homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Treeunit212
Not your bro, bro.

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Controversial Atheist Billboard

Since this turned in to such a huge controversy in the media these past few weeks, I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on this whole thing is.

Now PERSONALLY, I am an Atheist and see no reason to get upset about this. I mean sure, you may not believe it is a myth, but Christmas was invented by the Pagans and really wasn't a Christian holiday to begin with. Despite all of the stories and religious importance, it's really just become the season for shopping (yay Capitalism!).

Besides, there are much more blatantly disrespectful billboards out there from the Christian viewpoints.

Fox News Interview of David Silverman:
Old 12-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
splinter8451
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeunit212 View Post
Besides, there are much more blatantly disrespectful billboards out there from the Christian viewpoints.
Exactly.

There are many many many Christian billboards promoting bull.... so why get all worked up over one Atheist one.

"And I want a blowjob from Emma Watson, but sometimes we just gotta deal with what we're given!" -The Armada

my youtube channel- http://www.youtube.com/user/vitreusMD?feature=mhum SikTh, Cyclamen After the Burial covers. More on the way!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Plankis
SS.org Regular

haha can that be called a interview? She interrupted him every second word! What's the point of having him there if he isn't allowed to talk?
Old 12-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Treeunit212
Not your bro, bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankis View Post
haha can that be called a interview? She interrupted him every second word! What's the point of having him there if he isn't allowed to talk?
It wouldn't be Fox News if it was any different.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Mordacain
1-watt brigadier

Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
It wouldn't be Fox News if it was any different.
Sad but true

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Old 12-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
xmetalhead69
Unexpected Ally

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think its foolish to commit fully commit to either believing or not believing in something like religion. You can't know until you die, so don't worry about it until then.

http://soundcloud.com/unexpected-allies
http://www.facebook.com/unexpectedallies

A unique sounding, prog metal band, mars volta inspired vocals, fun guitar, and tons of diverse influences. Check us out, our instrumental album is out now, and the next one is coming soon
Old 12-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
Customisbetter
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I think its foolish to put up a billboard like this, however i don't mind it. Its just a billboard people.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Old 12-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

Atheism pisses me off, because these people seem to think they can get away with anything by justifying it with 'fact' and 'oh but Christians have done the same'. How about not lowering yourself to their level? Many atheists core argument is the violence and militant forcing of beliefs religions often have, and yet atheists have become a religion themselves and just as forcing of their opinions on people. So their reasoning for this hate campaign can't be based on protest against that. This only leaves their wish to force more people to believe in atheism (preaching?), which they are doing with controvserial and offensive ads. They're fighting fire with fire. Thats why I lost my patience with athiesm (well, militant atheists) a long time ago. When you become what you started fighting against its time to call it quits.

I think we should ust be tolerant, because taking the moral highground is the best way to live.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
Necris
Bonitis.

Whether I agree with the billboard or not I don't see why people getting offended by a billboard is newsworthy, or even a a big deal.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
Treeunit212
Not your bro, bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
Atheism pisses me off, because these people seem to think they can get away with anything by justifying it with 'fact' and 'oh but Christians have done the same'. How about not lowering yourself to their level? Many atheists core argument is the violence and militant forcing of beliefs religions often have, and yet atheists have become a religion themselves and just as forcing of their opinions on people. So their reasoning for this hate campaign can't be based on protest against that. This only leaves their wish to force more people to believe in atheism (preaching?), which they are doing with controvserial and offensive ads. They're fighting fire with fire. Thats why I lost my patience with athiesm (well, militant atheists) a long time ago. When you become what you started fighting against its time to call it quits.

I think we should ust be tolerant, because taking the moral highground is the best way to live.
I agree completely with the stooping to their level thing.

But yeah, in the video he explains that it's not a war on anything, simply a calling to people who are afraid to be honest to their families about their lack of belief this time of year, for fear of being shunned and disowned by loved ones.

The main reason it is being seen as an attack on Christianity is because of news coverage like this.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
Treeunit212
Not your bro, bro.

Quote:
these people seem to think they can get away with anything by justifying it with 'fact'
Um.. Isn't that how court cases and murder trials are won?

Food for thought.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
Stealthdjentstic
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
This is equally as annoying as other religious billboards.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #13
Scar Symmetry
Ex Whiny Bitch

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:

I think we should just be tolerant, because taking the moral highground is the best way to live.
I agree with everything said in this post, which is why I don't worship the ground that Richard Dawkins walks on like some other atheists do. I am an atheist myself, but I don't use that as an excuse to be insensitive towards the religions of the world. Those religions exist for a reason and to instantly trash all of them on the grounds of 'superior logic' - which is a phrase I *really* don't agree with - is both insensitive and narrow-minded.

Logic is great for solving certain problems in life, not *all* of them. Sometimes a little faith goes a long way.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bull.....
Old 12-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
Randy
‡‡INITIALIZING‡‡
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLC©
Old 12-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #15
Treeunit212
Not your bro, bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!
...That didn't exist until Fox News created it!
Old 12-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #16
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

Quote:
Um.. Isn't that how court cases and murder trials are won?

Food for thought.
Oh I agree fact has its place, but on things like this, which can't be confirmed either way, what does fact achieve? And this isn't a trial, no one here has commit a crime. There is a freedom to believe what you want in this world, and you shouldn't be presuctued because of that. Being gay is not biologically correct, we're not supposed to be gay. But would you tell a gay person their life is wrong because we're not naturally supposed to be that way? No, because its not right.

Sometimes you just need to leave people to their own ends, even if it goes against what you percieve as fact. If they aren't hurting anyone, let them believe what they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Symmetry View Post
I agree with everything said in this post, which is why I don't worship the ground that Richard Dawkins walks on like some other atheists do. I am an atheist myself, but I don't use that as an excuse to be insensitive towards the religions of the world. Those religions exist for a reason and to instantly trash all of them on the grounds of 'superior logic' - which is a phrase I *really* don't agree with - is both insensitive and narrow-minded.

Logic is great for solving certain problems in life, not *all* of them. Sometimes a little faith goes a long way.

Exactly man, he's become like a figurehead for the atheist religion. Kinda like...Jesus? And thats the first mistake a lot of religions make; they base all their ideas from one source, which is always fallible. Nothing short of divinity or science itself can speak real truth. I'm agnostic myself, as I can't stand organised religion but I do think there is something more to everything. I think we all need an open mind.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #17
Scar Symmetry
Ex Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necris View Post
Whether I agree with the billboard or not I don't see why people getting offended by a billboard is newsworthy, or even a a big deal.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bull.....
Old 12-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #18
Necris
Bonitis.

^ That's exactly what I was going to post.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Old 12-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
Scar Symmetry
Ex Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Oh I agree fact has its place, but on things like this, which can't be confirmed either way, what does fact achieve? And this isn't a trial, no one here has commit a crime. There is a freedom to believe what you want in this world, and you shouldn't be presuctued because of that. Being gay is not biologically correct, we're not supposed to be gay. But would you tell a gay person their life is wrong because we're not naturally supposed to be that way? No, because its not right.

Sometimes you just need to leave people to their own ends, even if it goes against what you percieve as fact. If they aren't hurting anyone, let them believe what they want.

Exactly man, he's become like a figurehead for the atheist religion. Kinda like...Jesus? And thats the first mistake a lot of religions make; they base all their ideas from one source, which is always fallible. Nothing short of divinity or science itself can speak real truth. I'm agnostic myself, as I can't stand organised religion but I do think there is something more to everything. I think we all need an open mind.
So much win in one post. I'm so proud I could cry!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
Treeunit212
Not your bro, bro.

Quote:
Oh I agree fact has its place, but on things like this, which can't be confirmed either way, what does fact achieve? And this isn't a trial, no one here has commit a crime. There is a freedom to believe what you want in this world, and you shouldn't be presuctued because of that.
Agreed. I just thought it was a funny way to argue your point. Kind of like saying "What, you think you can get away with murder just because you didn't do it?!"

And that is what conspiracies are for...
Old 12-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #21
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Symmetry View Post
So much win in one post. I'm so proud I could cry!

You win more sir, for posting Steve Hughes. Love that guy.

Quote:
Agreed. I just thought it was a funny way to argue your point. Kind of like saying "What, you think you can get away with this just because you didn't do it?!"

And that is what conspiracies are for.. :P
Just because someone is technically 'right' doesn't mean they can parade around having a go at people and being a dick like some of these high and mighty atheists do. If you know you're right thats great, but it doesn't make you 'better' than anyone.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #22
Treeunit212
Not your bro, bro.

Indeed. And that can go both ways as well.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #23
Scar Symmetry
Ex Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Just because someone is technically 'right' doesn't mean they can parade around having a go at people and being a dick like some of these high and mighty atheists do. If you know you're right thats great, but it doesn't make you 'better' than anyone.
'Knowing' that you're 'right' is a very flimsy position that people seem to assume is very sturdy. Look at science - things often presented to us as fact often change once we gain new knowledge. That's the way life works; you only ever know as much as you know at the time of question and sticking to that position for whatever reason is entirely pointless because you will gain better knowledge at a later time. Just being open to change can make a huge difference, not only to yourself but to others too.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #24
Explorer
He seldomly knows...

Quote:

So, you're pissed at the outspoken atheists in question for being like outspoken Christians... and, at the same time, you are stating how you believe someone should act, and that those who move beyond what you decree acceptable are... intolerable.

*laugh*

Irony is everywhere... and so is intolerance.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Old 12-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #25
Scar Symmetry
Ex Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
So, you're pissed at the outspoken atheists in question for being like outspoken Christians... and, at the same time, you are stating how you believe someone should act, and that those who move beyond what you decree acceptable are... intolerable.

*laugh*

Irony is everywhere... and so is intolerance.
Intolerable? Dude his post says that we should all be more tolerant!

Closed Thread