homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Bass Guitar Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Bass Guitar Discussion All bass guitar related discussion here.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:54 PM   #1
A-Branger
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
J Ferro Basses anyone?

so I came across this brand after seeing it on Instagram suggestions many times
http://www.jferrobass.com/

anyone has any info on it? experience? bought or play any bass? they were at NAMM

so it seems its a new company, like couple of years I think? founded by bass player Jose Ferro, who used to work as a VP of ESP

Quote:
When we say that J Ferro Basses are designed for bassists by bassists, we mean it.With 30+ years in the music industry, founder and designer Jose Ferro took his years of bass and bassist knowledge and transformed them into a brand dedicated to offering what he and his fellow bassists truly want in a bass. His 17 years as Executive Vice President of ESP Guitars has given him experience and knowledge with sales, product development and marketing. In addition to his work behind the scenes, Ferro is also an accomplished recording and touring bassist, affording him a view of his instrument of choice from every possible angle. His ability to capably oversee all aspects of product development from concept design to completion and drive to create a line of his own led to the creation of J Ferro Basses, and Ferro is proud to put his name on his basses.
they offer multiscale stuff too. And pretty dam good prices and cool specs. Im guessing its like Chapman guitars, they dont have distributors, so you buy directly from them, making the price lower.

reason why I ask is because I found myself GASing for this model

Kilian Duarte Signature Model, the guy who plays with Feliz Martin, and Scale the Summit, plus he writes for Bass Musician Mag

I love the looks and the specs are pretty much what I love, 400mm fretboard radius, 45mm nut, 17mm string spacing, and 35" scale lenght would be cool (not my preffered but I can deal with it). Plus I always wondered about the JazzMan pickup config as I like the idea of both (but they dont have a brand). Plus its a 1k$ price, and love the shape

but I havent seen any much info about this brand appart from couple of little NAMM videos and Kilian reviewing another bass.

Just seeying if anyone here had any experience with this brand, if not to make you guys aware of it, basses looks amazing and they offer some multiscale stuff too. Anything that is not a copy of a Fender gets a big plus in my book lol

A-Branger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
olejason
SS.org Regular

I've never heard of them. Are they made in Korea?

I don't know, for $1k you can get a lot of great basses used. Warwick, Music Man, high end Ibanez, etc.
olejason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
A-Branger
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olejason View Post
I've never heard of them. Are they made in Korea?

I don't know, for $1k you can get a lot of great basses used. Warwick, Music Man, high end Ibanez, etc.
thats the thing I have no idea where are they made. For the price I would say Korea too, but jsut wanting to see if it was the WMI factory or not

yeah yeah I know about used basses, but I like them new Im also pretty picky with what specs I like, so MM cant get any because the lack of frets, Warwicks have terrible upper fret access in their corvette the main model, plus the majority of the ones I tried in the past had a pretty chunky neck

donno, I just liked this shape and specs, but as the brand is too new Im not sure what to do, just seeing if by any chance someone has seen/heard anything, or went to NAMM and check them out
Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
iron blast
Northern Winds

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As a owner of several high end basses and warwick being my number one I cant say I agree with you. The fret access on my warwicks feels stupid easy. Well either way to each their own.

Bassist in the Symphonic Black Metal band "Ethereal Blood" http://www.etherealblood.com/
iron blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
A-Branger
SS.org Regular

yeh maybe I need to try one again, but the corvettee I tried had pretty eassy acces to most frets, its jsut the last few who were pretty hard to get. But it wasnt much that, it was the baseball bat neck of all the models I tried.

story was the same, "I love corvettes"... go to a store sees one picks it up..."nope" .....

I know they also do slimmer profiles, maybe I jsuts tried the wrong models. Mind you that was years ago, so if I pick one today it might be totally different

Either way they arent cheap either so they are way out of my price range. And although I love the shape and look of them, I dont like the standard colors/wood they come with
Old 02-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #6
olejason
SS.org Regular

Upper fret access on the Corvette is great. It does somewhat depend on how high you wear the bass though.

As far as neck, the profiles are related to year or production. The bigger necks (what I prefer) are no longer offered as far as I'm aware.

Have you tried any of the higher end Ibanez? I forget the model number but the one w/ natural top and wenge neck is really nice. Really slim neck too if that's what you're into.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
A-Branger
SS.org Regular

yeah Ive tried Ibanez, I own a couple (sr300dx, eda905, btb33), they are on my top of wish list, the premium range, I love the Nordstrand pickups too, and yes, necks feels great for me as I grew up on them.

But the premium range are between 1300-1500$ US, so this JFerro bas is cheaper.

The BTB series has 19mm string spacing, too much for me, and a wider nut too, plus add the 35" scale and its enough for me to say nope. REason why I got the BTB33. The SR series are great, but I only like one wood/color combo they offer, the rest are "meh" to me

mostly its because I really dig this Shape of the JFerro, plus I like te specs, the colors, and Im intrigued about the JAzzMan pickup config.

Plus price, In Australian dolar, this bass is 1300$. not sure on how much shipping would be and if any import taxes. But an Ibanez SR Premium is 2000-2300$aud over here. So you can see why this bass got my attention. MAybe by the time I add shipping/tax/whatever the price wont be worth it, but well..
Old 02-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
olejason
SS.org Regular

Sounds like your mind is pretty much made up. Definitely post a review if you get one, I'd love to know more about them.