homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Slayer89
The Demon Barber

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Magic the Gathering!

So ... what happened to the old thread? I just went to post in it and the multi-page thread of nerdiness is gone.

There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with ....
And the vermin of the world inhabit it
But not for long ...

Slayer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Psychobuddy
edxgxsrfrz

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Must have...uhm died?

I don't know, but no one posted in it for a long time, did you search for it?

Anyway what were you going to post in it?
Psychobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Slayer89
The Demon Barber

Yeah, I looked through my subscribed threads and and searched the forum but didn't see it at all. I last posted in it about a week or so ago. Anywho ...

Anyone else play in GameDay? I ended up playing with my BW World Queller Stax brew and went 2-2-1. Not too bad all things considered.

But not for long ...

Old 08-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Xaios
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer89 View Post
Yeah, I looked through my subscribed threads and and searched the forum but didn't see it at all. I last posted in it about a week or so ago. Anywho ...

Anyone else play in GameDay? I ended up playing with my BW World Queller Stax brew and went 2-2-1. Not too bad all things considered.
I did, did pretty well. I went 3-0-1 in the round robin to tie for 1st. Our store decided to have a top 8 in order to give away some old promo cards they had lying around, good stuff for EDH (even though I don't play EDH). Both me and the other fellow who went 3-0-1 to tie for first got eliminated in the top 4 by people we had beat earlier in the day. Interesting grudge match kinda thing.

I was playing the trusty W/U Allies with control splashed. Allies have always served me well. What was surprising though was that several people who normally run very strong decks were running these weird experimental creations that had little to no play testing. The guy I beat in my first matchup was running a wall deck with Near-Death Experience as the win condition. Also, my first matchup in the top 8 was against someone running Relentless Rats. I mopped the floor with both of them.

Probably the most interesting match I played was against someone running a combination of Mythic Conscription and a deck based on Aura Gnarlid (super powerful card in the right hands, btw) and Kor Spirit-Dancer. It was a VERY tactical game, with both of us playing very conservative, reactive games, because both our decks had some level of control, but relied on pure beatdown to win. I beat him 2-1, but only by a hair, as I only had 2 life when I killed him, and he had an Aura Gnarlid out with Eldrazi Conscription. I only won because I was able to drop a second Kabira Evangel and gain protection from both of his defenders' colors and walk around them to damage him for 1 more than his life total. Amazing matchup, though.

The guy I tied was running an interesting R/B variant of classic Grixis Discard. He laid me to waste in round one, but my sideboard was basically tailored specifically to shut down Red and Black, so I took round 2. Our round 3 went into overtime with neither of us in a position to win, so the judge called it a tie.

The guy who knocked me out of top 8 was running U/B control. I managed to beat him 2-1 in the round robin because he had ....ty draws. He beat me 2-0 in top 4, albeit in 2 VERY LONG games.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
Slayer89
The Demon Barber

Sounds like fun man. Yeah, I usually run one of the Top decks, but decided to brew up my own list for this one. I have to admit that I was also surprised by the amount of "weird, experimental" decks. Made for a fun day, though.

My draw was against Next Level Bant (well, that's the closest thing to it I can think of) and actually was my first ever draw. First game we kept gaining life until we were both above 30 before we started beating on each other, haha. He ended up taking that one with 2 or 3 Baneslayers. I stabilized early with a Queller game 2 and almost had the win when time was called, so I got that one and ended it on 1-1.

But not for long ...

Old 08-21-2010, 03:27 AM   #6
PirateMetalTroy
The Tooth Fairy

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
why do you newschool MTG players have to be so lame. I can't afford to have another hobby, or take up old ones.

My black/blue necropotence deck will have to suffice for...ever? wanna buy my cards?
PirateMetalTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
Slayer89
The Demon Barber

Necropotence = Neat-o

But not for long ...

Old 08-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
Guamskyy
Hwat you call me?

When I think of Magic the Gathering, I think of North Carolina, T-Pain's song "Buy You a Drank" and Rihanna's "Umbrella" just released as singles, staying up late, screaming nephew, and The Marines. Those were the good days, and that was 3 years ago

You gotta pay the troll toll, to get into the boy's hole.

My bandcamp for my music project, Guamskyy. Enjoy!
Guamskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 AM   #9
Xaios
Foolish Mortal

So, picked up some Jace, The Mind Sculptors today. I bought 3. This card is worth $85.00 a piece. I got them for $45.00 each.

So, I now have 5 Jace, The Mind Sculptors and 5 Primeval Titans. Life is good.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:52 AM   #10
Slayer89
The Demon Barber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaios View Post
So, picked up some Jace, The Mind Sculptors today. I bought 3. This card is worth $85.00 a piece. I got them for $45.00 each.

What?! You are unofficially uncool.

How the hell did you get Mind Sculptors for that cheap?

But not for long ...

Old 08-26-2010, 04:40 AM   #11
Breakdown
SS.org Regular

Ive been trying to get into this game but I just dont get it. Im too used to the yugioh TCG XD
Breakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:52 AM   #12
Daemoniac
Rivethead Magnate.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^ Once you get this down, it's infinitely more fun than teh Yugioh stuff
Daemoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:58 AM   #13
Daemoniac
Rivethead Magnate.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ALso, I have no idea wtf happened to my original one (the thread that is)
Daemoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #14
Psychobuddy
edxgxsrfrz

Quote:
Jealous...
Old 08-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
Xaios
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
What?! You are unofficially uncool.

How the hell did you get Mind Sculptors for that cheap?
Apparently some dude who had just moved up to town from down south came into the store and sold them his whole collection, which (among several other awesome cards) included 5 JTMS's. The store actually held on to the stuff for a week to make sure that it wasn't stolen. After that, the store owner basically just priced the Jaces to sell (everything else they got was priced at market value) so they could get rid of them fast, and it worked. He stickered them at $50.00, and with my store discount, I got them for $45.00.

Basically, I got INCREDIBLY lucky. I was in the store at exactly the right time. Another hour and they would have probably been gone.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #16
Psychobuddy
edxgxsrfrz

Very lucky...

Are you going to sell any of your Jaces? There's not much that can be done with five, well there is, but fives a lot...unless your very blue heavy.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #17
Slayer89
The Demon Barber

Quote:
Apparently some dude who had just moved up to town from down south came into the store and sold them his whole collection, which (among several other awesome cards) included 5 JTMS's. The store actually held on to the stuff for a week to make sure that it wasn't stolen. After that, the store owner basically just priced the Jaces to sell (everything else they got was priced at market value) so they could get rid of them fast, and it worked. He stickered them at $50.00, and with my store discount, I got them for $45.00.

Basically, I got INCREDIBLY lucky. I was in the store at exactly the right time. Another hour and they would have probably been gone.
Damn, that's pretty awesome. I remember I sold my one copy of JTMS for $45 around the time they came out and thought I had gotten the good deal, haha.

But not for long ...

Old 08-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #18
Xaios
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychobuddy_101 View Post
Very lucky...

Are you going to sell any of your Jaces? There's not much that can be done with five, well there is, but fives a lot...unless your very blue heavy.
I plan on keeping 4 out of 5 of them, as that's the most that can be played in a deck. I did purchase the last one intending to trade it, as I'll be able to get excellent value for it. I could probably get $90-$100 worth of cards for it, which isn't a bad trade up from $45. I also plan on trading one of the Primeval Titans I have. I was thinking of maybe trading the Jace, Primeval Titan and a couple more cards for 2 Elspeths and 2 Gideon Juras. Of course, I may also just sit on them until Scars of Mirrodin comes out and use them for trade fodder at that point. In the end though, I don't plan on keeping the extras.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
Psychobuddy
edxgxsrfrz

If I were, and this is just my opinion, I'd wait for SOM. Plus Gideon Jura kinda sucks...at least I'm not a fan.

Speaking of Scars of Mirrodin, is there anything you guys want in the set ?
Old 08-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #20
Xaios
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychobuddy_101 View Post
If I were, and this is just my opinion, I'd wait for SOM. Plus Gideon Jura kinda sucks...at least I'm not a fan.

Speaking of Scars of Mirrodin, is there anything you guys want in the set ?
Gideon can be quite strong in the right application, but it's very specific. Probably doesn't justify the cost.

Wizards has all but shouted from the rooftops that Scars of Mirrodin will feature a new Elspeth planeswalker, which is great, cause I love version 1.

Also, no affinity. Please.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #21
Psychobuddy
edxgxsrfrz

Would you mind enlightening me as to what Gideon could be used for, I see potential, but then again I see potential in most cards. Whatever it is, most likely doesn ‘t justify paying $45 for him, at lest that is the going rate at my card shop.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #22
Slayer89
The Demon Barber

Gideon is very good, but not in just any deck that can run white. He essentially Fogs, Assassinates, and can beat hard.

If your shop is charging $45 for him, though, you need to find a new place to shop. His going rate is just below $30 tops nowadays. I lucked out and traded mine in to Channel Fireball for a bit over $50 credit back when he was hot.

And yeah, SoM will feature a new Elspeth and a new Planeswalker named Koth has also been confirmed.

About picking up Elspeths with the other cards, I'd definitely try and find another option. With the new Duel decks coming out and Standard rotating in just over a month, her value will definitely drop a bit. She'll still be worth something, but not what she's worth now. I mean, even right now a Jace and Primeval is just a few bucks short of being even for 2 Elspeth and 2 Gideon, and that will shift a good bit in just a few weeks. I mean, I guess there's a possibility that Gideon will go back up again, but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

But not for long ...

Old 08-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #23
Xaios
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
Gideon is very good, but not in just any deck that can run white. He essentially Fogs, Assassinates, and can beat hard.

If your shop is charging $45 for him, though, you need to find a new place to shop. His going rate is just below $30 tops nowadays. I lucked out and traded mine in to Channel Fireball for a bit over $50 credit back when he was hot.
Agreed with this post $45.00 is too much for a Gideon. It WAS up to $60.00 at one point, but not for a while now. I suppose it's possible that your store has simply been sitting on it since it was worth $45.00 and just hasn't updated the price. At my local store, for high priced rares, they usually go with what Starcitygames.com says the price is, as they're the pre-emminent single card shop for MTG. Granted, in the case of the Jaces, the owner just wanted them to sell fast, so he discounted them MASSIVELY and I got lucky. Lower cost rares that are in moderate demand, like say a $1.00 rare that happens to be seeing a lot of play, our store will usually charge $2.00 for them, but only when they're very cheap rares.

And Slayer89 hit the nail on the head as to what Gideon can do. In Super Friends, he can be used in conjunction with Ajani Vengeant to destroy an imposing threat. Say your opponent drops a titan, you can go "nuh-uh" on your turn, tap it with Ajani Vengeant and kill it with Gideon. It's a combo similar to the Blinding Mage/Royal Assissin combo you'll see in M11 draft. And if you're playing an aggro deck with lots of creatures who are ready to beat your ass in, you can force another turn by getting all your opponents creatures to attack him. Lastly, you can use him in conjuction with Elspeth to bring out a nice 9/9 flyer to lay the smack down. Sure, it dies to removal, but what the heck doesn't these days?

In short, Gideon has no SUPERWTFOMFGBBQ combo, but he has an amazing amount of utility for a single card.

Just... don't Clone him or Rite of Replication him when you make him a creature, as he's still technically a planeswalker, he WILL die, and so will your copy.

Actually, that's an interesting tactic for the mirror. If you're playing a U/W control deck with Leyline of Anticipation and your opponent sends a Gideon at you as a creature, you could technically in response drop a Renegade Doppelganger and nuke both.

Oh, the plays, the plays...
Old 08-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #24
Guamskyy
Hwat you call me?

I wish I had the ability to make my own deck :l Are you guys just making your decks by land or what? I just buy the deck and then add some good cards I have lying around.

You gotta pay the troll toll, to get into the boy's hole.

My bandcamp for my music project, Guamskyy. Enjoy!
Guamskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #25
Psychobuddy
edxgxsrfrz

Yeah I do need to find a new store, the one I go to is just the most convenient. There are a couple other stores I should check out around here.

Thanks for the info on Gideon guys. Still he doesn't seem worth it but it's nice having some combo ideas on the off chance that I get one.

Also Xaios thank you for pointing out the Blinding Mage/Royal Assassin combo, I have both of them and never realized the potential...

EDIT: Guambomb, if I understood your question correctly, what I do when I make a deck is look for a combo in my cards...for instance Avenger of Zendikar and Splinter Twin...which essentially gives you unlimited creature tokens, once I have my combo[s] worked out I build a deck that compliments it, makes it easier to pull of, or makes it stronger. Granted that's just a quick overview of deck building and there are other ways but that has been the most effective way for me to build decks.