homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
DeathMetalDean
ss.org Shredder

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
V picks

These picks look very impressive :O

I first noticed them cuz I seen a vid today

which I think I'm gonna buy the insanity pick, seems pretty awesome.

Insanity

that's info and stuff on it :o but yeah, if I think it's improved my technique within a week I may try out the phsyco pick

Psycho

and there are these which seem quite interesting

All 6 V-Picks

maybe some of you have tried or bought these things before? if so, would you recommend them?

The more strings you have, the more of a man you are!
DeathMetalDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
splinter8451
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Haha there were all kinds of problems with the V-pick maker dude back when I was on jemsite all the time.

Ever hear about Red Bear picks? Red Bear Trading Co. The Best Guitar Picks Made - Your Tone Starts Right Here

I have heard a LOT of people say good things about Red Bear picks (I think Dave Weiner talked about them in a recent riff of the week) and the few people I know who have gotten V-picks have been impressed with them at first but then gone back to regular old Jazz III's.

So if you are trying to spend a ton on a pick I would recommend you look into Red Bear's but if you are set on the crazy size V-Picks then go for it and post your reactions!

"And I want a blowjob from Emma Watson, but sometimes we just gotta deal with what we're given!" -The Armada

my youtube channel- http://www.youtube.com/user/vitreusMD?feature=mhum SikTh, Cyclamen After the Burial covers. More on the way!
splinter8451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
DeathMetalDean
ss.org Shredder

I too have heard about red bears lol I think from the riff of the week as well xD idk I'm sorta set on trying out these V's, they look pretty damn impressive. I guess I could try them and give feedback on 'em lol would really like to try out them red bears sometime too, I'm too adventurous

Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
ShadyDavey
7ibrarian

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
For the money I think V-picks are great (in fact they are what I currently use) but I'm not sure I would recommend them over Jazz-III's for the simple fact that they do alter your tone and can provide an attack that some people don't like.

Tonally I think Red Bear's are fantastic but with the standard of my playing I can't really justify spending 20 on a pick in the same way that Guthrie Govan or Andy Wood can

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
TonalArchitect
Augmented Chords!

I have V-Picks, and they're great. I personally prefer them over Jazz III's, better tone, especially on acoustic.

And you don't have to get the big-ass 10mm thick ones. I prefer the "standard" V-Picks, Acoustic models and such. Which are about 2mm or so. Definitely worth a try. And if the tone is somewhat not to you're liking, try not angling the pick to hell and back. You don't have to.

I posted a review of these things in the Gear and Equipment section

I highly recommend them.

I'll just pull my santa hat down over my eyes and think about Batman fighting a bear. -TomAwesome
TonalArchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
DeathMetalDean
ss.org Shredder

just read the review! niceee

Old 12-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
splinter8451
SS.org Regular

I might order a V-pick sometime after the Christmas season is over, and maybe a Red Bear pick... I dunno.

"And I want a blowjob from Emma Watson, but sometimes we just gotta deal with what we're given!" -The Armada

my youtube channel- http://www.youtube.com/user/vitreusMD?feature=mhum SikTh, Cyclamen After the Burial covers. More on the way!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
ShadyDavey
7ibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonalArchitect View Post
I have V-Picks, and they're great. I personally prefer them over Jazz III's, better tone, especially on acoustic.
That's exactly the way I feel - I like the way that they alter my tone and accentuate some of the frequencies which really seem to matter. I wouldn't go back to Jazz III's now especially as with the V-picks I never seem to drop them

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
Dyingsea
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've been using a small pointy v-pick for over a year now. Replaced everything I had tried previously including Jazz III's. After 16 years of playing I won't go to another pick.
Dyingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
Mvotre
SS.org Regular

i bought some v-picks..

at first it sounds amazing, but right now im using dava picks, jazz 3 size
sometimes i fool around with the Vs, and they sound nice, but....
Mvotre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
splinter8451
SS.org Regular

I was thinking about checking out those Dava picks too haha. I just never get around to buying picks. I have so many Jazz III's lying around I have no reason too.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
DarkRaven03
ss.org Regular

I've played both V-picks and Red Bears. My #1 pick is now the Red Bear Tuff Tone Classic H w/ grip holes. Here's the list of picks I've tried and companies they're from:

Dunlop:

Ultex (.73,1.0,1.14)
Ultex Sharp (1.0,1.14,1.40,2.0)
Tortex (.60,.73,.88,1.0,1.14)
Jazz III (Black, EJ Sig)
Jazztone (205,208)
Gels (XH)
Big Stubby (1.0,2.0,3.0)
Stubby (1.0,2.0,3.0)
Delrin (.71,.96,1.5,2.0)
Gator Grip (.71,.96,1.14,1.5,2.0)
Tortex Jazz (1.14)
Tortex Sharp (.73,.88,1.0,1.14,1.35,1.50)
Nylon (.73,.88,1.0)

V-Picks:
Small pointed
Medium pointed
Large pointed
Medium Rounded
Large Rounded
Freakishly Large Rounded
Diamond
Screamer
Medium Rounded Lite (1.0)

Clayton:
Acetal Standard (1.0)
Acetal Triangle (.50, 1.00, 1.52)

Fender:
Celluloid Medium
Celluloid Heavy

Red Bear:
Original Classic H, no grips
Tuff Tone Big Jazzer H, w/ grips
Tuff Tone Classic H, w/ grips

In case it doesn't show, I'm a little OCD about my pick choice. I've found that FOR ME, the Classic pick shape works the best. I've tried to find a pick that is fast, still resists enough for me to feel it, sounds good, and does not slip, and the red bear does just that for me.

Also, I should note that V-picks did not work for me because of my hand oils. They are great picks, but I happen to be one of very few people who has hand oils that make them slip. They do have a classic shape (called the tradition, I believe) which I have not tried, as the material simply will not stay in my hands.

It took me a LONG time to find the pick I'm satisfied with, good luck finding yours!
DarkRaven03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:35 AM   #13
JohnIce
Singlecoils = tr00

Choosing a pick for speed is all well and good, but what I like about small picks (i.e. jazz III's) is that you get so close to the strings with the flesh of your fingers, making it easy to manipulate harmonics and dynamics without having to adjust your picking hand. I find that the guitarists that have the most expressive use of subtle harmonics are usually playing jazzIII's or similar.
JohnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #14
signalgrey
Ambiente Savante

id like to try that Insanity one.
i use the big dunlop rounded triangles. When i met Wes Borland i got to nab some picks from him (i carry one in my wallet) definitely what i like.
signalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
maliciousteve
Lord Green Fingers

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I bought a couple of V picks and while they feel pretty good, they wear out far too quickly. After 1, 2 hour session of rehearsal it was close to near un-useable. Where as the Jazz III's last me a long time.

Such a shame because they felt pretty good.
maliciousteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #16
TonalArchitect
Augmented Chords!

^ That's odd; mine haven't worn much at all, but I don't hold my picks at an extreme angle, so maybe that's it.

I'll just pull my santa hat down over my eyes and think about Batman fighting a bear. -TomAwesome
TonalArchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:02 AM   #17
HumanFuseBen
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
i have used 3 or 4 V picks (always the Jazz III shape) and i LOOOOVE them! They're a but expensive, but they last a really long time. plus, if you get the Jazz III shape, it will last 3 times longer since it is an equilateral triangle and has 3 tips for picking. i liked the clear one better than the glow in the dark one (although it was easier to find when dropped!). they add a unique pick attack and really beef up the tone of single string melodies. i love them!
HumanFuseBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:14 PM   #18
liquidcow
ss.org Regular

Until today I hadn't realised that people will pay 20 for a plectrum.
liquidcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #19
splinter8451
SS.org Regular

I wish I could try the expensive ones out before buying them

Until I can try one out I will prob be sticking with the in-store Jazz III style picks.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #20
lurgar
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter8451 View Post
I wish I could try the expensive ones out before buying them

Same here. I know that changing picks can definitely change the tone of the guitar you're playing, but it'd be nice to be able to at least try one out before blindly ordering.
lurgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #21
DeathMetalDean
ss.org Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurgar View Post
Same here. I know that changing picks can definitely change the tone of the guitar you're playing, but it'd be nice to be able to at least try one out before blindly ordering.
yeah

Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #22
Default_M
SS.org Regular

22! I once kicked off in a guitar shop because the picks were 70p each instead of 3 for 1 like I was used to
Default_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #23
DeathMetalDean
ss.org Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Default_M View Post
22! I once kicked off in a guitar shop because the picks were 70p each instead of 3 for 1 like I was used to

Old 12-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #24
abysmalrites
---

I was going to order one of the Jazz III replacements that V-picks offers until I found out about the max grip J-III. Seriously made the Jazz IIIs infinitely better. I can't even play with the normal ones anymore.

also, to anyone who had interest in the max grips, MF will be stocking them starting next month (they're backordered right now).

These self-conceived walls close in upon us
And we shall never see the light of day
abysmalrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #25
splinter8451
SS.org Regular

Hmm, I might be ordering those along with some Dava's over this holiday season. Thanks for the heads up dude!