homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food Exercise plans, recipes & general healthy living discussion here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
espec1000
ss.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cabbage Soup Diet/Detox

Has anyone here ever tried this? It's basically seven days of cabbage soup eating with other restricted foods that you can eat and you can lose up to 10lbs. I think most of it is water weight which means it could be temporary, but I'm planning on working out everynight for these seven days to make I sure lose some weight.

This is my first day trying it out and it's pretty tough. The batch of soup I made was pretty much murdered with peper and that's all I can taste when I eat it. It tastes like hot water and pepper. I've had two bowls today and I'm about to eat more for dinner after work. It doesn't make me very full but at least I can eat as much as I want to.

So have any of you tried it? If you have tried it, did you notice any results?

Old 08-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
matt397
Tr00f

No, just No. I've seen so many people fall for these "soup diets", so Im going to let you in on a secret that alot of body builders and generally well fit people follow. Take in less calories than you spend. simple as that. once you take control of your calorie intake, start eating a proper amount of protein ( 1 gram per pound you weigh ), pound back the veggies and excercise regularly, you'll start to see vast improvements. Also, cut back on sodium, I don't add salt to anything I eat, it makes you retain water. But hey, thats just my opinion an different strokes for different folks.

Gsus died for your sins

Tell the people there's an invisible man in the sky that created the universe and the vast majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin
Old 08-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Stealthdjentstic
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
^ Good advice besides don't eat any salt. You can have some salt just don't throw the .... on everything you eat.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
MaxOfMetal
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt397 View Post
No, just No. I've seen so many people fall for these "soup diets", so Im going to let you in on a secret that alot of body builders and generally well fit people follow. Take in less calories than you spend. simple as that. once you take control of your calorie intake, start eating a proper amount of protein ( 1 gram per pound you weigh ), pound back the veggies and excercise regularly, you'll start to see vast improvements. Also, cut back on sodium, I don't add salt to anything I eat, it makes you retain water. But hey, thats just my opinion an different strokes for different folks.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
Chickenhawk
Monolithic A.D.-dibs

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
My mom tried the cabbage soup crap a couple times. The first time, she lost 8-10lbs. She mainly pissed and .... all the weight off. The second time (7-8 months later), she landed in the hospital. The diet depleted her of nutrients your body NEEDS to function.

Listen to matt397, it's good advice.

But, you can throw a little salt a few things here and there. Just don't go crazy. Oddly enough, if you don't have enough salt in your diet, you WON'T sweat. But, if you have too much, you won't sweat. Find the happy medium, and stay towards the lesser side.

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
- Woodrow Wilson
Old 08-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
xtrustisyoursx
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you have a proper diet, you have no need for a detox. We already have an incredibly efficient detoxification system called kidneys and livers.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
AK DRAGON
Guitar Popcicle

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
DIETS in general NEVER EVER work. Exercise, portion control, and healthy whole foods FTW!
Old 08-12-2010, 01:37 AM   #8
poopyalligator
Dr.Poopyalligator

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Cabbage/onion soup diets are mostly used in hospital setting to lose 10-15 pounds before a procedure. There is some validity in detox qualities of the diet, but like some people have already said, it deprives you of a lot of the nutrients that your body needs. If you really want to lose some weight, calorie counting and exercise is the only really surefire way to do it.

My main setup:
Ibanez uv7bk green dot, Engl fireball 60, genz benz g flex 2x12.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
matt397
Tr00f

I said cut back on sodium, not go out of your way to cut it completely out of your diet. There is sooo much salt in everything we eat that there really isn't any need to add that much salt to what we eat.

Gsus died for your sins

Tell the people there's an invisible man in the sky that created the universe and the vast majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin
Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #10
Origin
Rainbow In The Dark

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Diets = No
Common sense with eating, exercise = Yes

Lost 20 pounds of fat weight this summer so far, I've never felt this good in my life.
....load of green tea, and GO RUNNING.

Praise the sun!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
espec1000
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyalligator View Post
If you really want to lose some weight, calorie counting and exercise is the only really surefire way to do it.
I've been doing the calorie counting thing for a few months now (ala weight watchers) and it's been going pretty well.

I had a pretty good diet and exercise routine before hand, but I wanted to try this more for ....s and giggles/the detox portion. I am a little worried about the nutrition side of things as yesterday I felt like puking my guts out. I understand that this can be a symptom of detoxing, feeling sick for a couple days.

The detox I'm on isn't to bad in terms of nutrition. Like I said, each day you are allowed to eat something new. For example:

Today (my second day): I can eat a baked potatoe for dinner with my cooked veggies. Big whoop, but I'm actually super excited about it.

The second last day: I can eat meat on this day (fish, chicken, steak)

The last day: I can eat a bunch of rice and veggies. I'll make a mean stir fry.

I do have to keep eating the soup during the week. I'm hoping I can keep sane enough to make it to the last few days where I can eat some proper food.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #12
espec1000
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt397 View Post
I agree %100. That is the correct way to properly keep in shape. I'm trying this more as a test/detox, not a diet to get in shape.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
matt397
Tr00f

Quote:
Originally Posted by espec1000 View Post
I agree %100. That is the correct way to properly keep in shape. I'm trying this more as a test/detox, not a diet to get in shape.
Could do what Devin Townsend does, don't eat anything for 2 weeks except water and a regiment of multivitamins. Anyway, best of luck.

Gsus died for your sins

Old 08-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
Tiger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I see it doing way more harm than good.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
espec1000
ss.org Regular

^ What's the harm? That cabbage soup?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #16
jeremyb
SS.org Regular

Detox is a load of crap, what your body does naturally is detox or you would die! Best thing you can do is eat a balanced diet and exercise, there's no quick way to long term and lasting!!! weight loss.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #17
Stealthdjentstic
Banned

Quote:
^ What's the harm? That cabbage soup?
The lack of any normal nutrients.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #18
Peekaboo_eeeeek
Lady_Elixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK DRAGON View Post
DIETS in general NEVER EVER work. Exercise, portion control, and healthy whole foods FTW!
Very, very true & never EVER fails. The hardest part about wanting to lose weight is getting up the will power & enthusiasm to do anything about it...but if you have the will power to be eating nothing but cabbage-flavoured water, you most certainly have the same will power to be eating a healthy diet without such extreme measures.

Besides, as people have mentioned, these kinds of crash diets are really dangerous & shouldn't be used unless it's extreme measures. I mean, what's the long-term plan for keeping the weight off? Coz within a few months of stopping eating/drinking this crap, you'll pile weight back on that you lost during the diet

I've prob lost about 2stone (about 2lbs) in the past month & a half from simply getting off my butt & eating less junk, I'd say the proof is in the low-fat pudding

"From even the greatest of horrors, irony is seldom absent"... H.P Lovecraft
Old 08-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #19
espec1000
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekaboo_eeeeek View Post
Very, very true & never EVER fails. The hardest part about wanting to lose weight is getting up the will power & enthusiasm to do anything about it...but if you have the will power to be eating nothing but cabbage-flavoured water, you most certainly have the same will power to be eating a healthy diet without such extreme measures.
As stated before, I am on a healthy diet and do exercise on a daily basis. This was done more so out of curiosity, I figure seven days of trying something new would be fun.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #20
espec1000
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
The lack of any normal nutrients.
I'm not sure which lack of nutrients you are talking about.

The diet consists of vegetables, meats, grains and fruits.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #21
Sang-Drax
God is dad

Quote:

He meant if all you eat is cabbage soup.

That said, I've grown addicted to vegetable soup. I like it more creamy than watery (I usually blend part of it). Brown or white beans have magical powers and can turn any disgusting mix of hideous greens into a delicacy.

I usually chop some baked meat to go with it, and also sprinkle Parmesan cheese over it, like Italians do. Hmmm.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #22
Peekaboo_eeeeek
Lady_Elixer

Smile

Quote:
As stated before, I am on a healthy diet and do exercise on a daily basis. This was done more so out of curiosity, I figure seven days of trying something new would be fun.
Quote:

I appreciate that you've already said that you're on a healthy diet etc, and I'm not meaning to preach at all, so I really do apologise if it comes across as such. I just sincerely hope that your 7 days of "trying something new" doesn't do you any harm, as I've seen the worse effects of these fad diets before

However, that being said, if you are still eating meats, grains & pulses, then you're not on a "cabbage soup" diet; because that literally consists of eating very very little apart from said cabbage-water, which is meant to make up 2 of your 3 meals a day. So basically a pre-planned breakfast, then cabbage soup for lunch, and cabbage soup for dinner with either meat or pulses on the side a couple times a week, if you're lucky. And cramming yourself with other things depending on what version of the diet you're going with.

Nothing about this "diet" is healthy - yes, veggies are good for you, but removing things from your system only to binge on them a day or two later ISN'T.
An interesting thing for you to be trying out though - would appreciate knowing how it turns out.Might make an interesting article

"From even the greatest of horrors, irony is seldom absent"... H.P Lovecraft
Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #23
Explorer
He seldomly knows...

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
I am a little worried about the nutrition side of things as yesterday I felt like puking my guts out. I understand that this can be a symptom of detoxing, feeling sick for a couple days.
As has been noted, the body is already evolved to get rid of toxins.

I want to point out a verbal trap you caught yourself in. Your understanding that feeling sick for a few days is a symptom of "detoxing" is incorrect. It would be more accurate to look at it this way:

There are some who argue that the human body isn't already efficient at removing toxins. (Yes, there is a host of literature that shows these people are wrong; I'm sure you can find it easily through Google by looking up the subject on Quackwatch.)

Those who argue that the human body needs to remove toxins in this way (and who are wrong, remember) feel sick when doing so.

It is very likely that their feeling sick is because they are doing something unhealthy.

It is very likely that you are feeling sick because you are doing something unhealthy.

Now, you're probably smarter than those I know who insist on detoxing (all of whom are always in poor health, and who insist that just means they need to "detox" more). You know that you feel sick when something is wrong, and that when the wrong condition is removed, you feel better. Whether the wrong condition is overeating, a virus, lack of water, or a lack of calories/protein/good balance of vitamins and minerals, your body has an amazing ability to tell you that you should stop doing something that is causing immediate harm. Your body is telling you that now. What did you change? Your diet.

----

It's funny... I know lots of people who go for fad diets (including "detoxing"). I've offered to help them lose weight and to get in better shape, and a very few have taken me up on it. It's interesting to go out with mixed groups (idiot detoxers and those who started eating less than they burn) and hearing all the bad advice the detoxers have for those who are having success with a healthy approach. I use Tyler Durden's approach in such situations:

"So, you say one can lose weight and feel better by doing it your way? How's that workin' out for you?"

I sometimes feel bad for slamming people, but if they can take the slamming and still do the things that are hurting them, then I really don't think they're capable of remembering their hurt feelings for very long....

Anyway, don't keep hurting yourself.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Old 08-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #24
Sang-Drax
God is dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
As has been noted, the body is already evolved to get rid of toxins.
Oh thank you. I had this urge to point out how great of a bull.... is this 'detoxing' stuff, but didn't really want to go through the hassle.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #25
Konfyouzd
Dread-I Master

All those diets seem like bull.... to me. The first time you stray from it even slightly you gain a .... load of weight back. It's better to just find a healthy routine you can see yourself sticking with for a prolonged period of time (and that works, of course! )

Closed Thread