homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
groph
surrounded by chairs

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Those "metalhead moments"

You know, when you're walking down the street wearing your super-gory Cannibal Corpse shirt and some dude from across the road yells at you and throws up the horns?

I was at work the other day, minding the gift shop as I work at a museum. I saw a guy walk by and I swore that he was wearing a Neuraxis shirt. Now, I'm wearing a red shirt with a nametag, and black pants. I also don't look particularly "metal". Eventually this guy comes into the shop, and I help him look for something. I had, at this point, confirmed that he was indeed wearing a Neuraxis shirt, so I say "sweet shirt by the way"

He looks down at his shirt, then up at me, smiles like crazy and pumps his fist. I told him that Neuraxis came to Halifax a while ago but I didn't go and feel like shooting myself for not going (I wasn't into them at the time). When he was on his way out of the shop he shook my hand.

Then, at my previous job pushing carts for the local grocery store (don't ever do this), I was working the closing shift. I'm on my way out of the store, heading into the lot to take a load (I took many loads a night when I worked there, one after the other until my face was soaked) when I saw a couple of guys standing there, one was wearing a Behemoth shirt. I said to him "that band ....ing rules!" and he looks at me, all shocked, and then I open up my work shirt to reveal my Suffocation shirt underneath. We proceeded to have a little conversation, and we ran into each other on the bus a few times. Metal people are always the nicest.

I'm sure some of you guys had "moments" like these. It's just awesome when someone recognizes your shirt, or they overhear your headphones and can actually relate, especially when it's totally out of the blue IE: not at a show.
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Voodoo Turkey
SS.org Regular

I had a guy hug me in the street cos I was wearing my Symphony X shirt about a year ago! It was really strange to be honest cos I'm not used to random people hugging me, especially other guys!! Still, we got talking about Divine Wings of Tragedy and V and he was a pretty cool guy actually!
Voodoo Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Empryrean
Undecided forever

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I was walkin around one night passed some liquor store, and a guy walked out with a 24 case and pointed at my shirt then proceeded to growl "Breaking the barricade of infinite cognizance" and gave me a high five

[ry_z] 4:17 am: You looked tiredness in the face, flexed, and canceled it.
Empryrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
BrainArt
Deftones Guru.

I was at the store with my mom and I was wearing my Dream Theater beanie, and a guy off to the side of the line noticed it, so we started talking about DT, Satriani and Vai.

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, Jakke and -42.

I am Poi; The Ipu pounding, Ukulele shredding rapey clown, who ruins childhood dreams of balloon animals!
BrainArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
s_k_mullins
!@#$?!

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't wear band t-shirts often, but I've had people comment on my Alice in Chains, Metallica, Lamb of God, and Killswitch Engage, and Deftones tees with "Awesome shirt!" or "I love that band!"

Also, I have Metallica, Alice in Chains, and Slipknot decals on the back window of my truck and I've had people honk the horn and give me the horns out their window.
s_k_mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Triple7
The Decepticon

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
One time I was stopped at a light in the center of my town blasting metal of some sort (can't remember what it was), and a school bus driver with kids in the bus opened up the doors got my attention, ( the music was really loud) and flashed me the horns and started headbanging.
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Arterial
Dreamer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
At a party I was wearing a BTBAM shirt, and a girl asked me if I was an emo...

http://soundcloud.com/technicolourdreamcode

Ibanez J-Custom RG8570 TT
Ibanez J-Custom RG8570 DR
Ibanez RGA321F Prestige
Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Ibanez PGM301 - Team J. Craft
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra
Arterial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
Joose
Custom User Title

Oh yeah, definitely had that happen.

Happened a couple weeks ago with my Periphery shirt when I was in Old St Augustine.

Happens with my Sevendust shirts any time I go out. Which i consider one of those moments cause I never meet any fans lol.

Happened with my Whitechapel shirt before they were really known.
Joose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
JoeMalov
ss.org Regular

Well this wasn't really a work situation, but I was at Warped Tour in Cleveland a few days ago and I had just gotten done watching Dillinger Escape Plan (phenomenal by the way). I was really starting to get pissed at all the scene kids, when I saw one kid walking towards me wearing a Daath shirt. We proceeded to have a 20 minute conversation about how awesome Daath is
JoeMalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
cypher858
SS.org Regular

ive gotten compliments on my veil of maya shirts all over the place

Shmexshellent.
..... pipe fire fighter grinder metal!
cypher858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
Riffer
PRS SE Inspector

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I was at a show one time and I had an Immortal shirt on and one long haired like 16 year old kid just hopped out of nowhere and did the black meat pose with his hair in front of his face and his hands in claw form and just went "IMMORTAL! AAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!" And then walked away.

"It's a long way, to the top, if you wanna rock n' roll" - Bon Scott
Riffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
Nights_Blood
Fire and Brimstone

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by groph View Post
I'm on my way out of the store, heading into the lot to take a load (I took many loads a night when I worked there, one after the other until my face was soaked)
I couldn't stop stop laughing when I read that.

Aside from all the ".... yeah, Maiden"'s whenever I wear a Maiden shirt, there was a guy working at a Starbucks who noticed my Scar Symmetry shirt. It's awesome whenever I meet another SS fan, but it's even more awesome when they give you a delicious beverage as you talk about Holographic Universe.
Nights_Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
Sofos
СофоƆ

i went to a YOB and Acrassicauda concert, and knowing the guys in Acrassicauda, they took me back stage. I was wearing a Willow Wisp shirt, a underground, little known Black/Death/Experimental band from LA. The vocalist for YOB came up to me and was like "Willow Wisp? LA right? Damn good band!" I was like :O HIGH FIVE!!! haha. A bunch of really nice guys.

Formerly "Soldiers Of Filth"

In desperate need of a 64-String Meshuggah-Harp

Blackened Death Metal from Olympia, WA
MySpace Facebook ReverbNation YouTube

“Very atmospheric and well done.”
— Ashmedi (Melechesh), Facebook
“Music is dark and heavy, really cool!”
— Oli Beaudoin (Neuraxis, Keep of Kalessin, Belphegor, Kataklysm), Facebook
วัดאַיִן
СофоƆ
Sofos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #14
AdamMaz
SS.org Regular

I was at a house party, in the kitchen with a good view of the front door. Sixteen year old kid comes in wearing an Acid Bath shirt, so I stop and proclaim "WHEN THE KITE STRING POPS!"
AdamMaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
matty2fatty
SS.org Regular

I was walking down the street with a Goatwhore shirt on. It's my favorite shirt because it says 'WHO NEEDS A GOD WHEN YOU'VE GOT SATAN?' in huge letters across the back. I had a guy yell out 'I have the same ....in shirt! GOATWHORE RULES!!!!!!!!!!'

Oh, and to the OP, I just found out yesterday that High on Fire is playing the Halifax Pop Explosion in October, you need to get on that

EDIT: And, .... the Facts is playing the Paragon on Friday the 30th. They're a pretty killer grind band from Ottawa with a hot blond lead singer!

I'd have to say shredding is more than just soloing... Its taking that axe and making it your bitch - Sniper Johnny
matty2fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #16
The Beard
Suttbex

The other day me and one of my bandmates went to Subway after practice and there was this big dude in front of me in line. He kinda turned around to see who was behind him, then he noticed my Lamb Of God shirt and then proceeded to tell me how he saw John Mayer and Keith Urban (i think) on the country channel playing a song together and that the dude playing the drums for the song was wearing the same shirt that I was
The guy was like "something tells me that guy was in the gig for the money" haha

There was another time where the same bandmate and I were at a Guitar Center trying out cabs for my triple recto. I was wearing a Periphery shirt and Veil of Maya shorts and one of the employees walked up and said "Those are both AMAZING bands" and my bandmate and I had like, an hour-long conversation about everything from Sumerian bands to acoustic guitars to Hatebreed
It's funny what wearing your favorite band's shirt can start! haha
The Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #17
techcoreriffman
: roll :

Whenever I wear my Veil of Maya hoodie I get honked at all the time.

One time I was working a concession stand with a The Faceless shirt on, and some 20 something year old with hair down to his ass came up, pointed at my chest, said "You are a ....ing badass kid" and walked off, throwing the horns. I thought that was kinda cool.

[SevenStringSam] 8:31 pm: im literally gunna shove an ice dildo up my ass

[Necris] 4:55 pm: Its like going balls deep on a whale when its rectum is made of cactuses.
[Necris] 4:56 pm: Another song title.
techcoreriffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #18
Blackhearted
SS.org Regular

This happened just yesterday. Two of my friends and I were in DC, at the National Gallery of Art, doing our summer project for AP Art History. I was wearing the Hellhounds Children of Bodom shirt, and we're in the room with the enormous oil painting of Daniel & the Lions. This guy, who looks like an everyday Washington staffer (male Caucasian, white dress shirt, badge/keychain, glasses, close-cropped hair) walks up, takes a look at my shirt, and says "Children of Bodom, eh? Nice." I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped, but I said thanks as he moved on.
Blackhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #19
CrownofWorms
SS.org Regular

a few months ago my history teacher noticed me wearing my children of bodom shirt. we started talking about bands like iced earth, cannibal corpse, megadeth, metallica and everybody and class were either sighing or confused

a few weeks ago while getting of the train i met a guy with a Dark Throne shirt had an extremely short conversation cus of the rain. living in the south side and in a black majority area, it was nice to see a fellow metalhead rather than a poser who wears dark side of the moon shirts and doesnt know .... about the band or genre.
CrownofWorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #20
TheAceOfSpades1
ss.org Regular

The last time I had one of these moments was just the two days ago when I was at Valley Fair wearing my white Tool shirt with the Lateralus artwork on the back and I saw a guy getting off the Renegade rollercoaster wearing the same exact shirt that I was and I waited for him to exit and ran up to him exclaiming "Dude, Tool!" and pointed at the front of his shirt and excitedly he said "Dude!" and I pointed at the front of my shirt and then pointed at the back of his shirt and I pointed at the back of my shirt and we laughed. I'd never seen anyone else with that specific Tool shirt before so it was exciting haha.
TheAceOfSpades1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 PM   #21
jymellis
Talk To DeWalt

people dont talk to me no matter what im wearing.
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #22
Stealthdjentstic
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The only band shirt I have is the Origin Antithesis shirt. I usually only ever say nice shirt to people wearing less known bands. I would never say Hi to a metallica shirt wearer because they usually think DM is emo. One time though when I was wearing my Origin shirt some guys from a local music store saw me and they were walking around with an esteemed lady of the night and they said nice shirt. Another time a moderately cute chick recognized my Origin shirt which is shocking because nobody knows who they are
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #23
Slayer89
The Demon Barber

One day I was wearing my God Forbid T-shirt that says "Metal as ...." on the back, and suddenly a truck drove by and I hear someone in it yell, ".... yeah!" and see horns sticking out the window.

Another time I was walking out of Target and there was some guy standing outside in a suit asking for signatures for some petition, and after I agreed to sign he mentions how he loves my shirt and we chat a good bit about Behemoth, Belphegor, and Dying Fetus.

There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with ....
And the vermin of the world inhabit it
But not for long ...

Slayer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #24
Raoul Duke
This is bat country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer89 View Post
One day I was wearing my God Forbid T-shirt that says "Metal as ...." on the back, and suddenly a truck drove by and I hear someone in it yell, ".... yeah!" and see horns sticking out the window.

I have that shirt too

I used to work as a Kitchen hand in a pub in the City and sometimes I'd go out after I finished work at 11pm. One night, my mates convinced me to meet up with them at some club after work, I forgot i wore my "metal as ...." shirt to work that day

So here I am walking around some Techno/Electro club wearing my metal as .... shirt . I was getting a few weird looks to say the least. Later that night I was standing at the bar and get a tap on the shoulder, turn around and this guy asks me if I saw them in Sydney 2 weeks ago. I said "Yeah, I caught a drum stick..."

Turns out he was at the gig, a HUGE God Forbid fan and a metal head in general. Me and him then had a mad chat about how awesome the concert was and about how .... the music at the club was

I don't think it's nice, you laughing. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. Gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:23 AM   #25
wannabguitarist
SS Contributor

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I have a few but these are my favorites. I'm not a metal looking dude and the band shirts I own don't scream metal.

1. I was at the UCSD Sungod festival (think big on campus party where people just get really ....ed up and wander campus) and my house mate and I wandered in the dance tent. I was wearing a BTBAM Colors shirt and some random dude in a Dream Theater shirt yells "feed me fear!" to which I reply "now it's time to see how you died." We high-fived, then me hugged my house mate (very metal looking dude) and I and ran off. We were all on ecstasy so it made the whole thing ok

2. I was at my friend's frat party wearing a Dream Theater shirt and some drunk guy started yelling the lyrics to "Pull Me Under" when he saw my shirt then proceeded to pour me shots.

Last edited by wannabguitarist; 07-15-2010 at 10:27 PM.
wannabguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote