homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
BoredomKills
Thall.

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hardcore Dancing

I enjoy most types of metal ranging from Doom metal to thrash to generic deathcore and metalcore.

Now I enjoy traditional moshing but hate the fact that when I want to go to see one of my favorite Metalcore or Deathcore bands all you see is hardcore dancing pits, I just prefer traditional moshing (and no im not talking about ring around the rosie i.e. circle pits ) just traditional moshing, It's fun when done right and its just a more enjoyable experience than swinging your limbs and kicking at the air in my opinion..

Thoughts?

BoredomKills is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Polythoral
Hipster Mustaine

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Both sorts best leave me alone while I try to enjoy the damn show.

Beep.
Polythoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
thatguy87
DjentyGoodness

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Went to see Structures, Volumes, Vildhjarta, and Veil of Maya a couple months ago in Birmingham and EVERYONE was hardcore dancing. I know it's counter-productive but I just want to beat the .... out of them. I got hit in the jaw twice and it really made the show a little disappointing. THIS .... NEEDS TO END. GROW THE .... UP CHILDREN.

p.s. a bit of push and shove is fun, but when you seek to incur injuries, you should be tossed out.
thatguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
myampslouder
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Hardcore dancing is a trend I really wish would die. I'm all for a good pit but the hardcore dancing is just asking for a bad time. Every show I've been to recently has had a group if hardcore dancers there and they usually result in the injury of someone who isnt even in the pit they are just off to the side trying to enjoy the show.

Ive seen a few big fights break out because of a hardcore dancer unintentionally busting some poor girls nose or popping the wrong guy in the jaw because of not paying attention.

I just dont see how anyone can believe that swinging there arms and legs wildly as if fighting off an invisible ninja in a large crowd of people can end well.
myampslouder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
DANiMALxMD
SS.org Regular

Its for the kids. That is all. While i think it is retarded and trendy, i will respect peoples way of emoting to the song.

But there are some people that do it just to try and hurt people. Example, people doing it right by the edge of the pit. I was a victim of this. I know my place at a show, and i know that if youre on the edge, there will be lots of contact. But you can clearly tell the difference between people doing it "normally" and the others trying to hurt people.

These people are normally not even there for the show or music either. You could just have the drummer hit a china cymbal at any bpm, and that will be enough for them to "dance".

The older i get, the more and more i despise any type of movement. I would almost put stage diving ahead of hardcore dancing regarding annoying-ness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myampslouder View Post
I just dont see how anyone can believe that swinging there arms and legs wildly as if fighting off an invisible ninja in a large crowd of people can end well.
lol, true story.
DANiMALxMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
jwade
Doooooooooom

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
A couple years back, I went to a 'metalcore' show, and these kids were boosting each other up so they could try to run across people's heads/shoulders. One kid tried to step on my shoulder but basically kicked me in the side of the head, so I grabbed his leg and whipped him face first into the floor. The other idiots stopped pretty quickly after that when other people started following my lead.

nothing could've stopped the kids doing retard kung fu during breakdowns though. That was unbelievably stupid looking.
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
Don Vito
SS Contributor

There needs to be a closed off area for these idiots.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #8
Tones
Red paperclip trader

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
To be honest, it adds a nice vibe to the crowd if you ask me. Moshing and hardcore dancing can be shows in their own way (as long as you're not in the middle of it). Here, people not participating in moshing or hardcore dancing would just put their fist out toward the pit and extend it far so they wont get clobbered into a coma. I've never gotten hit once from hardcore dancers. I guess it depends where you go. There are some fags out there that intentionally inflict pain, and those assholes are singled out and gangbanged by the ones trying to enjoy the show.
I enjoy seeing hardcore dancing, and moshing although I don't ever participate. I know for a fact though when I'm on stage and I see a pit of hardcore dancers or mosh to my band performing, I feel so great about myself and the band, you just go wild. Just my 2 cents

Guitars:
Jackson SL2H Soloist Interference Fireglo

-Stock
BFR JPXI-7 Onyx with piezo
-
Stock
Ibanez Prestige RGD2120CSW
- Dimarzio Crunchlab bridge, and Liquifier neck
Ernie Ball Musicman JP6 w/piezo
-Stock

Rig:
Line 6 POD HD500 ---> Peavey ultra 120 + ---> Avatar 2x12 Celestion Vintage 30 loaded cab
Check out my band!
www.facebook.com/fromthedepthsnj
Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #9
Levi79
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
I am a hardcore listener. I probably listen to more hardcore bands than metal bands, so this means I go to hardcore shows. This is definitely the worst part of it. The worst part is when you try to start a proper push pit and everyone looks at you like you're a ....ing freak. I love the energy that a hardcore show has, I really do, but flailing your feet into my ....ing face shouldn't be a part of it.
Levi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #10
cronux
SS.org Regular

here's some fun - insert random youtube metal video and look at this gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp...3e7yo1_400.gif

also, this

http://www.hoodmetal.com/wp-content/...re_dancing.jpg

all in all i think it's really stupid, and the whole XXX thing with the "just have fun and don't hurt anybody. if someone falls down pick him up" tactic is questionable.

how the hell do you miss hitting someone if you violently squat imaginary flies in a imaginary circle with a 7 feet radius?

Here's my band check it out: http://www.facebook.com/badbloodcro
cronux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #11
highlordmugfug
themuthaphukkindeath

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
^

"lol didn't read"

Alternately:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFmxgbIVjBU
Pay close attention to the guy in the center of the gif.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:50 AM   #12
Cynic
Bored Stiff

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
don't go near the pit if you don't want to become involved. simple as that.
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #13
ittoa666
/)'3'(\

Whatever happened to the old hardcore style of just acting like a fool and having fun?

Also, hardcore dancing is pointless, and so is regular push moshing in a way. I just enjoy the music and feel it.

Ride the wings of death!

"Seriously... You DO NOT headbang with your knees" Murmel

ittoa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:05 AM   #14
Bloody_Inferno
Silence is Violence

I was at a deathcore show in US earlier this month to support a friend/excuse to go out. What has to be the funniest thing I saw at the pit; in the midst of all the hardcore dancing kids, was some dude sitting down doing rowboat moves while dragging himself all over the floor. Somebody recorded it but damn I'm kicking myself for not being able to get it.

As for circle pits, I don't mind them, particularly when I see them from the stage, where they look awesome.

And as for traditional moshing, when you're in a Slayer concert, nobody is safe, no matter where they are...
Bloody_Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #15
signalgrey
Ambiente Savante

i remember moshing as a kid at local hardcore punk shows, and it was really fun and good natured and basically just "shoving" and kinetic energy. This newer .... is ....ing retarded.

As far as I can tell, when the ....ing meatheaded frat boys started showing up with Hatebreed shirts and beating the .... out of everyone...it wasnt fun.

I appreciate when bands stop and say "....ing stop hurting people".

Fugazi, where are you when we need you.
signalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:14 AM   #16
Winspear
EtherealEntity

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This reminds me of when I went to see Veil of Maya. Structures and Volumes were supporting and that got pretty violent with hardcore kids of course.

The ridiculous part was, during the opening band (I forget who) there was only like 3 or 4 rows of people close to the front. Some douchebag still thought it was appropriate to try and stage dive. Needless to say it was an epic fail and one dude I was with pretty much tossed him to the floor. So he tried it again - directly towards me. I just stepped out of the way and he landed flat on his face. It was like the scene from School of Rock, haha.

I initially came into this thread to complain, and I know this is nothing to do with hardcore dancing. But actually, I'm glad this kid was so enthusiastic. It was ....ing hilarious. Twat. I have a feeling it was actually the same dude that crowdsurfed over us to fall backwards headfirst on the floor over the barrier later on in the show, lol.

Custom ergonomic guitar picks ~ Designed to optimize your technique and tone. Built to last.
http://www.winspearpicks.com
http://www.facebook.com/Winspearpicks
Winspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:24 AM   #17
TRENCHLORD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlordmugfug View Post
^

Pay close attention to the guy in the center of the gif.

Yea, that's some John Travolta Sa/turd/ay Night Fever .... there!!!
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:29 AM   #18
Tranquilliser
SS.org Regular

As a younger person (only 19) I only very recently used to think going crazy in a moshpit was what it's all about, but for the last few gigs I've been to, even festivals like Soundwave, I've found I had a much more enjoyable experience when I can sit or stand and just appreciate the music, which after all is the reason I went.

Hardcore dancing is really irritating, I don't really like having the .... beaten out of me when I want to watch my favourite artists up on stage.
I don't mind Circle pits, but things like Wall of Death and Hardcore Dancing should end, imo.
Tranquilliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #19
Joshua2209
ss.org Regular

To be honest, I push mosh and hardcore dance. I love hardcore dancing, it's kind of just how I feel out the music! But I do my best not to whack anyone because I know how much of a kill joy it is.

I know how stupid it is though haha. I just happen to find it fun
Joshua2209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:42 AM   #20
Don Vito
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedyblake View Post
There needs to be a closed off area for these idiots.

Patent pending.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #21
TRENCHLORD
Banned

Great idea, and when they all get in and the door slams, lock it, then haul the cage to a lady googoo concert.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #22
Ninjahat
SS.org Regular

I don't care, how is moshing different to hxc dancing? I see no difference, except the point of hardcore dancing isn't to contact with people, it just happens.

Sure it looks funny, but so does a bunch of grown men running into each other in a circle after being told to by cookie monster.
Ninjahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #23
Pedantic
(Djent pun)

The air had it coming.
Pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #24
Don Vito
SS Contributor

.... air.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:21 AM   #25
cronux
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRENCHLORD View Post
Great idea, and when they all get in and the door slams, lock it, then haul the cage to a lady googoo concert.
and then open it

Here's my band check it out: http://www.facebook.com/badbloodcro
cronux is offline   Reply With Quote