homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations Luthier builds, restorations and modifications, luthier tools and supplies.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
cerfew
ss.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ibanez scale conversion/7th string/refinish

This isn't a thread asking what I should do, this is documenting what I'm currently doing (just so I don't get any posts saying 'it's a waste of time').

My friend had an Ibanez Gio (you know, the $5 guitars), and he also wanted a 7 string. After building my 7, he asked me if we could convert his guitar to a 7 string and I said sure, why not, I had extra wood left over to make a new neck out of.

I used the site Calculating Fret Positions to figure out the scale conversion- by adding 1 fret behind the nut, I increased the 25.5" scale to 27.016." Woo! perfect for a 7 string.

So far, I have routed out the neck pocket to accomodate the new neck. I will be replacing the Gio-style neck plate with Rg-style bolt bushings for a smoother feel.

The new bridge is going to be a flatmount, whereas the previous was one of those Strat-like tremolos. I have routed a cavity around the old spring cavity in the shape of a perfect rectangle, as well as around the bridge route, so they can be filled in solid with a chunk of Maple. I'm curious to see how this is going to sound...

PICTURES COMING SOON!!!
cerfew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
ralphy1976
1 less ERGNESS

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
good luck man, building threads are always a win in my opinion!!!
ralphy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
cerfew
ss.org Regular

Pics. Guitar all stripped...

Planned new neck pocket:

Odd shape will be explained later.

Paint stripped:

I used a big machine belt sander to get the top and bottom, and a spindle sander (spinning dildo sander... lmao) to get the sides. I had to use a rasp & sandpaper to get the round edges, that was a pain in the ass.

Modified lower horn, and hardly visible bevel. Nobody is gonna be able to tell this was a GIO, lol...

Truss rod access. Anyone have an idea for a cover plate? The headstock is going to be painted black.

This guitar is pretty much a cheap piece of .... though. The routes look hand-done, and are horrible. Looks like the router bit was dull as hell too. The body is made from MANY pieces of maple glued together, with a ....ty looking plywood veneer thrown on the top and bottom.

Also, I routed around the bridge cavity and spring cavity, and filled them in with blocks. The bridge one can be seen above, here is the spring cavity:

The bridge route came out a little tighter, but I was still happy with how well the pieces fit. I can fill the gap in with wood putty.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
BlackMastodon
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Very well done. Can't wait to see the finished product. You basically took a Gio and made it into a Prestige, or at least will be.
BlackMastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
clouds
SS.org Regular

Keep the updates comin!
clouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
Mordacain
1-watt brigadier

Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Awesome work so far man! I love following the project threads. Keep at it!

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #7
OrsusMetal
In brightest day...

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
More stuff like this needs to happen, way more often. I'll be watching this thread! Keep up the great work!
OrsusMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:26 AM   #8
cerfew
ss.org Regular

SOB! I just wrote out a whole post with a ton of pics in it, then actually clicked the wrong button and went away from the page... lost all my progress. :O it's past midnight, and I don't feel like retyping it all. update coming tomorrow
Old 12-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #9
jymellis
Talk To DeWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerfew View Post
SOB! I just wrote out a whole post with a ton of pics in it, then actually clicked the wrong button and went away from the page... lost all my progress. :O it's past midnight, and I don't feel like retyping it all. update coming tomorrow

FUK
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #10
OrsusMetal
In brightest day...

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Damnit! Hurry up and post again!!! I want to see more of this.
OrsusMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
scherzo1928
has wood for you

crap, how did I miss this thread?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
cerfew
ss.org Regular

Well, here is the new neck joint:

And from the side:

Much better than the stock GIO steel plate, lol.

Neck bolted on, bridge placed:

That was actually my most exciting moment right there, lol. I'm going to have to design my own pickguard, because the stock one no longer fits well between the neck and the bridge- there's about a cm gap from the bridge, and the neck protrudes about 8mm into the neck humbucker pocket. The blank material is on the way, I think I'm going to make a template and just route it out.

I stained the fretboard black. It looks pretty good, but I can't get a decent picture of it, sorry. I also did the walnut headstock laminate; I'm hoping that with the clear coat it's going to look gorgeous.

And, I found that since the center of the guitar is maple, the stomach comfort bevel has some REALLY nice flame going on... So I stained it, and it's going to be clear, just right there. Lol.

The rest of the guitar will be gray, with a black strip of faux-binding around the edges.

I started the carving of the heel and the volute:

However these are still in a pretty rough stage, and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the volute or not, due to the ugly glue joint. Unless I paint the back of the headstock.

Fret bender:

Result:

Much easier than what i did last time (cut the lenghts first, then tried to bend around something with a small radius... :p)

Anyways, that's all I've got. Right now I'm in the process of grain filling the body so I can begin painting it once the weather clears up.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
Mordacain
1-watt brigadier

Awesome work man! Love the stain on that contour. A suggestion though, you might want to use a single-coil sized double-rail humbucker since the fretboard extrudes into the normal humbucker space. Ultimately it will sound more like it should using the single coil size.

Keep it coming!

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Old 12-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
cerfew
ss.org Regular

Hmm, that's a really good idea actually... I like it. I'll incorporate it when I build the pickguard.

Only problem is that means I can't buy the used pickup I was planning on getting, lol.

EDIT: I can't find any decent 7-string single-coil size pickups. I guess that idea isn't going to work after all.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #15
Mordacain
1-watt brigadier

Yea, Seymour Duncan makes some of their better single coils in 7 string config, but not their hotrails for some reason. Dimarzio similarly doesn't.

I have read that will make them special order though I have no idea what pricing would be like.

Since that would probably be cost-prohibitive, it will probably be ok, looks like it will only be moved a CM or so south.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #16
BlackMastodon
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

Looks amazing man. Not sure if I'm digging the sharp corners on that fretboard cut but it still beats the hell out of a GIO, keep it up.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #17
Stealthdjentstic
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Interesting to see how this turns out. Keep up the good work comrade.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #18
cerfew
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMastodon View Post
Looks amazing man. Not sure if I'm digging the sharp corners on that fretboard cut but it still beats the hell out of a GIO, keep it up.
The only reason I did that is because when I was routing the fretboard taper, a HUGE chunk chipped off right there. I didn't want to try and fill it with sawdust so I just cut off more to incorporate it into the design.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #19
joaocunha
A nomad

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Dude, you're a genious. Really. Just subscribed to the thread, keep it updated.

Nice deals with: zimbloth, Leon, slimegod, TMM, angus, 7 Dying Trees, OrsusMetal, iondestroyer1527, mgcasella, lobee, zomb13, Elysian, Toshiro, smith10210, tecniq, maxident213, code001, Galius, turmoil, highlordmugfug, Revan132, beneharris, MastrXploder, jordanky, Jstring, myampslouder, Michael T, Levi79, Aurochs34
joaocunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #20
BlackMastodon
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerfew View Post
The only reason I did that is because when I was routing the fretboard taper, a HUGE chunk chipped off right there. I didn't want to try and fill it with sawdust so I just cut off more to incorporate it into the design.
I don't mind the cut fret board on the higher frets of the lower strings, i just personally would have rounded the fret board in that area to be more of a wave shave or a smooth curve. All personal preference though.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #21
cerfew
ss.org Regular

Ah, I see now. Personal preference, I agree
Old 12-19-2010, 01:59 AM   #22
Dark Aegis
Wolves Of Walnutport

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I like it so far, very unique
Dark Aegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #23
AvantGuardian
Orange Vigilante

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Wow, cool project! Can't wait to see how this one looks when its finished. Also, that figure on the maple is a crazy find. Seems odd that such a nice cut of maple would be thrown into the middle of a Gio body.

Metameric - "Sneaky prog rock" straight outta Seattle
(Our EP is now streaming for free!):
www.facebook.com/metamericband

www.twitter.com/metamericband

www.reverbnation.com/metameric
AvantGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #24
JamesM
The Armada

Looks great.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #25
cerfew
ss.org Regular

Here's the guitar, all covered in grain filler (wood putty) before sanding.

Then I cleaned it all up, sprayed 3 coats of Zinsser's aerosol shellac, let it dry, and wet/dry sanded it.

I have seriously never felt a smoother finish, lol. And this is only the primer stage!!! I had to use shellac, because of that one stained area in the back. Tomorrow I'm going to be painting the actual color. Woo! (As long as the weather is decent)

I also have been working on the pickguard. When I got the material, I made a template and fit it on.. There was BARELY enough room for it, maybe 1/16" space total on the sides.

Then I routed it and... ....! I put the shiny side on the wrong side, so the top is now crappy plastic. Ugh. It's alright though; I fixed it. What I did was drill the holes, and countersink them, then bevel the edges, then paint it with flat black. Came out pretty awesome, I think. Still need to finish the neck cavity joint, drill holes for electronics and route pickup slots.

Before, this side looked ugly as hell. I'm glad the paint covered it up; I used 3 coats.

Another thing-- see the lowermost hole? When I was drilling the recess holes, the bit grabbed on that one and sucked straight through- in other words, the hole was way to big kuz the bit went through. I was able to fill the hole with superglue and re-drill-- that was lucky. Because all I had was super thin viscosity, when I was trying to fill the hole it ran all over the place, including down the back to my finger where I didn't see it, glueing my finger to it. That was a fun experience, lol.

So, like I said, I should be able to start painting tomorrow.