homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
CrownofWorms
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What should I do?! Band preferring to play mediocrity

I feel the musicians I got are extremely underestimating themselves. They wanna play some really generic metalcore to impress a crowd consisting of teenagers, but I wanna play something with more balls. They wanna play something simple, but when I recruited them they could play mastodon, necrophagist, suffocation, dream theater and much more. But theyre seriously trying to wimp out and play texas in july. And I thought of simple and brutal songs, but they said no(hell they called Morbid Angel ugly when a week ago they loved it). Hell they pussied out on Pantera and Gojira. btw we got a show in about 4 days

This is what they wanna play

and a metal version of this

I wanna do

Its kinda sad that these guys dont get respect at all

so what do you guys think of all this
CrownofWorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
VBCheeseGrater
not quite a shredder

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Sounds like you'll need to find other guys to play with. Trying to force the issue rarely works well, unless it's straight up "your band". Even if you get them to play what you want to, it's not going to be the same as playing with guys that are totally into what you want to do. I'm speaking from experience here.

Ibanez IC400, RG921F, ARZ307, USA HH Strat, Randall USA Century 4x12
2 x Diavlo V30 1x12, 5153 50w, Hafler T3, POD HD Pro, Carvin DCM2000L
VBCheeseGrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Waelstrum
All Fourths Advocate

Is there any chance of compromise? Like you could play that Texas in July song, but in your metal version of that other one, make it a bit more technical, or perhaps splice the guitar solo from another song like below but metal.

Do they want to play simpler stuff because they don't trust their chops, or because they prefer how it sounds? If they don't trust their chops, you could arrange things so that the trickier bits are handled by you, and they're merely accompanying you. If it's because they prefer simpler music, then you might have to find another band (or adapt to them).
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
CTID
Duh-Jent

You really should probably just find guys who are going to want to play the same music as you. Like vbshredder said, it won't be the same if you don't.

On the other hand, if you really think Texas in July is a mediocre band, I feel sorry for you.
CTID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
CrownofWorms
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waelstrum View Post
Is there any chance of compromise? Like you could play that Texas in July song, but in your metal version of that other one, make it a bit more technical, or perhaps splice the guitar solo from another song like below but metal.

Do they want to play simpler stuff because they don't trust their chops, or because they prefer how it sounds? If they don't trust their chops, you could arrange things so that the trickier bits are handled by you, and they're merely accompanying you. If it's because they prefer simpler music, then you might have to find another band (or adapt to them).
Its either that Texas band or nothing. But I get to have 30 seconds of a song I like(pure bs). Its that they dont trust their chops and I'm surprised they chose such a lame song, when they listen to more complex stuff like Arsis and Baroness

btw I dont wanna sound narcissistic, but I was the one that originally started this, I was the one that looked for and found these guys(All by me and I got a sure). I am the only original member in this band, but it is still our very beginnings
Old 05-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
spawnofthesith
SS.org Regular

Show them some Visceral Disgorge. Sick as .... band, and theres honestly no reason those into metalcore shouldn't be all over slam like that
spawnofthesith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
Waelstrum
All Fourths Advocate

I take it that you just do covers? If you have a similar musical taste as your band, but they just don't trust their chops, if you write your own material, you could find a good compromise of playability and heaviness. There are ways to make music complicated other than making it hard to play...
Old 05-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
CrownofWorms
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waelstrum View Post
I take it that you just do covers? If you have a similar musical taste as your band, but they just don't trust their chops, if you write your own material, you could find a good compromise of playability and heaviness. There are ways to make music complicated other than making it hard to play...
But we have 3 days.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
Aceshighhhh
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTID View Post
On the other hand, if you really think Texas in July is a mediocre band, I feel sorry for you.
Realistically, they're just a watered down version of august burns red
Aceshighhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
HumanFuseBen
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Find yourself something else to do, i'm afraid. Don't waste your time hoping that they'll become something they don't want to be. Been down that road before and it didn't end well. sorry dude!

please check out my band, ARC! fuisiony-metuhlz. Ultimate Warrior approved. 26 strings. www.myspace.com/officialarc
HumanFuseBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
Nile
Giver of the Likes

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That video for Texas In July was awesome at 1:00-1:15, then got retarded fast.

Make a compromise with them for this one show then find new people.

PUSSIES DON'T SIGN NEG REP.

Nile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
Waelstrum
All Fourths Advocate

Oh, I missed the time limit. If it were me, I'd go with the rest of the band for the gig, but have a talk with them afterwards about where they wanted it to go from there.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
-42-
Nothing to see here

Well, most bands should start simple regardless of their eventual musical ambitions, but simple doesn't mean ....ty. Find some simple, solid songs and nail them.

Is their reluctance to play based on an inability to actually play the material? Or the fact that they don't like it? That's a pretty important distinction and should really be in the front of your mind regarding whether or not you want to continue playing with them.

Ambition is great, but it should be backed up by experience. I doubt a single person on the planet prefers sloppy sweeps to coordinated chords.
-42- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
TheSpaceforthis
SS.org Regular

Quote:
You really should probably just find guys who are going to want to play the same music as you. Like vbshredder said, it won't be the same if you don't.

You are right, mediocre is a kind description, its an awful retarded band.
TheSpaceforthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #15
CTID
Duh-Jent

^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshighhhh View Post
Realistically, they're just a watered down version of august burns red

It's funny that I'm even defending them, because I'm not even a big fan of them. But to call them mediocre is just wrong.
CTID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #16
CrownofWorms
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by -42- View Post
Well, most bands should start simple regardless of their eventual musical ambitions, but simple doesn't mean ....ty. Find some simple, solid songs and nail them.

Is their reluctance to play based on an inability to actually play the material? Or the fact that they don't like it? That's a pretty important distinction and should really be in the front of your mind regarding whether or not you want to continue playing with them.

Ambition is great, but it should be backed up by experience. I doubt a single person on the planet prefers sloppy sweeps to coordinated chords.
Dude I chose simple songs(like Pantera)
. But it was either too heavy or not "fun" enough
Old 05-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #17
Hemi-Powered Drone
Dragonblade629

If it's your band you at least get veto privilege, so you can just say no to what you don't want to play or kick them out. If I understand correctly, they aren't living up to their promises, which just isn't right.
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #18
Xaios
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
^

It's funny that I'm even defending them, because I'm not even a big fan of them. But to call them mediocre is just wrong.
This song definitely goes to show how even technically gifted musicians can still write absolutely generic music.

Regarding the band situation, it sounds like they just want to play whatever they think will make them popular with no regard for challenging themselves as musicians. If that's not your bag, then ditch them.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #19
wrongnote85
SS.org Regular

.... em dude, i'll jam with you. i know half those songs up there already.
wrongnote85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #20
wrongnote85
SS.org Regular

hey, how do you embed videos here??
wrongnote85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #21
xCaptainx
Dr Djodson

playing a bunch of covers in 4 days time? Whatever you play is going to sound pretty messy with only a few days practise. I'm guessing from the tone of this, it's a high school talent quest or local band rockquest or something.

Sounds like the dudes just want to play what they like and have fun. Sounds like you're being the Buzz Killington of the lot. Start another band, leave them alone to do whatever they enjoy the most.
xCaptainx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:27 AM   #22
RevDrucifer
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownofWorms View Post
Dude I chose simple songs(like Pantera)
. But it was either too heavy or not "fun" enough
I stopped reading the thread here.If you play any form of heavy music and playing ANYTHING by Pantera isn't "fun", then you just don't get it.

And that goes deeper than the actual riffs...

As for that Texas 4th of July ........sounds like every other ....in' band to come out in the last 6 years.
RevDrucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #23
lucasreis
ERG Ambassador

Wow,that Texas in July band sucks major donkey balls I must say.

And to think people bashed nu-metal, I would take the worst nu-metal band over that ....ty band over there. Also, WTF is that Chief Keef thing? What a ridiculous song...

Dude... seriously, kick them out, find a new band, let they drown in their mediocrity.
lucasreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #24
Demiurge
Intrepid Jackass

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It's probably best to just leave the band. There's really no mitigating creative differences such as those evident here- especially when the OP is left in the "odd man out" role.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #25
ArrowHead
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCaptainx View Post
playing a bunch of covers in 4 days time? Whatever you play is going to sound pretty messy with only a few days practise. I'm guessing from the tone of this, it's a high school talent quest or local band rockquest or something.

Sounds like the dudes just want to play what they like and have fun. Sounds like you're being the Buzz Killington of the lot. Start another band, leave them alone to do whatever they enjoy the most.

Exactly.

Also, who cares about metal covers? If you're doing it to have fun, have fun. If you're doing it to get gigs, well... how many gigging uber-heavy metal cover bands do you know?

Play the covers. Learn to be tight as a unit. Then get on to important things like writing some music. Rarely is everyone in a band into exactly the same music. While it makes it hard to pick cover songs, it will also help make your original music sound unique when all those different influences converge.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote