its mind hunt, kill, eat, reproduce.

This animal should 100% not have been killed. If people want to keep killing machines as tourist attractions they need to not expect them to stop being killing machines because thats what they do.

I feel bad for the person that got killed but this was a revenge killing against something which was only doing what it was born to do.

Its not that tigers fault at all. Its what they're born to do. Hunt, kill and eat. Its that simple.
Apex1rg7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
Kotex
Trippin' balls

The tiger got through a 15ft mote and climbed a 20ft wall (as said on the news).

I've been to that Zoo before, but I can't remember what the outside tiger exhibit looks like. I only remember the in closed one, which is a cage.

Too much blood in my alcohol system
Kotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #12
7StringofAblicK
SS Contributor

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I guess the only argument against this (which I'm not saying I disagree with you) would be if the Tiger was sick - maybe it had a mental malfunction or disease that made it react in the manner it did.

I'm not siberian tiger savvy, so I assume that it was plenty healthy and only reacted out of natural instinct. With that said, it shouldn't have been killed - but then again we could argue the cops were only reacting out of his or her natural instincts (not that it makes it right...)

Ramen!
7StringofAblicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #13
Jongpil Yun
SS Contributor

You guys are forgetting "sleep". But I digress. Tigers as far as I know shouldn't usually attack humans.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #14
T_money419
Badass mofo

Sucks how they killed it. Siberian Tigers are one of the most beautiful animals on the planet. The one time they don't use a taser

Magnum Opus
Datura
Salvia
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
T_money419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #15
Pirelli
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_money419 View Post
Sucks how they killed it. Siberian Tigers are one of the most beautiful animals on the planet. The one time they don't use a taser
Do you want to get close enough to use a tazer? I sure as hell wouldn't.

You'd think in a zoo they'd have a tranquilizer gun on hand. There's no way it should have been shot unless it was running at a person that particular second.
Pirelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #16
Nick
Stop the Madness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongpil Yun View Post
You guys are forgetting "sleep". But I digress. Tigers as far as I know shouldn't usually attack humans.
True the only animal that feeds (or fed) on humans as its primary source of food was the nile crocodile and while they are still about humans tend not to go near them anymore.

However when it got out id imagine there was a fair amount of running and screaming etc which would have triggered fight or flight as the poor thing probably shat its self and id say that when your somewhat of a ninja of the animal kingdom its going to be fight not flight.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #17
drshock
Street-good guy

Ten dollars says someone blames this on atheism and heavy metal. Or video games.

Do you know my name?
Do you know my NUMBER?
drshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #18
The Dark Wolf
Canis lupis obscurus

1. Tigers kill people fairly regularly. Especially in India and the surrounding regions. This is true of most big cats, generally. While shy, they can and do kill people, even eating them sometimes.

2. While in theory this cat should have been tranquilized, in practice, those police officers had to act fast to save lives. They were perfectly justified and correct in killing the tiger, as awful as that may be. In reality, the zoo should have had their tranquilizer team quickly on site. They're the ones apparently at fault, but the police, they did what they had to do.

Awful tragedy, for both the people involved, and for the animal. As much as I respect and commend zoos for their work in animal conservation and public education, big cats are not really meant to be stuck in cages.

http://www.wolf.org
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 AM   #19
Nick
Stop the Madness!

yeah im not really blaming the police because lets face it if i had a gun and there was a tiger on the rampage zoology graduate or not id be shooting at it if i thought it was coming at me or others.

The blame here lies completley with the zoo.

i dont agree with zoos for any animal over the size of about 1 ft long because like you say they are not supposed to be in cages. unfortunatley they are the lesser of 2 evils. Cage them in zoos or let fools kill them for their fur.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #20
El Caco
Djavli te ponesli

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf View Post
1. Tigers kill people fairly regularly. Especially in India and the surrounding regions. This is true of most big cats, generally. While shy, they can and do kill people, even eating them sometimes.

2. While in theory this cat should have been tranquilized, in practice, those police officers had to act fast to save lives. They were perfectly justified and correct in killing the tiger, as awful as that may be. In reality, the zoo should have had their tranquilizer team quickly on site. They're the ones apparently at fault, but the police, they did what they had to do.

Awful tragedy, for both the people involved, and for the animal. As much as I respect and commend zoos for their work in animal conservation and public education, big cats are not really meant to be stuck in cages.
All the reports I have seen described it as a wild animal, it's a shame it had to die because it did not do anything wrong. The officers main concern here was to save human lives, I feel they acted appropriately but it is a shame there was no alternative.

I hope the findings from the inquiry are published, I would really like to know how it got out of it's enclosure, the discussion I have seen has indicated that it could have only got out if someone deliberately released it or if someone had been tormenting it.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
El Caco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:25 PM   #21
Vegetta
SS.org Regular

The cops didnt want ot shot it but it was parked on top of a guy it mauled and they needed to get to that person to give him medical attention.

When they tried to divert the cat it attacked an officer so they were forced to shoot it.

It sucks and its too bad they didnt have any kind of tranquilizer rifle but irc animals that are seriously amped up are hard to drug (you basically have a high chance of killing it with the drugs or the drugs take way to long to work).

Cats can be mean critters - .... my lil kitty gets pissy and tears into me sometimes - I can only imagine what a 300 pound wild cat would be capable of.

this space for rent
Vegetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:35 PM   #22
shadowgenesis
Yarrrrrr

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetta View Post
Cats can be mean critters - .... my lil kitty gets pissy and tears into me sometimes - I can only imagine what a 300 pound wild cat would be capable of.
i think the average male tiger weighs about 500 lbs.

"I have a koala bear infestation in my apartment. It's the cutest infestation ever. Way better than cockroaches..."
shadowgenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #23
Jason
Sign Your Neg Rep Posts!

660 lbs according to wiki

"I wish TV had a knob so you could turn up the intelligence. The one marked Brightness doesn't work."

Gallagher
Old 12-27-2007, 09:38 PM   #24
Jason
Sign Your Neg Rep Posts!

Quote:
Male siberian tigers usually weigh about 300 kg (660 lbs)[2]. Weights up to 318 kg (700 lbs) have been recorded and exceptionally large males of up to 384 kg (847 lbs) are mentioned in the literature but, according to Mazak, none of these cases were confirmed via reliable sources.[2] Females are normally smaller than males and weigh 100-167 kg (220-368 lbs),[3] probably up to 180 kg (397 lbs).[4] The "Siberian Tiger Project", which has operated from Sikhote-Alin Zapovednik since 1992, found that 215 kg (474 lbs) seemed to be the largest that they were able to verify, albeit from a limited number of specimens.[5] Dale Miquelle, program director of the Siberian Tiger Project, writes that, despite repeated claims in the popular literature that the Siberian is the largest of all tigers, their measurements on more than fifty captured individuals suggest that body size is, in fact, similar to that of Bengal tigers.[6]

Gallagher
Old 12-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #25
playstopause
President / RHLC

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf View Post
big cats are not really meant to be stuck in cages.
+1.

Become one of us or die, ....ers. / Rick

RIP Garcia3441
playstopause is offline   Reply With Quote