homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Empryrean
Undecided forever

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Carvin V3 amp head

Whats the word on these? I've got a marshall cab with Celestion v30's in it and am curious if this would be a correct route to go. I was also considering peavey 5150/6505 but I am wary due to the lack of cleanliness.
Empryrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
djpharoah
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 141 reviews
The Carvin V3 is a great "budget" head and I hate to use budget because people instantly think budget = no tone. It can sound really brutal (shane gibson I think uses one with korn) and it has some great cleans. It also has a .... load more options and more channels than the 5150/6505.

However for shear brutalness or rawness the gain on the 5150 will take it especially if that is the tone you head in your head (like me). Lack of cleans on the 5150 - you gotta decide what you want more.

It's definitely an underground amp - I'd prolly get one down the line as it's very versatile
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Leuchty
Previously CYBERSYN

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The word?

VERSATILITY

great bang for buck amp. I would love to have one too.
Leuchty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Empryrean
Undecided forever

Thanks Dan & Mesh!
Old 02-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
kherman
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've only had my V3 for a few weeks.
But, so far I'm really liking it.
I'm more into the Classic, Prog, and Power metal.
It has more than enough gain for me.
It has 3 channels. 1 clean and 2 gain.
Each channel have 3 modes.
As well as an expanded EQ switch.
Each has their own presence control. (use sparingly)
Master section has a master volume,
a bright knob (like a global presence)
a deep knob ( like a global resonance)
Mid cut (0= no effect. 10= uber scooped)
Boost knob (add 9db of boost)

The trick with this amp is to set your master volume high and use your ch. volumes to adjust how loud you want to be.
This way you're working those power tubes.
I have my master set around 8. my gain chls. set around 2. Clean around 6.
And it's still loud!!
I can't imagine how loud it would be fully cracked open.

There is so much tweakability with this amp.
Once you get a feel for the nuances of all those knobs and switches, there are tons of tones you can achieve.
I'm still experimenting.

I do need to get a better built 4x12 cab.
That's my next goal.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4647_1.gifwww.myspace.com/heddatheband

New CD "The Storm" out now.
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hedda2

HEDDA T-shirts now available at
www.heddatheband.com
kherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
Empryrean
Undecided forever

What cab do you have right now?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
budda
Guiterrorizer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Paired with the right stuff, it will get you into Protest The Hero - fortress territory.

Search Codyyy on here

Old 02-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
Empryrean
Undecided forever

Thank you budda!!
Old 02-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
kherman
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empryrean View Post
What cab do you have right now?
Sonic cabinets.
They're ok.
Not built as nice as a lot of other cabs today.
They have a plywood baffle and base.
But, MDF sides and back.

So I eventually want to pick up an all ply cab like an Avatar or the actual Carvin cab.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4647_1.gifwww.myspace.com/heddatheband

www.heddatheband.com
Old 02-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
MaxOfMetal
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I love my V3. It's not the most expensive amp I've ever owned, but it's definitely the one I've kept around the longest (unlike my JCM800, Single Rec, and 5150), and I plan to keep it forever.

With the right tubes and settings it absolutely roars. Not to mention I can get a very smooth almost liquidy high-gain lead sound that a lot of other amps simply can't deliver. At the moment I have a set of GT 5881s in it and it sound phenomenal, really takes away some of the brightness and a bot of treble compared to the stock EL34s.

It sounds fantastic on it's own, but absolutely HEAVENLY (in an evil way ) with an Overdrive.

People definitely pass it up from just looking at the price (they can be had for as little as $750 delivered, brand new, thanks to Carvin's sales every couple months), but like I've said, to me, as well as previous band mates, it kicks the .... out of some more expensive amps, as far as both tone and features go. It's simply impossible to find a three channel, all tube, high-gain head, at this price point, that's made in the USA by a company who really stands behind their product, and this slays.

Just for ....s and giggles here's a pic of mine from when I first got it about three years ago. Excuse the super ....ty cellphone pic!
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Leuchty
Previously CYBERSYN

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The white is epic!
Leuchty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #12
MaxOfMetal
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYBERSYN View Post
The white is epic!
Thanks man, I can't tell you how much it pains me to have black/grey amps.

In fact that faceplate is soon to be swirled.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
scottro202
I'm walkin' here!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This summer when I get a job again, I will hopefully be buying either a Carvin V3 or Carvin XB100IV. I'm guessing as far as overall versatility, the Carvin V3 wins, huh?

Plus, check this out:

Carvin.com :: V3L

LEDS!!!

Charlie Sheen says listen to my outlaw country demo.
scottykrieg.bandcamp.com

"All of a sudden I'm making out with someone and I'm thinking "sweet, I'm awesome at picking up chicks, I wasn't even trying... wait, this is a lot hairier than it should be, right?" - Naw38
scottro202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
MaxOfMetal
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro202 View Post
This summer when I get a job again, I will hopefully be buying either a Carvin V3 or Carvin XB100IV. I'm guessing as far as overall versatility, the Carvin V3 wins, huh?

Plus, check this out:

Carvin.com :: V3L

LEDS!!!
If you want something more along the lines of a Marshall but more versatile the X100B is the way to go. You can easily get both Plexi and JCM style tones out of it with EL34 tubes, though, it's certainly not a super high-gain head.

I want those LEDs so bad. I'm kinda pissed how Carvin didn't make them backwards compatible in any way. Now I guess I'll just have to get it custom made. At least then I can use my own LEDs.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
scottro202
I'm walkin' here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
If you want something more along the lines of a Marshall but more versatile the X100B is the way to go. You can easily get both Plexi and JCM style tones out of it with EL34 tubes, though, it's certainly not a super high-gain head.

I want those LEDs so bad. I'm kinda pissed how Carvin didn't make them backwards compatible in any way. Now I guess I'll just have to get it custom made. At least then I can use my own LEDs.

You say the XB100IV is along the lines of a Marshall, is there an amp that you could say the V3 is along the lines of?

And that sucks about the LEDs, and how you'll have to go custom.

scottykrieg.bandcamp.com

"All of a sudden I'm making out with someone and I'm thinking "sweet, I'm awesome at picking up chicks, I wasn't even trying... wait, this is a lot hairier than it should be, right?" - Naw38
Old 02-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #16
Samer
Dybbuk

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I have tried a couple of V3's; they all had great tone and plenty of gain, they have a Marshall tone to them but with a bit more gain.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #17
MaxOfMetal
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
You say the XB100IV is along the lines of a Marshall, is there an amp that you could say the V3 is along the lines of?

And that sucks about the LEDs, and how you'll have to go custom.
Something along the lines of a pre-amp gain based amp like a Recto, with a lot of crunch on tap such as a Marshall. I can't say exactly where it lies to tell you the truth. It sounded very little like either my Single Rec or my JCM800 on their own, but had aspects that reflected them both. I will say though, that with the stock EL34s it was voiced much more like a Marshall, very bright and crunchy, but I've never been a fan of that, so I switched it to 6L6GC, which were nice, but I REALLY like the 5881s that are in there now. The V3 is a VERY flexible (see tweakable) amp, so it doesn't really have a basis in either of the two "classic" camps.

I just know for a fact the X100B has a similar circuit to a Marshall along with a similar interface (minus the graphic EQ of course), and it ships with EL34s as well.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #18
scottro202
I'm walkin' here!!!

Quote:
Something along the lines of a pre-amp gain based amp like a Recto, with a lot of crunch on tap such as a Marshall. I can't say exactly where it lies to tell you the truth. It sounded very little like either my Single Rec or my JCM800 on their own, but had aspects that reflected them both. I will say though, that with the stock EL34s it was voiced much more like a Marshall, very bright and crunchy, but I've never been a fan of that, so I switched it to 6L6GC, which were nice, but I REALLY like the 5881s that are in there now. The V3 is a VERY flexible (see tweakable) amp, so it doesn't really have a basis in either of the two "classic" camps.

I just know for a fact the X100B has a similar circuit to a Marshall along with a similar interface (minus the graphic EQ of course), and it ships with EL34s as well.
So with the V3, the tubes really effect the tone? I mean, do they kinda ultimately effect the tone of the amp?

(Sorry for the hijack OP, hope this is helping you learn about the amp somewhat)

scottykrieg.bandcamp.com

Old 02-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #19
MaxOfMetal
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
So with the V3, the tubes really effect the tone? I mean, do they kinda ultimately effect the tone of the amp?
Yes, though realize, that's the case for any tube amp. That's one of the reason people love swapping tubes, because it has an effect on the tone beyond what knob tweaking can do.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #20
scottro202
I'm walkin' here!!!

Quote:
Yes, though realize, that's the case for any tube amp. That's one of the reason people love swapping tubes, because it has an effect on the tone beyond what knob tweaking can do.
Yeah, I've been meaning to experiment with tubes in my amp for a while... But there's sooooo many other things I can spend money on!!!

scottykrieg.bandcamp.com

Old 02-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #21
MaxOfMetal
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, I've been meaning to experiment with tubes in my amp for a while... But there's sooooo many other things I can spend money on!!!
Yeah, it's one of those things that you can't get a real feel for before running it, not to mention you can't return tubes if you don't like them. A matching quad can get pretty costly.

Though, once you do find "those tubes" you tend to stick with them for a long time. Not to mention you typically find the ones that you'll NEVER USE AGAIN.

If you ever do decide to play the tube swapping game, shoot an e-mail to both Doug's Tubes and Eurotubes first. Those guys REALLY know their ...., and they can help to take away a lot of the guess work. Not to mention, if you go Carvin, the guys on the BBS are awfully helpful.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #22
kherman
SS.org Regular

MAX,

How do you like the V3 cab?

Say compared to a Mesa, Avatar, Marshall, etc...

And could you get a pic of the cabs insides?

www.heddatheband.com
Old 02-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #23
MaxOfMetal
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kherman View Post
MAX,

How do you like the V3 cab?

Say compared to a Mesa, Avatar, Marshall, etc...

And could you get a pic of the cabs insides?
I actually really like the cab, better than my Marshall "1960" Lead cab, and the few Mesa cabs I've tried, though I can chalk that up to me just really not liking V30s.

It sounds, ways, and overall feels and responds a lot like my Avatar 412 Traditional did with Celection GT12H30s. Though, the Carvin is a slant.

The G12 Carvin speakers are similar to the V30s but handle more power and have a lot less ice pick like treble. In my opinion they're far better than V30s. Much more warm and balanced. I'm glad I didn't opt for the "upgrade".

I haven't compared it to too many other cabs, so I can't give too detailed of a comparison. All I know is it's a VERY well made cab that comes sounding great from the factory.

As for getting a pic of the guts, sorry man, but I'm just too lazy now to maneuver the cab out from my practice "niche". Perhaps when I order my replacement speakers in a few weeks I can do it then.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #24
Empryrean
Undecided forever

Quote:

The G12 Carvin speakers are similar to the V30s but handle more power and have a lot less ice pick like treble.
This has irritated me as well, should I consider new speakers or just a cab altogether if I get the v3?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #25
MaxOfMetal
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empryrean View Post
This has irritated me as well, should I consider new speakers or just a cab altogether if I get the v3?
Some people LOVE V30's with V3s, which seems to be the consensus on the BBS.

I wouldn't be too worried about it until you actually have the amp and do a little bit of tweaking. If it turns out you don't like the V30's then there's a simple fix that can really help tame the treble and it's to simply put a disc of cardboard in front of the speaker, attached to the grill. The disc should be about 3/4" bigger around all sides of the dust cap of the speaker (essentially the size of a Compact Disc). It will cause the highs to diffuse and overall be significantly less harsh. It works well by only doing it to the top two speakers. It's cheap (usually free) and crazy easy.

For the record I thought the V30's weren't too bad as soon as I took out the EL34s. The thing I really didn't like was the JJ Preamp, EL34 Poweramp, and V30 combo. Though, that's just me.

Also, as a little tip, use the EQX controls relatively sparingly, as a little bit of a turn goes a long way and I've seen plenty of people overuse them when trying out my amp. The individual channel controls are very good at dialing in tones.