homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Adversor
El Borracho X

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Angry Atheist Monologue (Bad Boy Bubby)

This is my first time opening a thread in this section so please excuse me if it isn't the right place for this.

I took the liberty to translate this monologue from the movie Bad Boy Bubby to Spanish. It contains a powerful message that will surely put your mind to think. Religious people will hate this video but it is not my intention to insult anyone with this. It is just a part from this movie that has been in my head since the first time I watched it and I just want to share it with all of you guys.

Enjoy...

"You see, no one's going to help you Bubby, because there isn't anybody out there to do it. No one. We're all just complicated arrangements of atoms and subatomic particles — we don't live. But our atoms do move about in such a way as to give us identity and consciousness. We don't die; our atoms just rearrange themselves. There is no God. There can be no God; it's ridiculous to think in terms of a superior being. An inferior being, maybe, because we, we who don't even exist, we arrange our lives with more order and harmony than God ever arranged the earth. We measure; we plot; we create wonderful new things. We are the architects of our own existence. What a lunatic concept to bow down before a God who slaughters millions of innocent children, slowly and agonizingly starves them to death, beats them, tortures them, rejects them. What folly to even think that we should not insult such a God, damn him! think him out of existence. It is our duty to think God out of existence. It is our duty to insult him. .... you, God! Strike me down if you dare, you tyrant, you non-existent fraud! It is the duty of all human beings to think God out of existence. Then we have a future. Because then — and only then — do we take full responsibility for who we are. And that's what you must do, Bubby: think God out of existence; take responsibility for who you are."

Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
DVRP
The HUMANCENTiPAD

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That was actually really interesting and made me think alot.

http://www.facebook.com/Icosian
Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Guitarman700
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
That's all true. So very true.
"If god exists, then man is eternally a slave. As a lover of human liberty, there is only one course available to this god, and that is to cease to exist." - Mikhail Bakunin.

"FFDP is metal for Nascar fans."-Rick
"Someone said they like guns. I like Mel Gibson."-God
Old 08-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
BucketheadRules
Fuzz pedal hoarder

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very true.

The best quote:

"It is the duty of every human being to think God out of existence. Then, we have a future. Because then, and only then, do we take full responsibility for who we are."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a 7-string any more and I like fat necks and single-coils, come at me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
KingAenarion
Resident Studio Nerd

Great Australian movie

Some interesting thoughts and points. As a Christian it's not offensive, namely because people are entitled to feel that way.

I feel that some of the Logic is flawed though.

"We arrange our lives with more order and harmony than God ever arranged the earth. We measure, we plot, we create wonderful music, we are the architects of our own existence"

Saying that humanity has more order than nature feels like a bit of a logical fallacy in this case. The idea that human society with all its values and flaws is more ordered than the natural world to me raises all sorts of philosophical and scientific alarm bells.

"What a lunatic concept to bow down before a God who slaughters millions on innocent children, who slowly and agonisingly starves them to death, beats them, tortures them, rejects them"

This is one concept that I do find kind of offensive. To say that "There is no God, but if there is, it's his fault for all the bad things in the world - not humanities fault" then to turn around and say that if we reject God that human nature will change because we'll take responsibility. If there is no God, and no belief in a God or gods, how would that change human nature. Yea sure it would remove religious doctrine from cultural psyches. It would remove religious wars and aggression (even though it is only the fundamentalists who propagate these ideological wars), but would it change human nature. Would it change the evolutionary urge to kill, to protect ones family at all costs? Would it eliminate nationalism, extremist views, paedophilia, rape, war? No... to blame God (if there is one) or religion for human nature is self-righteous arrogance. Yes religion is great vehicle for those who would abuse power to gain it in the first place, but it is still human nature and not the concept and belief systems that are the problem.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Religion doesn't oppress people, people oppress people.

My band - Ex Curia - Prog in an Opeth meets Karnivool meets Porcupine Tree meets Tool kind of way
Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
The Somberlain
Hollow Man

The problem isn't one's belief; it's how dogmatically people believe in something, Christ or science

I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine.
-Bertrand Russell

"The Somberlain is a wise man" -Randy
Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Explorer
He seldomly knows...

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Very confusing, attempting to make points but ultimately failing.

To argue that we have consciousnesses, and then to assert that we don't live, and that those consciousnesses don't die? The speech sounds like it was written to sound profound, but only as long as you don't listen to closely. I've heard lots of speeches which reach for "profoundi-ness," and this fits that cast to a "t."

Superior and inferior creatures? It depends on your criteria. Given time, man can build tools to survive in the ocean, just as a virus can overcome homo sapiens sapiens' defenses and build order (from a virus viewpoint) out of the chaos of the human body.

Ultimately, the speech was someone arguing that their viewpoint and framework for judging that viewpoint is correct, and that other viewpoints and frameworks for judgement are wrong... but without presenting any evidence for such other than assertions. As such, it falls into that same category as other arguments for why one religion should be considered superior to another, but ultimately falling back on "because I said so!" as an argument.

Meh.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
bostjan
MicroMetal

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Old 08-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
Adversor
El Borracho X

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. It sure is a very controversial subject and everybody has different opinions based on what we have learned and the environment we have grown with and this is the whole beauty of it, share points of view and discuss them with respect and responsability. This topic is endless, I know, but it sure makes you think for one minute... I will leave you all with my thoughts about the video.

Let's being with this:

Whenever this guy uses the term "god" he is obvioulsy not refering to the bearded man with long hair who performs miracles and lives in heaven, this man is clearly a non believer. What he means by "god" is the state of mind that most people live in nowdays. He is critizing how everything and all responsability is put upon that "god" that in his point of view, was invented by humankind for the sake of commodity. Although, I don't think he tries to offend anyone with this. What he is merely trying to do is to sound loud and capture attention to wake people up from their catatonic state and invite them to take full responsability for their own lives instead of just blaming everything on someone else.

He also speaks about ourselves being our own architects and that we as human beings are beautiful beyond belief because we have the power to create and destroy with our mind and body. To tell you the truth, I don't think this man is an atheist in his point of view. He gives clear signals of being a spiritual person and that would make him a believer in his own sense because, in my point of view, he believes in the "god" that lives within him or his "spirit" that makes him a better person. He might be a traditional atheist/heretic for the persons that are tied to or were indocrinated by religion (also known as fanatics) but this man is clearly motivated by a positive spark within himself that is clearly NOT hate.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Cabinet
:O

Godspeed, Bubby
Old 08-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
leandroab
Stay Negative™

Not again.

is the new black

RIP PETER STEELE

Music:
* www.soundclick.com/leandroabaurre
*www.soundcloud.com/leandroab

Guitar projects:

*Baritone 6 Conversion

Quotes:
* ''
I intend them to .... them with the long cock of the law." - Trashmanzac
* "
I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." - metallisuk
"I'm a big fan of the effects of alcohol." - Peter Steele
Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
DrakkarTyrannis
WWSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroab View Post
Not again.
Well it hasn't gone downhill yet. Every now and then a religious thread does well. This one seems to be on the right track
Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
Captain Shoggoth
SIGN YO REP

As an agnostic/atheist/skeptic I'm fully with the mindset that the Abrahamic God is a vile tyrannic entity, massively egotistical and insecure and certainly far from perfect but at the end of the day even in a purely atheistic civilisation there would still be pointless suffering.

Men butcher each other because it's in our nature, religion and the abuse of power it allows is just another means to that end.

<a href=http://i54.tinypic.com/687f5f.jpg target=_blank>http://i54.tinypic.com/687f5f.jpg</a>

"we could package a couple turds inside the guitar, so it'd smell like .... all the time"-dean guitars

"She's a girl. It could mean ANYTHING."-Konfyouzd
Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
Cabinet
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Shoggoth View Post
As an agnostic/atheist/skeptic I'm fully with the mindset that the Abrahamic God is a vile tyrannic entity, massively egotistical and insecure and certainly far from perfect but at the end of the day even in a purely atheistic civilisation there would still be pointless suffering.

Men butcher each other because it's in our nature, religion and the abuse of power it allows is just another means to that end.
I don't think religion does the idea of God justice. Hell, I don't think we even have the appropriate language to describe God in it's ultimate potential.

I don't think we even have the ability to fully comprehend the idea of God.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
Rev2010
SS Contributor

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Couldn't have said it better than KingAenarion.

I'm basically agnostic. Never been religious, never will be, but personally some atheistic attitudes can be as off putting as hardcore religious mentality. Basically, a lot of atheistic mindset is just so finite and made up - "There's no God, this is all pure chance, END OF STORY!!!". And hey, if you want to believe that it's your right too. But the way I see it is how could I possibly make a decision on something so grandiose with no way of proving or disproving it and probably not even having a brain physically and mentally capable of even approaching understanding of something so incredibly complex and outside of 4 dimensional thinking??

See, I don't invest in believing or disbelieving there's a single God, or even multiple Gods, whatever. The only thing I can say from my human mind is that the universe does seem to exhibit intelligent design. Gravity, light - the fact that living beings can even form organic receptors to translate the light into sight. Camoflauge - an animal doesn't even have to think to control it, it happens on it's own, two eyes for depth perception, etc.

Sure I understand the pure chance arguments and listen to them. I enjoy discussing all options. But when someone is fully set in the biblical god mentally and simply refuses to hear any other possibility.... well then there's no reason to waste time trying to discuss this sort of stuff with that person no? Same goes for the opposite side of the coin IMO.

Please don't anyone take offense!!! I am sincerely not trying to offend anyone here, don't think I said anything awful anyway - just saying. Of course this thread can go downhill easily, and probably will, but I felt like sharing my viewpoint.

Rev.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #16
DrakkarTyrannis
WWSD?

That's what I've been saying for a while. There are several militant atheists who are just as bad as the people they oppose. Everyone has an opinion but no one really knows for sure. Believing in God is just as stupid/smart as not believing. Everyone has their own opinion and it's pretty stupid to pick one as definitive truth over another.

Religion or lack thereof isn't the issue..it's people's need to impose views on others. People are the problem, not a belief structure.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #17
DVRP
The HUMANCENTiPAD

For me the monologue just meant I'm accountable for my own actions and no one but me can control them. I'm the architect of my world. My decisions craft my world around me. I don't see a reason to read into the religious part of it, because in my eyes that's not its intent.

http://www.facebook.com/Icosian
Old 08-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #18
Dvaienat
ss.org Regular

Great quote, I agree with it 100%. To me it is fairly obvious 'God' was thought up to answer the question of where life came from, in the days where man had no knowledge of science. It also served to control people and give hope, and was a great opportunity for man to exert his vile prejudices, and oppress women and homosexuals. Not to mention the fact that the 'God' in Abrahamic religions is evil - a genocidal maniac and dictator. In Christianity you have to accept Jesus as your savior or you will be tortured for eternity in Hell. That is a completely sick doctrine. Religion is a primitive and archaic control device and nowdays causes more harm in society than good.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #19
Adversor
El Borracho X

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatG View Post
Great quote, I agree with it 100%. To me it is fairly obvious 'God' was thought up to answer the question of where life came from, in the days where man had no knowledge of science.
This.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #20
The Somberlain
Hollow Man

Well, recently I had an idea to categorize systems of thought into "presecular," "secular," and "post-secular"

Presecular: there's an invisible bro in the sky taking care of you and telling you what to do
Secular: if I don't experience it, it doesn't exist
Postsecular: This is the hardest to explain, but anything that acknowledges that there are many great things that may or may not be out there and seeks for man to transcend his petty experience (e.g. Taoism, Buddhism, Huxleyan spiritualism, quantum physics, Structuralism, Idealism[as in Schopenhauer and Hegel, not sticking up for something stupidly])

I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine.
-Bertrand Russell

"The Somberlain is a wise man" -Randy
Old 08-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #21
BrianUV777BK
Riffmiester General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman700 View Post
That's all true. So very true.
"If god exists, then man is eternally a slave. As a lover of human liberty, there is only one course available to this god, and that is to cease to exist." - Mikhail Bakunin.

That actually makes more sense than anything I've read regarding the topic.

LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR BAD TONE

GIMME SHRED 'TILL I"M DEAD!!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #22
-42-
Nothing to see here

This is one of those rants that I can't really get behind. The appeal of atheism (for me) rests in the fact that I am not obligated to believe in any formal tenants, that I have the personal freedom to believe (or rather not to believe). Because I have the freedom not to believe - to question as it were - I do not begrudge others the right to their faith. I don't think that we as a race have an obligation to 'kill God' because God is a personal choice in any secular nation.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #23
Explorer
He seldomly knows...

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A few posts in this thread have reminded me of a huge imposed dichotomy: "I don't believe in God because if He/She/It exists, then He/She/It exists in this particular form."

I always figured that, if there was truly a god of some sort, it was further beyond my reckoning and comprehension than understanding my balancing my checkbook (along with all the structures and thoughts behind such a balancing) is to my dog.

I've always found that the most fascinating debates aren't between, say, atheists and Christians, or Christians and Muslims, but instead between two Christians, or two Muslims, or two anti-evolutionists. There is a huge amount of minutia which quite a few people are unaware of, and it's only when you hear an Old Earth creationist/Intelligent Design believer arguing with an Young Earth creationist can you appreciate how frail the underpinnings are for certain viewpoints... except, of course, for the one uniting factor, the need to argue against naturalistic science.

I'm appreciative of how much agreement there is in science as a whole.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis View Post
There are several militant atheists who are just as bad as the people they oppose.
I've pointed this out in "There's a war on Christmas!" threads, and in other type threads as well, but let me just say, finding three topics like these in less than a month...

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pol...banned-mo.html

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/politics-current-events/162826-bible-belt-lawsuit-pits-atheist-against-sheriff.html

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pol...ck-norway.html

I have to call "bull...." on the assertion that the militant atheists have come close to the militant Christians in these stories.

I'm happy to read some equivalent stories, though.

I remember when people would talk about how negros were as bad as the Klan in wanting equal rights. That claim was also as obviously bull.....

Again, I don't see evidence of it in the news of the world, but I'm happy to be informed of what I've been missing so far.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Old 08-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
Scruffy1012
Grey Sheep

Old 08-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #25
Captain Shoggoth
SIGN YO REP

I'm with Explorer here, if a deity exists, the last place to look for it is in any religious book IMO. Far too human-orientated.

<a href=http://i54.tinypic.com/687f5f.jpg target=_blank>http://i54.tinypic.com/687f5f.jpg</a>

"we could package a couple turds inside the guitar, so it'd smell like .... all the time"-dean guitars

"She's a girl. It could mean ANYTHING."-Konfyouzd
Closed Thread