homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food Exercise plans, recipes & general healthy living discussion here.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
Ocean_Ashes
ss.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No energy and lethargic

Hi guys,

Over the past 2 weeks Ive been waking up without any energy and just feeling plain lethargic and even hopeless sometimes. I get a good 7-8 hours of sleep each night, but when i wake up it feels like ive been up all night. Im less than occupied at the moment and looking for more jobs (Ive got 2, but with very little hours) so im guessing that doesnt help either, but it also wasnt a problem before,

Has anyone ever experienced the same? Its getting quite annoying.

I lack the creativity to think of a decent sig.
Ocean_Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
Demiurge
Intrepid Jackass

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I don't believe that it's that uncommon to get that way. There might be other mitigating factors, though: How well are you eating? Are you exercising? How much do you drink? Are you depressed?

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Ocean_Ashes
ss.org Regular

I dont know if im depressed. I do get kind of frustrated sometimes for no reason (not at people) and im losing interest in playing and practicing, while i have an important audition in 2 months. Other than that I just feel kinda sad because I may have wasted the past 5 months of my life in my opinion (Not entirely without the influence of the lethargic feeling Ive had on and of over this period of time).

I just eat a regular ammount: breakfast, lunch and dinner. Im not over or underweight.
I should probably drink more water though, and excersizing is kind of slipping, but mostly because im tired, so thatś kind of a cycle I have to break through i guess :p

Old 04-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Necris
Bonitis.

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
It definitely sounds like depression from that short description.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Bevo
SS.org Regular

I would start with your routine and what has changed before this started. Also look at what you do during the day, are you actualy tired when you go to bed? if not maybe you spent to much time on the couch.

Diet and food is also a huge factor in causing this to happen, you may not eat to much but you may not eat well.
Excersize is also important, you want to use up some of that energy to help you sleep not to mention help clear your mind.

Good luck!
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Ill-Gotten James
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like you just have a lot going on in your life which is causing some stress. Stress can cause temporary bouts of depression, that can manifest itself by causing you to feel lethargic. I can sympathize with how you are feeling, because I have been feeling the same way for a few weeks now as well. Life is just busy and stressful sometimes.

The prior posts all give good advice. Diet and exercise can really make a huge impact on how you feel on a day to day basis. Hope you feel better soon.

J.K. Eggleston
Ill-Gotten James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Konfyouzd
Dread-I Master

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You sound tired. Between my job, commute and home life I can end up feeling the same way you do a lot. Do you still take time to do things that you enjoy during the day? Sometimes that kind of break can relieve some mental fatigue and help out when you're feeling the way you seem to.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Ocean_Ashes
ss.org Regular

It may be depression, but if so only a mild one.
The thing is I don't really have anything to make a routine out of at the moment, since i'm not in school right now and because i have not found a job that will let me work a bit more yet. So its not that i'm working too much, but I do have a lot stuff on my mind.

Since i've got a lot of empty time I do a lot of choirs for my parents and besides that there is of course guitar, guitarclasses and driving lessons. I'm on a gapyear of some sort between highschool and university, which i decided to take at the very last moment (since I had no clue what to major in) with very little planning and i havent been to succesfull so far. I did do an audition for a musicschool though, that is now my main focus. That's about the whole story

I am usually tired when I go to bed, but its more or less a decreased feeling of the tiredness that i get when waking up.

But ill make it a daily thing to do some excersizing, and start drinking and eating better,
(and try to leave the past months behind me :p).

Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
Explorer
He seldomly knows...

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I was getting more and more tired, and started falling asleep readily immediately after getting home.

It turned out I was anemic, thanks to my diet having changed and having cut out the meat. Both my doctor and my nutritionist friend noted that non-heme iron (meaning not from animal sources) don't get absorbed as readily as heme iron (animal iron).

So, now I have to consume animal iron intentionally. Doctor's orders.

Just a thought!

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #10
Ocean_Ashes
ss.org Regular

And a good one! If this wont pas im going to my doctor and ill bring that up.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
Bevo
SS.org Regular

Thats interesting that your iron was down so low, those are the symtoms.
For me and lots of Vegies/vegan males we don't go out our way to get additional iron, its in the food we eat hopefully since we are ok.

Good tip though!

OP, a routine does not need to involve changing your entire day.
Try to get up 40 min sooner take a leak grab your shoes and MP3 and go for a 30 min walk while rocking to your tunes. After that have a good breakfast with eggs toast and no sugary cereal.
This will set the tone for the day, you will be charged up ready for the day and the music will be with you all day and you will be stoked to get back to your guitar!!
Old 04-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
Baelzebeard
Grinder of strings

It couldn't hurt to see a doctor and inquire about a sleep study. Sleep disorders are fairly common even in otherwise healthy people.
Baelzebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
athawulf
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^ agreed about seeing a doctor. Recently I went through a similar bought, and it was complimented by an increase of sleep paralysis events.

For me, oversleeping made it much worse. Try to immediately do an activity after waking everyday. On days I didn't have school or work it would be volunteering at an animal rescue- it really helped me get my energy levels up.

Hope this blows over soon for you man.

athawulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:38 AM   #14
Ocean_Ashes
ss.org Regular

^Thanks Atha

The 30 minute walk sounds good, I'll try that. My parents think i should see a doctor too, so i'll probably see one this week.

Thanks all for the great replies

Old 04-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
Bevo
SS.org Regular

Doctor is good advice but at the same time I would try everything in my power to fix it myself.
The problem with doctors is that if they dont see anything on your tests they may perscribe you something that you may not need but will give you the result your looking for.

If there is a tea shop in your area see if they have a tea from South Africa called Roobos (sp) or a tea to help you sleep. If I have an event the next day and can't sleep I have some and can't get through a half cup and its a deep sleep.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
Ocean_Ashes
ss.org Regular

I already have that tea, Ill take a cup tonight

Old 04-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
mountainjam
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Do you regularly eat raw fruits and veggies?
mountainjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #18
Bevo
SS.org Regular

^ that plus do you eat before bed?
It takes like 40% of your energy to digest the food which may keep you up.
Also complex fatty food takes even longer and may give you a sugar high.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
Ocean_Ashes
ss.org Regular

I could eat some more fruit, but I do get good veggies at dinner.
I also eat stuff like cookies (not a ridiculous ammount) about an hour before bed so ill stop doing that too.

I felt better today! Im not my old self completely yet, but I went for a walk or two with friends, and ate a good breakfast instead of my usual cereal breakfast. Slept pretty well (as usual) and woke up a little less fatigued. And im practicing my guitar again more diligently. Got some catching up to do

Old 04-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
texshred777
SS.org Regular

It sounds like a mild bout of depression or stress getting to you. Being under stimulated can put stress on your body as easily as being overworked.

I'm glad you're feeling a little better.

I've gone through those types of things and keeping yourself occupied, doing things that don't necessarily appeal to you at the moment can help you feel better. Even small things like taking a walk, listening to some music or cleaning the house can help you inch your way out of a rut. I know just sitting around doing nother will make me feel exhausted.

Nutrition can also play a big role, do you eat a lot of veggies and/or fruit?(just saw someone already asked..)

If nothing gets better for you speaking with a therapist may help. I know many people(especially men) have issues with speaking with therapists but I'd recommend a therapist over an MD if you're having signs of depression-especially if you don't want to be medicated. Therapists(not necessarily psychotherapists/psychiatrists) will give you strategies to deal with an issue without resorting to anti-depressants. I had a doctor put me on Zoloft for anxiety, when speaking with a therapist about it helped me work through the underlying issues that caused the anxiety in the first place. Many also work on a sliding scale for payment so it may not be as expensive as you'd think.
texshred777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #21
highlordmugfug
themuthaphukkindeath

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
I was getting more and more tired, and started falling asleep readily immediately after getting home.

It turned out I was anemic, thanks to my diet having changed and having cut out the meat. Both my doctor and my nutritionist friend noted that non-heme iron (meaning not from animal sources) don't get absorbed as readily as heme iron (animal iron).

So, now I have to consume animal iron intentionally. Doctor's orders.

Just a thought!
That is interesting. And strange to me, since I used to be tired all the time, and was falling asleep a lot right after I got home, but this was before I switched to eating vegan. My fatigue was probably caused by something else though, as my diet DRASTICALLY improved after I became vegan (actually eating fruits and vegetables, less fried foods, no fast food but burritos every once in a while, etc.).
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #22
warhead78
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlordmugfug View Post
That is interesting. And strange to me, since I used to be tired all the time, and was falling asleep a lot right after I got home, but this was before I switched to eating vegan. My fatigue was probably caused by something else though, as my diet DRASTICALLY improved after I became vegan (actually eating fruits and vegetables, less fried foods, no fast food but burritos every once in a while, etc.).
I'm actually in the process of switching over to being a raw vegan from a full on carnivorous diet. I can say that after a couple of weeks, depression/anxiety/fatigue and general moodiness have all but disappeared.
warhead78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #23
Bevo
SS.org Regular

Some of us are veggies/vegans but we would never push it on anyone.

Making a few small changes to a veggie meal a day would give your body a chance to clean itself up a bit.
Digesting food and sugar really can really take a toll on the body by making you tired or hyper then once it's done your more tired.

Keep at it, your on the right track!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #24
avenger
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Go get a blood test would be my advice. Could be something serious that hasn't fully reared its head yet.

avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #25
Ocean_Ashes
ss.org Regular

Well so far Iīve felt better the past week (due to the advice in this thread ), had a bit of a relapse this afternoon, but itīs in the process of being solved so unless itīs still around in the next month, im gonna go see a professional about it

EDIT: Feel pretty ok now! Still not to energetic, but i havenīt done my daily excersizing yet. Thanks again dudes!