homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:44 AM   #1
Josh
Dirty Lurker

I'm always going through phases with guitar. I'll get into it like crazy and practice my ass off for a few weeks, and then stop playing so much and lose interest for a while. Sometimes I just get into other stuff, and sometimes I hit a wall and can't seem to get better...so I get frustrated and say .... it.

Well this week since I got the 3120 I've been serious again. I've made some changes to my practice routine too, which may or may not be helping. Firstly...I'm playing standing up instead of sitting down or reclining in my office chair. This way the guitar is always in the same position relative to my body/arms....so I can have some consistency. I always used to just play in whatever position was comfy at the moment...usually sitting down.

I've also begun to force myself to practice patterns and exercises that I'm not used to. I have a horrible habbit of getting locked into always playing the same thing when I practice...and that's not good for productivity. So now that I've started to get my hands used to doing things they couldn't really do before...I'm finding that I have more creativity now too. So I'll practice chromatic exercises, then go over some various riff's that are too fast for me to play right now. Then I'll do some scales, then some chords...then some random improv stuff to see if I come up with anything good. Then it's up a notch on the metronome and doing it all over again.

Normally I'd top out at 112 or 116 bpm on the chromatic exercise that I do, before I'd start to get too sloppy to consider it worthwhile practice. Last night I did three runs at 120, and half a run at 126 before I got sloppy at all. So, i'm finally making progress again. My goal is 140 bpm on the chromatic exercise. Once I can keep my hands together at that speed, I'll be able to start working on numerous other things that I can't even consider trying right now.

That's all i guess....sorry for the short novel. I guess my point is...try new stuff (even though you'll feel like a total n00b at first) and stick with it until you get better at it. Doing this helps you get better at that new thing, but also helps you in other areas at the same time. I think the consistency aspect is helping too...so that might be worth considering if you're like I was, and always playing sitting or laying down or whatever.
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2004, 12:36 PM   #2
Chris
metalguitarist.org

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Good to hear bro.

Which exercise? 1234 up the neck?

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
Josh
Dirty Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Good to hear bro.

Which exercise? 1234 up the neck?
Kinda...you know that exercise, how you finger it 1234 6-1-6, then you change the fingering to 2341 and go 6-1-6...and keep changing the fingering pattern every two frets? I change the fingering pattern on every string change so the fingering is always 1234 2341 3412 4123

It's fun and helps me not just get good at one movement.

Anyway, I'm consistently able to do it at 120 now...so hopefully in a few weeks I'll be closer to my goal.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:07 PM   #4
Chris
metalguitarist.org

Right on man. I usually noodle that when I'm watching TV and ...., like playing air guitar to commercial theme songs, but just running the one pattern. Benwa used to do that for 2-3 hours a day with nothing but a metronome click. I last about 10 minutes then become ADD-guy and end up shredding.

Try it skipping strings, like E / D / A / G / D / E, so you skip the middle string and work your way up. Eventually it'll work it's way into soloing, and you'll end up with a few happy accidents.

Old 05-07-2004, 12:20 PM   #5
Decapitated

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Little off the subject, but I got to jam with my old roommate who is a drummer over the weekend. Finally got my 5150 tuned to the sound I want and it was crushing!! Had the best jam session we have ever had. I could do no wrong in my playing and that is the best feeling in the world! My friend has a neighbor who is like 18 or something and he drums as well....very well. It is amazing how much better I play with a drummer who has skill (my roommate plays drums but is not a drummer...get my drift) Not that my friend is a bad drummer, just that playing with a drummer who has good timing is awesome. I also find that I am getting more into playing standing up as I picked up some lazy habits while sitting, plus I was not as tired as I usually am after a long jam session. Really a shot in the arm for my playing plus I got to work on my limited chops.........
Decapitated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:21 PM   #6
Josh
Dirty Lurker

Sweet!
Old 07-10-2004, 06:24 PM   #7
Vince
Vince is X!!!

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The only problem I have with chromatics is if I practice them too much, I wind up using them in my improv playing and it totally sounds terrible in most situations Then I have to break myself of using the chromatics again
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 07:31 AM   #8
Jerich
...is bitching

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
in a rut...

try jamming like you said with an old pay or someone of a different style music and try in mold yourself into what they are doing I have found it makes me play more afluent then before..I play in a Jazz trio as a paying job at times.. I play a Ron Lucca 7 string jazz guitar with a Kent armstrong Pickup and play through a Clarius power amp into a Raezor speaker cab..pure jazz tone no effects..and when i mix Legato,sweeps,strings skipps in a celan no hiding behind jazz approach I find things totally different when i go back to tha distortion.. My Jazz trio Drummer plays very limited drums but does alot od different patterns my metal style drummer would NEVER think of He's obssessed with the DDbass....buy a drum dvd or cd or tape with Jazz drumming patterns it will really open up a whole new world of guitar...I was thinking of putting a few of my jazz tabs here for you guys now the thinking is over i will..catch you all later...How do we get off this newbe stat??? and get some ranking going on....
Jerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:24 AM   #9
Chris
metalguitarist.org

You can edit your member title in the control panel, if that's what you mean.