homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Old 05-12-2004, 03:10 PM   #1
Papa_Shank
ss.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the name says it all really

Papa_Shank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:56 PM   #2
Hyper-Rob
ss.org Regular

I'd have to say I'm not a fan. I think they sound like ass. They play great though. Just not chunky enough for me.. I like my Schecter 7's. can't wait to try that black jack 26.5" scale monster.
Hyper-Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 03:14 AM   #3
Chris
metalguitarist.org

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I love the Schecter 7 as well.

I liked the only two 777's I've played though, and if I had the cash/opportunity, I'd definitely pick one up. I love the UV trem vs. the lower end one on my 7620.

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:35 PM   #4
Jerich
...is bitching

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ibanez U=useless

I really never liked the sound of the Universe 7 string Ibanez guitars. I worked at the Ibanez factory back in 96 and seen a few come through they just never sounded like wood more like plastic...does korea have trees???..I have a Two BC Rich beasts 7 strings that were set up for me in (Low A*D*G*C*F*A*D high) tuning from the factory by Bernie rico Jr . they are 26 1/2 fret guitars.And still to this day they are both three years old and one is the 88th ever made 7 string Handmade USA BC Rich. I just cannot play those bolt on neck guitars really do not see how you guys worship these Ibanez and schecters...If i was to tour all over again I might take em' to suck up the abuse but to record and build a working relationship with heheheh!!(thats gay) still give me my BC Rich and Carvins any day..and my RON LUCCA 7 string atchtop Jazz guitars with Kent armstrong pickups...
Jerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 02:07 PM   #5
Metal Ken
Hates the Air

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich
I just cannot play those bolt on neck guitars really do not see how you guys worship these Ibanez and schecters
I dont feel much of a difference. i prefer bolt on neck(I have a ESP w/ Neck thru), and Universes and high end RG's are made in japan,not Korea.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:03 AM   #6
Given To Fly
SS Contributor

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I would have to say that the UV777BK is one of the best 7 strings on the market. The EBMM JPM7 and the Universe are about the same quality and are pretty much the only high end mass produced 7 strings on the market. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who would be looking to buy.
Given To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:05 AM   #7
Goliath
SS Contributor

Ive always liked the UV777BK, imo it's the best looking universe.

Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:22 AM   #8
Chris
metalguitarist.org

Agree, beautiful guitar. I haven't played one (though I'd love to) so I can't really comment on it's playability, but that thing is simply ....in' sexy.

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:43 AM   #9
bobthemerciful
ss.org Regular

My friend has had one for about a year now. I can honestly say (and I have played a few guitars ) that it is one of the best guitars I have ever played IMO. If I had to rate it out of 10, it would get 9 (but only cos it's not mine ). I would definitely buy one, were I able to find the cash. Peace.
bobthemerciful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 12:02 PM   #10
Metal Ken
Hates the Air

amazing how these old topics keep ocming up.

If anyone knows anything about me now, they know my opinion on the universe
Old 12-23-2004, 01:52 PM   #11
Christopher
Total Rondo Addict!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Given To Fly
I would have to say that the UV777BK is one of the best 7 strings on the market. The EBMM JPM7 and the Universe are about the same quality and are pretty much the only high end mass produced 7 strings on the market. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who would be looking to buy.
I'd have to agree here. I like the UV quite a bit (I also love Carvin stuff) but the piezo option was what drew me into the Petrucci 7. Now that I have it, I can honestly say that I haven't played a better guitar (for me and my tastes) and the quality is kick ass.

I wish Ibanez hadn't pulled the seven strings w/ piezo. Maybe we'll get lucky and Head or Munkey will decide they need acoustic sound for something.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 02:00 PM   #12
Drew
Fear the Polo!

Not likely.

RG-2027x's still turn up every once in a while- if you like the sound of mahogany, then you're not likely to find a better guitar anywhere. That neck was AMAZING on that thing.

-D

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Check out my debut album, Zero Mantra, on iTunes!
http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 06:11 PM   #13
Digital Black
Divinitus Infallibilis
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Not likely.

RG-2027x's still turn up every once in a while- if you like the sound of mahogany, then you're not likely to find a better guitar anywhere. That neck was AMAZING on that thing.

-D
I'd give my left eye to find a used one for a resonable price. The RG2027x is my holy Grail of 7's. Though I know I will own a Universe someday also..

Born of Fire//--\\ Consumed by it
Divinitus Infallibilis

Digital Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 06:29 PM   #14
Dylan7620
that guy

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I love the UV trem vs. the lower end one on my 7620.
what? they're the same thing
Dylan7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:24 AM   #15
Metal Ken
Hates the Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth000
I'd give my left eye to find a used one for a resonable price. The RG2027x is my holy Grail of 7's. Though I know I will own a Universe someday also..
I happen to favor the 1077xl. Thats the only 7 string i could think of thats better designed. If the Universe had a 27" scale, i'd swear up and down that it is the best guitar ever designed by mankind in every aspect. But i say that about the universe anyway lol
Old 12-24-2004, 03:26 AM   #16
jakeskylyr
ss.org Regular

Jake's (un)Biased opinion of the UV777BK

Being the uber-proud owner of a UV777BK since 1999, I can honestly say that _mine_ is one of the best guitars I've ever played. Working at a music store, having visited many others, and having played a lot of guitars, I must say just about everything else leaves me uninspired, when I compare it to "My Baby". I will also admit that I have played a few UV777s that were not quite up to snuff. There are shining stars and lemons in every bunch, and I guess I came out lucky with mine. (Honestly, good maintenance and setup, will definitely take any guitar to the next level. Not always mind you, but it can totally breathe some life into an instrument that you would not expect it from. One aspect to consider of course. )

Also, the most important aspect is how the instrument connects to the player. For me, (again) _my_ Universe was like a limb I was missing. Granted I had been yearning to cross into 7 string territory for years before, and was desperately in need of it musically just before buying it, but I figured it would be another guitar in my collection. Not the guitar to make me stop playing all of my other ones. Once I got it, it felt so great, so natural, and did so much, that even still, my other guitars go practically untouched. I guess this role could have been as easily filled with a kickass 7620, which is what I was actually planning to buy, so I guess the fact that it's the Universe is not really what did it for me, but that it was a sweet-ass Ibanez 7 string that just happened to be a UV777, in the right place, the right time, and at the right price are the factors that sold me on it. The fact that it was a Universe definitely didn't hurt anything. Plus it is kinda cool having a guitar that emits a bit of flash, in just the right tasteful dose, just by opening the case ;^)

So maybe I'm biased, but I must say that my Universe kicks ass, and I couldn't imagine owning a different main guitar. My 2 cents... =^D
jakeskylyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:51 AM   #17
Digital Black
Divinitus Infallibilis
Site Contributor

If I read right, over in the Temperary Forum at jemsite; there was a rumor that the 2027 might be released again....

Divinitus Infallibilis

Old 12-24-2004, 04:09 PM   #18
Vince
Vince is X!!!

Jake, so, you don't play the bright blue Ibanez RG anymore?

Did you ever get the chrome pickguard you wanted for that thing?
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 04:14 PM   #19
darren
Decibel Guitars

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth000
If I read right, over in the Temperary Forum at jemsite; there was a rumor that the 2027 might be released again....
I don't think you read that right. Somebody was merely saying it would be nice if Ibanez released a 7-string version of the RGT2020, then somebody else mistakenly identified that as a 2027.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 05:16 PM   #20
Dylan7620
that guy

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
RGT2027
Dylan7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 06:04 PM   #21
Digital Black
Divinitus Infallibilis
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren
I don't think you read that right. Somebody was merely saying it would be nice if Ibanez released a 7-string version of the RGT2020, then somebody else mistakenly identified that as a 2027.
Yeah I regress..

Divinitus Infallibilis

Old 12-24-2004, 08:41 PM   #22
jakeskylyr
ss.org Regular

I still have it, but ever since I got it autographed by DT, I was afraid to play it as much, as the multiple lacquer jobs never really sat right on it. The last one was not bad, and I did still play it on occasion. But mostly, it sat as a display piece on my mantle. I still would like to get a new body for it and rebuild it back to beater condition. I will someday I'm sure. If for no other reason than it's a lo-pro edge trem NOT being used....just a shame.

Currently, the pickguard is still the old original battered one, in a primer gray color....that poor thing has more paint than plastic at this stage I'd bet. I direct mounted the pickups, those Ibanez Infinitys, which weren't too horrific if you remember.

I'd still like to get it, or at least bits of it, to be made into the axe I wanted that to be....a laser blue ibanez with lots of chrome hardware and a mirrored pickguard. The dream is still alive, even if the ambition is cruising in neutral =^D
jakeskylyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 02:52 AM   #23
Zak plays a UV777gr
UV777... badass

SO ITS THE BEST ....IN SEVEN SRTING IVE EVER PLAYED!!!!!!
and owned on that not
and they are sexy to look at

Ibanez Universe777 ,Washburn N4 Relic, Jackson RR-performer custom, Charvel custom,Washburn N2 Carvin Legacy halfstack, ADA MP-1, A/B poweramps
Crate/Marshall cabs, Audio-Technica wireless
Boss Flanger, Boss Tuner, Boss ds-1, Boss eq
MXR wylde overdrive, MXR super comp, Boss DD-3 delay, Morley bad horsie,Dunlop crybaby
*badass setup, yeah?*
Zak plays a UV777gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:06 AM   #24
Vacant
Seven Strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak plays a UV777gr
SO ITS THE BEST ....IN SEVEN SRTING IVE EVER PLAYED!!!!!!
and owned on that not
and they are sexy to look at
ALL y0uR B453 $R BELUNG TO MAH VETTTTA 11IIII H3AD ?!!??!??!?!?

:p , Welcome to the forum.

Edit: directed towards your sig. [I'm lame ]

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
Olde time is still a-flying
And the same flower that smiles today
Tommorow will be dying...
Vacant is offline   Reply With Quote