homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
  
General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
summit101
SS.org Regular
 
summit101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 260
Thanked: 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Volumes, tuned up to Bb?!

this is sounding soooo gooooooood.

notice the rhythm backing guitar tracks also?

Volumes "Via" live @ The Sick Tour 2012 - YouTube
summit101 is offline  
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Stealthdjentstic
Banned
 
Stealthdjentstic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canadia
Posts: 21,256
Thanked: 338
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Still reallllly boring :\
Stealthdjentstic is offline  
Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
summit101
SS.org Regular
 
summit101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 260
Thanked: 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you really need a soft side for "melodic hardcore" to like

edit: and sensational lyrics/patterns to top it off.
summit101 is offline  
Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
Divinehippie
ESaD ;)
 
Divinehippie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Milton, VT
Posts: 424
Thanked: 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I get what stealth is saying. I mean I actually like this style (not guna say the "D" word, we all know where that leads xD) bit admittedly there are people who do more interesting things with this sound haha.

"On another note... the lower I tune my bass, the more its balls grow."-ZEBOV

"Every time i see a thread about good basses for metal i picture hundreds of talkbass users throwing keyboards against walls"-GenghisCoyne

www.facebook.com/robertbartonVT (current project. alt rock/indi/blusey stuff)
www.facebook.com/headofthetraitor (RIP)
Divinehippie is offline  
Old 04-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
summit101
SS.org Regular
 
summit101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 260
Thanked: 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
its all for the atmospheric tension, opposed to being more creative.

edit: imo that is.
edit: you wouldn't compare them to Animals As leaders. ahaha.
summit101 is offline  
Old 04-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
summit101
SS.org Regular
 
summit101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 260
Thanked: 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
there are certain songs and sounds that just don't compare the same way unless its tuned in drop Bb, or drop C. D standard is an exception. i wouldn't write a song in drop C# and try to create the same sound in Drop A 7-string tuning.

maybe im just over analyzing..

edit: the real point is, Bb tuning excels for melodic hardcore music. as well as C/D standard.
summit101 is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
Loomer
Comfortably Dumb
 
Loomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 3,159
Thanked: 46
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Melodic hardcore in Bb?!

Wow, Lifetime and Ignite would sound really weird with guitars down that low
Loomer is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #8
Guitarman700
SS.org Regular
 
Guitarman700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 4,409
Thanked: 22
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
How are Volumes melodic hardcore?
Sounds like deathcore to me.

"FFDP is metal for Nascar fans."-Rick
"Someone said they like guns. I like Mel Gibson."-God
Guitarman700 is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #9
Dan
Senior Member
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 2,569
Thanked: 101
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Two singers - Check
Song that starts off with clean guitar similar to anything by Tesseract - Check
Whole song in 4/4 with odd 32nd note kick - Check
Band name that's a plural of something - Check

Totally original

got bored 1 minute in, anyone ever think of using melody in their music nnowadays?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
GTailly
Intellect's Minion
 
GTailly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 779
Thanked: 14
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Turning into a bashing/debate of genres thread? - check.

"The strongest principle of growth lies in the human choice." - George Eliot
GTailly is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
MikeH
Bring the gain
 
MikeH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 9,171
Thanked: 277
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I still love Volumes.

KEEP IT GRIM IN THE GYM
MikeH is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
Handbanana
SS.org Regular
 
Handbanana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin, TX.
Posts: 493
Thanked: 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Some of you guys never cease to amaze me.
Handbanana is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
silverabyss
_(:3 」∠)_
 
silverabyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brewster, OH
Posts: 3,007
Thanked: 18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Honestly Volumes are one of the better djeathcore bands

Maybe they'll grow out of that toughguycore gangster market fit cap aesthetic though.
silverabyss is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #14
7stringDemon
SS.org Regular
 
7stringDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 2,098
Thanked: 20
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think Volumes is the .....

I listen to Edge Of The Earth, Intake and Via all the time.

Maybe that's because I'm coming off of a 2 year streak of nothing but brutal death metal. Need something a bit lighter but still heavy in my diet.

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search!
Trans Blue/Teal Quilt Maple tops
7stringDemon is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
Mexi
SS.org Regular
 
Mexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 1,617
Thanked: 16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverabyss View Post
djeathcore

My father warned me about the dangers of alcohol: "never make a martini with too much vermouth"
Mexi is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
silverabyss
_(:3 」∠)_
 
silverabyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brewster, OH
Posts: 3,007
Thanked: 18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexi View Post
Someone had to say it.

I was cringing myself when I typed it out.
silverabyss is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
r3tr0sp3ct1v3
Grey
 
r3tr0sp3ct1v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Camden, SC
Posts: 1,203
Thanked: 31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OMG A BAND SWITCHED TUNINGS OMG THREADWORTHY


/troll

Certainly not an android
r3tr0sp3ct1v3 is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
Cynic
Bored Stiff
 
Cynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,152
Thanked: 86
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
1. Two singers - Check
2. Song that starts off with clean guitar similar to anything by Tesseract - Check
3. Whole song in 4/4 with odd 32nd note kick - Check
4. Band name that's a plural of something - Check

Totally original

got bored 1 minute in, anyone ever think of using melody in their music nnowadays?
1. Is this an observation or is it supposed to fit some mold in the genre? I don't even.
2. As opposed to distorted guitars? It doesn't even give off the same vibe as TesseracT in the slightest.
3. Meter changes are a requirement to be good? Syncopation is odd?
4. Because the band name is what matters. The music comes second.


What are you getting at?


Anyways, Michael sounds so aggressive live. Love it.
Cynic is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
-42-
Nothing to see here
 
-42-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cental Coast, CA
Posts: 2,786
Thanked: 41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For some reason I felt like I was watching a rap battle between a couple dorky, screaming white dudes.
-42- is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
spawnofthesith
SS.org Regular
 
spawnofthesith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,009
Thanked: 33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This bands pretty cool in my book
spawnofthesith is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
EtherealEntity
Tom Winspear
 
EtherealEntity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Southend-on-Sea, Essex, U.K
Posts: 10,107
Thanked: 105
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'd never checked this band out before purely because of their name.
They are exactly as I would expect..
EtherealEntity is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #22
Loomer
Comfortably Dumb
 
Loomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 3,159
Thanked: 46
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by -42- View Post
For some reason I felt like I was watching a rap battle between a couple dorky, screaming white dudes.
OMG DIED
Loomer is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #23
Dan
Senior Member
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 2,569
Thanked: 101
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
1. Is this an observation or is it supposed to fit some mold in the genre? I don't even.
2. As opposed to distorted guitars? It doesn't even give off the same vibe as TesseracT in the slightest.
3. Meter changes are a requirement to be good? Syncopation is odd?
4. Because the band name is what matters. The music comes second.


What are you getting at?


Anyways, Michael sounds so aggressive live. Love it.
Because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
I'd never checked this band out before purely because of their name.
They are exactly as I would expect..
This. I knew exactly what they would sound like before i pressed play. It was just... average. There wasn't anything that stood out in that track at all. I checked out their other stuff too, as i feel every band should have a fair listen, but nothing stuck in my head whatsoever. It just seemed like a huge cliche of all the bands that people like at the moment (sikth, meshuggah, fellsilent, tesseract etc.) and i feel that musicians should at least try to be a little more unique in the way they put themselves across.

Also yes. The band name is important. As much as people say they dont, most people will check out a band simply because of their name and album art. It works well for these guys seen as its purely the bands with plural names that play the same music, but its a bit like being a metallica fan and calling your band 'enter sandmen' or something...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #24
summit101
SS.org Regular
 
summit101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 260
Thanked: 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
in my mind, its like its their own take on "For The Fallen Dreams - Changes" type of sound. if anyone here even knows of or listens to that album.. Im not even talking about "DJENT!!!!!!OMFGLOL" or "DEATHCORE!!!!!OMFGLOL" thats why i mentioned melodic hardcore. But AGAIN i wouldn't compare them entirely with Melodic hardcore from the 90's. maybe we would all feel better if i put the word "Modern" infront of "melodic hardcore"?


back to the point. MELODIC HARDCORE (with metal influences)...........
summit101 is offline  
Old 04-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #25
Cynic
Bored Stiff
 
Cynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,152
Thanked: 86
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Because:



This. I knew exactly what they would sound like before i pressed play. It was just... average. There wasn't anything that stood out in that track at all. I checked out their other stuff too, as i feel every band should have a fair listen, but nothing stuck in my head whatsoever. It just seemed like a huge cliche of all the bands that people like at the moment (sikth, meshuggah, fellsilent, tesseract etc.) and i feel that musicians should at least try to be a little more unique in the way they put themselves across.

Also yes. The band name is important. As much as people say they dont, most people will check out a band simply because of their name and album art. It works well for these guys seen as its purely the bands with plural names that play the same music, but its a bit like being a metallica fan and calling your band 'enter sandmen' or something...
I didn't say that a band name wasn't important, and you bring up a different point entirely from the original context. That is beside the point, though.

Judging a band based on their album art or band name is silly, tbh. I mean, you listen to music because you like to listen to it, right? So it doesn't make much sense to say "Hey, I don't like this band because the album art/band name (that has no bearing on the music) is dumb." Not that I disagree with it being important in marketing, but just the idea of it all.

Also, SikTh being a cliche?
Cynic is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Our Network: PRS Guitar Forum | Luthier Forum | SG Guitar Forum | Les Paul Forum | Marshall Amp Forum | Acoustic Guitar Forum

SS.org proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2004-2016, SevenString.org. All Rights Reserved.