homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food Exercise plans, recipes & general healthy living discussion here.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Origin
Rainbow In The Dark

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Starting to actually get into running

I've been flirting with going running since about the ass-end of last winter, going about 3km (with numerous walking stops) every few nights. I also started reshaping my diet to include no fast food/pop/etc. In the past 3/4 of a year I've flaked on it a lot, got back into it, flaked, took a break for two weeks at a time, etc. and never made much progress.

Last month or two I've been forcing myself to go regularly, and even extended my route to 5k, but I would still stop often to walk and huff and puff, especially in the recent heat wave. A few nights ago coinciding with the nicely dropping temperature and partly due to my 24/7 green tea BINGE, I finally got my first personal milestone down of going 5 kilometers without stopping or walking at any point. And tonight I did it again.

Full-time school and work make it kinda a bitch, but it feels great to be improving and actually committing to losing the small amount of weight I want to lose/replace with muscle and drastically improving my cardio health. (I'm only 20 but .... it)

TL;DR Anyone have any tips or experiences to share pertaining to getting into more advanced/extended running? I know I'm barely at the tip of the iceberg, but I want to get to 10k in the next year or so.

Thanks dudes
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
MaxOfMetal
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I remember awhile back there was a similar thread to this. Tiger (SSO's fitness guru of such) gave the recommendation of going to a "real" shoe store and getting a premium pair of running shoes professionally fit for optimum comfort and ergonomics. Some places will apparently tape your feet running on a treadmill to help analyze what shoes fit you best. Something I never would have thought up, but makes tons of sense.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
FretWizard88
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dude, running is AMAZING! (Never thought I would say that) I was like you, I started running short distances and was off and on. When spring came around, I was determined to keep at it. I began running four miles every day to every other day, and I just fell in love with it. Not only do you feel good about yourself, but you feel a lot better physically as well.

Hope you keep up with it man.
FretWizard88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Origin
Rainbow In The Dark

I've been going every couple days as muh schedule allows. It's been getting easier and easier to do. Except my hips and legs still kill the day after. Still, I might start going my 3k route on the days I can't go all 5 cause of doing assignments/shifts and .... just to do SOMETHING.

So far so good though.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
ivancic1al
Probrem?

If you search proper running posture/breathing, it makes your runs a lot less terrible I've found. If you start to feel like ...., try finding a breathing rhythm in through your nose,out through your mouth. It helps more than you think. Might be old news, but it's really simple and a lot pf people aren't really aware of it I've found. Best of luck to you!

Just as awesome as he is stupid.

Dun, dadada dadadadada dun.

CLIMB-FIGHT-THROW-CLIMB-FIGHT-THROW-CLIMB-FIGHT-THROW-CHASE-RAPE-THROW!
ivancic1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
thraxil
cylon

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I run 5-10k every day to every other day. I've recently gotten my girlfriend to start running with me too.

Consistency is more important than getting your distance up for now. Keep with running every other day or so until you're not feeling sore the next day. Then try to get out every single day. Keep the distance short enough that you aren't injuring yourself. Distance can come later with time. What you want is for it to turn into a habit kind of like showering where, if you haven't gone for a run that day, you'll feel uncomfortable like something's missing.

Personally, I really prefer to run early in the morning. There are fewer other people out to get in the way, it's usually cooler, it's easier to run on an empty stomach, and it's a nice wakeup. I can roll out of bed, run for an hour, take a shower and feel like I've already accomplished something for the day.

Also: drink a ton of water. Most people are mildly dehydrated most of the time. Being well hydrated is very important to feeling good when you run.
thraxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
Krankguitarist
SS.org Regular

Good form and posture is really important while running...not only does it make your runs easier, it also helps to prevent injury.

Good shoes are an important factor as well. Here's a good rundown:

How to Choose Running Shoes!

For instance, I overpronate a little and have relatively low arches. I used to use a cushioned trainer for running, and those...well...didn't work out too well for me. I'm using a stability shoe now, and it makes doing my interval sprints MUCH more enjoyable. I'm a fan of new balances, but there are plenty of companies out there that make good shoes.

Also, if you ever feel like you're getting bored with distance running, try changing up your routine with interval sprints. Makes for a shorter, more intense workout.
Krankguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
meisterjager
Now available in HD

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
There's an awesome 1.1 mile (1.7km) run I used to do when I was fit (mid-teens). I used to do 2 laps of that every other day, then the first time I sat and mapped out a 3.7 mile (6km), I despised doing it, and got so bored doing laps of the short route that I just stopped doing it.

I'd love to take it up now I'm not quite so ADD about life Don't reckon my knees would like me for doing it now I'm about 16st, 6'1".

So, yeah.. I envy you!
meisterjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
thraxil
cylon

You're stretching after runs, right? Stretching beforehand when your muscles are cold is pointless, but afterwards it's essential and will go a long ways towards preventing injury and making you less sore the next day.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
Scar Symmetry
Ex Whiny Bitch

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've got back into it as well, I'm feeling fitter than ever

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bull.....
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
Origin
Rainbow In The Dark

I'm stretching both before and after but if before is useless then I can ditch it I guess haha. The hydration thing is a no-brainer but I appreciate the push since I haven't been taking a bottle with me or anything. I'll start of course. I have a really nice pair of Asics I use, so there's no worries there; my feet have very pronounced (off the ground ) arches, and they feel absolutely fine after running...love Asics My legs have been firming and I'm a little less spaghetti-legged after each one

And I'll definitely look into the breathing and posture, I appreciate that.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #12
techcoreriffman
: roll :

3rd year xc runner here
One thing you HAVE to remember, is to warmup, and then stretch, BEFORE a run, and then, you need to cool down at least a mile AND THEN STRETCH afterwards. Or you will hurt and possibly develop a chronic injury.

Something else is to make sure your back is straight, and that you have good arm movement and leg lift. Also, breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, in a controlled way. If you're going on a long, easy-paced run, and your breathing is ragged, you are going too fast.

If you want to really step up, you can have a schedule of hard-easy-hard days, that's what my team does. My schedule is usually Monday: 800 meter repeats (generally 6), Tuesday: Long run (6-7 miles, plus warm-up/cool-down) Wednesday: 200 yard hill repeats (12-16), Thursday: long recovery run (5-6 miles, plus warm-up/cool-down), Friday: 400m repeats (12-18), Saturday: Extremely easy day, 3 miles, Sunday: Long run, 6 ish miles.

Something else to remember is to have a good diet. Eating like .... will make you feel like .....
Hope I helped/ shed some light on something

[SevenStringSam] 8:31 pm: im literally gunna shove an ice dildo up my ass

[Necris] 4:55 pm: Its like going balls deep on a whale when its rectum is made of cactuses.
[Necris] 4:56 pm: Another song title.
techcoreriffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #13
rvoteary
Cocaine Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You'll be doing 10 way before another year goes by
rvoteary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
Origin
Rainbow In The Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoteary View Post
You'll be doing 10 way before another year goes by
You could just go on msn and tell me that
Old 09-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
Krankguitarist
SS.org Regular

There's been some studies on static stretching before exercise in the past 10 years, and it seems that it might not be as beneficial as previously thought. In fact, some reports claim that it can destabilize your muscle fibers, making them less prepared for exercise.

If you ask me: it's probably a good idea to skip the static stretches in your warm up. That means the stretches where you hold a position for 10-30 counts or so. Ditch 'em. Try dynamic stretches instead: lunges, torso twists, side bends, arm circles, etc. Just work through your whole range of motion.
Krankguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
BrutalExorcist
Chronic Chugger

I'll probably have about 30 people attempting to stab me with spears for saying this, but as expensive as it is, check out getting a heart rate monitor watch. Definitely look for one which reads from a monitor strapped around your middle torso, and preferably use one which will convert your heart rate into percentage of your maximum heart rate. I use an Timex Ironman Road Trainer, and at first I worried that I was blowing $102 on a fancy piece of bloated crap, but it's helped me quit my overtraining-undertraining spiral and more methodically plan my runs. It also helped me get through my first trial 20K run a couple days ago in a long time by alerting me I pretty much used up my carbohydrate reserves on the last few miles, so I dropped back to my Zone 2 (60-70% MHR, fat burning zone) to get through the rest of the run.

Do you NEED one? Nope, not at all. It's more of a Cadillac vs Chevy comparison than a Cadillac vs Schwinn Bicycle one.
BrutalExorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #17
mmr007
ss.org Regular

try doing the long distance every other day...and between those days do wind sprints as fast as possible. you could just go out on your street and run 40 meters, walk back, then run it again....do that about 30-40 times. One, you get to rest (briefly) but sprinting burns more fat than jogging, also, after stretching your muscles for sprinting, jogging will feel easier.

If the terrain allows, try jogging up hills over and over...that is a great workout for calves and strenghtens them for flat running

take aleve....seriously....not tylenol...just aleve...that .... is like morphine for your muscles. if you are still sore the next day take a few aleve and you'll be good to go

I mostly come out at night....mostly
mmr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #18
thraxil
cylon

I'll second the heartrate monitor recommendation. I don't use mine anymore but they're great for learning to pace yourself. When you're starting out and don't have a good sense of how your body reacts to running it's really easy to start out running way too hard and burn yourself out early.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #19
Origin
Rainbow In The Dark

I'll keep the monitor in mind, but so far I'm not straining myself very hard; I feel great afterwards, only my hips tend to be sore for a day or two, and not nearly enough to make me not able to run again. no marathons yet for me. I'll see if my dad has some kind of monitor (casual runner too) laying around since I don't really want to budget it at the moment with tuition and the 8 getting built nagging at me, but the pacing aspect does interest me a lot.

Had a brief antsy period where I hadn't run for 3 days straight; kept doing things/hanging out later towards the night and using the 'ehn' excuse. Decided to piss myself off and force myself to go while in a state of lethargy after work today. Worked going to try and step up to at least every other day to shake off the ehns.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #20
matty2fatty
SS.org Regular

Go find 'The Running Room's' training programs. I did it last spring for something to do, and went from 3 or 4 km runs to up to 18kms at a time, and feeling great the whole way through. The program is spread out over 4 months.

You'll be amazed at the progress you can make. I only loosely followed the program and still drank and smoked on the weekends, and still made great gains

I'd have to say shredding is more than just soloing... Its taking that axe and making it your bitch - Sniper Johnny
matty2fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #21
Origin
Rainbow In The Dark

18?!? ....! I'll look into it, thanks.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #22
MFB
ExBendable

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I'm currently doing about 1.5 miles a day at the gym, but I do it at resistance level 3 (not quite sure what that'd be like in real terrain) and surprisingly I made the same time as when I was in 8th grade. Not sure what to think about that

exbendableart.com
MFB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #23
matty2fatty
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin View Post
18?!? ....! I'll look into it, thanks.
Yeah man. After a certain point its more mental than anything, you just resign yourself to do it. I have a friend training for a full marathon right now, he needs to run 36km on Sunday as part of his training

I'd have to say shredding is more than just soloing... Its taking that axe and making it your bitch - Sniper Johnny
matty2fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #24
Origin
Rainbow In The Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post
I'm currently doing about 1.5 miles a day at the gym, but I do it at resistance level 3 (not quite sure what that'd be like in real terrain) and surprisingly I made the same time as when I was in 8th grade. Not sure what to think about that
I'm not sure either, I run around my town and there's varying inclines and terrain. Some of it is just ....ing annoying. Well...in 8th grade I couldn't run a block without spitting up and falling over, so you already have an edge on me I haven't tried going for a specific time yet but I'd probably do badly haha.

Praise the sun!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #25
Origin
Rainbow In The Dark

Retaining consistency of every other day (or 3 if I get butt....ed by obligations); route is becoming increasingly easy Hooray! N ....

Praise the sun!