homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Randy
‡‡INITIALIZING‡‡
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Transgender 'Miss Universe; Canada' Finalist Disqualified

Quote:
Transgender Miss Universe Canada Finalist Jenna Talackova Disqualified From Competition

She may look every bit the part of a beauty queen, but Jenna Talackova has lost her chance for the crown because she was born a biological male.

The 23-year-old Miss Universe Canada finalist was disqualified from the competition after it was discovered she had undergone sexual reassignment surgery, reports CTV.

National director of Miss Universe Canada Denis Davila told the Toronto Star that while they consider Talackova to be a "real girl," Miss Universe rules stipulate that contestants must be a “naturally born female.”

Davila also told the Star that Talackova indicated on her registration form that she was born female. Talackova was disqualified the same day she revealed she was in fact born a male.

According to a statement from Miss Universe Canada, Talackova was disqualified because "she did not meet the requirements to compete despite having stated otherwise on her entry form. We do, however, respect her goals, determination and wish her the best."

In a 2010 interview, Talackova said she knew she was a female at age 4 and began hormone therapy at age 14. She underwent reassignment surgery at 19.

Talackova told CTV she's "not giving up" and is consulting a lawyer. In the mean time, Miss Universe Canada has removed all photos of the Vancouver resident from their website and another woman has taken her spot.

Transgender Miss Universe Canada Finalist Jenna Talackova Disqualified From Competition

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLC©
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Customisbetter
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Read about this earlier. Kind of ....ty but the rules have been made.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Adam Of Angels
The GAS Man

Feedback Score: 116 reviews
She sure has nice hair for having been a male before. Not that males can't have nice hair, of course.

[Necris] 6:23 pm: "you will deal with the pork you recieve"
Adam Of Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
tacotiklah
I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have mixed feelings on this. I think the rules are pretty ....ty, but they were there in place and she wasn't completely straight up with them. I completely understand why she did what she did, and I think that this rule should not be in place, but again, they are.
I do appreciate the committee for trying to be respectful overall. I just don't see how her being born with a ..... should have ANY bearing whatsoever on how she can be eligible for a beauty contest. Hell, she even went forward and got SRS done so it's not like there's gonna be a ridiculous bulge the whole time. As far as I'm concerned she is 100% woman. Truthfully, I believe she was 100% woman mentally and internally since her birth, and just had the ....ty deal of being born in a dude's body. (not unlike myself tbvh)

I think instead of her lying on the application (although I think lying is a bit strong in this situation), she should have made an effort to get the rule repealed first. But outside of that, I support her completely in having a right to compete.

Here's some of my playing. Hear it in all it's "trv kvlt" production values...
https://soundcloud.com/shadowraithmetal

The Hand of Nod (PC build)
http://valid.x86.fr/762wfy

"I instantly transformed into Nopey McNoperson, mayor and lone inhabitant of Nopeville, capitol of Nope Dakota." - Grand Moff Tim
tacotiklah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't know how I feel about this. As a male, I kinda feel uncomfortable that the lines between male and female are kinda being blurred, but on the other hand I think it's unfair she can't be a part of something because society doesn't agree with her own personal choices, despite the fact they don't harm anyone else.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
ElRay
Mostly Harmless

I think I might need new glasses. I clicked on the thread expecting to see info about a winner disqualified in a TG pageant because she was a genetic female.

Ray

The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?
ElRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
troyguitar
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
The rules don't sound that clear to me. What does it mean to be a "naturally born female"? Does being born by C-section disqualify an entrant? What if one's parents are on some kind of fertility drugs or use something like IVF? What about babies born with male and female organs whose doctors/parents decide to have them go female? It's not quite a black and white statement.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Greatoliver
Looking to windward

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
The rules don't sound that clear to me. What does it mean to be a "naturally born female"? Does being born by C-section disqualify an entrant? What if one's parents are on some kind of fertility drugs or use something like IVF? What about babies born with male and female organs whose doctors/parents decide to have them go female? It's not quite a black and white statement.
You could test them genetically, which would solve a lot of the cases: XX or XY, which would give their "biological gender". You'd get problems if you had XXY, as I'm not quite sure if you form male or female sex organs. However gentically testing people is definitely not viable economically.

It seems like the Universe competition is about appearances etc., not actually about genetics so it seems a bit weird they've made this distinction. As GoP said, she did lie and there is the rule in place, even if it is questionable, and that's not good.

Interesting.
Greatoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
MFB
ExBendable

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Ugh oh, not sure if I should be attracted or afraid of myself for wanting to be attracted CURSE YOU SURGEONS, CURSE YOU!

exbendableart.com
MFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
pink freud
SS.org Regular

Like I said on HCPP, I'm more concerned with the pro-human bias in a supposed universal competition.
pink freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
tacotiklah
I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post
Ugh oh, not sure if I should be attracted or afraid of myself for wanting to be attracted CURSE YOU SURGEONS, CURSE YOU!

Well clearly this means that you're now gay and must march in parades and speak with a lisp for the rest of your life.

Or it could mean that you're a guy that knows beauty when you see it, and doesn't give a .... about what's under the hood....

"I instantly transformed into Nopey McNoperson, mayor and lone inhabitant of Nopeville, capitol of Nope Dakota." - Grand Moff Tim
Old 03-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
Jakke
Pretty wisdomous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Of Angels View Post
She sure has nice hair for having been a male before. Not that males can't have nice hair, of course.
I, for one, have very nice hair

OTT, this is a pretty stupid disqualification, she is obviously woman now. However, the rules are the rules, and there is not much to do about it right now.

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, -42 and BrainArt

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Emotions are for women, and gay children
Jakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
SpaceDock
Shred till your dead

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
If they disqualify this, they should disqualify all cosmetic surgery entries.

If that was a man, who knows what the real women looked like before. If anyone can just pay enough to become a beauty queen what's the point?

SpaceDock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
JamesM
The Armada

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I wonder what's going on down there. I'm intrigued as to the current state of things.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
Hemi-Powered Drone
Dragonblade629

The rule is there, true, but that doesn't make it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post
I wonder what's going on down there. I'm intrigued as to the current state of things.
I must admit to a similar intrigue.
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
Jakke
Pretty wisdomous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade629 View Post
I must admit to a similar intrigue.
Indeed...

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, -42 and BrainArt

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Emotions are for women, and gay children
Jakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #17
tacotiklah
I am Denko (´・ω・`)

^I know it crushed mine. So much for my gym membership.....

Old 03-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #18
groph
surrounded by chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstofperdition View Post
I have mixed feelings on this. I think the rules are pretty ....ty, but they were there in place and she wasn't completely straight up with them. I completely understand why she did what she did, and I think that this rule should not be in place, but again, they are.
I do appreciate the committee for trying to be respectful overall. I just don't see how her being born with a ..... should have ANY bearing whatsoever on how she can be eligible for a beauty contest. Hell, she even went forward and got SRS done so it's not like there's gonna be a ridiculous bulge the whole time. As far as I'm concerned she is 100% woman. Truthfully, I believe she was 100% woman mentally and internally since her birth, and just had the ....ty deal of being born in a dude's body. (not unlike myself tbvh)

I think instead of her lying on the application (although I think lying is a bit strong in this situation), she should have made an effort to get the rule repealed first. But outside of that, I support her completely in having a right to compete.
This sounds pretty reasonable to me, the rules should ideally be appealed. Even if she still doesn't get in, she'd be the one who allowed trans people in the future to get in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
I don't know how I feel about this. As a male, I kinda feel uncomfortable that the lines between male and female are kinda being blurred, but on the other hand I think it's unfair she can't be a part of something because society doesn't agree with her own personal choices, despite the fact they don't harm anyone else.
I'd just let go of the discomfort then, based on your second statement. Nothing states you don't have to be with trans people. Although granted, you'll look like a transphobe if you refuse to have sex with one because you want a ciswoman (a woman who is "biologically" female and has the social gender you'd expect) which is something I'd have a problem with as well, because if you don't want to have sex with someone you shouldn't be demonized because of it. If a dude doesn't want to bang a dude that shouldn't make him a homophobe. And I'm not trying to say that you were implying having sex with them, that's just where my mind instantly goes.. As far as "male" and "female" as social gender roles go, yeah, they're being blurred and I personally think that's a good thing. The biological distinctions are also being blurred simply because we're learning more and more through science and our social categories that correspond to scientific classifications of male and female are being revealed to be unstable and not conducive to a happy life for some people (like a trans person feeling forced to live in the wrong body out of fear).

Quote:
REALLY interesting points, where the .... do you want to "draw the line" that DOESN'T imply some kind of transphobia or homonegativity or dickheaded intolerance (I prefer unacceptance because "tolerance" is such a low standard of coexistence)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatoliver View Post
You could test them genetically, which would solve a lot of the cases: XX or XY, which would give their "biological gender". You'd get problems if you had XXY, as I'm not quite sure if you form male or female sex organs. However gentically testing people is definitely not viable economically.

It seems like the Universe competition is about appearances etc., not actually about genetics so it seems a bit weird they've made this distinction. As GoP said, she did lie and there is the rule in place, even if it is questionable, and that's not good.

Interesting.
On the first paragraph, they test athletes genetically and they disqualify people who don't match up like you'd expect. I'm not sure if these tests account for XXX or XXY people, and chromosomal makeup has no bearing on your behaviour anyway.

About the second paragraph, I think you nailed it. On the one hand it's a celebration of traditional heteropatriarchal (feminist speak for "the kind of heterosexuality you're used to that you don't have to question") female beauty standards so no matter who they let in, the contest is in a sense all about objectification and holding women to a specific standard. So what, SHAME ON THE TRANS WOMAN FOR WANTING TO BE PRETTY! GAAARGH I'M A RADICAL FEMINIST ROAAAR!

On the other hand, that's bull..... Looking traditionally feminine is not a bad ....ing thing and that's the whole point. When it comes down to it, yeah it IS a competition based on appearances but the problem is not what the appearance itself is, it's the meaning a particular appearance has to society. What are the ideal measurements, 36-24-36 or something like that? Why? Why is that a standard? Personally I find bigger chicks attractive and I've also found skinnier, "tubular" as in not hour-glass shaped women attractive as well so any kind of natural, evolutionary reaction to a certain shape of a woman's body kind of goes out the window. Standards change with time - there is old art that depicts women with ....loads of cellulite as attractive.

Quote:
Also, those are some damn good surgeons:
Word. She's ....ing gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post
Pretty sure they turn it inside out, stuff it back inside, and then use a small portion of the head as a clitoris. I think your scrote becomes ......l lips. I can feel safe to assume that one wouldn't be able to self-lubricate like a "natural" female can (for that matter, some "natural" women can't anyway). I guess if one were to get jiggy with a trans person, you'd just have to approach things differently. But for that matter, you approach everybody differently so from that point of view it's not even that big of a deal - what we're all hung up over is that these people are still somehow "male" or "female" and that conflicts with who we're supposed to want to be with.

EDIT:

That's a better face shot of her, and actually yeah I can kind of see the male face underneath. I shouldn't be saying "male" face, I should be saying "androgynous" face. Look up some male-to-female transformation videos on Youtube, you'll be surprised at how a relatively slight-featured male face can transform into a face that passes perfectly for our current female beauty standard. If nobody told you the person was actually a guy or is trans, you wouldn't even know differently. I'd just think that I'd be looking at a woman with a strong-ish chin or sharper cheekbones or a longer nose or sturdier jaw, all are features I've seen ciswomen with so really I'm just applying "masculine" and "feminine" cultural meanings to certain facial features. Go figure.
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
Explorer
He seldomly knows...

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Is a beauty pageant a place of public accommodation? If not, what is there to appeal?

If this is a private event (not publicly funded), even if it's broadcast, then I don't think a legal challenge can succeed.

I find it humorous that the Gay Games discriminate against straight athletes.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
Xaios
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
I find it humorous that the Gay Games discriminate against straight athletes.
Haven't you heard? You have to be born naturally gay in order to compete in those. If you became gay later in life, they disqualify you.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #21
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by groph View Post
I'd just let go of the discomfort then, based on your second statement. Nothing states you don't have to be with trans people. Although granted, you'll look like a transphobe if you refuse to have sex with one because you want a ciswoman (a woman who is "biologically" female and has the social gender you'd expect) which is something I'd have a problem with as well, because if you don't want to have sex with someone you shouldn't be demonized because of it. If a dude doesn't want to bang a dude that shouldn't make him a homophobe. And I'm not trying to say that you were implying having sex with them, that's just where my mind instantly goes.. As far as "male" and "female" as social gender roles go, yeah, they're being blurred and I personally think that's a good thing. The biological distinctions are also being blurred simply because we're learning more and more through science and our social categories that correspond to scientific classifications of male and female are being revealed to be unstable and not conducive to a happy life for some people (like a trans person feeling forced to live in the wrong body out of fear).
Any discomfort I have I disregard when it comes to the rights of others. I wouldn't feel right telling someone they can't be who they want to be if it's not hurting anyone. It'snot fair to oppress like that. My discomforts (which aren't that extreme, I'm not gonna freak out or anything around transgenders ) are personal to me, and I would not let them effect others.

As for that sex thing, yeah I wouldn't be able to have intercourse with someone who used to be a man. I suppose I'm old fashioned, but that would make me feel uncomfortable. Wouldn't stop me being friends with them, but when it comes to sex for me it's how you were born that matters.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #22
Konfyouzd
Dread-I Master

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I mean... If she's a chick now, she's a chick. But I guess the rules are the rules...? :-\

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
Deadnightshade
U gonna eat that?

skip to 1:21 for my reaction

Die.Get cremated.Laugh your ash off..
Deadnightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
JamesM
The Armada

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
@Groph -- I've actually watched one of the surgeries. It's astounding. The one I saw (they showed it after healing) actually looked like a damn vag!

I'm not going to run in circles here. If it works down there, I'd definitely smang it. She's gorgeous! Rules are rules though.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #25
Xaios
Foolish Mortal

Good that she had it done when she did. I have a buddy who's dad got a sex change later in life and became a woman. Needless to say, being the biological son of "two mommies" really threw him for a mental loop. He was really sensitive about that particular conversation topic, so we knew NOT to bring it up, or even dare poke fun at it.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote