homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
Riffer
PRS SE Inspector

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Nergal VS Christians!!!! (Pro-Nergal)

So Nergal ripped up a Bible now he faces 2 years in prison possibly. LAME!!!
BEHEMOTH?S Frontman Formally Charged for Bible Destruction | Fueds | Metal Injection

EDIT: Might be in wrong section, I'm not sure.

"It's a long way, to the top, if you wanna rock n' roll" - Bon Scott
Old 03-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Cheesebuiscut
Loves his Q-tuners

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
They should just stick to america.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
ivancic1al
Probrem?

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
man that's ridiculous....i'm catholic, granted, a very liberal catholic, and sometimes, i just shake my head and ask, wtf are you guys doing? every time they try and sue/imprison someone for what in this country would be freedom of speech, i just get pissed off and somewhat embarrassed to be affiliated with the church. good luck nergal!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

On one hand I think doing something that may be considered offensive as a figure of admiration by some people, is a foolish thing, however I also advocate freedom of speech and it would be a shame to see his musical career stalled by a jail sentence.

Then, he did break the law which however way you spin it, is breaking the law. I guess I'm sorta half and half.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Evil7
LowCrushingMetal

wow 2 years for ripping some ....ing paper!!!
no wonder the pope hides behind thick bullett proof glass...

I mean.... .... ..... isnt it the most printed book in existance?
Im sure there's a back up somewhere...
Old 03-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Customisbetter
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
OK this is in Poland. I thought this was in America and was about to freak the .... out.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
DrakkarTyrannis
WWSD?

Hope Nergal stays out of trouble.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Uncle Remus
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Racist Laws FTMFL
Old 03-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
davidian29
duh-dum

I'm a christian(though, "free-form") and as Nergal himself stated, it is part of his artistic license. The majority may not be happy with it but at the end of the day he's a very well educated grown man expressing his thoughts through the medium hes chosen. The fact that this is 3 years after said incident is also ridiculous, and I believe it's probably to try and make an example of him for the growing numbers of similar bands in Poland and the surrounding areas.

With that said, I'm a huge Nergal fan. He's said before that what he truly hates is organized religion not really the idea of the religion. He uses satan as a metaphor for rebelling against organized religion as he did God.

Sorry if this was a little preachy which would be funny considering the topic Anyway, good luck to him!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
Origin
Rainbow In The Dark

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
It's just a book. I don't care if you rip up my favourite book, because it's a goddamn BOOK. Nothing in it is proven, the stories are far more barbaric and amoral than ANYTHING Nergal could EVER do, and...did I mention it's JUST A BOOK? This is moronic, it shouldn't even be news.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
lucasreis
ERG Ambassador

I'm roman catholic but I think it's ....ING RIDICULOUS to arrest someone for ripping a bible. This sucks, really.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
SerratedSkies
SS.org Regular

Let's treat this situation really hood-like and airbrush "Free Nergal" on a long ass white T. Maybe even film one of those music videos that comes after the real music video. DMX did it one time, it was hard.

Seriously, I'm a huge Behemoth fan, and have been for years. Part of the reason I love them so much is because they were never stuck on being entirely anit-christian (entirely is a tough word... maybe they're 80% anti-christian, 20% story tellers) but they never bitched out. Every time I see Nergal rip up a bible live, I get goosebumps. Freedom of speach son, .... the haters.

Buy an RG1527 and skip the bull.....

9 out of 10 doctors agree - You negative rep'd me out of nerdrage.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
Rick
ALL HAIL DJOD

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'm with Ross on this one.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Old 03-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
Stealthdjentstic
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #15
scottro202
I'm walkin' here!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
As a more-or-less Christian, I feel that's ridiculous. Not the ripping of the Bible, I really couldn't care less about that, but the fact he gets 2 years in jail for that.

On the other hand, it is apparently the law there, so I guess my problem is more with the law itself that says you can go to jail for ripping a bible moreso than anything.

Charlie Sheen says listen to my outlaw country demo.
scottykrieg.bandcamp.com

"All of a sudden I'm making out with someone and I'm thinking "sweet, I'm awesome at picking up chicks, I wasn't even trying... wait, this is a lot hairier than it should be, right?" - Naw38
Old 03-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #16
Hollowman
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Who cares, it's a BOOK nobody cares when they ban books or when the religious sects do book burnings, so why give him 2 years in jail.none of the mentioned have had to serve time.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
JohnIce
Singlecoils = tr00

Ridiculous. These politics belong in the middle ages. I could possibly understand this if he was insulting/discriminating against a minority. For example, saying we should destroy all homosexuals or jews or whatever, that is a criminal offense in Sweden. However, opposing the majority and being charged for it, that's not ok. That's Soviet thinking right there.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #18
ry_z
Ikebana Noise Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil7 View Post
wow 2 years for ripping some ....ing paper!!!

I mean.... .... ..... isnt it the most printed book in existance?
Im sure there's a back up somewhere...
This. Regardless of what anyone may think of its content, the Bible is a book. A book of which an estimated 2.5 to 6 billion copies have been printed. It's made of wood, for ....'s sake.

You bite at TVs, what do they taste like?
Last.fm
Old 03-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #19
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_z View Post
This. Regardless of what anyone may think of its content, the Bible is a book. A book of which an estimated 2.5 to 6 billion copies have been printed. It's made of wood, for ....'s sake.
It's still a book that means a lot to a lot of people. He was being offensive and broke the law. Granted, their sentence is heavy, but he is still in the wrong in my opinion. Theres enough tension in this world between races and religions without people making it worse.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #20
Evil7
LowCrushingMetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
It's still a book that means a lot to a lot of people. He was being offensive and broke the law. Granted, their sentence is heavy, but he is still in the wrong in my opinion. Theres enough tension in this world between races and religions without people making it worse.
Organized religion created most of the tension/war/death in this world.
Someone ripping up a book harms noone.
edit... Religion is a cult where people feed off eachother and judge others by what their religion views as right and wrong. This leads to a "gang" metality of attacking others for not being in the gang and following the gangs rules...
Old 03-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #21
Origin
Rainbow In The Dark

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Religion doesn't need to be defended; it's not proven, there's nothing behind it, it's empty. And that brings me back to that...it's a BOOK. There's more important things to arrest people for, for Christ's sake

PRECISELY Evil7. Faith has caused utter suffering across the world, and it just doesn't stop. All of it's based on ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, which is the most SICKENING part. Getting mad at someone for ripping up a storybook is just ....ing childish and stupid.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #22
vampiregenocide
A Chap Called Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil7 View Post
Organized religion created most of the tension/war/death in this world.
Someone ripping up a book harms noone.
No, the way people behave towards other races and religions causes the tension. In this case, one person has acted offensively towards another religion, theres your tension. I am not Christian, faaaaaaaar from it, but I can see how this would offend people.

I'm not saying either side is right, but Nergal was pretty tasteless in what he did. If you disagree with someones beliefs, fine, but act resonably about it, don't descrate things that are holy to them. Its out of order.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #23
blister7321
SS.org Regular

(i piss on priests) jk im totally on nergals side here 666%
Old 03-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #24
ry_z
Ikebana Noise Club

Entirely putting aside the legal question for the moment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
It's still a book that means a lot to a lot of people. He was being offensive...
To put it bluntly - so what?

I ask this not specifically because of a dislike of Christianity, but in defense of free speech. (Nergal's action certainly counts as speech, in this context. It was merely symbolic - he didn't burn a historic church or something like that, which would be indefensible.)

People must not have the right not to be offended. Otherwise, free speech is impossible.

You bite at TVs, what do they taste like?
Last.fm
Old 03-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #25
JohnIce
Singlecoils = tr00

Indeed. I've never seen atheists fighting a war to support their conviction, whereas the number of religious wars that have happened and still happen today are too many to count. To me, standing against something that has been proved to be severly destructive to mankind, should be fully understandable. For example, if people can criticize the use of motor vehicles, poor garbage handling or smoking or whatever, they should have the exact same right to criticize religion.

This is like saying you can't scrap a car because it's offensive to the oil companies, and should be punished by 2 years in prison.

- edit - For what it's worth, I agree that this was a tasteless and disrespectful act, but he doesn't deserve prison for it. He didn't hurt anyone. I say let your opinions show anyway you want, as long as you don't physically harm anyone.
Closed Thread