homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Desi
You can't handle me!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ed Roman passes away.

WOW...

Just read the news at the TGP forums...then went to his official site.

It's legit.

I am a very sympathetic person, therefore I cannot say I am happy..or can scoff and think "oh, he had it coming". Despite all the horror stories I read about him, I can never even dislike him...perhaps I'm just too soft.

I know many on here dislike him...but I'll say it anyways...

R.I.P, Mr. Ed Roman.

Y'all know what time it is!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Xaios
Foolish Mortal

There's already been a thread in Off Topic. Said thread has already been locked.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Konfyouzd
Dread-I Master

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Repost. It didn't go well the first time.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Desi
You can't handle me!

REALLY??? I'm so sorry, guys.

I had a feeling this might've been a repost..but I could not find the original thread...I now know why.

Ok, please shut this down, then.

Again, I apologize.

Y'all know what time it is!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
MatthewK
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Wow! He didn't seem like the most healthy guy in the world, but it's still a shock to hear this. Guitar forums will never be the same without tales of the infamous Ed Roman. Whatever he may have been like it's certainly not enough for me to wish any ill towards him. R.I.P.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Don Vito
★ball pit commitee★

I've stumbled onto his website in the past, but never really knew anything about him until now.

What a character...
Old 12-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
-One-
Not So Kool-Aid

The guitar world is better for this loss, but we should still mourn his passing.

RIP.

"I wonder if Kurt rolls his eyes everytime we come up with a new idea. 'Oh no. Not ss.org, again. NOW WHAT?'" - I_infect
"For all we know is some super bass wizard the likes of which hasn't been seen since Gandalf invented the bass." - heavy7-665
Old 12-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
GuitaristOfHell
The Optimist Prime.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Never heard of him toll now.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
DrakkarTyrannis
WWSD?

Meh, good riddance.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #10
Xaios
Foolish Mortal

Hmm, thread got moved. I guess the mods decided to give it a second kick at the can.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #11
Maniacal
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Who's Ed Roman?

Books, posters, play along lessons and apps!

I teach on Skype - If you purchased my books, first lesson is free!

http://www.shredtraining.com

Please subscribe to my YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/shredtraining
Old 12-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
Fred the Shred
Shrederick

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Ed Roman: www.edroman.com

A quick read of his amazing articles regarding guitar construction and a quick search for testimonials will give you an idea as to why he was so passionately trolled by half the internet. In short, he had the business practices and the same discourse as those incredibly sleazy car salesmen you'll see in 70's movies.

There are many people with that sort of thing going on, but Ed managed to rise to mythical status and provide massive laughter for years. I have to confess I'll miss some of his more passionate, full of bull.... articles (that would invariably suggest you buy one of his guitars, of course).

Buy my album, will you? My store | CDBaby
FredBrum.com
Happily endorsed by Caparison Guitars, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gruv Gear, Sik Pik Picks, PHD Picks and Spectraflex cables
Old 12-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
Deadnightshade
U gonna eat that?

Imagine,just imagine,if there's afterlife,Ed Roman arguing with Les Paul about the Gibson LP headstock design problem

Die.Get cremated.Laugh your ash off..
Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #14
Konfyouzd
Dread-I Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnightshade View Post
Imagine,just imagine,if there's afterlife,Ed Roman arguing with Les Paul about the Gibson LP headstock design problem

"You know I can build a better one, right?"

Old 12-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
USMarine75
Doc McStuffins

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
But, who will I buy my JEM copy from now?

"You may wonder why you never hear about this in any of the guitar magazines !!!! Simple Answer !!! The magazines wouldn't dare piss off all their advertisers and print anything that they are trying to keep from the public. Printing these stories like I have been doing for 15 years now makes me a very unpopular person with my competitors and gets me bashed on a lot of the forums by paid company shills who will start a thread with some nonsensical lie to try and discredit me. (Ralph Nader was a pretty unpopular guy too) They wish they could sue me but they can't because the truth is and always has been my defense!! "
Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #16
Don Vito
★ball pit commitee★

"I am not a racist and I have nothing against the Asian race. However I do hate large corporations whether they be American, German or Asian. I hate how they use brainwashing techniques to sell their products.
"Bayer Aspirin" (Nazi's) "Mitsubishi" (Bombers from Pearl Harbor)"

He's one of 'those' people. And why is my text appearing in red???
Old 12-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
Hemi-Powered Drone
Dragonblade629

His rants were definitely...interesting. At one minute I could be laughing uncontrollably, the next I'd be pissed off at him.

Gotta love his "Gibson necks always break!" rant.

Guitar Repair Las Vegas, Broken Gibson Guitars - Poorly Designed and Overpriced

Shame I never got to show him my Epiphone Les Paul that I've had since I was nine.

Sadly, there won't be any more. Let's hope he's yelling at god over the structure and breaking of human necks.

EDIT-Wait, what if he had an heir? A recluse possibly even crazier than he is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMarine75 View Post
Ralph Nader was a pretty unpopular guy too
He voted for Nader.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #18
Konfyouzd
Dread-I Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedyblake View Post
"I am not a racist and I have nothing against the Asian race. However I do hate large corporations whether they be American, German or Asian. I hate how they use brainwashing techniques to sell their products.
"Bayer Aspirin" (Nazi's) "Mitsubishi" (Bombers from Pearl Harbor)"

He's one of 'those' people. And why is my text appearing in red???
Once it turns pink you've reached critical mass and are doomed to publicly humiliate yourself in a fury of blind rage toward all things SS.org... I done seen it...

Old 12-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #19
Dan_Vacant
Hi I'm Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade629 View Post
His rants were definitely...interesting. At one minute I could be laughing uncontrollably, the next I'd be pissed off at him.

Gotta love his "Gibson necks always break!" rant.

Guitar Repair Las Vegas, Broken Gibson Guitars - Poorly Designed and Overpriced

Shame I never got to show him my Epiphone Les Paul that I've had since I was nine.

Sadly, there won't be any more. Let's hope he's yelling at god over the structure and breaking of human necks.

EDIT-Wait, what if he had an heir? A recluse possibly even crazier than he is?

He voted for Nader.
That is epiphone though he said epihone necks are even better then gibson necks.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #20
guitareben
SS.org Regular

RIP Roman

Might have been a dodgy guy, but seriously, it's not great that he died (dying is never, ever a good thing).
Old 12-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #21
synrgy
Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Vacant View Post
That is epiphone though he said epihone necks are even better then gibson necks.
Yeah, having little to do with anything, I'll say that I've only had a few friends with broken guitar necks over the years, but every last one of those guitars was a Gibson Les Paul. Same location of the break, where the neck meets the headstock, every time.

That "rumor" has nothing to do with Roman, so far as I know, and isn't really a rumor at all. It's just something that happens a lot. You'll see tons of photos if you do a Google image search.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. I missed the first thread entirely and hadn't heard this happened. While my one interaction with Mr Roman was less-than-pleasant (I called to inquire about a PRS once in 1996..) I still very much hope that his death came without suffering, and that his soul finds rest in whatever after-life there may or may not be out there. More importantly, I hope those people whom he's sure to have left behind are able to mourn his passing peacefully.

So long, Ed, and thanks for all the entertainment.

If you like electronic music, check me out.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #22
gs20
ss.org Regular

just saying.

wow........a friend told me this morning that old Ed had a double heart attack and left the planet and i actually felt a bit of a loss.........then when i went to look him up and realized the level of vitreol about him i just felt compelled to respond and i'll tell you why........i met Ed in 7th or 8th grade in Danbury, CT a long time a go and whatever he became as a businessman, i gotta tell you, he wasn't always like that, not at all.......when we were growing up in high school and all that, he was a pretty much stand up guy........i think i know why he turned to the dark side as it were if in fact some of the things people have said about him are true, and i have no reason to doubt them all..........he simply felt at some point after we left school that he would never become the guitar player he wanted to be..........there were other reasons as well.........falling under the spell of an already unscrupulous businessman to the point of opening his own store at the other end of Main St from that guys store......this "mentor" by the way, much more accomplished at deception than Ed would ever alledgedly be.........being given the opportunity to do a light show for a concert instead of playing in one........that of course blossomed into renting or leasing equipment to eventually, pretty high end musicians......partners that came and went that were already greedier than he would ever become.........if he burned people, he clearly, to my mind, learned from the best..........all that and no real father figure of any consequence to stop him.........he was truly Fagin's child.........so, in short, whatever your personal history with Ed or whatever you've heard, don't be so quick to judge..........say what you will but i remember a gawky ginger kid who stood shoulder to shoulder with me and our buddies one day and successfully fought off the baddest bullies in town and was so effective that he broke a couple of knuckles........and to this day, as the old beat up soldier that i am, i'm glad he was there.........we took different paths in life to be sure but he was..........my friend.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #23
Fred the Shred
Shrederick

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
And that is pretty much why I insist on keeping stuff within certain bounds. To me, not knowing the man in person, what he represented was a slew of hilarious, almost car salesman like articles. The bad reviews were something I took in as information, but I won't lie - I spent quite some time laughing heartily at some of his most inflamed outbursts about other musical instrument companies, and will most certainly miss them.

To others, he was a horror story they had to deal with only to get stiffed, or witness poor crafstmanship and some absolutely unacceptable instruments.

To others still, he was either family or a friend. Compared to the mass of people that know all about the dodgy practices through reviews and the like, they are very few and far between. They still deserve respect though, and above my post is the proof that they can, and will, read a lot of what is being said about the subject online, and I'm hoping this thread won't turn into the mess the previous one did.

Buy my album, will you? My store | CDBaby
FredBrum.com
Happily endorsed by Caparison Guitars, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gruv Gear, Sik Pik Picks, PHD Picks and Spectraflex cables
Old 12-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #24
DrakkarTyrannis
WWSD?

Seriously? When you treat people horribly, don't expect people to say nice things about you..it really is that simple. EVERYBODY has family somewhere..that doesn't excuse people making deliberate choices to do negative things. For many, Ed was an asshole, so you're going to hear about it more because he died..that's life..some people have bad things to say, some have good things to say...depending on the type of person you are, one type of view outweighs the other.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #25
Konfyouzd
Dread-I Master

That, and if e-rep means nothing then neither does any other negative thing some random anonymous person on the internet has to say about you unless what they say in some way directly affects your livelihood and/or lifestyle.

Closed Thread