homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Interviews, Reviews & Tech Articles > The Sevenstring.org Workbench
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

The Sevenstring.org Workbench How-To's, Lessons, Tech Articles, etc. to keep your gear and your playing in top shape. Contribute and submit your own!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Ancestor
SS Contributor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrow [Tech] Pick Scoring

Keeping a good grip on your pick can needlessly consume a lot of extra energy. In this lesson I propose to show you how to create a non-slip surface on the pick without the use of adhesives. This is particularly useful if your favorite pick is made of a smooth, slick plastic like mine. I use Dunlop Delrin 2.0 picks.

They are great for their attack and minimizing friction between the pick and string, but they tend to slip around, especially when a little perspiration is introduced into the equation.

Before attempting this process, it should be noted that the possibility of serious injury exists. In other words, if youíre not careful, itís possible to cut off your finger. But, as long as you pay attention to what youíre doing, all should go well. Iíve been doing this for over 5 years without so much as a scratch. I got the idea from my drummer, who had seen a Sepultura pick with this type of modification.

You will need a carpeted area and a small, lock blade knife.

Donít use a Bowie knife, or any type of cutlery from the kitchen. Donít bother with an Exacto/box knife. They are too hard to control, have a dangerous tendency to slip and donít work as well anyway. Too dangerous. And if you use a folding knife that doesnít lock, you will most certainly injure yourself eventually. So DONíT. You must use a small, decent quality lock blade.

It should be obvious that like driving and shooting firearms, you cannot be drunk or hung over while performing this modification. If it isnít obvious, Iíll tell you again. Booze, knives and string instrumentalists donít mix. Donít believe me? Ask Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg.

Wash and dry hands thoroughly. No sweat, dirt, oil or other substances that make the hands slippery allowed.

Hold the knife in your dominant hand and the pick in the other hand. The point of the pick should be turned in towards your palm. Angle the pick upwards as shown.

Place the lower edge of the pick on the floor. Place the point of the knife BELOW the grip facilitated by the thumb in the lower hemisphere of the pick. No part of your fingers or hands should be between the blade and the floor.

Push in towards the pick slightly with the knife to be sure the pick isnít sliding in either direction, and then in a little more and down once you are sure of stability. You donít have to use a lot of pressure. Easy does it. Also the movement of the knife should be very slight. Probably between one quarter and one eighth of an inch.

Rotate the pick in both directions to produce 5 scores on the top hemisphere of the face of the pick. Repeat on the opposite side of the pick.

So far, so good. Now place the pick on the carpet alone, without holding it in place with the non-dominant hand. Place the point of the lock blade into the center of the pick and GENTLY push and twist, once you are sure of stability.

Why gently? Because you donít want to slip and cut your finger off. Really, this technique is absolutely not worth injuring yourself over. You MUST use the utmost care in performing it. Repeat the process on the other side. You should end up with a small, rough dimple on each side.

Your pick should look similar to this.

This modification will improve your playing significantly, but not dramatically. Youíll no longer have to grasp the pick so hard, and it will more easily retain the desired orientation to the string. The advantage of scoring over adhesion is that the pick can be quickly palmed or rotated for adjustment, tapping or finger picking.

Special thanks to Jennifer Page for taking the photos that illustrate the article.

Ancestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
nitelightboy
I poop in shoes.

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I just tried this on some of my red JazzIII's. Works great!!!

I am the mask you wear.
nitelightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:34 AM   #3
darren
Decibel Guitars

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I really don't have much of a problem holding onto my picks. Especially my new favourites, Ultex. I was a die-hard Delrin user for ages, but i'm really digging Ultex picks for feel and grip. It's like they have the smooth crisp tone of Delrin with the grip of Tortex, without that "gritty" pick scrape sound.

And i even really liked the *gasp* Ultex Jazz III. Though i think i'm going to stick with regular teardrop picks, as i think the Jazz III is still a bit too small for me. I have a problem with using small picks in that the back of my index fingernail tends to drag on the strings, and that nail is perpetually a problem for me (i smashed my finger a few years back, resulting in some weird damage to the nail bed, so it grows in weak and tears easily, which sucks, because i preferred to pick with my fingers and nails ŗ la Jeff Beck... now i can't.)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
JJ Rodriguez
SS Contributor

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I bought a sheet of skateboard grip tape from a local skate shop, and I cut off little squares from that and stick it to both sides of my pick, works like a charm. I tried scoring my picks before but I like the grip tape more now that I've been using it for a little while.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Stitch
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Rodriguez View Post
I bought a sheet of skateboard grip tape from a local skate shop, and I cut off little squares from that and stick it to both sides of my pick, works like a charm. I tried scoring my picks before but I like the grip tape more now that I've been using it for a little while.
I do that, but I actually found both sides was too sticky and I couldnt adjust grip easily. I only do it to one side, but even then, I only do it to Jazz III's.
The rest of the time I use Ibanez Sandgrip Wizards (awesome) or Pickboy Reefer 1.14mm, and I never slip with either of those.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
poisonelvis
windowlicker

i'll have to try that,i have a piece of sandpaper,and i scuff both sides of the pick and it seems to work good(pick life for me 1 week).

I always wear a helmet,it protects my hair.
poisonelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Quicksilver689
Jesus freak

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
cool idea...nice brief picstory, thanks for sharing!

My picks - black Dunlop Jazz III's FTW!!!
Quicksilver689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
nitelightboy
I poop in shoes.

Is it me or do the black JazzIII's seem to have more grip? I love the black ones, but when ever I need picks, I usually need them right away and can only find the reds. And of course, I never order the black ones online in case I need them later

I am the mask you wear.
nitelightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:57 AM   #9
Oneiros
SS.org Regular

I would reccomend EVERLY STAR PICKS... try them works best for me
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
drouinphilippe
ss.org Regular

use george dennis picks 1.30, they freaking own, i bought like 20 ofem cuz the shop runs out of these so fast!
drouinphilippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
Universe74
SS.org Regular

Before going to Ultex I melted mine with heated paperclips.

Universe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:18 AM   #12
dougsteele
Doug Steele

There am no better pick, even the big jazz 3 am the .....
dougsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
DoctorM
ss.org Regular

Cool brand Juratex Jazz picks. I have absolutely no need to score these picks - they have what feels like skateboard tape on them already.

I went on a friggin goosechase for them after the first time I played them. Try them out.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #14
neoclassical
FENRISMAW

Location: Petty obsessions. If this is heaven, how bad is hell?
Cool picks Jazz = win. That grip tape is the shiznit, though I just switched to the Dunlop 3mm stubbies.

Adam

"But Lord, during the hardest trials of my life, why was there only one set of footprints?"
"Because," said the Lord, ďSandpeople always ride single-file to hide their numbers."

man wat u satalking about i am shono -shonoo
neoclassical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #15
Napalm
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Ultex Jazz III's are where its at the Jim Dunlop and Ultex lettering is raised for everyones pleasure....That paper clip idea seems like a damn good one also.
Napalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #16
Vairocarnal
...is something.

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Pork?

I remember reading in an interview that Dimebag would scratch a series of xs into his pick until it resembled a monochromatic plaid pattern.
I, however, use Dunlop Gatorgrips (2 mm or 3 mm) . They have an awesome texture that's barely noticeable.

One day, I'll live. Until then I am definitely dead.
Vairocarnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #17
gaunten
WUUUUAAAAAAAAH!!!

these kick ass!
http://www.suncreekmusic.com/images/pib-pb200r114.jpg
gaunten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #18
winterlover
Banned

i use the black dunlop nylons
they have enough bend for insane fast picking and enough attack...and a great gripping surface
winterlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #19
elbiatcho1
ss.org Regular

Instead of using a sharp knife, a safer way that I score picks is to use a long sharp nail or screw and wrap a good amount of gaff around the nail for grip.
elbiatcho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #20
mattofvengeance
Team Ibanez

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I use Tortex jazz picks, and I scar the hell out of them with a razor blade, similar to that of a pistol grip.
mattofvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #21
ShadyDavey
7ibrarian

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I used to use Jazz III's and run a soldering iron in a fan pattern over the grip - never dropped one

After that I moved to techpicks and had a couple of brass picks knocked out by a friend of mine. With those I used to drill a hole through the middle (about 5mm) and counter-sink that to provide something I could dig into but I got a little tired of the "schip-schip-schip" sound as the pick hit the string and went back to the Jazz III's.
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:46 AM   #22
russdogz_
SS.org Regular

tried melting dots with paperclips, works great

also decided to make some patterns like stars n shiiiit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1280005s.jpg (234.8 KB, 140 views)

;D
russdogz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #23
chaosxcomplex

I've used the black Jazz III's forever, and I've been scratching them with a knife for a while. Helps cause my hands sweat a lot...Gonna try the paper clip method...Looks promising.
chaosxcomplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #24
Cereal Drum
ss.org Regular

Hmm, I just use tortex .88's and I have no problem with grip or anything. I love em.

Fact: Coca-cola used to be green.
Cereal Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #25
Galius
Mentally Guitarded

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I use these and they work great
http://www.snarlingdogs.com/images/goodbrain.gif
Galius is offline   Reply With Quote