homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations Luthier builds, restorations and modifications, luthier tools and supplies.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
airpanos
Let's Rock

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A heavy flyin-V

Hi to all there,i want to build a custom 7 string guitar,i have a lot of experience with woodwork,but i've never try that one.
The specs will be:A longer neck,probably 10 cm longer than the usual,and i want to do a solid construction so i will make it neck -through.
2 humbuckers maybe active,i haven't decide it yet,and i think to put a fernandes sustainer.
The bridge will be solid,no trem and stuff.
I need some opinion for the wood,will pine do the work? It's the only wood available for the moment,i've read they use it on old telecasters,but will it work for a heavy metal guitar?
Any advice will be acceptable thanks!
airpanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
airpanos
Let's Rock

Well,anyone who has experience on guitar building could give me some tips?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
RestorationAD
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pine will be fine as a body wood. It is very musical. There are considerations with pine. Try to find good clear dry pine. Pine knots are horrible. They move and spew sap for years... also Pine is very sappy so make sure you get a good dry piece.

Pine will not work for the neck though. You will need a harder wood for that.

And any guitar can be a heavy metal guitar... the dude playing it makes it metal. \m/
What you want to do is build the best sounding guitar you can then let the player dictate what it plays.

Check the "woods for a metal guitar" thread
RestorationAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
airpanos
Let's Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestorationAD View Post
Pine will be fine as a body wood. It is very musical. There are considerations with pine. Try to find good clear dry pine. Pine knots are horrible. They move and spew sap for years... also Pine is very sappy so make sure you get a good dry piece.

Pine will not work for the neck though. You will need a harder wood for that.

And any guitar can be a heavy metal guitar... the dude playing it makes it metal. \m/
What you want to do is build the best sounding guitar you can then let the player dictate what it plays.

Check the "woods for a metal guitar" thread
Thanks for the information,i search for some solid wood for this.
Today i make a fast plan,it will be a little sharp at the ends.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp GUITAR#2.bmp (421.9 KB, 241 views)
Old 10-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
LEWY7777777
SS.org Regular

Pine will be a very conductive guitar body wood as long as its a suitable piece, I believe it will produce a warm rich sound , this could be very pleasing.
And yes definitely use a nice hardwood for the neck. You don't have to use maple. Although maple would work very nicely. I would use rosewood , wenge, or ebony. Just because every guitar off the shelf and its brother is a maple neck guitar. Maple adds a fizzy brightness and is somewhat rich yet flat with a reflective quality to the sound -Great for live high volume applications for the reflective tone aspect.
I would use it as a backing soundboard before anything else only for this purpose. Its greatest strength. maybe with some other wood for the top. Like swamp ash. Yep with pine thats what I would do make a semi hollow or chambered pine body with maple back and swamp ash top of course thicknesses are very important in this type of application. Thats just me of course. Now considering looks and std. procedure would dictate that you just use a pine body with maple top or no top and glue them on the neck wood. Wich would work. Sorry for the long post just some guitar nerdature. Good luck.
LEWY7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
gnroach
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by airpanos View Post
Hi to all there,i want to build a custom 7 string guitar,i have a lot of experience with woodwork,but i've never try that one.
The specs will be:A longer neck,probably 10 cm longer than the usual,and i want to do a solid construction so i will make it neck -through.
2 humbuckers maybe active,i haven't decide it yet,and i think to put a fernandes sustainer.
The bridge will be solid,no trem and stuff.
I need some opinion for the wood,will pine do the work? It's the only wood available for the moment,i've read they use it on old telecasters,but will it work for a heavy metal guitar?
Any advice will be acceptable thanks!
10 more centimeters are a lot! its like 4 inches!! do you want a bass??
pine is too soft in my opinion to use for an electric guitar, it bends too easily, and this could be aproblem with changing humidity.
if you are searching in the "construction" woods, try oak or mahogany...those will be much better
gnroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
airpanos
Let's Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEWY7777777 View Post
Pine will be a very conductive guitar body wood as long as its a suitable piece, I believe it will produce a warm rich sound , this could be very pleasing.
And yes definitely use a nice hardwood for the neck. You don't have to use maple. Although maple would work very nicely. I would use rosewood , wenge, or ebony. Just because every guitar off the shelf and its brother is a maple neck guitar. Maple adds a fizzy brightness and is somewhat rich yet flat with a reflective quality to the sound -Great for live high volume applications for the reflective tone aspect.
I would use it as a backing soundboard before anything else only for this purpose. Its greatest strength. maybe with some other wood for the top. Like swamp ash. Yep with pine thats what I would do make a semi hollow or chambered pine body with maple back and swamp ash top of course thicknesses are very important in this type of application. Thats just me of course. Now considering looks and std. procedure would dictate that you just use a pine body with maple top or no top and glue them on the neck wood. Wich would work. Sorry for the long post just some guitar nerdature. Good luck.
Thanks for the answer,your version seems it will work great,however,i came with the plan A which is :a neck through pine neck and pine body,with ebony fretboard,the neck will be thicker than a usual ,with a thicker truss rod.That's because it will be a cheap project,well it is my first attempt and i do not want to mess with expensive woods.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
airpanos
Let's Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnroach View Post
10 more centimeters are a lot! its like 4 inches!! do you want a bass??
pine is too soft in my opinion to use for an electric guitar, it bends too easily, and this could be aproblem with changing humidity.
if you are searching in the "construction" woods, try oak or mahogany...those will be much better
I do not want a bass,i want a heavier sound than usual,well maybe the length will be 2''inches more,i have not decided yet.
Those woods work great but as i said i want a cheap solution.
I will give it a try,maybe it will be a waste of time at the end,but i want to see how it works.Thanks for the advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gggggg (Medium).jpg (19.2 KB, 150 views)
Old 10-28-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
airpanos
Let's Rock

In the past week i search for some hard pine wood in the forest near my house,so i found a half-dead pine dropped down,i think it's kinda hard but it sure needs to let dry for some weeks, maybe months.
Anyway i cut 3 pieces of that poor tree,one for the neck and 2 smaller for the body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo-0004.jpg (441.1 KB, 132 views)
Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #10
airpanos
Let's Rock

I need a lesson about posting pics here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo-0001.jpg (553.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Photo-0006.jpg (410.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Photo-0007.jpg (614.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Photo-0008.jpg (574.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Photo-0005.jpg (446.0 KB, 662 views)
Old 10-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #11
airpanos
Let's Rock

I don't have any special tools for wood,so it is hard to give fast the shape i want,here i use a tajima handsaw and a hammer-chisel technique like ancient people did to square those woods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo-0009.jpg (485.1 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0001 (Medium).JPG (33.0 KB, 228 views)
Old 10-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #12
airpanos
Let's Rock

Τhe idea is to plan those pieces straight,so i first use the angle-grinder with
16'' grit and then sand them down to flat enough with a 60''grit paper glued
on a straight piece of wood.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #13
airpanos
Let's Rock

..http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=16400252
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=16400251
Old 10-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #14
ralphy1976
1 less ERGNESS

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
you are going to do all this with just 1 tool? really?

also to load pictures you need to upload them in a place like photobucket and then copy the address of each pics in something like this :

[img]adress of pic[/img]

or press on the 2nd icon from the right (when you reply) and paste in your picture link
ralphy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #15
airpanos
Let's Rock

Yeah,i am not a pro,but i have some tools,but cutting those ones will be done
with a handsaw,real slow,but now i have no job so i don't bother to make it fast.
Thanks for help.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #16
darren
Decibel Guitars

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Those pieces of wood don't look very straight-grained and they seem to have a lot of knots. Not sure if they're going to be stable enough for building a guitar out of.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #17
SirMyghin
The Dirt Guy

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Cudos for attempting to build without most basic tools, but I really do not think it is the best idea. Working with rough lumber like you are showing is a very bad idea though. You will need to season it for months, not to mention the pieces you are showing are quite inadequate.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #18
airpanos
Let's Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Those pieces of wood don't look very straight-grained and they seem to have a lot of knots. Not sure if they're going to be stable enough for building a guitar out of.
Yes there are a lot of knots but i think this wood is good for making at least the body,my biggest concern is for the neck,i am afraid to use this kind of wood for the neck because it doesn't seem so solid.
By the way i check your site it is very good,i get so much info from your articles,you do a hell of a job on those hand-crafted guitars.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #19
airpanos
Let's Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
Cudos for attempting to build without most basic tools, but I really do not think it is the best idea. Working with rough lumber like you are showing is a very bad idea though. You will need to season it for months, not to mention the pieces you are showing are quite inadequate.
Yes it is not the best solution but as i said i don't want to buy anything, except from things a can not make my self.
I don't care how much time will that build take,as long it's gonna be at least good.Thanks for support,and as you wrote i will need more wood for the body.

I make a plan for the body construction,and i think i will make it this way,2 pieces of pine glued together for the body,the back layer's strains will follow the neck's flow and the upper layer of wood will be set vertically,for added strength.
However i don't know how that will affect the sound.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #20
Raist
ss.org Regular

Lumber which you are using is unusable for building a guitar as it is, as above posters have stated the wood that is used in instrument building needs to be dried and seasoned for months or preferably years to get usable moisture levels and prevent warping and the destruction of the whole instrument. The wood will in addition be moist and harder to work with and heavier as an instrument to play. It isn't really good for the purpose you're using it.
Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #21
airpanos
Let's Rock

I am not a luthier or something,but just look at this guy

tell me this is something proper to make a guitar out of...
Old 10-31-2010, 08:22 AM   #22
airpanos
Let's Rock

A quick plan for the neck here.
According it will be at 27''scale,how long should the truss rod must be?

http://s942.photobucket.com/albums/a...nt=jjjjjjj.jpg
Old 10-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #23
scherzo1928
has wood for you

I think that a standard 18" truss rod will do fine.
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #24
SirMyghin
The Dirt Guy

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpanos View Post
A quick plan for the neck here.
According it will be at 27''scale,how long should the truss rod must be?

jjjjjjj.jpg picture by airpanos21 - Photobucket
How long is your neck, you do not want the truss rod to extend into the body, it will anchor near the last few frets. So assuming you have a design, just find the closest to that length.

As far as a shovel being proper, that guy obviously knows what he is doing, has the tools, and not to mention a shovel would have a maple or ash handle, typically seasoned and clear grained so it can stand up to work better. Your wood shows none of those properties.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #25
TomPerverteau
Tube & Analog Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestorationAD View Post
...any guitar can be a heavy metal guitar... the dude playing it makes it metal. \m/
Excellent.

"I don't think I have ever seen a guitar with an input jack."
TomPerverteau is offline   Reply With Quote