homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
DrakkarTyrannis
WWSD?

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mother bear kills cub and then itself

Mother bear kills cub and then itself

The Chinese media has reported on an extraordinary account of a mother bear saving her cub from a life of torture by strangling it and then killing itself. The bears were kept in a farm located in a remote area in the North-West of China. The bears on the farm had their gall bladders milked daily for 'bear bile,' which is used as a remedy in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).

It was reported that the bears are kept in tiny cages known as 'crush cages', as the bears have no room to manoeuvre and are literally crushed.
The bile is harvested by making a permanent hole or fistula in the bears' abdomen and gall bladder. As the hole is never closed, the animals are suspect to various infections and diseases including tumours, cancers and death from peritonitis. The bears are fitted with an iron vest, as they often try to kill themselves by hitting their stomach as they are unable to bear the pain.

A person who was on the farm in place of a friend witnessed the procedures and told Reminbao.com that they were inhumane. The witness also claimed that a mother bear broke out its cage when it heard its cub howl in fear before a worker punctured its stomach to milk the bile. The workers ran away in fear when they saw the mother bear rushing to its cub's side. Unable to free the cub from its restraints, the mother hugged the cub and eventually strangled it. It then dropped the cub and ran head-first into a wall, killing itself.

Many TCM practitioners have denounced the use of bear bile in their treatment as there are cheaper herbs and synthetics that can be used in its place.
Bear bile is traditionally used to remove 'heat' from the body as well as treat high fever, liver ailments and sore eyes.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
klutvott
SS.org Regular

Too bad the bear didn't kill them all while it was at it.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
synrgy
Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Reading through that made my stomach turn...

If you like electronic music, check me out.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

Chinese medicine is ....ing retarded backwards .....
Old 08-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Murmel
Fapping to J-rock

Reminds me of my sister who has a hole to her stomach for food at night through a pump. Difference is it doesn't hurt her what so ever and isn't open but closed with some weird ass device, so I guess it's not quite the same

It really makes you suffer with the animals when you hear .... like this, especially the part about them trying to kill themselves so they have to wear iron vests... .... man..

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Chickenhawk
Monolithic A.D.-dibs

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I secretly wish that bear would have learned to use tools and Mcgyver'd a ....ing Gatling Gun and murdered everybody involved in that operation.

well...maybe not so secretly.

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
- Woodrow Wilson
Old 08-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Marv Attaxx
ಠ_ಠ

Stuff like this makes me wanna go there and hurt people. badly.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
matt397
Tr00f

That was a tough read. I ....ing hate people. Were a disgusting species.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
emperor_black
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm holding back tears. Humans can be very cruel.

Axe-Fx Ultra -> FBT Verve 12ma
Old 08-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
heavy7-665
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wtf

You am need help, your right hand is all ....ed up girl!

"thats why i spring it on her

like a cobra"
Old 08-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
Necris
Bonitis.

Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Old 08-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
Michael T
Sea Turtles mate

Feedback Score: 52 reviews
What's that say about us as a species when even a bear knows what they were doing was wrong.

The project that I'm working on is so secret... Even I don't know what I'm doing!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
simulclass83
Yes, pancakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis View Post
...they are unable to bear the pain.
Am I the only one that saw this pun?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
Adam Of Angels
The GAS Man

Feedback Score: 116 reviews
Stop blaming humanity. Just because some retards in China are sucking bear bile from a bear's abdomen doesn't mean the rest of us are monsters.

In any case, this is sad.

[Necris] 6:23 pm: "you will deal with the pork you recieve"
Old 08-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
Razzy
[10]

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by simulclass83 View Post
Am I the only one that saw this pun?
I wanted to say something, but I figured I'd get flamed for it because of how sad this story is.

Good luck.

Also Adam. +1

ESP M-II -> Randall Diavlo 100 -> Mesa Rectifier 4x12 and 2x12.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #16
AySay
Banned

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The people in China who still believe in this bull.... seriously need to get with the ....ing times. It's disgusting. Their unreasonable demands lead to poaching of so many beautiful, and endangered animals. Tigers, Elephants, Bears, Rhinos...

The worst ....ing part is that these "remedies" are so often used for "sexual help". ....ing pathetic...and mildly funny because of a certain stereotype...

We have enough tried and tested medicine as it is.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #17
Dvaienat
ss.org Regular

Disgusting case of animal cruelty, no wonder the bears kill themselves. The workers should kill themselves too. A disgrace to the human species, since not all of us are like that.

Am I the only one who thinks there should be international law (which all countries would have to abide to) regarding the treatment of animals? There is already an international human rights law I believe.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Of Angels View Post
Stop blaming humanity. Just because some retards in China are sucking bear bile from a bear's abdomen doesn't mean the rest of us are monsters.

Let's face it, humans are tearing this whole planet apart and killing each other in the name of money/power/religion. We have a lot of potential to do good things, but we're way off reaching that. There are good people out there, but there are also a lot more bad people and they tend to get their way because they're willing to d bad things for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatG View Post
Disgusting case of animal cruelty, no wonder the bears kill themselves. The workers should kill themselves too. A disgrace to the human species, since not all of us are like that.

Am I the only one who thinks there should be international law (which all countries would have to abide to) regarding the treatment of animals? There is already an international human rights law I believe.
I agree. I particularly think we need more laws governing international fishing and ocean harvesting. Problem is, you need to get a lot of countries to bad together to put this through, and then force those laws onto other countries who may not want them. That would cause a lot of political friction in a world already very divided.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #19
Dvaienat
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
I agree. I particularly think we need more laws governing international fishing and ocean harvesting. Problem is, you need to get a lot of countries to bad together to put this through, and then force those laws onto other countries who may not want them. That would cause a lot of political friction in a world already very divided.
True, it is something which would be beneficial. I should imagine most western countries would be behind it, though countries in the east would most likely be resistant, which could lead to war or weaken relations between countries.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #20
Zorkuus
SS.org Regular

Quote:
What good would that do? There are plenty of countries who haven't even signed the universal declaration of human rights. Why would someone like that sign a declaration of animal rights? Not much of a solution if they can just choose to not agree with it and continue business as usual.

The article reminded me of that M. Night Shyamalan film where nature turned on man. Imagine if animals evolved just enough that they would revolt against humans en masse.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #21
nostealbucket
aint no gahdam woman

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wait.... so in "Ancient China Time" they found a bear, killed it... and then decided to consume the bile....

What the .... moment....

Bears are ....ing awesome. I'm surprised they haven't taken over china.... but they will... oh, they will....
Old 08-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #22
Guitarman700
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
China really needs to progress socially as well as industrially. Seems like a lot of the people in that region have some bat.... ideas.

"FFDP is metal for Nascar fans."-Rick
"Someone said they like guns. I like Mel Gibson."-God
Old 08-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #23
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

Quote:
True, it is something which would be beneficial. I should imagine most western countries would be behind it, though countries in the east would most likely be resistant, which could lead to war or weaken relations between countries.
Yeah, exactly. I do think we need more international laws involving ecological issues, and also internet. I believe those are two international matters that we need to deal with as a race, not as countries. I think it would bring us together to be honest, if we all shared and agreed on certain laws. It would show we can work together for a good cause, not just trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorkuus View Post
What good would that do? There are plenty of countries who haven't even signed the universal declaration of human rights. Why would someone like that sign a declaration of animal rights? Not much of a solution if they can just choose to not agree with it and continue business as usual.

The article reminded me of that M. Night Shyamalan film where nature turned on man. Imagine if animals evolved just enough that they would revolt against humans en masse.
Yes, it would be very hard to implement and regulate, but I think it is worth striving for. Eventually we'll be forced to do it anyway because we'll be on the verge of having wars over resources.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #24
Dvaienat
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorkuus View Post
They wouldn't. But it is something to aim for. We are advancing in issues such as human and animal rights all the time.

I suppose if they did not agree, then it would be time for interventionism, though that would most certainly cause friction. Which the world has enough of already.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #25
emperor_black
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Of Angels View Post

Bro, not a personal attack, but knowingly or unknowingly, we are all responsible for whatever happens to beings who cannot fight for themselves.

Axe-Fx Ultra -> FBT Verve 12ma
Closed Thread