homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Movies, Books, TV & Media
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
Movies, Books, TV & Media Read or watch something new? Discuss it here.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
jsl2h90
Awaiting Boden8

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The Classic Horror Movie Appreciation Thread (Remakes Frowned Upon!)

Every horror fan knows the early 70's to late 80's was the golden age of cinema horror. Movies like Halloween, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Last House on the Left, Black Christmas, The Exorcist, Friday the 13th, and The Thing defined the face of horror during this period and forever altered what we as fans expect in a horror movie.

Sadly, the making of memorable and frightening horror films are much less frequent these days. It seems the state of horror today is an endless stream of (mostly terrible) remakes of the classics. As a horror movie collector I'm always keeping an eye out for the next great gem. Every kind of media and time period of horror discussion is welcome here and I realize that terms like "best" and "greatest" are subjective; but know that my main aim is to find those truly original and classic horror films that really enrich the genre. Remakes as stated, are frowned upon but as usual, there are always exceptions. As an example of my taste I'll include some of my favorites other than those mentioned earlier:

From Beyond
Fright Night
Re-Animator
Demons
Poltergeist (I and II)
Friday the 13th (Parts 1-6)
Martyrs
High Tension
Halloween (1-4)
The Ugly
The Evil Dead (I and II)
I Spit on Your Grave
Maniac Cop
Scanners
The Fly
American Psycho
Hellraiser
The Audition
Suspiria
Scream (1-4)
Creepshow
Phantasm (I and II)
Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead
Psycho
Dead Alive

On a side note I have to say that years of watching and collecting horror movies have yielded quite a few duds, some of which it would be criminal not to mention, as they are so bad that you can't seem to look away. This is another joy of being a horror fan, "bad" horror movies are sometimes some of the most fun to watch. For example:

Troll 2
Rumpelstiltskin
Devon's Ghost: Legend of the Bloody Boy (featuring 2 original power rangers... )
Leprechaun 4: In Space

You get the idea. I'd love to hear of some more of these horror movie blunders just for laughs. Lastly, I want to mention that I'm not a big exploitation fan unless it actually creates elevation in the movie (ie Martyrs), so if you're into stuff like "A Serbian Film" this probably isnt the place for that. Cheers!

-In Maya's Grip, Illusion Transforms Verity...
-Will sell every piece of gear I have for an 8-string Jackson soloist (JSL2H8?)
jsl2h90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Blake1970
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool thread! I love horror movies. I just recently watched Alien and it still gave me chills.
Blake1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
The Grief Hole
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I love the movie 'the devil rides out' with Christopher lee and Charles Gray. I think its one of the best British horrors and is all the better having dated.

I would also recommend another brit classic called 'Night Of The Demon', but stay away if you dont like black and white. Also the Italian movie 'The House Of Laughing Windows' is superb and has one of the most perverse endings.

Having lived in England most of my life I was denied the awesomness of 'tombs Of the blind dead' which has graced many doom eps. It has a fantastic soundtrack. Saw it when I came to Japan.

I couldn't recommend these films more highly. Enjoy.

What doesn't kill you just really, really hurts you.
The Grief Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
mcleanab
Theta Sagan Swords

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
John Carpenter's THE PRINCE OF DARKNESS.

Prince of Darkness - YouTube

Scared the crap out of me when I was 16. Had nightmares for years. Even if I watch it now I get creeped out.

One of my theatre teachers Joanna Merlin is in it as a freaky homeless woman...

=========================================
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Impression, ISP Theta Combo, ISP Theta PRO, Aria Diamond with EMG 85, Ibanez Semi-Hollow with EMG HA and HAX, Charvel Wild Card Pro Mod #6 Dreamsicle with EMG 57 and SAVX, Charvel SD-1 HS with EMG 57 and SAV!
mcleanab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Louis Cypher
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Great thread!! I LOVE Classic horror!!!
Though I would say there have been THREE Golden Ages of Classic Horror:

1st Age
German Expressionist/Universal Era:
Likes of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Vampyr, Der Golem or Nosferatu and then all the classic Universal pics with Karloff, Lugosi, Chaney & Chaney Jnr (Wolfman/The Mummy, Frankenstein, The Raven, Black Cat) they all set the standard for everythign after them

2nd Age
Late 50/Early 60's - Hammer/Corman/Early Italian horror
Horror in glorious Technicolor! List is too long and very distinguished but to sum it up in two names..... Mr Lee & Mr Cushing

3rd Age
Late 70's/Early 80's
All the films you mentioned already. Omen, Rosemary baby, Texas Chainsaw...

Few on your list are like very late 90's films like the Audition but such a good film who cares! Late 90's early naughties Japanese Horror was top of its game.... before all the bl00dy american remakes....
Louis Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Randy
‡‡INITIALIZING‡‡
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
As a lover of horror movies, it's hard for me to even start to make any recommendations.

Cinemassacre in general, but especially Monster Madness and ESPECIALLY 2009 has some essentials:

2009 Monster Madness Three | Cinemassacre Productions

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLC©
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
ibanezcollector
Gear Junkie

Trilogy Of Terror

Basket Case

April Fools Day

man I love old horror movies.

littledoc"Oh and if I WERE looking for trades, it most definitely wouldn't be an acoustic. I'm trying to sell my guitar, not my nuts!"
ibanezcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

The Thing is probably my favourite. Brilliant film.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
jsl2h90
Awaiting Boden8

@ibanezcollector
I've heard of April Fools day. Amazon here I come!
As for Basket Case, what a ridiculous movie, gotta love Frank Hennenlotter. Ever seen Brain Damage, also done by him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanab View Post
John Carpenter's THE PRINCE OF DARKNESS.
I JUST downloaded that 2 days ago on a recommendation. I'm gonna watch it tonight. John Carpenter + Donald Pleasance is never a bad combo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Cypher View Post
Great thread!! I LOVE Classic horror!!!
Though I would say there have been THREE Golden Ages of Classic Horror:
Thank you! I'm very new to the pre-60's horror but I'm working on it and I appreciate any recommendations. As for my inclusion of some late 90's stuff, I do like a few newer horror movies. Glad you like Japanese horror too. I'm not into much of it but I really like The Audition, I thought it was much more deserving of praise than its counterparts Ringu and the Grudge.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Louis Cypher
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl2h90 View Post
Thank you! I'm very new to the pre-60's horror but I'm working on it and I appreciate any recommendations. As for my inclusion of some late 90's stuff, I do like a few newer horror movies. Glad you like Japanese horror too. I'm not into much of it but I really like The Audition, I thought it was much more deserving of praise than its counterparts Ringu and the Grudge.
The old stuff is so good too much to recommend really but if you are new to it all then that is a bit easier, if talking 50's/60's then Hammer Dracula is a must as is the first two Frankenstein films, Plague of Zombies, Devil Rides out, Roger Corman & Vincent Price's Edgar Alan Poe films are fantastic, Pit & the Pendulum especially. Blood on Satan's claw.... Witchfinder General is great. Curse of the Werewolf is only Oliver Reeds second film very worth a watch

Older than that, Karloff as Frankenstein in the original, Bride of... & Son of... The Raven & The Black cat, I love the Wolfman its not as widely loved as Frankenstein but its def a favourite of mine. Dr Caligari is amazing silent film! incredible and very art deco in set design and that. There the basics but there are so many, ohh White Zombie is a good one too (where Rob got the band name from!!)
Louis Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
SenorDingDong
Smeller of Smells

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
It isn't exactly a classic, but since some of the movies you posted are more modern, I'll bring up May.

One of the best movies I've ever seen, and also one of the most twisted.

Also, talking classics:

Bad Taste
Zombi (Fulci)
Tenebre
Chopping Mall
Maniac
Hell High
American Gothic
The Beyond
City of the Living Dead
Creepshow
Videodrone
Scanners
Sleepaway Camp

Too many good ones to name.

No signature because censored blah blah blah.
SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
Konfyouzd
Dread-I Master

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The Fog
Evil Dead

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
Explorer
He seldomly knows...

Let's see... what hasn't been mentioned which I love?

Ravenous
Hostel I & II
Cloverfield

Lastly, what I *really* love...

Quote:
Every horror fan knows the mid 70's to late 80's was the golden age of cinema horror. Movies like Halloween, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Last House on the Left, Black Christmas, The Exorcist, Friday the 13th, and The Thing defined the face of horror during this period and forever altered what we as fans expect in a horror movie.
...is that, in spite of your title line, two of the movies you listed in your first paragraph are remakes, as well as at least one in your later list. *laugh*

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
jsl2h90
Awaiting Boden8

^As far as I know, the only remake in the first paragraph is The Thing. And of course technically speaking, Evil Dead II is a remake, then you've got The Fly. But I also stated there are always exceptions. To clarify, I'm talking about the remake craze that's currently going on in the genre since the 2000's, you've got Friday the 13th/Halloween/TCM/Dawn of the Dead/Fright Night etc. being redone and they're all for the most part unworthy of the originals. Thank god they haven't touched The Shining or the Exorcist yet. /knocks on wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWGriebel View Post
It isn't exactly a classic, but since some of the movies you posted are more modern, I'll bring up May.

One of the best movies I've ever seen, and also one of the most twisted.

Tenebre
Chopping Mall
Hell High
American Gothic
The Beyond
City of the Living Dead
Videodrone
Sleepaway Camp
These are the ones I haven't seen that you mentioned. I really couldn't get into Zombie because of the dragging pace and the zombie vs. shark thing. I guess I'm a Romero guy. Tenebre is Argento related if I'm not mistaken so I have to take the time to see that one, along with Phenomena... I'm not sure if you've seen that one. May seems interesting, I've never been impressed by horror movies with female leads except for 3 french movies: Inside, Martyrs, and High Tension. All 3 are just visceral, over the top and have great acting and story along with your standard fare of gore and scares.

Speaking of female leads, a lot people give so much credit to the movie Ginger Snaps and I don't get the hype. The first 45 minutes of the movie is about a girl getting her first period lol.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
Randy
‡‡INITIALIZING‡‡
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Speaking of which:

CineMassacre: Top 10 Horror Remakes | Free Video Clips | SPIKE

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLC©
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
SenorDingDong
Smeller of Smells

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
^As far as I know, the only remake in the first paragraph is The Thing. And of course technically speaking, Evil Dead II is a remake, then you've got The Fly. But I also stated there are always exceptions. To clarify, I'm talking about the remake craze that's currently going on in the genre since the 2000's, you've got Friday the 13th/Halloween/TCM/Dawn of the Dead/Fright Night etc. being redone and they're all for the most part unworthy of the originals. Thank god they haven't touched The Shining or the Exorcist yet. /knocks on wood

These are the ones I haven't seen that you mentioned. I really couldn't get into Zombie because of the dragging pace and the zombie vs. shark thing. I guess I'm a Romero guy. Tenebre is Argento related if I'm not mistaken so I have to take the time to see that one, along with Phenomena... I'm not sure if you've seen that one. May seems interesting, I've never been impressed by horror movies with female leads except for 3 french movies: Inside, Martyrs, and High Tension. All 3 are just visceral, over the top and have great acting and story along with your standard fare of gore and scares.

Speaking of female leads, a lot people give so much credit to the movie Ginger Snaps and I don't get the hype. The first 45 minutes of the movie is about a girl getting her first period lol.
Yes, Tenebre is an Argento film. I haven't seen Phenomena yet (even though I've had a strange thing for seeing Jennifer Connelly films ever since I saw the Labyrinth) but I've always wanted to check it out.

May is amazing. It's just... I love Angela Bettis, and that movie made me want to marry her

It's twisted and weird and just everything I love in a horror film.

EDIT: Oh, and as for Ginger Snaps; I love it. The reason they spent so much time on her "period" isn't because she was having her period; it was because she was changing after the bite, little by little, starting with sexual urges and whatnot. I love it because it has the creepy coming of age thing going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
One that they didn't mention that I actually enjoyed (I normally steer clear of remakes, but how can you not see a movie with Monica Keena in it?) was the remake of Night of the Demons.

Loved first to Night of the Demon films, and the remake actually captured what made those movies so much fun to watch.

No signature because censored blah blah blah.
SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #17
jsl2h90
Awaiting Boden8

I just watched Prince of Darkness the other day, and I have to say I was pretty impressed. I also picked up Let the Right One In, and that one is a new favorite for me.

I forgot to include in my OP one of my all time favorites, Santa Sangre. Such a breath of fresh air to see surrealism mixed with horror. Jodorowsky is the man.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #18
The Grief Hole
SS.org Regular

Nice one. I love Jodorowsky's movies. The Holy Mountain is a mind blower. Nice to see the love for Prince Of Darkness as well. A real gem.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #19
The Grief Hole
SS.org Regular

If you like asian horror check out The Seventh Curse. Has Chow Yu Fat in it and is the product of a writer with ADD.
The trailer is on youtube. As a plus it also features one of the hottest asian women I've ever seen... In a wet tshirt..... And then naked.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #20
jsl2h90
Awaiting Boden8

^Will do. I dont know if these are necessarily horror, but i bought them during one of my horror movie buying sprees: Oldboy and Ichi the Killer. The former is the superior flick by far and a real head ..... Ichi is just weird all around but good J-horror and done by the same guy that made The Audition.

I bought The Holy Mountain on blu-ray about a month ago and still haven't watched it for some reason. I absolutely loved El Topo and Santa Sangre though. But now i've gotten totally off the subject of horror hehe...

I neglected to mention i'm big into buying all of my movies on blu-ray if possible, and proud to say i'm one of the 3000 owners of original Fright Night on Blu-ray and the transfer is pristine for the most part and far superior to the DVD. I'd say it was worth the $100 i spent on it.... Unless it gets a non-exclusive blu release from a major studio and ends up at walmart for $10. Then i'll just feel stupid lol

Old 02-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #21
ittoa666
/)'3'(\

I love the Evil Dead series, anything with zombies, and just about everything John Carpenter has made. The cheesy movies are always great, too, especially if the special effects are complete .....

I just remembered...I still need to watch the original Black Christmas.

Ride the wings of death!

"Seriously... You DO NOT headbang with your knees" Murmel

ittoa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:03 AM   #22
TRENCHLORD
Banned

Quote:
Thank god they haven't touched The Shining or the Exorcist yet. /knocks on wood
Sorry, I also wish there wasn't lol.

TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #23
jsl2h90
Awaiting Boden8

@TRENCHLORD
I spoke too soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittoa666 View Post
I love the Evil Dead series, anything with zombies, and just about everything John Carpenter has made. The cheesy movies are always great, too, especially if the special effects are complete .....

I just remembered...I still need to watch the original Black Christmas.
Black Christmas is amazing, although I wish there was a bit more backstory on the killer but that's just me. Carpenter is the man, I think FX wise The Thing STILL sets the bar for what a horror movie should look like.

Speaking of cheese, anyone a fan of Cabin Fever? I love that one, it starts of relatively serious and then just takes a nose dive of hilarity once you hit the end. Oh, and did I mention...

PANCAKES..... PANCAKES..... PAAAANCAKES!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #24
The Grief Hole
SS.org Regular

The Shining remake was something King had wanted todo for a long time. Whilst I like the kubrick version it contains very few of the nightmarish moments of the book.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #25
jsl2h90
Awaiting Boden8

I hear the book is scary, and I believe it based on my experience with King's other work. "It" is probably the scariest thing i've read. I'm reading H.P. Lovecrafts "Tales" compilation at the moment and his stories are pretty frightening too.