homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
Oddkid
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Essential pedals

I've got a gig coming up with a fairly successful local band, playing a really good venue and i need to sort out my live sound properly. Essentially at short notice i've been hired to fill the gap as they've been playing with only one guitarist for around 12 months. To introduce me as a new member they want me to play the entirety of a solo to a song they previously shared between two guitarists. This is where my problem has become apparent.

As it stands i run a Marshall JCM900 combo amp. Previously to get a volume boost, on cleans i used a compression pedal and to get a lead boost i ran a BOSS Metalcore pedal through the clean channel. This causes a lot of feedback. Running the metalcore on the distorted channel doesn't sound so good so i need to hit two pedals for solos as well.

Recently i've been advised that overdrive sounds better than distortion, i play heavy metal (at lamb of god sorts of heavy) and i would have thought overdrive wouldn't cut it for that. I've also been told about noise gates, boost pedals and EQ pedals.

I wondered what pedals you guys would say are essential for playing this sort of music live and getting an appropriate boost for solos. I don't necessarily need specific pedals though any that you consider particularly good would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Oddkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
AliceLG
\m/^_^\m/

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
An overdrive for boosting solos would usually be run thru your dirty channel, not the clean one. Given that you have a JCM, and those usually give a pretty good lead tone, any of the little green boxes should suffice. Additionally you should consider getting a delay, mainly to spice up your solos a bit. I would consider that the very basic. A noise gate is always useful, EQ depends on how versatile the amp already is.

Metal is the air I breathe

For poorly recorded melo/black/power/thrash metal click here

AliceLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
HeHasTheJazzHands
Tears Are My Bidet

An overdrive to tighten up the gain channel (In your case, to add a bit of gain and tighten things up since the JCM900 is relatively "low gain"), maybe an EQ in the loop to give you a volume boost and some tone shaping for lead stuff, and a noise gate to get rid of noise.
HeHasTheJazzHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
ConnorGilks
Still can't play.

Yes, most people who don't know much about pedals at the time hear overdrive and go "Why would any metal player want to use that? It's got such little amounts of gain in it..." but that's because an overdrive is meant to be used on an amp that's already on a distortion setting of some kind. It's to tighten up the bass and boost the mids, which will help you cut through for a solo, among other things.

Want to make a record? Make a video? Take guitar lessons? Check out:
www.connorgilks.com
GUIDE TO DJENT TONE
ConnorGilks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
OfArtAndArsenal
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This is what I did, and it seems to work well, in the limited times I got to do it. My board went compressor, overdrive, clean boost, noise gate, volume, then delay/reverb/etc
Turn the gain off and the level up on the overdrive, to push your amp harder. That and the compressor will work against the noise gate to let the notes ring out when needed, and cut them when you don't. When I went for the solo, step on the clean boost to give that extra volume to stand out. The only drawback is that with the overdrive on all the time, even with the gain off, it will make your cleans slightly less clean.
I finally got tired of tap dancing so I'm selling everything in favor of a pod HD.
OfArtAndArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Oddkid
SS.org Regular

I've got a line boost. My plan is to run everything through the clean channel. All rhythm can be done that way with the metalcore, i can turn that off and boost the clean with the compressor if i need to play any clean stuff (unlikely for the upcoming gig) the line boost will give me the boost for the solo. I need to keep looking with the noise gate. I tried two at the shop and they weren't that great. The MXR smartgate was recommended to me but it just doesn't cut off quick enough. The BOSS noise suppressor was all right but it didn't cancel out the feedback i was hoping for. I want to try the other MXR one at some point the noise clamp and see if thats any better.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
All_Ľour_Bass
RUM RAISIN!!

Tubescreamer, eq.

Not for government. Not for country. But for ourselves.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
CTID
Duh-Jent

I love my iSP Noise Decimator to pieces. imo it's leaps and bounds better than the Boss NS-2 but that might just be me.
CTID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #9
AliceLG
\m/^_^\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddkid View Post
I've got a line boost. My plan is to run everything through the clean channel. All rhythm can be done that way with the metalcore, i can turn that off and boost the clean with the compressor if i need to play any clean stuff (unlikely for the upcoming gig) the line boost will give me the boost for the solo.
Quick question, if it is unlikely for your upcoming gig to use clean, why do you stick to the clean channel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddkid View Post
I want to try the other MXR one at some point the noise clamp and see if thats any better.
I have the noise clamp. It is really good BUT in order to have the fastest release time possible you have to set the threshold really high. That ....s up with the sustain, so you might need a compressor in front of it. I have the threshold at around 12:00 and sometimes I don't notice the "release gasp", but when I do

Metal is the air I breathe

For poorly recorded melo/black/power/thrash metal click here

AliceLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:09 AM   #10
Stealthdjentstic
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Isp decimator
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
USMarine75
Doc McStuffins

^ ditto above. Definitely recommend a TS in front to tighten up the sound. No need to go expensive if you don't want... a cheap TS7 will cut it. You'll find you won't need to dime your settings to get a heavy sound. Start at 5 with amp EQ and gain settings and go from there you will be amazed how much better your amp sounds without just "cranking it".

Get a 10-band EQ that allows you to tweak your sound and to fit in the mix.

Also, you will get feedback so get an ISP Decimator to solve that.

I'm a lover… Not a fighter... But I'm also a fighter, so don’t get any ideas.
USMarine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
OfArtAndArsenal
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMarine75 View Post
Definitely recommend a TS in front to tighten up the sound. No need to go expensive if you don't want... a cheap TS7 will cut it.
THIS.
My $25 mxr classic OD did the trick just fine too.
And the decimator is the name of the game for noise gates. I almost hate to let go of mine, I just don't need it anymore.
OfArtAndArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
Deliverowned
Tabernach

All previous post are useless if you dont throw your metalcore pedal in the garbage.

Dial in yourself a nice and main rythm tone on the high gain channel of the jcm900.

Now, if you want a solo boost, you can achieve it by many ways, overdrives, clean boosts, EQs etc.

Id recommend you an EQ in the loop fx or whatever you wish to own really..

Mxr noise gate works really well if its what you need/want as a noise gate. I got one.
ISP decimator is a noise suppressor, works really well again if thats what you need/want, got also one.

For pedal essentials, playing any kind of metal, id start with a noise gate, the mxr. Then id say an overdrive would come second, again mxr then a noise suppressor, the isp, then delays/eqs/fxs/clean boosts/buffers.

Usully, you cant go wrong with mxr pedals.

If you have any questions

2cebnts

Great deals with : encasedmetal, jefffrommtl, coop.
Deliverowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
Oddkid
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLG View Post
Quick question, if it is unlikely for your upcoming gig to use clean, why do you stick to the clean channel?

I have the noise clamp. It is really good BUT in order to have the fastest release time possible you have to set the threshold really high. That ....s up with the sustain, so you might need a compressor in front of it. I have the threshold at around 12:00 and sometimes I don't notice the "release gasp", but when I do

Basically the metalcore through the clean channel sounds better than the overdrive channel with or without it. To be honest for rock sounds the overdrive channel does the job but i can't get the sound i want from it for metal.

The ISP seems to be the best gate on the market i think it's going to be my next purchase. I know that any boss pedal with the word metal in it is an automatic fail but it gives a more active sound from my passive pick ups. I do fancy the zakk wylde mxr overdrive pedal it might be something to get later on. I've head its possible with EQ pedals to dial out the feedback from other pedals but surely the noisegate makes that a bit superfluous?
Old 06-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
USMarine75
Doc McStuffins

There's nothing wrong with using a pedal to get your distortion.

If you want a real metal pedal then IMO I'd step up to something "better" sounding like a Tightmetal, Emma Pisdiyauwot, AMT SS-11 or -22, Metal Muff, etc... more organic sounding.

I'm a lover… Not a fighter... But I'm also a fighter, so don’t get any ideas.
USMarine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
SirMyghin
The Dirt Guy

There are no essential pedals, they are just the icing on the cake.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
TheKindred
TimeTravel Innovator

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMarine75 View Post
There's nothing wrong with using a pedal to get your distortion.

If you want a real metal pedal then IMO I'd step up to something "better" sounding like a Tightmetal, Emma Pisdiyauwot, AMT SS-11 or -22, Metal Muff, etc... more organic sounding.
Agree with everything but the Metal Muff. Most disappointing distortion pedal I ever tried. I couldn't get a single sound I liked out if it; so goddamned ice-picky and shrill.
TheKindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
4Eyes
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
tuner, TS, noise gate and delay with good amp seems to be basic setup for lot of metal guitarists. you can leave delay if you don't play solos and cleans
4Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #19
Oddkid
SS.org Regular

I'm considering a chorus pedal for solos. I had a bit of a play with one and i got some really cool sounds out of it on overdrive.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
axxessdenied
SS.org Regular

The most important imo...
Volume pedal, tuning pedal.

If you want something that will bring versatility to your sound and amp, a Tech 21 Sansamp GT2 is an killer pedal. It's really great for dialing in some killer tones really quickly.

Visual Sounds Route 66 is another really versatile pedal. Compressor / Overdrive in one pedal. The overdrive side is a tubescreamer copy. Awesome value.

The WIP Thread
Give feedback to others, and get some in return on your works in progress!

musical exploration - [ Facebook ]
check it out! [ SoundCloud ] [ YouTube ] [ Instagram ]
axxessdenied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #21
Oddkid
SS.org Regular

That does sound quite interesting to be fair. I've often thought about a tubescreamer in the past.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:07 AM   #22
TRENCHLORD
Banned

Just throw a Maxon 808 or an OD9 in front of your distorted channel.
You won't get much better than that. An Ibanez ts808 would be .... as well.
With an amp that's top notch like marshall tubeys, why not spend the extra $ on an 808 type?
(the 808s creamy saturated fattness really compliments that sharper marshall grit IMO.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #23
LudoCluedo
ss.org Regular

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tuner - Those polytune's look pretty swanky
Volume pedal - Didn't see the point of one until I tried, now I can't imagine playing without one
Noise suppressor - Maybe not "essential" but very nice to have
Power conditioner or similar - Some venues have terribad electric hookups, you could just use batteries though to get round this
LudoCluedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #24
Oddkid
SS.org Regular

I've never heard of a power conditioner.

Like i said, a tubescreamer is something in the mix for later on i reckon. It'll be a noisegate next for sure.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #25
All_Ľour_Bass
RUM RAISIN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindred View Post
Agree with everything but the Metal Muff. Most disappointing distortion pedal I ever tried. I couldn't get a single sound I liked out if it; so goddamned ice-picky and shrill.
Do not use the top boost on that thing.

Not for government. Not for country. But for ourselves.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote