homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Sports Talk
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
Sports Talk Shower Tom Brady with praise, and debate which is the real football here.

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
technomancer
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 38 reviews
NHL 2011-2012 Thread

Well, the awards and the draft are over and the prospect camps have started, time to move from the 2010-2011 to 2011-2012 thread

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Thanked by:
Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Vostre Roy
Disciple of Djod

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
July 18th

The season seems so far away right now
I'm sick of seeing Baseball, Golf and Tennis all over the sport channel here lol

ABSURD APOSTLE OF DJOD

"Solid-state - A component that has been specifically designed to make a guitar amplifier sound bad. Compared to tubes, these devices can have a very long lifespan, which guarantees that your amplifier will retain it's thin, lifeless, and buzzy sound for a long time to come."
Old 07-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
troyguitar
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Chris Osgood retires

Osgood retires - Detroit Red Wings - Press Release

I'm thinking he'll be in the hall of fame before too long, though he rarely got a lot of credit for the job he did.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
technomancer
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

^ no arguments with that statement... he won three cups, that's got to count for something

Also the Lightning inked Stamkos finally... I'm sort of surprised nobody made him a high-value offer just to screw with the Lightning's cap space

Lightning ink Stamkos to five-year deal - NHL Free Agency 2011

And I'll be curious to see if he does and better with the Devils than he did in Florida

DeBoer introduced as new coach of Devils - 2011 Offseason News

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Dwellingers
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
.... I read like a retard.

Bass-ripper in Death Comes Pale- www.myspace.com/deathcomespale
Old 07-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Vostre Roy
Disciple of Djod

Kovalev is going back to Russia. Talented guy, overrated player, he was fun to watch when he wanted to play with the others in the team

ABSURD APOSTLE OF DJOD

"Solid-state - A component that has been specifically designed to make a guitar amplifier sound bad. Compared to tubes, these devices can have a very long lifespan, which guarantees that your amplifier will retain it's thin, lifeless, and buzzy sound for a long time to come."
Old 07-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
technomancer
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vostre Roy View Post
Kovalev is going back to Russia. Talented guy, overrated player, he was fun to watch when he wanted to play with the others in the team
Looks that way

Report: Kovalev heading to KHL - 2011 Offseason News

It was a shame as he had a shot in Pittsburgh, but he really didn't do much to take advantage of it. You can't consistently take stupid penalties and fail to put the puck in the net and expect to get resigned It was pretty clear he wasn't going to be here at the end of game 7 when he wasn't on the ice for the 6 on 5 when he hadn't had a shift for a LONG time

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
matt397
Tr00f

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer View Post
Looks that way

Report: Kovalev heading to KHL - 2011 Offseason News

It was a shame as he had a shot in Pittsburgh, but he really didn't do much to take advantage of it. You can't consistently take stupid penalties and fail to put the puck in the net and expect to get resigned It was pretty clear he wasn't going to be here at the end of game 7 when he wasn't on the ice for the 6 on 5 when he hadn't had a shift for a LONG time

Honestly to me he always, always, seemed to appear to have this attitude of " I'm too good to be playing with this team so I'll just fill the slot until someone decent picks me up "

His career took a significant nosedive after Pittsburg traded him in '03, his performance with Ottawa was a waste of $5 million and when Pittsburgh picked him up for the playoffs last year they would of been better off putting a pilon out in the middle of the ice.

Good riddance I say.

Gsus died for your sins

Tell the people there's an invisible man in the sky that created the universe and the vast majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin
Old 08-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
technomancer
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

I can't hate on Kovalev as he was fantastic when he was in Pittsburgh on the line with Straka and Lang.

His second stint the main problem was that his back checking just wasn't strong enough so he took a lot of stupid, lazy penalties That and he never really adapted to the system the Pens play, which is obviously not going to work

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
JeffFromMtl
Уродливый, но честны

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Eh, it's Kovalev

I'm pretty sure that he put up the worst 84-point season of all time in Montreal. The team finished first and it seemed like everyone on the team was playing over their heads, as they had, I believe, 7 players to score over 20 goals and 50 pts (hell, even Chris Higgins scored 27 goals that season ), with Kovalev leading the way, and still, he was arguably the laziest, most laissez-faire player in the league, let alone on the team. Except for maybe that game against Toronto where he deked the entire team out of their pants, and then while still controlling the puck, absolutely leveled Darcy Tucker. Classic.

This great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves

moments before the wind
Old 08-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
technomancer
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

Holy .... Weber got $7.5 million in arbitration

Shea Weber, David Poile happy to have an agreement done for 2011-12 - NHL Free Agency 2011

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
Vostre Roy
Disciple of Djod

Sean Avery is in some legal hot water:

Avery arrested and jailed for battery on a police officer

This guy shouldn't be allowed to play hockey anymore IMO, asshole with no control over himself.

But I like action hockey, Subban's hit on Brad Marchand is probably one of the best (I'd say the best, but I'm biased lol) hit this year:

P.K. Su-BANG Video - NHL VideoCenter

ABSURD APOSTLE OF DJOD

Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
Powermetalbass
Powermetalbassist

Maple Leafs 2011-2012 season boom or bust?

So I'm a leafs fan (I'm sure I'll get alot of slack for that) Anyway, based on the moves made and the up and coming potential from the team anybody wanna make a prediction for how the leafs will fair in the coming season?

I see improvment and if Reimer performs the way he did last year I see a playoff spot!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #14
mattofvengeance
Team Ibanez

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Awesome. I feel like it's gonna be another season wading in the 8-11 area of the Western Conference. Still not excited about this defense, and despite gaining some forward depth, Brad Richards is still gone. I hate Tom Hicks so much.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
technomancer
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattofvengeance View Post
Awesome. I feel like it's gonna be another season wading in the 8-11 area of the Western Conference. Still not excited about this defense, and despite gaining some forward depth, Brad Richards is still gone. I hate Tom Hicks so much.
I'll be curious to see how the Stars do this year... they seem to be moving players like they're rebuilding... without actually rebuilding

The Pens are looking... interesting... for this season. I'm not sure what they're up to since they currently have 8 defensemen signed... I just hope they don't make the third pairing Lovejoy and Niskanen as they both have identical problems on the ice and DO NOT make an effective pairing.

That and I'm not holding my breath for Crosby to be back anytime soon if he's still having symptoms occasionally while working out.

I think for the Pens this season it's going to boil down to staying healthy, so we'll see what happens...

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
Unclemonkel
ss.org Regular

Mason pumped about Winnipeg, new Jets Mask with Iron Maiden Mascot | Masks | Goalie News, photos, info, tips, techniques by Goaltenders for Goaltenders

Eddie is on the new Winnipeg Jets helmet
Old 08-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #17
technomancer
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

That is pretty freaking cool

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #18
Vostre Roy
Disciple of Djod

It has been announced today that Quebecor Media and the city of Quebec have came to an agreement about the built of a multifonctional arena. This could mean that the return of the Nordiques would happens pretty soon.

What are your thoughts on that? I don't live near that town (or even near Montreal), so that means that the money I gave to the government will be used for something I will probably never use (well, if the Nords come back, I might go check a couple of game though), but on the other hand, a lot of the tax-payers money is going to random .... stuff, so I'm not really bothered and I now hope to see them Nords back, as they were my favorite team

ABSURD APOSTLE OF DJOD

Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #19
technomancer
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

^ Very cool. I do have to say I REALLY hope that if the NHL starts adding more teams they go to scheduling more like the NFL has so that more teams don't add more games. 82 games in a season is more than enough, and I think we're seeing more injuries by/during playoff time as a result of the long season

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
Vostre Roy
Disciple of Djod

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer View Post
^ Very cool. I do have to say I REALLY hope that if the NHL starts adding more teams they go to scheduling more like the NFL has so that more teams don't add more games. 82 games in a season is more than enough, and I think we're seeing more injuries by/during playoff time as a result of the long season
I agree with you, 82 games of this intense sport in a year is more than enough to destroy someone's body. I believe that if the Nords comeback one day, it will be because one of the economically endengered (correct my spelling if im wrong there lol) american teams will be moved before a new team would be created, although 32 teams could also be fun, and their should be a way to keep it at 82games/year with two extra teams.

Either way, I want my Nords!

ABSURD APOSTLE OF DJOD

Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #21
TheDivineWing22
You've got the touch

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Crosby is to address the media today at 12:30. I'm guessing this is mostly just to clear up a lot of the rumors going around and not bad news...like retirement...hopefully

Good deals with larzly, thefpb2, 7 Strings of Hate, and Adam of Angels
Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #22
Vostre Roy
Disciple of Djod

Not from the NHL, but a really sad news from the KHL:

Russian Plane Crash: Jet Carrying Lokomotiv Hockey Team Crashes, Dozens Dead

The plane that was carrying the Lokomotiv team crashed and killed all but one occupant, RDS.ca reported 36 deads. Pavol Demitra, Ruslan Salei, Josef Vasicek and Karlis Skrastins were along the victims, to name the one that played in the NHL.

ABSURD APOSTLE OF DJOD

Old 09-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #23
technomancer
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDivineWing22 View Post
Crosby is to address the media today at 12:30. I'm guessing this is mostly just to clear up a lot of the rumors going around and not bad news...like retirement...hopefully
Given the recent statements let's hope it's just him making an announcement that he's not playing at the beginning of the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vostre Roy View Post
Not from the NHL, but a really sad news from the KHL:

Russian Plane Crash: Jet Carrying Lokomotiv Hockey Team Crashes, Dozens Dead

The plane that was carrying the Lokomotiv team crashed and killed all but one occupant, RDS.ca reported 36 deads. Pavol Demitra, Ruslan Salei, Josef Vasicek and Karlis Skrastins were along the victims, to name the one that played in the NHL.
That's terrible news... My heart goes out to the families of those killed in the crash

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #24
technomancer
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

Crosby press conference summary: he is improving but there is no timetable for his return, and from what's being said I'd say he won't be back any time soon.

Also good for Sid for again saying head shots should be removed from the game, period.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #25
Vostre Roy
Disciple of Djod

Missed the first pre-season game yesterday, will be in front of my tv tonight!

ABSURD APOSTLE OF DJOD

Closed Thread