homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
  
Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
djpharoah
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
 
djpharoah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cali'
Posts: 13,610
Thanked: 335
Feedback Score: 141 reviews
NGD: Jackson Soloist Project Guitar

Snagged this off ebay on a total impulse purchase mode and want to make it a project guitar but not sure what to do with it. It's got a heavily modified OFR and a dimarzio air norton s in the neck. I was thinking of putting in emgs or something unique...

The previous owner tried to put on a pickguard and drilled the holes into the poor soloist.

Here are some pics - not sure yet if I'll keep it for long enough to invest in refinishing it or just plug the holes with screws and rock out on it.







djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
DTay47
SS.org Regular
 
DTay47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London, ON
Posts: 240
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What kind of pickguard was he planning on putting in?! He drilled holes all over that poor thing... I hope you got a great price for it! The finish looks great. What has been modified about the floyd, new block I think I see?
DTay47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
djpharoah
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
 
djpharoah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cali'
Posts: 13,610
Thanked: 335
Feedback Score: 141 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTay47 View Post
What kind of pickguard was he planning on putting in?! He drilled holes all over that poor thing... I hope you got a great price for it! The finish looks great. What has been modified about the floyd, new block I think I see?
Yeah - the pickguard he tried to put on was something he made because no one makes pickguards for soloists.

The floyds got a big L brass block, titanium string blocks, SS screws and saddle clamps and SS nut screws.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
ImBCRichBitch
SS.org Regular
 
ImBCRichBitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dillon, SC
Posts: 723
Thanked: 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
Snagged this off ebay on a total impulse purchase mode and want to make it a project guitar but not sure what to do with it. It's got a heavily modified OFR and a dimarzio air norton s in the neck. I was thinking of putting in emgs or something unique...
I think its gonna come out great man. I got a few suggestions, takem if they sound good. Refinish it, Put some Seymore duncans or EMGs in it, or put a SD Blackout bucker in the bridge and 2 blackout singles in the neck and mid and use it for detuning

Every guitarist on earth should have a Telecaster, even if you hate Fender

I would drag my bollocks through a mile of glass to hear you fart into a walkie talkie - M3RK MUS1C video
ImBCRichBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
djpharoah
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
 
djpharoah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cali'
Posts: 13,610
Thanked: 335
Feedback Score: 141 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBCRichBitch View Post
I think its gonna come out great man. I got a few suggestions, takem if they sound good. Refinish it, Put some Seymore duncans or EMGs in it, or put a SD Blackout bucker in the bridge and 2 blackout singles in the neck and mid and use it for detuning
I'd love to refinish it - but the quotes I've been getting are like $700+
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
IB-studjent-
SS.org Regular
 
IB-studjent-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 743
Thanked: 27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A DY swirl finish is in order. DO IT NOW MESH !!!!!
IB-studjent- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
djpharoah
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
 
djpharoah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cali'
Posts: 13,610
Thanked: 335
Feedback Score: 141 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB-studjent- View Post
A DY swirl finish is in order. DO IT NOW MESH !!!!!
Never been a fan of swirls - most come out looking like puke. That and swirls are definitely an Ibanez thing.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
myampslouder
SS.org Regular
 
myampslouder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 1,660
Thanked: 40
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Sounds like a perfect candidate for a nice flamed natural finish with a flamed maple veneer
myampslouder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
djpharoah
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
 
djpharoah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cali'
Posts: 13,610
Thanked: 335
Feedback Score: 141 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by myampslouder View Post
Sounds like a perfect candidate for a nice flamed natural finish with a flamed maple veneer
I never like natural finishes unless stained - def going with a solid finish.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Into Obsidian
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
 
Into Obsidian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 745
Thanked: 10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
.... man, throw some pups in it and keep it the way it is
Into Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
IB-studjent-
SS.org Regular
 
IB-studjent-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 743
Thanked: 27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would go for black with little specs of glitter. that would look awesome
IB-studjent- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
mikernaut
pixel pusher
 
mikernaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Madison WI
Posts: 2,788
Thanked: 101
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
neon pink, neon green, metallic silver , silverburst
mikernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
Pooluke41
H. Maddas
 
Pooluke41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 2,257
Thanked: 88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Paint the Neck like your Rep Bar,

That would look epic,


Pooluke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #14
ImBCRichBitch
SS.org Regular
 
ImBCRichBitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dillon, SC
Posts: 723
Thanked: 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
I'd love to refinish it - but the quotes I've been getting are like $700+
you could DIY with supplies from like home depot

Every guitarist on earth should have a Telecaster, even if you hate Fender

I would drag my bollocks through a mile of glass to hear you fart into a walkie talkie - M3RK MUS1C video
ImBCRichBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #15
troyguitar
SS.org Regular
 
troyguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lawrenceburg, KY
Posts: 8,984
Thanked: 66
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
I'd love to refinish it - but the quotes I've been getting are like $700+
This is why I stayed away from the SL2H-7 run. I'd be putting in enough money that it would cost the same as a full custom but not be exactly what I wanted

I'd probably throw a bridge pickup in this thing and play it as it is. Or leave it exactly how it is with just a neck humbucker and call it the Jazz Soloist
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #16
djpharoah
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
 
djpharoah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cali'
Posts: 13,610
Thanked: 335
Feedback Score: 141 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
This is why I stayed away from the SL2H-7 run. I'd be putting in enough money that it would cost the same as a full custom but not be exactly what I wanted

I'd probably throw a bridge pickup in this thing and play it as it is. Or leave it exactly how it is with just a neck humbucker and call it the Jazz Soloist
Well the finish I was quoting for the $700 was like an epic Nasa Nebula apinting. $350 is the cost of a normal solid color refinish for a neck thru.


I might just get some black screws and put them in.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #17
troyguitar
SS.org Regular
 
troyguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lawrenceburg, KY
Posts: 8,984
Thanked: 66
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
haha yeah well I wanted an epic trans purple or green or blue finish so my refin was going to involve basically destroying the whole guitar and rebuilding it with a maple top and headstock veneer, plus changing all of the hardware to gold. I'm sure it would have added $2000 at least if anyone was even willing to do it. Now I'm getting ready to just have Warmoth do it for half the price. No sharkfins though

The black screws idea is probably best for this thing. It looks like everything else is in good shape.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
djpharoah
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
 
djpharoah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cali'
Posts: 13,610
Thanked: 335
Feedback Score: 141 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
haha yeah well I wanted an epic trans purple or green or blue finish so my refin was going to involve basically destroying the whole guitar and rebuilding it with a maple top and headstock veneer, plus changing all of the hardware to gold. I'm sure it would have added $2000 at least if anyone was even willing to do it. Now I'm getting ready to just have Warmoth do it for half the price. No sharkfins though

The black screws idea is probably best for this thing. It looks like everything else is in good shape.
That's not a refinish man that's another custom Also Warmoth does 25.5" neck thru guitars now in 7 strings?
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #19
troyguitar
SS.org Regular
 
troyguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lawrenceburg, KY
Posts: 8,984
Thanked: 66
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Yeah it's not the same as a soloist at all but I like a lot of guitars, just hate their available finishes. I'll be considering the Warmoth essentially a PRS CE-24-7. 80% of the board will probably hate it but it will be awesome

If only I could fully decide on specs I'd have the damn thing ordered already. Maybe I'll make a thread about it so I can ignore other people's advice
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #20
myampslouder
SS.org Regular
 
myampslouder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 1,660
Thanked: 40
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
What about a chameleon finish?
myampslouder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #21
mikernaut
pixel pusher
 
mikernaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Madison WI
Posts: 2,788
Thanked: 101
Feedback Score: 8 reviews



mikernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #22
troyguitar
SS.org Regular
 
troyguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lawrenceburg, KY
Posts: 8,984
Thanked: 66
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
On that front:

troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #23
djpharoah
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
 
djpharoah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cali'
Posts: 13,610
Thanked: 335
Feedback Score: 141 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
On that front:

Didn't realize that's what you had in plan for the SL2h7 run man
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #24
mikernaut
pixel pusher
 
mikernaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Madison WI
Posts: 2,788
Thanked: 101
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Holy glammy Disco ball V!
mikernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
snowblind56
SS.org Regular
 
snowblind56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manitowoc, WI
Posts: 2,988
Thanked: 61
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
That's not a refinish man that's another custom Also Warmoth does 25.5" neck thru guitars now in 7 strings?
Since when does Warmoth do neck thru?
snowblind56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Our Network: PRS Guitar Forum | Luthier Forum | SG Guitar Forum | Les Paul Forum | Marshall Amp Forum | Acoustic Guitar Forum

SS.org proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2004-2016, SevenString.org. All Rights Reserved.