homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Pooluke41
H. Maddas

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
UK Council takes Drum Kit away from boy.

This may not be big news like Aliens attacking or America electing Vermin Supreme. But I thought this would be good to share.

Teenager has drum kit confiscated by council - Telegraph

Is it just me or is this entirely unfair?
Pooluke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Gothic Headhunter
Born on a Monday

Thats bull..... i hope they give him back his kit.
Gothic Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Maniacal
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A similar thing happened to me when I was younger...

One of my neighbours hung a microphone out of his window and recorded my playing. He then took the tape to the council and I had to stop drumming on my acoustic kit permanently. 4 or 5 years later I scraped enough money to buy an electric kit and could finally practice again on something other than pillows.

Bottom line neighbours are pieces of .....

Books, posters, play along lessons and apps!

I teach on Skype - If you purchased my books, first lesson is free!

http://www.shredtraining.com

Please subscribe to my YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/shredtraining
Maniacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Customisbetter
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Another reason why America is still better... for now.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
athawulf
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Wow... At least his parents are supportive though. Only 20 minutes a day?

athawulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
tacotiklah
I am Denko (・ω・`)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Seriously, my former drummer would play his drums from sun up to sundown every day. The amount of ....s given were = 5^2-25. Can't understand why just 20 minutes a day with even a break all day sunday is somehow detrimental enough to society to warrant confiscating personal property...

Here's some of my playing. Hear it in all it's "trv kvlt" production values...
https://soundcloud.com/shadowraithmetal

The Hand of Nod (PC build)
http://valid.x86.fr/762wfy

"I instantly transformed into Nopey McNoperson, mayor and lone inhabitant of Nopeville, capitol of Nope Dakota." - Grand Moff Tim
tacotiklah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
Scar Symmetry
Ex Whiny Bitch

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Customisbetter View Post
Another reason why America is still better... for now.

3000 kit? The little ....er is spoilt anyway, why does he need a 3000 kit to practise 20 mins a day? Just put ....ing pads on the kit, if you can afford 3 grand then pads isn't going to dent the pocket

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bull.....
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
pink freud
SS.org Regular

The obvious solution is to find the loudest kit in the world and send it to this kid.
pink freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
morbider
O.o

I think the kid was being quite considerate with the hours he chose to play to be honest.
morbider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

This kind of .... irritates me. I bet he isn't even that loud. There's a real problem with neighbours in this country not actually talking to one another like ....ing adults. Instead of going to them directly and asking if there was a way they could compromise, they decided to be pussies about it and go behind their backs, taking away something a kid enjoys.

It's only 20 ....ing minutes anyway. We get loud as .... dustbin lorries driving down our street at God knows white time in the morning. My solution? I listen to music. Problem solved.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
tacotiklah
I am Denko (・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Symmetry View Post

3000 kit? The little ....er is spoilt anyway, why does he need a 3000 kit to practise 20 mins a day? Just put ....ing pads on the kit, if you can afford 3 grand then pads isn't going to dent the pocket
Reread the article man. The kid DID put pads on the kit, and they still took it away...

"I instantly transformed into Nopey McNoperson, mayor and lone inhabitant of Nopeville, capitol of Nope Dakota." - Grand Moff Tim
Old 04-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
flint757
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstofperdition View Post
Reread the article man. The kid DID put pads on the kit, and they still took it away...
Even still there is a lot more red tape to go through in the US for stuff like this and it doesn't lead to confiscation. I can't believe that was even possible. A cop would literally laugh in your face in the US if you said someone was being loud between 4 and 6.

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
Don Vito
★ball pit commitee★

One good thing about growing up in an extremely rural environment, nobody can hear you.

I can play as loud as I want any time of the day pretty much.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
Powermetalbass
Powermetalbassist

In parts of Canada there are 24 hour bylaws, which can result in a complaint leading to a warning from the police....but that is usually it. That kid was within his rights. Next time the neighbour fires up the lawnmower....call the cops and make a noise complaint. the lawnmower is probably louder then the kids drums anyway.
Powermetalbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
flint757
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermetalbass View Post
In parts of Canada there are 24 hour bylaws, which can result in a complaint leading to a warning from the police....but that is usually it. That kid was within his rights. Next time the neighbour fires up the lawnmower....call the cops and make a noise complaint. the lawnmower is probably louder then the kids drums anyway.
No joke when I lived in an apartment, I was in college so my hours were wonky, and I was awakened on several occasions to loud ass lawn equipment.

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #16
WickedSymphony
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
This kind of .... irritates me. I bet he isn't even that loud. There's a real problem with neighbours in this country not actually talking to one another like ....ing adults. Instead of going to them directly and asking if there was a way they could compromise, they decided to be pussies about it and go behind their backs, taking away something a kid enjoys.
The neighbor problem isn't just in your country, it's out here too. Couple weeks ago my friend was over and we went out to get shakes at night (around 10pm or so) and when we came back there was no parking left nearby (I live in what are considered town homes in this neighborhood, so shared parking spaces) and my house doesn't have a drive way, so I parked as close up to my garage door (garage is full of my brother's crap so couldn't park in there) as I could and was gonna take my friend's spot when he left. Then some asshole neighbors, at midnight, call the neighborhood security to call a tow truck for my car. Luckily, the security at least gave us a call first so it wouldn't get towed, but it was pretty ....ed. My car was sticking out into the street MAYBE 2-3 feet. And it's not like we were even bothering anyone or being loud, we were just sitting my room playing video games.

And back when I was in high school I would jam with my friend once or twice a month in the afternoon, around 2pm, for an hour or so and his neighbor threatened to call the cops on us for the noise. It was just the 2 of us using a basic drum kit and a 30w combo amp.

I really don't understand what some people's problems are that they have to act like assholes to their neighbors.
WickedSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
C2Aye
has the groove.

Sucks for the kid.

And you get .... neighbours everywhere. I'm just lucky that my downstars neighbour at my uni flat gives my flatmate and I free eggs from her chickens, vegetables that she grows and is just generally awesome to us.
C2Aye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
highlordmugfug
themuthaphukkindeath

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSymphony View Post
I really don't understand what some people's problems are that they have to act like assholes to their neighbors.
It's because a majority of people nowadays have grown up to be massive pussies and either

A: Don't have the balls to just go talk to their neighbor if they're doing something loud (and I mean like playing a musical instrument, or watching tv loud, if someone is screaming/cussing/breaking .... it's perfectly okay to just call the cops in my opinion, because going up to someones door when they're freaking out like that could end very badly for you)

and/or

B. Feel that they have the right to not be ever bothered by anything ever. If you so much as make enough of a sound that they even REMEMBER that someone else lives on the same block as them, they want you to go .... yourself as hard as you ....ing can and will do whatever sneaky, dickfaced thing they can to make that happen.
Cursing added to express annoyance of crappy, shortsighted neighbors.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
AngstRiddenDreams
is on drugs.

People can be ....ing pricks.

I just wasted your time.
AngstRiddenDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #20
Grand Moff Tim
Some call me... Tim

Back when my sister, her husband, and their kids all lived with my parents and I, the kids (all boys under the age of 8 at the time) kept accidentally letting our new beagle puppy out the front door. The pup would run around the neighborhood not really hurting anything until it either got tired and came back or was caught by one of the neighborhood kids, who seemed to actually get a kick out of trying to catch it. On one occasion, though, a cop came to our door and told us that there have been complaints of us letting our dog roam the neighborhood. My dad told him it wasn't intentional, and the cop said the next time they received a complaint they would send animal control to take the puppy away.

I can't even begin to describe how livid I was. It just seemed like complete and utter bull.... that someone couldn't be adult enough to just come knock on our door and talk things through with us. It's not like whoever complained didn't know whose dog it was, either, since they apparently knew our address to have the cops sent to it. After the cop left I actually went outside and walked up to a few adults I saw standing out in their yards and asked them if they were the ones who called the cops. They all said no, of course, but whether or not all of them were telling the truth, I made sure to make it perfectly clear (not dickishly, though) that if they ever have any sort of problem with someone or something involving my family, then please for the love of Iommi just come knock on my door. We don't bite, we're reasonable, and we want to make the neighborhood a nice place for everyone.

Man, I'm getting all mumbly grumbly just thinking about it...

Walter Winchel was wrong. People are terrible.
Grand Moff Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #21
Fiction
For Mod

We've had the cops called on us at our old house for Having the air conditioner on past 10pm as the humming was too loud. We had the air conditioner on, in the middle of summer and they felt the need to make a noise complaint. We actually moved because of them, several times the woman knocke on our door at 5-6pm and told us to turn the TV Down or A/C off because she's trying to study, the dumb bitch was like 35 still living with her parents.

[Fiction] 1:47 pm: she could probably toss a salad with that thing
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:52 AM   #22
tacotiklah
I am Denko (・ω・`)

Well one perk of being half deaf is that loud music doesn't faze me much. Unless it's something like dubstep or dance music since I have great hearing my my bass frequencies, which will wake me up every time. Can't stand lawnmowers either.

My heart goes out to this kid because some bitch neighbors put a stop to his dream. I wonder how those people sleep at night knowing they've managed to crush a kid's hopes and dreams. Seriously, they need to .... themselves with a rake...

My hope is that the kid can get a new kit and they soundproof the the room he plays in. Moving wouldn't be such a bad idea either because I can only see this snowballing into a bitchfest where a duckfart can be too loud and there will be even more grief for this family...

Old 04-10-2012, 05:42 AM   #23
Scar Symmetry
Ex Whiny Bitch

People these days are indeed massive pussies

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bull.....
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
BucketheadRules
Fuzz pedal hoarder

....ing ....s.

I want to find those neighbours and perform horrific, yet darkly hilarious, experiments on their anuses while they sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a 7-string any more and I like fat necks and single-coils, come at me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #25
WickedSymphony
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketheadRules View Post
....ing ....s.

I want to find those neighbours and perform horrific, yet darkly hilarious, experiments on their anuses while they sleep.
And I'm sure those pricks would call the cops on you for that, too!

WickedSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote