homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
LolWotGuitar
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Is Your Biggest Guitarist Habit Pet Peeve?

When people REFUSE to use their pinky.
I cringe....
LolWotGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
USMarine75
Doc McStuffins

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
When they have to rearrange their hair like Wayne from Wayne's World every 8 measures... or they sing the notes with their mouth as if that somehow makes any sense... yeah, Steve Vai I'm talking about you... you're ridiculous at guitar but you're such an egomaniacal douche in your videos...
USMarine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
LolWotGuitar
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMarine75 View Post
When they have to rearrange their hair like Wayne from Wayne's World every 8 measures... or they sing the notes with their mouth as if that somehow makes any sense... yeah, Steve Vai I'm talking about you... you're ridiculous at guitar but you're such an egomaniacal douche in your videos...
Hahahahahahaha. Absolutely agree.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Konfyouzd
Dread-I Master

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Vai would call that "stage presence" I'm sure...

I'm not sure there's anything that really bothers me about a guitar player except maybe when they just don't seem to look like they're as in to their music as they want you to be.

For example... I thought John Petrucci on that G3 video just looked "boring" on stage and even though the songs he was playing were AWESOME, I just found it slightly less enjoyable with him looking so boring up on stage. I could see the gears turning in his head too much. The flashier people like Vai "seem" to just let it flow a little more than what I saw from Trooch on that particular video and that's the only reason I prefer watching Vai perform to Trooch.

That wasn't to argue your post in anyway... I was just using the two guitarists as an example since Vai had already been thrown out there.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
BigPhi84
Pronounced "FEE"

Being flaky. As a multi-instrumentalist, it always suck talking to another guitarist and they say, "Man, what's your number? We need to jam sometime."

You never hear from them. The next time you see them, it's "Long time no see. We need to jam some time." It would make sense if I sucked at my instruments or sucked as a person, but I know that neither is true! LOL.

Self-appointed member of the Sevenstring.org Welcoming Committee
(alongside Bloody_Inferno, Zealous, Shawn, Apophis, AliceAxe, M3CHKILLA, Fred the Shred, Explorer, and Sebastian) ROFL

My Policy: If you make me laugh in a post or offer something interesting/thought-provoking, you get Rep +1. Pretty simple, right? Waiting now for incoming barrage of funny jokes.

BigPhi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
ElRay
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
... or they sing the notes with their mouth as if that somehow makes any sense ...
Actually it does. A lot of instructors for a lot of non-wind instruments suggest this exact thing. It helps for ear training. It helps for phrasing. I'm sure one of the folks that teach for a living can chime-in with more details.

I felt kind of stupid self-singing do-de-re-ri, etc. when I first started, but it seems to help with the learning of pieces.

Ray

The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?
ElRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
USMarine75
Doc McStuffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRay View Post
Actually it does. A lot of instructors for a lot of non-wind instruments suggest this exact thing. It helps for ear training. It helps for phrasing. I'm sure one of the folks that teach for a living can chime-in with more details.

I felt kind of stupid self-singing do-de-re-ri, etc. when I first started, but it seems to help with the learning of pieces.

Ray
No, not at all what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about self-singing... Have you never watched a Steve Vai video??? I'm talking about the douchey over the top my-mouth-is-a-wah pedal oral thing he does.

Plus self-singing doesn't help you on stage.

I googled Vai... 1st 5 images:

ad infininitum...

(* PS I love Vai and own 2 JEMs and I'm a douche too...but, c'mon man)
Old 09-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
celticelk
Enflamed with prayer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Vai aside for the moment, I have to disagree with this: just because you can't hear yourself doesn't mean that self-singing isn't helping you with phrasing. If nothing else, it's helping you feel where a wind player would have to take a breath, which forms a natural break between phrases.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Do not be afraid of being wrong; just be afraid of being uninteresting.
-T. Carl Whitmer
The Art of Improvisation, 1941

A strong spirit transcends rules.
-Prince

Chant the beauty of the good
-Emerson
celticelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
Repner
SS.org Regular

I don't see the problem. I'd rather have that than standing like a statue with a dead serious look. Vai just looks like he's having fun, even if it is, by his own admission, way over the top.

My pet peeve, guitarists that only seem to play the most horribly out of key solos during a song. Main reason I say this is there is one band I keep seeing supporting bands here. Every time they went into a solo, it wasn't so much bad notes, it was the WORST notes. Every time they played a solo I could feel my head shrinking into my chest.

To make it worse, the band they were supporting was Freak Kitchen, so I'm pretty sure the majority of the audience was made up of more advanced musicians. I don't mind if you're not a walking music theory dictionary, but at least have a decent enough ear
Repner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
USMarine75
Doc McStuffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticelk View Post
If nothing else, it's helping you feel where a wind player would have to take a breath, which forms a natural break between phrases.
I'll remember that the next time I'm playing "Bad Horsie"...

Old 09-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
celticelk
Enflamed with prayer

Quote:
I'll remember that the next time I'm playing "Bad Horsie"...

Yeah, okay, maybe not so helpful if you're playing extended shred phrases. I tend to think from a more jazz/funk/minimalist perspective. Different strokes, etc.

If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

-T. Carl Whitmer

-Prince

-Emerson
Old 09-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
LolWotGuitar
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfyouzd View Post
Vai would call that "stage presence" I'm sure...

I'm not sure there's anything that really bothers me about a guitar player except maybe when they just don't seem to look like they're as in to their music as they want you to be.

For example... I thought John Petrucci on that G3 video just looked "boring" on stage and even though the songs he was playing were AWESOME, I just found it slightly less enjoyable with him looking so boring up on stage. I could see the gears turning in his head too much. The flashier people like Vai "seem" to just let it flow a little more than what I saw from Trooch on that particular video and that's the only reason I prefer watching Vai perform to Trooch.

That wasn't to argue your post in anyway... I was just using the two guitarists as an example since Vai had already been thrown out there.
You are ABSOLUTELY correct.
Darren Reid, the 16 year old I constantly talk about who literally blew me away with his playing did not win a guitar contest because of major mentality issues. He just couldn't please the crowd with stage preformance even though he could play the most beautiful music I have ever heard to this day on the guitar.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #13
USMarine75
Doc McStuffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticelk View Post
Yeah, okay, maybe not so helpful if you're playing extended shred phrases. I tend to think from a more jazz/funk/minimalist perspective. Different strokes, etc.
yeah... that's a different story... but check out some of his videos... Building the Church comes to mind... dude pulls a lot of faces. I can't help but think douche every time I watch him.

I see Paul Gilbert do the same thing and I think he's just into it...

I guess it's all in the interpretation.

Can I at least get an amen for fat old guys in open shirts & leather pants?

Old 09-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
celticelk
Enflamed with prayer

^^^^^ Dear gods, put that Yngwie away! You're scaring the children! =)

-The Gospel of Thomas

-T. Carl Whitmer

-Prince

-Emerson
Old 09-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
rythmic_pulses
Schmuck

Pentatonic solos, I have got myself in a hitch and a rut and can't get out of it thanks to that damn scale, I have tried to learn more Chromatic stuff and I just can't seem to get it right any more and thanks to too much down picking and chugging my alternate picking is screwed too so playing widdly solo's is off limits to me now, any suggestions on how to get better at this? (those are my bad guitar habits....)

Problem Trolls?

Sex bro. Sex. -ntDars

Stop hatin'. Love and Toleration. - Biison

the higgs boson is the energy that creates mass to create
protons and tacos basically. - bob123

SOL NIGER WITHIN!!! - Iamasingularity

ODDWORLD FOR LIFE!
rythmic_pulses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #16
Diggy
Banned

I had to
Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #17
LolWotGuitar
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rythmic_pulses View Post
Pentatonic solos, I have got myself in a hitch and a rut and can't get out of it thanks to that damn scale, I have tried to learn more Chromatic stuff and I just can't seem to get it right any more and thanks to too much down picking and chugging my alternate picking is screwed too so playing widdly solo's is off limits to me now, any suggestions on how to get better at this? (those are my bad guitar habits....)
Old 09-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #18
Konfyouzd
Dread-I Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rythmic_pulses View Post
Don't hate on the pentatonic. A lot can be done with it.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #19
The Reverend
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Not a lot annoyed me before I joined this damned board .

Probably the most annoying thing to me now is bad live tone. If you can't keep that icepick-sharp, trebly tone under control, get off the stage. It's killing your solos, because it's hard to hear what's going on.

If you're going to 'like' my posts, give me some rep instead.

"
i just laughed at my own reflection, not sure if ugly or drunk" -Murmel

http://www.robmura.com/pics/djodsig.jpg
The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #20
Dayn
silly person

I'm probably targeting most people in existence, but when people play right-handed with the guitar on their right leg.

I just... don't get how that can be done. It's just so cumbersome to me.

...?!
Dayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #21
The Reverend
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayn View Post
I'm probably targeting most people in existence, but when people play right-handed with the guitar on their right leg.

I just... don't get how that can be done. It's just so cumbersome to me.
I'm afraid that when I see that, a little part of me gives a smug, dismissive smile, because I play in the classical position.

If you're going to 'like' my posts, give me some rep instead.

"
i just laughed at my own reflection, not sure if ugly or drunk" -Murmel

http://www.robmura.com/pics/djodsig.jpg
The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #22
troyguitar
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Spending $10000+ on gear but refusing to spend a dime (or an hour) on lessons.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #23
Trespass
AEADGBEA

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
No, not at all what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about self-singing... Have you never watched a Steve Vai video??? I'm talking about the douchey over the top my-mouth-is-a-wah pedal oral thing he does.

2:30 to 3:30 or so --

Beginning and guitar solo

It's improvised music, and it all comes from the same place.

Pseudo-Jazz Sophisticate
-The 7 and ERG Chord Melody [Jazz] Thread-
"If Stravinsky's music is that of the Earth, then Meshuggah's music is that of the Machine"

Teaching
Guitar-Piano Technique/Theory/Jazz & Classical University Prep

Ossington & Bloor area in Toronto.
I now do Sykpe lessons - Inquire via PM!
Trespass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #24
fwd0120
Bipedal Hominid

Gotta be honest. I do the vai mouth things. in the exact same way. I'll see a vid of me playing and I'll be like... "am I really doing that?!?!". It's totally subconscious imo. But i do believe SSV has some fun with it.

"basically by saying "a rg neck will look awesome on an sg body" your saying " megan fox's head would look great on drew cary's body."" - aslsmm

My soundclick music. (genre : shonocore): http://www.soundclick.com/frankwilliamdremel

I play Phrygian in a vacuum b5
fwd0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #25
Konfyouzd
Dread-I Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Gotta be honest. I do the vai mouth things. in the exact same way. I'll see a vid of me playing and I'll be like... "am I really doing that?!?!". It's totally subconscious imo. But i do believe SSV has some fun with it.
To an extent I do too. I won't lie. It kind of helps me get a feel for how long to hold bends and .... sometimes. I think it's because I hear a voice in my head rather than a guitar and I *try* to sing a lot of the time and when I describe what kind of tone I want to Zimbloth I always compare it to singers' voices. So I think it's almost natural [for me] to do it.